• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

Peeking in here... I guess 1. I should rip through the game, and 2. Until then leave my contribution to the thread being an off the cuff "this is so Anime" comment.

As much as it sucks, this is a game were getting spoiled on the internet is INCREDIBLY easy. Kind of makes you paranoid and not want to discuss something that lends itself very well to discussion.

I'd say still post your thoughts/theories after each chapter or so (or whenever something big happens) without reading any other posts other than the ones that quote you.

Eusis

As much as it sucks, this is a game were getting spoiled on the internet is INCREDIBLY easy. Kind of makes you paranoid and not want to discuss something that lends itself very well to discussion.

I'd say still post your thoughts/theories after each chapter or so (or whenever something big happens) without reading any other posts other than the ones that quote you.
I accidentally clicked on the SPOILER thread once too, haha. Though I tried to leave before I remembered anything too clearly other than some
Jill the Ripper thing
and hopefully that wasn't a big deal in the long run.

I accidentally clicked on the SPOILER thread once too, haha. Though I tried to leave before I remembered anything too clearly other than some
Jill the Ripper thing
and hopefully that wasn't a big deal in the long run.

There are MUCH worse spoilers you could have seen and that one isn't much without context.

Finished chapter 4 and 5 a few days ago.

I thought case 4 was actually one of the weaker cases - probably because I got spoilt and I knew
Sakura committed suicide.
That’s one of the only spoilers that I knew about before starting the game...if I didn’t know that I probably would have loved the case a lot more, but knowing that took away a lot of the fun. However,
Aoi’s plan to take the blame
did catch me off guard and was pretty cool. As for chapter 5,
that dead body is so going to end up being Junko! The boots, the nails, the fact that the body already has wounds on it...yeah.
I really hope I get a lot of answers soon and the ending isn't a copout. I’m gonna start chapter 6 tomorrow!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Just quick impressions, because if I lay out my thoughts in details some would most probably accuse me as being a liar again :/ Ah well.

----------------------------

Chapter 4 = what a *really* weak case in terms of cleverness. For a self proclaimed
ultimate everything, Byakuya
certainly can act like a doofus sometimes, missing obvious clues
like the direction of the shoe marks
, I mean really.

Also, anyone with half a brain can deduce that
"poison" will be the key tool of the 'murder' the exact moment
it is mentioned at the beginning of chapter 4, and yet the game acted like it's *SUCH* a *big* revelation, heh.

However, what it lacks in cleverness, it makes up in emotional value. It's actually the 1st case that kind of tugs at my heartstrings :(

Chapter 5 = this case is much better, as it keeps me guessing as to who is the blackened. I even initially thought the game will pull out a 999/VLR class spoiler
and make the MC as the killer
, hahaha. Ah well...

That extra twist at the end is very nice too. Didn't expect
Alter-Ego of all things to show up and save the MC
. Guess he truly is
the Ultimate Lucky student.

Now I am at the beginning of Chapter 6. Pumped out due to what the best girl said, about how this will be the chapter that
the mastermind will get their comeuppance
. Really looking forward to see what it's gonna be.

Although what
Byakuya said in Principal's Office
... about
the height/weight/measurement in the profile
... he's being very specific about it and well, seeing that the only other place in the game that tells the player
about height/weight/measurement is the report cards
..... heh.

Also, for good measure, I just want to add here that this is *really* my first time playing Danganronpa, as this game's trophy list in my PSN profile can attest to (PSN: LaughingBanana). Also, someone said that I was probably doing my impressions as a way to get attention... well, let me play a bit of Danganronpa style trial logic with him/her, hahaha: if I want to do that, why would I do it in a thread that for all intents and purposes can be described as extremely inactive at best and practically dead at worst? Why wouldn't I do it when this thread still active? Why wouldn't I buy the game by the time the thread is still alive? I am also not the kind of person who would buy 39.99 game just for a chance to "gain attention" in an almost-dead thread.

But I suppose people are gonna believe what they gonna believe, and there's nothing I can do to change that.

Ah well....

PKrockin

Nobody's dragging you to Bish for execution. People have suspicions because shockingly people do lie on the internet and about this topic. Don't take it personally, think of it as a compliment to your reasoning skills. It's all just impressions and crazy conspiracy theories for fun.

More importantly, we need to talk about your poor browser's toolbar problem...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
If it makes you feel better, I never doubted you!

i can't doubt my laughing banana friend

Hehe, thanks guys :)

Nobody's dragging you to Bish for execution. People have suspicions because shockingly people do lie on the internet and about this topic. Don't take it personally, think of it as a compliment to your reasoning skills. It's all just impressions and crazy conspiracy theories for fun.

More importantly, we need to talk about your poor browser's toolbar problem...

Well of course to the 1st bolded, but being accused as a liar is never a pleasant thing, you know. Ah well, most probably I'd just forget about the whole matter soon anyways, hahaha.

2nd bolded: it's the browser of my work PC. Don't really care trying to fix it, hahaha.

Also, *just* noticed that there are trophies for getting maximum report cards for characters.... Oh man :/ I was spreading my free time allocation with *everyone*, trying to get everyone to equal levels... but I should probably target a specific someone and focus on him or her huh....

I also hoard Monokuma Coins... more than 400 coins right now, never spending it on anything... I should have probably bought presents with them to up the social link further huh......................

Ah well, I am already at Chapter 6 so it seems I am too late for all that...

DaBoss

You unlock a special mode once you beat the game which allows you to do the Free Time Events and max them. You can also earn 200 Monokuma coins for each run through the mode (you'll have to do multiple playthroughts, but it has a New Game+ thing which makes it easy).

EDIT: Don't know if naming it out right is a spoiler.

You unlock a special mode once you beat the game which allows you to do the Free Time Events and max them. You can also earn 200 Monokuma coins for each run through the mode (you'll have to do multiple playthroughts, but it has a New Game+ thing which makes it easy).

EDIT: Don't know if naming it out right is a spoiler.

Well I mentioned it in the OT, the whole not murder part is mentioned and I think the whole part of murder going on in this game is basically in the plot summary.

So it's not much of a spoiler unless you are looking for complete lockdown of anything about this game and in that case, why are you in even this thread? :p

DaBoss

Well I mentioned it in the OT, the whole not murder part is mentioned and I think the whole part of murder going on in this game is basically in the plot summary.

So it's not much of a spoiler unless you are looking for complete lockdown of anything about this game and in that case, why are you in even this thread? :p
Alright, thanks.

But just in case.

ibrpLRUhXCEdik.gif

FORGET FORGET FORGET BEAM!

I really wanted to use that lol

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
all these japanese vn style games need editors in the dev process

15 hours in, somewhere in chapter 4... with another 10ish hours to go?!

way too long of a game, dumped back into the backlog you go

a shame, really. it's pretty decent but the length is just a killer.

Alright, thanks.

But just in case.

ibrpLRUhXCEdik.gif

FORGET FORGET FORGET BEAM!

I really wanted to use that lol

It's always good to use FORGET FORGET FORGET BEAMMMMMMMMM!

heaven forbid you play a jRPG

If you're talking about the halfway over message, that's a lie. There are only
chapters.

LX_Theo

Banned

You call that long? I dare you to try playing through Persona 4 and its 60-100 hour length

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Finished the main game just now.

Huh... got some things right, some things wrong.

You know... about the ending scenes... I don't mind they're not really explaining
what the Tragedy really is
but what kind of making me mad is the fact that they're practically handwaved the explanation of
how everyone is getting amnesia at the same time
. When the dialogue touched that point the game basically said "THAT'S NOT IMPORTANT, MOVING ALONG!"

Hell yeah damn it's very important. Such a cop-out, totally disappointing that they would just gloss over them like that.

Too tired to proceed to the school mode... from what I have seen a little it seems like a tedious thing to do but we'll see....

You know... about the ending scenes... I don't mind they're not really explaining
what the Tragedy really is
but what kind of making me mad is the fact that they're practically handwaved the explanation of
how everyone is getting amnesia at the same time
. When the dialogue touched that point the game basically said "THAT'S NOT IMPORTANT, MOVING ALONG!"

Hell yeah damn it's very important. Such a cop-out, totally disappointing that they would just gloss over them like that.

It's explained in Danganronpa Zero.

So I was pondering what kind of Pokémon each of the 15 students would use on their teams because I'm a weirdo, and decided to make this silly, fun image for the heck of it:

It was pretty easy to make, so I'll probably do one a day for each member of the main cast so long as the reception to this one isn't too harsh. Which student's team would you guys like to see next?

tekrapid

Neo Member
Just completed it this morning. A little disappointed in the ending. Too many questions left unanswered. Is the sequel a direct follow up or is it a new cast?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Finished chapter 4. I liked that better than chapter three. Trials are still a mess, and solutions are way too obvious. Overall a solid game so far, but I'm also a bit concerned about length. It feels a bit dragged-out at times.

Sorian

Banned
Finished chapter 4. I liked that better than chapter three. Trials are still a mess, and solutions are way too obvious. Overall a solid game so far, but I'm also a bit concerned about length. It feels a bit dragged-out at times.

I always like to point out that this is something that happens because of the way the game is. This game gives you all of the relevant evidence before you ever step into the courtroom (except for some exceptions which don't end up being too important in finding the killer) as opposed to a game like Phoenix Wright where you get some of the picture but a lot of the major pieces of evidence are reserved for in the courtroom whenever the prosecutor feels like noting that its been in his/her pocket the whole time and they've just been waiting for a good time to show it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
^^ yes, you have a good point there. It's also worth noting that the story firmly build these trials as show trials. And that's what they are, in many ways.

Sorian

Banned
^^ yes, you have a good point there. It's also worth noting that the story firmly build these trials as show trials. And that's what they are, in many ways.

I can't speak on how dangan ronpa 2 goes in terms of cases but it's easy to forget that this was a franchise's opening and that a lot of us, coming from backgrounds in Phoenix Wright, are so used to trying to solve the most obtuse of cases that these come off as super easy comparatively. Some are even easy without any type of background in games like this (read as first case specifically). I give the first case a bit of a pass though since it was supposed to be tutorial mode and the neon pink clue was easier for us to grasp because of the culture switch.

Wazzy

Banned
Yassss I got another friend to buy this game and she's on chapter 2 at the moment. Sales for the game are doing well, right?

Sorian

Banned
Yassss I got another friend to buy this game and she's on chapter 2 at the moment. Sales for the game are doing well, right?

Well we are already getting 2 for sure (sounds like voice acting stuff is mostly done so I doubt they are just going to randomly cancel it if this one didn't sell well) which means sales aren't too important to me atm but I still hope for the best.

789shadow

Banned
I can't speak on how dangan ronpa 2 goes in terms of cases
Case 1 of DR2 is about as difficult as Case 5 of DR. Also, the evidence doesn't point to a single person near as obviously.

However, each case gives a little hint outside of the evidence that observant people can use to deduce the killer before the trial, even.

Wazzy

Banned
I think pre-orders had exceeded expectations?
I hope so! This game was really good and I'm super hyped for DR2.
Well we are already getting 2 for sure (sounds like voice acting stuff is mostly done so I doubt they are just going to randomly cancel it if this one didn't sell well) which means sales aren't too important to me atm but I still hope for the best.

I'm just hoping it does well since it's a great game. :p I really need to read the zero novel.

DaBoss

Someone from NIS posted here saying they were happy with the sales a few weeks ago. It was when Feburary's NPD was posted.

Hey hey hey, it's day 2 of my silly Danganronpa Pokémon thing! Today's subject: Kyoko Kirigiri!

Since Kyoko's such an enigmatic character who reveals so little about herself, it was kinda hard coming up with a team that made sense for her. The reasoning for a few of them could be construed as spoilers to some, so jump on over to the spoiler thread if you want to read them!

On today's edition of Pokéronpa, we tackle the second-best male character: Kiyotaka Ishimaru!

The reasonings aren't quite as spoiler-y this time, but I'll tag them anyways for those who want to know as little about his as possible:

Beheeyem:
Beheeyem has the power to erase memories. Plus its name sounds like "beam." So basically, this guy's only here to rep the FORGET FORGET FORGET BEEEEEEEEEAM
Hawlucha:
Taka means "hawk" in Japanese, so I wanted to find a hawk Pokémon to represent that. There are surprisingly few however, so I ended up going with the only one which I deemed to be as manly and awesome as Taka is.
Hoothoot:
The cute little guy has Taka's eyes and eyebrows, plus he continues the bird motif started by Hawlucha. Also, it's said in its PokéDex entries that Hoothoot was used in prior eras to tell time, which also kinda fits with Taka's compulsion to maintain order and normality.
Cubone: LEGIT SPOILERS IN THIS ONE, KAY?
It's revealed during Taka's Free Time Events that he'd never had a true friend before Mondo, and that he's an incredibly lonely person in general. Cubone represents this well, with the added bonus of Cubone wearing its mother's skull as a memento symbolizing Taka carrying on Mondo's legacy after the latter's demise.
Cacturne:
During the early Generation IV metagame, Cacturne was deemed as one of the most powerful Pokémon on the block, so long as its user was good at playing mindgames and generally thinking ahead. This ideal of "victory through effort" fits really well with Taka, especially when you consider the revelations made during his Free Time events. Having a Dark-type could also be a symbol of how much his buddy Mondo has rubbed off on him.
Typhlosion:
HOT-BLOODED SPIRIT! That aside though, it's said that Typhlosion can survive temperatures of more than 1000 degrees, meaning it would be a fitting pet for someone with Taka's level of heat endurance (as proven by the Sauna Battle).

Top Bottom