• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

Permanently A

Just beat Danganronpa 2 over the weekend, holy shit. What a fucking ride. Overall I didn't like the cast as much as the originals, nor did I find the cases to be as compelling - the ones in DR1 felt more personal - but it's just nutty chapter 5 onwards.. based Nagito > everyone not named Junko Enoshima. Seriously she's so charismatic that if it were real life I'd legit be on the despair side*.

Also am I just dense or was the ending some deux ex machina bullshit? How were they able to escape from the virtual world and retain their memories? That shouldn't have been possible according to the rules that were established. It felt like a cop out and did sour the whole twist with them being the Remnants of Despair.

*Obviously I wouldn't really.

Yeah, its
deus ex machina as fuck. Basically of options 1 and 2, Hajime chose option 3.

GoldStarz

Just beat Danganronpa 2 over the weekend, holy shit. What a fucking ride. Overall I didn't like the cast as much as the originals, nor did I find the cases to be as compelling - the ones in DR1 felt more personal - but it's just nutty chapter 5 onwards.. based Nagito > everyone not named Junko Enoshima. Seriously she's so charismatic that if it were real life I'd legit be on the despair side*.

Also am I just dense or was the ending some deux ex machina bullshit? How were they able to escape from the virtual world and retain their memories? That shouldn't have been possible according to the rules that were established. It felt like a cop out and did sour the whole twist with them being the Remnants of Despair.

*Obviously I wouldn't really.

We don't know if they did. All we know is that whoever took over Hajime's body (Hajime himself or the Izuru 'personality' created by HPA) decided to live as Hajime. We have no idea about whether or not they completely retained their memories and were freed of Junko's brainwashing or if they were faking to plot some sinister revenge.

That said, I don't think it's a total Deus ex Machina, it was well-established that Junko more or less completely broke the program by the end of the game given how glitched out everything became, I don't think it's impossible that could affect how the results worked out.

We've got an official timeline for the DanganRonpa series now!

Looks like all the characters are pretty much confirmed to legally be adults if Class 77 graduated and Class 78 was in its third year.

I think this is the first acknowledgement of both DRAE and DR0 concerning the new anime. The fact that they are shown within the series timeline makes me think they are going to be important for both the Despair and Future arcs. Considering the other works in the franchise, I wonder what does it mean for both DR: Kirigiri and the Hagakure novel canonicity the fact that they are omitted from here.
Thankfully the Togami novels were also omitted, as they seem to messy at best and make a joke of the central conflict.

Also, the fact that the Despair arc seems to reach since the start of the Prep course until the end of the Academy is quite interesting. I believe that's at least 2-3 years of story, so I can't help but worry about its pacing.

GoldStarz

I think this is the first acknowledgement of both DRAE and DR0 concerning the new anime. The fact that they are shown within the series timeline makes me think they are going to be important for both the Despair and Future arcs.
They were acknowledged very early on right when we first started getting bits of info, but ever since the latest PV came out they were pretty much all but dropped from coverage, so it was pretty unclear whether or not they would have relevance.

Permanently A

Hmm, looks like I have to watch a let's play of UDG before the anime.

Also will there be a separate OT for the anime? I always enjoy the OT subtitle suggestions.

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| How do I play this game?

Hmm, looks like I have to watch a let's play of UDG before the anime.

Also will there be a separate OT for the anime? I always enjoy the OT subtitle suggestions.

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| How do I play this game?

im making the ot yes

i have no idea what the name will be because the title is so long

T-Rex.

Banned
Yeah, its
deus ex machina as fuck. Basically of options 1 and 2, Hajime chose option 3.
We don't know if they did. All we know is that whoever took over Hajime's body (Hajime himself or the Izuru 'personality' created by HPA) decided to live as Hajime. We have no idea about whether or not they completely retained their memories and were freed of Junko's brainwashing or if they were faking to plot some sinister revenge.

That said, I don't think it's a total Deus ex Machina, it was well-established that Junko more or less completely broke the program by the end of the game given how glitched out everything became, I don't think it's impossible that could affect how the results worked out.
But why would he have decided to live as Hajime if he didn't retain his experiences from the virtual world? Junko had Izuru prior to that so I don't buy that he'd revert back without any influencing events. You could be right and it could just be a plot but it seems like a stretch to me. Ah well, it was still a great ride. And now on to Ultra Despair Girls.

GoldStarz

But why would he have decided to live as Hajime if he didn't retain his experiences from the virtual world? Junko had Izuru prior to that so I don't buy that he'd revert back without any influencing events. You could be right and it could just be a plot but it seems like a stretch to me. Ah well, it was still a great ride. And now on to Ultra Despair Girls.

Izuru pretty clearly was in a state of self-loathing and it seemed like he hadn't planned on coming out of the events of DR2 standing (whether he thought Hajime or Junko was taking over is another question entirely), it wouldn't surprise me if after all that happened he wasn't at least gonna attempt to change himself and try to overcome those feeling by creating a new identity for himself.

Permanently A

Anyone interested in reading a comprehensive character analysis of Sayaka?

wJzFHMT.gif

GoldStarz

I just had a quick glance and I feel like I already know who wrote this lmao.

Sayaka is a interesting and complex character and I'm sure you could write an essay on her (you could a lot of DR chars tbh) but like that many pages regardless of how many thing are just way too long quotes is kinda ridiculous.

PK Gaming

Lawd.

The mental gymnastics they used to justify
Sayaka going after Leon was pretty pathetic. Like we know those 2 characters died first because the creators were tired of their designs. That's literally it. There was no deep meaning behind why she chose to kill Leon first.

Plus they think Sayaka is physically stronger and more athletic than Leon which is just...

GoldStarz

im making the ot yes

i have no idea what the name will be because the title is so long

DanganRonpa 3 |OT| The first victim is DR2's anime

End of Hope's Peak isn't really necessary since the game is "New DanganRonpa V3" it's hard to confuse them once you got the titles sorted out

Sölf

Everyone's got different tastes, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Some people just don't know they have bad taste.

Triumphant return indeed. I will wait with watching this though. You guys tell me if I can watch that without spoiling UDG (probably not).

FluxWaveZ

Sölf;209054902 said:
Some people just don't know they have bad taste.

Literally the only reason people like Chiaki Nanami is because of "waifu bait." She has no depth; superficial and pandering "endearing character quirks"; the most base level of motivations; the most "Mary Sue" of qualities; genetically engineered to appeal to the nerd fanbase.

GoldStarz

Literally the only reason people like Chiaki Nanami is because of "waifu bait." She has no depth; superficial and pandering "endearing character quirks"; the most base level of motivations; the most "Mary Sue" of qualities; genetically engineered to appeal to the nerd fanbase.

Being an empathetic person who's introverted makes you a Mary Sue now? Woah, I guess I'm a Mary Sue now everyone!

can we please not start shit we literally did this like a couple pages ago?

FluxWaveZ

Being an empathetic person who's introverted makes you a Mary Sue now? Woah, I guess I'm a Mary Sue now everyone!

can we please not start shit we literally did this like a couple pages ago?

No, her being a Mary Sue doesn't refer to her kindness, but her intentionally designed perfection at everything she does as an impeccable guide for the player and the rest of the characters.

Mikan is an empathetic, introverted person and I like her quite a bit.

GoldStarz

Omg the anime(s) starting soon, so excited. Will they be airing on Crunchyroll?

Funimation is streaming it.

Also, Jinjojess posted some spoilery thoughts from her viewing and answered some questions on her blog and I found this other mostly non-spoilery summary in the DR tags.

There are apparently three things that people weren't allowed to spoiler
  • Future Arc's First Victim
  • A character who appears in Despair Arc (presumably not Chiaki)
  • Some third jokey thing

Also it seems that rather ironically
Despair Arc is playing itself as a fluffy comedy right now while Future Arc is really dark.

Edit: I have confirmation that Chiaki was not the secret character Despair Arc

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, that'd make sense.
She was Junko's partner in crime, after all, and at least some of the Despair story will presumably be about how the DR2 cast were converted into despair by them.

cj_iwakura

Also it seems that rather ironically
Despair Arc is playing itself as a fluffy comedy right now while Future Arc is really dark.

Edit: I have confirmation that Chiaki was not the secret character Despair Arc

Probably going to end up the exact opposite in both.

Top Bottom