• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Mafia |OT| Grin and Bear It

*Splinter

I got an award? That makes me unreasonably happy :D

Congrats to Swamped for a well deserved scum-mvp. Honestly my last day was so tiring for me and it wasn't even an entire day, I don't know how you kept that up for so long!

Congrats to Ty4on as well, yougotme.gif

I'll stick up for Zipped too, some bad play at the end I guess but you had the best (non-mechanical) points against me on day (whatever it was), I felt you'd absolutely nailed me there and I was just lucky it didn't get more support.

Finally please excuse my bitching in the dead thread, I'm a poor loser :p

And a massive thanks to Launch for hosting this, I had so much fun!

Swamped

Banned
I corrected the bolded to what she is talking about.

Yep, i can guarantee CM would have killed Makai even if it meant Despair's loss. She was absolutely livid that Makai didn't take up my offer. Throwing tantrums, breaking plates, kicking puppies...it was quite a sight.

Makai made the right move.

Nah, Launch clarified for me. The kills resolve at the same time so if they targeted each other, they would have both come out of the night phase dead.

Edit: And Launch had Swamped kill first last night for the purposes of flavor only since the kill order didn't matter.

mmmm okies... a bit confusing. but ok :3 ... i'll just think of it as high noon show down where all the bullets reach the other person at the same time :D

Today: No Punishment
Despair
Town
Town
Me

Tonight: Despair kills Town. I kill Despair. I win
Despair
Town
Town
Me

Tomorrow: Town wins
Town

.............. i like your victory though :> :> :>

Sorian

Banned
Yep, i can guarantee CM would have killed Makai even if it meant Despair's loss. She was absolutely livid that Makai didn't take up my offer. Throwing tantrums, breaking plates, kicking hamsters...it was quite a sight.

Makai made the right move.

FTFY

Nah, Launch clarified for me. The kills resolve at the same time so if they targeted each other, they would have both come out of the night phase dead.

Edit: And Launch had Swamped kill first last night for the purposes of flavor only since the kill order didn't matter.
I think what Makai is trying to say is that even if he died, he would have satisfied his win condition.

Ty4on

Ty4on, well deserved Hope MVP! <3

You were the main reason I stayed alive for so long. In retrospect I should have been much more careful with what I said because they really struggled to figure out what was going on.
Splinter 2189 said:
One of the lovers (Ty I think) suggested that they might have been the reason for no kills in 2 nights, this makes me think that *they* think that we targeted both Pau and Ty4on's rooms unsuccessfully, ie both of those rooms give us no kill.

I could be wrong, but even if we can kill Pau in her room that wouldn't explain Ty4on surviving last night
Splinter 2192 said:
Ok we really need to figure this out. I targeted Ty and he didn't leave his room, so how did he survive?

Another switcher could be at play? But I'd've thought Pau would also go to the wrong room and end up killed. Also this switcher would have to be invisible, assuming we believe AB's claim and Saw seemed to be inactive.

Maybe a blocker? Again I doubt I was blocked, but its possible. Would also have to be invis.

So I dont really like those ideas...

Maybe they lock Ty's room while they are together, and we are supposed to kill Pau in her room first, and then Ty becomes a possible target. Bit convoluted, I don't really like this idea either

:/
Swamped 2249 said:
I think some people are drifting towards an AB vote. I've made my thoughts clear on the subject so I'll def be voting for him. But apart from that we just have to wait until closer to the day to see how the votes fall.

Further thoughts on lovers: I think Pau is a weak protector, can only target Ty4on. I think we can kill her if we target her room. But I'm not sure if Ty4on will also die in this scenario. At the start of Day 4 Pau seemed very unsure that Despair had targeted her.
Splinter 2274 said:
Argh I'm so fucked :(

Cant kill Pau today, have to kill Saw tomorrow, no way they keep redacted hidden long enough for me to kill Pau, and it seems Ty would still survive that

Christina pushed attacking the empty room and the night before she checked my room and saw that I exited it.
I thought the idea of a disguised person was totally implausible before it was the only thing making sense when Kalor flipped Regular:
Ty4on said:
LaunchpadMcQ said:
Ty4on said:
I was thinking of making up speculation of a mechanic where someone can disguise as someone else. Would you confirm to someone asking whether or not that mechanic was present?
I cant say whether such a role exists
Excellent!
Should be obvious how oblivious I was to Despair actually having someone like that on the team despite Launch kinda hinting at it between the lines.

Ty4on

It took a lot of effort from me to discover that I was a Ninja as well :p
Launch 58 said:
"Launch said I was the person in mind regarding what route someone will take if two routes are the same length. That puzzled me a bit because my route isn't like that. "

that's not what I meant :p

Actually, I decided on something with the mods, so this is technically a backtrack to what I told you, and distance DOES matter for everyone. You're the unique case where the distance is also tied the other players' ability to see you, as the path to the empty dorm from yours is very short. There are very few scenarios where you'll be seen.

Before that I made maps with steps trying to figure out why I didn't see anyone N1.
o08mwch.jpg

Edit:
Also reading through the Empty Room chat, I love how Launch hadn't even decided how your movement was working :p
Basically that :p

Edit 2: I can't be bothered to fish it now, but I think Kark revealed in the dead thread that whomever got my role would have the empty room right in front of their room so they could be a Ninja. I'm not sure if it's random that the room got placed on the corner because it would look really suspicious in the middle.

Makai

Just finished the Despair Thread. That was a good read.

Dead Thread: FUCK MAKAI!
Disrepair Thread: lol Makai...wait, we're fucked. FUCKKKKKK

SalvaPot

...smart move!

Actually, thinking back i personally didn't want to kill Crab N1 because he had to wait three seasons to be in a game. We didn't want to kill a newbie either, that's why we settled on Franconp.

I was incredibly suspicious on you from Day 1, and Crab was a likely target at the moment two, so I had the idea to switch you vote since I realized more roles will go to either side. I was so sad I died so early, I had a theory early on, but after my death I honestly could say it was more fun to watch you all play than to actually play, it was so confusing.

Ty4on

I was incredibly suspicious on you from Day 1, and Crab was a likely target at the moment two, so I had the idea to switch you vote since I realized more roles will go to either side. I was so sad I died so early, I had a theory early on, but after my death I honestly could say it was more fun to watch you all play than to actually play, it was so confusing.
Who did you switch and what were your thoughts D2 about those you saw N1?

SalvaPot

Who did you switch and what were your thoughts D2 about those you saw N1?

I swapped AbsolutBro and goshujinsama, when I realized that the map was vital to the game I tried to get the longest possible route so I could give info to the town.

My main suspect was always swamped, lol.

*Splinter

That reminds me, if we had hit Crab N1 (which was considered) we would have accidentally killed swamped

Unless Crab protected himself, but I think he said he protected goshu

Also, only reason we didn't is it was a bit too mean :p (and honestly more fun to keep him alive)

Swamped

Banned
I swapped AbsolutBro and goshujinsama, when I realized that the map was vital to the game I tried to get the longest possible route so I could give info to the town.

That was one of the reasons we killed you :p Plus you were a PR. I honestly expected some heat on me after your kill, but i guess everyone thought it was WIFOM territory.

Ty4on

Man, you would have wrecked D3 :p

It's meaningless, but what about N2?

I wondered if you tried to keep me alive N2. Cause I was pretty sure I was dead that night. <3

Makai

looooool i aint never helping your ass again makai

but congrats

at least despair lost too
Reread days 7-9.

"Gosh, Terrabyte, and Zipped are not cleared. There could be a Role Godfather."

"I'm an investigatory role. Forcing me to role claim is scummy. I could still spot the killer! Oops, I was already hammered. Oops, Pau and Ty were night-killed."

"Hmm...We've narrowed our suspect list to one person but Kingkitty and Makai's roles sound really good. Let's lynch them!"

Hope didn't deserve to win. smh

kingkitty

Reread days 7-9.

"I'm an investigatory role. Forcing me to role claim is scummy. I could still spot the killer! Oops, I was already hammered. Oops, Pau and Ty were night-killed."

"Hmm...We've narrowed our suspect list to one person but Kingkitty and Makai's roles sound really good. Let's lynch them!"

yes but i was hope

and considering i helped you out as part of the lucky duo, i thought you would help me out by helping the town win

but in the end it's alright, because scum still lost

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Reread days 7-9.

I didn't say you were scummy, I said you needed to be lynched.

Makai

yes but i was hope

and considering i helped you out as part of the lucky duo, i thought you would help me out by helping the town win

but in the end it's alright, because scum still lost
Game of Thrones spoilers:

stannis.gif

Sacrifice is never easy. Or it is no true sacrifice.

Makai

I will not be able to play this game, Makai, since it is likely that this is the last time that I will be able to get online for a few days. I trust you both will bring Hope its victory, Sawneeks and Makai.

Vote: Christina Mackenzie
I was really, really worried that Gosh wasn't going to show up in time to vote.

CzarTim

Setup wise, I honestly feel like this was heavily slanted towards town. I'm not trying to take away from everyone who played really well, nor am I saying Despair always made the right call with the info we had, but I don't feel like there was a reasonable chance for us from the start.

I think the fight club mechanic would have been 1000 times better if it had just been explained properly at the beginning. There was no reason not to do this, and it heavily benefited town by leaving us in the dark. As I said in the mafia chat, there's no reason for town to lie about these things, but the mafia need to. I pretty much checked out of this game after night one because I felt like we had made our first move in a game of chess only to be told "you can move your pawns backwards," and it's like, wait, I thought we were playing chess? If it had been anybody's role to track / cop me, I wouldn't have minded as that involves a player's skill, but in this case it felt like the game itself pulled the rug out from under us. Town could have revealed all fight club information from the start and been better off. Of course, they didn't know that, but still.

The 'ninja' part of the movement thing was super counter-intuitive, and I don't think anyone figured it out on their own. It also created a situation where the RNG'd placement of the rooms became even more important. In this case, ty won the lottery. Meanwhile Splinter being in the corner to the right of two fight club members and directly to the left of the empty dorm room made it incredibly easy to figure out he was the impostor and thus the RNG screwed us over.

Then there was the empty room mechanic, and why was that even in this game? Three of the rooms were useless. It really only served as a distraction for the mafia, and didn't affect town at all. From our perspective none of the rooms were more important than the others so the fact that we watched the three useless rooms was just bad luck and makes me wonder why they were there?

Which is kind of the problem with all of these mechanics: there was no way for town to misuse any of them and yet there were countless ways for the mafia to misplay. Sure, the doctor could target the big rooms as well, but we know damn well no townie would risk that unless they were sure it wouldn't be a wasted night. Meanwhile, we as scum had to waste three nights on a goose chase for no gain.

Town benefited from these mechanics, and yet the rest of the setup did not reflect the added benefit from the large amount information they received from fight club or added distraction of the empty rooms. Town had a large amount of ways to dodge our kills (switcher, doc, two sets of commuters) for a game without a sk, plus the info received from the role cop (why wasn't swamped just ordinary to counter this?,) lookout, and of course fight club. Once again it was unlikely for town to misuse any of their abilities outside of the THUNDERDOME. Yet we were scrambling constantly. It didn't help that our win condition was wrong from the start given this setup.

And that leaves us with the lucky buddies. Why on earth were they hope aligned from the start? Two sets of confirmed townies was infinitely more powerful than a sk. We basically went through the whole game without any 3p support or additional players getting removed. Even if the sk had been activated, it would have been pretty easy to figure out who the new person in fight club was. Not to mention the sk would have been actively working against us unlike a real sk who plays both sides. This meant a setup that was 19 vs 4. That's incredibly hard to overcome when you consider the high number of ways for us to miss our kill.

So yeah, I think there were a lot of cool ideas here individually, but a lot of the ideas didn't mesh when crammed together in one game. I really don't mind losing, but I want it to feel like it was because I was out played by players and not because of the mechanics.

Makai

I agree with your critique, Czar. You did a very good job of mitigating your disadvantages by floating the ninja theory (which persisted long after).

did I asked for feedback? no? Then STFU.

Honestly though, I agree with most of what you're saying and almost all of it occurred to me while it was happening; I just couldn't see most of it until it was actually in motion. That's why I was saying stuff midway like "I'm never hosting again" or "seeing mechanics blow up in my face".

So, yeah, it's back to basics for me from now on.

CzarTim

did I asked for feedback? no? Then STFU.

Honestly though, I agree with most of what you're saying and almost all of it occurred to me while it was happening; I just couldn't see most of it until it was actually in motion. That's why I was saying stuff midway like "I'm never hosting again" or "seeing mechanics blow up in my face".

So, yeah, it's back to basics for me from now on.

<3 You clearly have a good mind for creative mechanics / roles, I just think it'd be better to focus on one thing at a time. I figured you knew most of that stuff, but I wanted to post it anyway so that future mods can get a sense of why some things don't work. We're still figuring things out as a community so I think it's important to get feedback.

What changed Launch? Were the mechanics supposed to be more complex?

With this particular mechanic, not too much is different; I was trying to find ways to make it more complex, but couldn't find anything solid.

I toyed with adding in some random conditions depending on the circumstances of the murders; for example, on one day, a player would be traumatized by the murder and unable to speak for the day phase (but still able to vote).

Ourobolus

Banned
Sorry, guys. I'm cutting this short since you guys live on opposite ends of the earth.

VOTE: Christina Mackenzie

Guess Who was a farce. Let&#8217;s just say you&#8217;re both winners! Wait, that doesn&#8217;t work...

Notice that I&#8217;m neither aligned with Hope nor Despair. Here&#8217;s how the rest of the game plays out.

Tonight:
KILL: Sawneeks

Tomorrow:
VOTE: Gosh

Tomorrow Night:
KILL: Gosh

Special Thanks:
&#8212;kgtrep for saving my life on Day 2

&#8212;CzarTim for saving my life on Day 3

&#8212;Kingkitty for being my bro. Days 1-3 were really lonely. Knowing your identity was comforting.

&#8212;AbsolutBro for helping me solve the mystery

&#8212;Zippedpinhead and Sawneeks for not hammering Swamped. I wanted to win the game as a Lucky Student, but noooooo&#8230;

You know what I just realized? Makai wouldn't have won if he had gone through with this. He would have MISSED Sawneeks tonight since she would have gone to the pool. Town would have won by simply voting out Makai during the next day!

Top Bottom