• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

No, the story is about how they became Ultimate Despair, not about their time as Ult Despair. This is just them in their school uniforms.

I just hope they won't skimp around the details. The story of how people like Sonia, Ibuki, Teruturu and Nekomaru fell into despair is something that sounds like it can be fucked up easily.

GoldStarz

No need to worry. It's not like this is a Seiji Kishi directed anime airing on Tokyo MX or anything...

This is his first time directing an original story, right? Maybe he'll turn out to be better at that then adapting.

I just hope they won't skimp around the details. The story of how people like Sonia, Ibuki, Teruturu and Nekomaru fell into despair is something that sounds like it can be fucked up easily.
TBH, of those three, only Nekomaru I see as having a hard time imagining. Teruteru's reason is actually literally in the game, so IDK how you could mess that up.

This is his first time directing an original story, right? Maybe he'll turn out to be better at that then adapting.

I wouldn't expect him to suddenly become a competent director who understands cinematography, scene construction, proper uses of perspective, or to gain any sort of artistic ability whatsoever just because it's an original title rather than an adaptation.

GoldStarz

I wouldn't expect him to suddenly become a competent director who understands cinematography, scene construction, proper uses of perspective, or to gain any sort of artistic ability whatsoever just because it's an original title rather than an adaptation.

Oh, well that's unfortunate.

FluxWaveZ

The whole decision to turn 3 into an anime has really soured me on the series.

Not me. I would have been way more disappointed if DR3's premise was a game in V3's stead. Much prefer the reboot direction of V3, and I see the fact that the "Hope's Peak arc" is actually getting a conclusion through an anime as a bonus.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Not me. I would have been way more disappointed if DR3's premise was a game in V3's stead. Much prefer the reboot direction of V3, and I see the fact that the "Hope's Peak arc" is actually getting a conclusion through an anime as a bonus.
Considering their track record with the last anime, it feels like this conclusion is more of a punishment than a bonus. The story deserved better than that.

Plus, we're basically being robbed a game. Rather than the current reboot being the 4th game, we lose a game in exchange for what will be most likely crap.

GoldStarz

Considering their track record with the last anime, it feels like this conclusion is more of a punishment than a bonus. The story deserved better than that.

Plus, we're basically being robbed a game. Rather than the current reboot being the 4th game, we lose a game in exchange for what will be most likely crap.

The last anime was bad because it was rushed into 13 episodes, this story was specifically meant to be an anime and is going to have at least 2 seasons worth of content, if not more (since we still don't know the exact number of episodes). Your comparison is not uncommon, but it is not apt.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
The last anime was bad because it was rushed into 13 episodes, this story was specifically meant to be an anime and is going to have at least 2 seasons worth of content, if not more (since we still don't know the exact number of episodes). Your comparison is not uncommon, but it is not apt.
What makes a story "meant to be an anime"? Honest question. And I see the director is still the same one. This hardly inspires any confidence.

Sure, we're getting two seasons of content, but one is a sequel and one is a prequel right? That means there's no actual guarantee they won't just both be rushed instead.

At the end of the day, I enjoyed playing this series. This includes making correct decisions to solve mysteries and prioritizing my time to get to know some of my allies (which makes the deaths all the more impactful). An anime (subpar, average, or incredible) offers me neither.

FluxWaveZ

I don't see it as losing a game because this is an anime. What's going to happen in the anime presumably wouldn't function for how a Danganronpa game works, like Danganronpa Zero. And if you mean that there would have first been a DR3 game and then V3 following it, I prefer the current scenario that there wasn't a DR3 game and it jumped immediately to V3.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I don't see it as losing a game because this is an anime. What's going to happen in the anime presumably wouldn't function for how a Danganronpa game works, like Danganronpa Zero. And if you mean that there would have first been a DR3 game and then V3 following it, I prefer the current scenario that there wasn't a DR3 game and it jumped immediately to V3.
Right. We just disagree on that point. Nothing wrong with that, friend!

GoldStarz

What makes a story "meant to be an anime"? Honest question.
It was developed with being an anime in mind? Kodaka has more or less said "I wrote this story to be an anime, I don't think it would work well as a game." If it weren't for these anime we just outright would not be getting these stories.

Sure, we're getting two seasons of content, but one is a sequel and one is a prequel right? That means there's no actual guarantee they won't just both be rushed instead.
Yes and no. They are a sequel and prequel, but they tie together to make one story overall. They were written as interlocking arcs that cannot be viewed separately.

At the end of the day, I enjoyed playing this series. This includes making correct decisions to solve mysteries and prioritizing my time to get to know some of my allies (which makes the deaths all the more impactful). An anime (subpar, average, or incredible) offers me neither.
I mean, it totally does still offer you the first part, the only difference is you won't be selecting an answer. All of DanganRonpa's mysteries so far are at least partially solvable prior to the trial, while I obviously can't guarantee it'll be the same, if it is, then you can do the same with pencil and paper.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
It was developed with being an anime in mind? Kodaka has more or less said "I wrote this story to be an anime, I don't think it would work well as a game." If it weren't for these anime we just outright would not be getting these stories.
Well if you can't quantify what that means (and I sure do not know how either), then that statement sounds more like PR to me than anything else. Considering that the games are kind of like VNs with frills, I can't imagine a story that would only work as anime and not as a game. I suppose we'll see.

Yes and no. They are a sequel and prequel, but they tie together to make one story overall. They were written as interlocking arcs that cannot be viewed separately.
On one hand, that sounds cool. On the other hand, I still have 0 confidence in their ability to deliver on this.

I mean, it totally does still offer you the first part, the only difference is you won't be selecting an answer. All of DanganRonpa's mysteries so far are at least partially solvable prior to the trial, while I obviously can't guarantee it'll be the same, if it is, then you can do the same with pencil and paper.
What? There isn't any decision making on my end. Games are naturally active -- my actions and discoveries move the game forward. Watching anime is passive. Yeah, I could use pencil and paper and pause the anime on every statement to think, but that seems pretty crazy to me haha.

GoldStarz

Well if you can't quantify what that means (and I sure do not know how either), then that statement sounds more like PR to me than anything else. Considering that the games are kind of like VNs with frills, I can't imagine a story that would only work as anime and not as a game. I suppose we'll see.
That wasn't a question mark, I was confused at your confusion tbh. There are plenty of reasons why it could work only as an anime and it's entirely possible the switching animes plays into that.

On one hand, that sounds cool. On the other hand, I still have 0 confidence in their ability to deliver on this.
I mean, that's more of something that's on the writing side and Kodaka is still handling writing duties and overseeing the porject.

What? There isn't any decision making on my end. Games are naturally active -- my actions and discoveries move the game forward. Watching anime is passive. Yeah, I could use pencil and paper and pause the anime on every statement to think, but that seems pretty crazy to me haha.
Yeah, that's fair I guess, but on the flip side, your mistake only cost you time. If you game over, you can just start up again so really it's just like watching a LP
which i mean, is how i got into the dr fandom lol
. I would probably to the paper pencil thing if I really wanted to lol.

From what I understood, they decided to go for an anime because they didn't want to follow the formula of the previous two games (someone corrects me if I'm wrong please). The game would have ended up being a more "traditional" VN without the gameplay interactions typical of the first two games, and so they decided to end their story with an anime instead.

Permanently A

I'm still sad about this shit lol.

I knew from the start
Chiaki was total waifubait and I still fell for it. Like she survived for so long and was always important in solving cases so I started to have hope... then they ripped that shit away from me. Fuuuuuuck.

Sölf

I am not sure if I should watch the DR3 anime, since I haven't beaten Ultra Despair Girls yet. And with FE Fates, TMS#FE and Zero Escape 3 releasing I have no time for that at the moment. D:

GoldStarz

Sölf;208112964 said:
I am not sure if I should watch the DR3 anime, since I haven't beaten Ultra Despair Girls yet. And with FE Fates, TMS#FE and Zero Escape 3 releasing I have no time for that at the moment. D:
I'd personally advise against it there are a lot of leftover plot points from that game that people are thinking might be addressed in the anime.
some speculate that a new character is actually the villain of the game in disguise but I personally doubt this.

Sölf;208112964 said:

Until people can tell you otherwise after watching, I would wait. There are some UDG characters and plot points that could become relevant, particularly in the Future side.

GoldStarz

the real despair is that funi still does simulpubs

I don't even care about that. The ENG dub isn't gonna be a proper send off it's just gonna be Funi poopin' out shit. I really doubt they'd work with NISA to get the old VAs recast so if they dub this they're literally going have to CAST fourteen
(only 13 since Impy is just gonna be whoever voices Ryota and Komaeda will probably stick to the previous convention while Chiaki is just not there)
new actors for the sequel to something they were entirely uninvolved in.

DanganRonpa 3 was supposed to be a nice and proper send off before the reboot, but now in the West it's just gonna be Funi doing some shitty cash grab.
also if they release it at the pace they did last time fuckin NDRv3 is gonna release here before they release their dub

I'm probably gonna read spoilers for DR3 and see how much I care. I feel like my interest in it is so much lower since its an anime instead of a game, and question mark of who will be the english voice acting once that finally happens. So I will read the spoilers and if I'm still interested I will watch it when the english hits

For me personally theres like zero appeal to Danganronpa dubs. JP voice cast is fantastic and what little I watched of the funi dub of the anime was uh...not good.

plus Sawashiro voices Toko and thats like her best role

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
For me personally theres like zero appeal to Danganronpa dubs. JP voice cast is fantastic and what little I watched of the funi dub of the anime was uh...not good.

I love the subbed cast, as well. I think only Sakura's voice was changed for the anime adaptation. So yeah, looking forward to more Megumi Ogata :)

GoldStarz

That's because Funi's anime dub is shit and why everyone was loathing the possibility
really inevitability but we can all lie to ourselves
of them getting the rights to DR3.

Anyway, I put together a list of the VAs from SDR2's dub who have recently (last 2-3 years) worked on Funi dubs

Hajime Hinata (Johnny Young Bosch)
Nagito Komaeda (Bryce Papenbrook)
Akane Owari (Wendee Lee)
Nekomaru Nidai (Patrick Seitz)
Sonia Nevermind (Natlie Hoover)
Kazuichi Souda (Kyle Hebert)
Stephanie Sheh (Stephanie Sheh)
Teruteru Hanamura (Todd Haberkorn)
Chiaki Nanami (Christine Marie Cabanos)
Mahiru Koizumi (Carrie Keranen)
Hiyoko Saionji (Kira Buckland)

And those who have not

Gundam Tanaka (Chris Tergliafera)
Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu (Derek Stephen Prince)
Peko Pekoyama (Janice Kawaye)
Ibuki Mioda (Julie Ann Taylor)
Monokuma (Brian Beacock)
Monomi (Rebecca Forstadt)

That said in 2015 Funi released a dub of the Hyper Dimension Neptunia adaption which was released by NISA and kept the majority of the cast, so it's possible they will in fact use the NISA actors rather than recast. Hopefully they'll even use the DR1 cast as well.

I love the subbed cast, as well. I think only Sakura's voice was changed for the anime adaptation. So yeah, looking forward to more Megumi Ogata :)

What? Literally only Makoto's English VA was kept on.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Dub for the game was great, I listened to that for all the games so far & I'll probably use it for V3.

......though yeah, the anime's dub got rid of everyone aside from Papenbrook (who already does work for Funimation), so it feels like a downgrade.

GoldStarz

Even Sakura's? He sounded pretty different in the anime.

lmao Kujira is a woman, but yeah she voiced both anime and game Sakura.

I think the game dub is really great, they did a good job getting actors that fit the cast's personalities and some of them were even pretty good voice matches for the JP character
and also no voice casting should be predicated on the personality not the voice matches different sounding voices can have different meanings in different cultures

I don't really have a preference between dub and sub but I've gotten a heck of a lot more familiar with the ENG voices so going back is going to be pretty weird.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
.. I completely forgot that I really wanted the dub of this. And after you guys convinced me to be more positive about it, haha.

Welp might as well give it a shot anyway.

GoldStarz

After reading Danganronpa IF I think Mukuro might be my favorite character in the whole series. My heart hurts.

Mukuro is, at the very least, in my Top 3 for DR1 characters, yeah. IF does a really good job at making up for lost time with her character, although she does have small character moments in her FTEs and Dangan Academy.

Permanently A

Mukuro is, at the very least, in my Top 3 for DR1 characters, yeah. IF does a really good job at making up for lost time with her character, although she does have small character moments in her FTEs and Dangan Academy.

Those FTEs are way better after reading IF. She tells Makoto she'll set him up with an aggressive girl after they get out. She's trying to set him up with herself! That is so adorable.

T-Rex.

Banned
Just beat Danganronpa 2 over the weekend, holy shit. What a fucking ride. Overall I didn't like the cast as much as the originals, nor did I find the cases to be as compelling - the ones in DR1 felt more personal - but it's just nutty chapter 5 onwards.. based Nagito > everyone not named Junko Enoshima. Seriously she's so charismatic that if it were real life I'd legit be on the despair side*.

Also am I just dense or was the ending some deux ex machina bullshit? How were they able to escape from the virtual world and retain their memories? That shouldn't have been possible according to the rules that were established. It felt like a cop out and did sour the whole twist with them being the Remnants of Despair.

*Obviously I wouldn't really.

Top Bottom