• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

Jintor

i can't tell you how fucking irritated I got when I knew the solution to a puzzle but the fucking bullet delay kept me from getting it

over

and over

and over again

fuck that shit.

i can't tell you how fucking irritated I got when I knew the solution to a puzzle but the fucking bullet delay kept me from getting it

over

and over

and over again

fuck that shit.

I trust you have the skill that speeds up your bullets you get if you spend time with Leon!

Do you remember to use the focus (R button)?

Jintor

i only got that once i hit school mode

I always kept forgetting focus existed actually. It's kind of another button to press, really...

PKrockin

i only got that once i hit school mode

I always kept forgetting focus existed actually. It's kind of another button to press, really...
Well there's your problem then. Focus gives you plenty of time to shoot. I just got in the habit of always shooting with R+Triangle, like RE4.

The thing I didn't know was that you could focus in Hangman's Gambit, not that anyone would need it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

over

and over

and over again

fuck that shit.
I know your pain, man, & this was BEFORE I discovered the fast-forward button. I honestly forgot about focus because I never used it in the first trial to get the trophy relating to it, so I didn't remember to start using it until Chapter 4 or so. That seriously will help so much.

Jintor

it's a game mechanic that exists solely to mitigate another shitty game mechanic. ain't much of a solution. problem is in the initial design.

PKrockin

It's fine. The speaking pitch change in slow-mo is cool. Seeing the bullet headed toward the statement is suspenseful if you're uncertain. "Please break through don't bounce off please break through *BOOM* Yes!"

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, they should literally copy another game. Great idea.

When the new solution is 100 times worse, it would have been better, yes. This trial system is a chaotic random mess, were you end up with an inevitable conclusion after playing stupid rhytm and hangman games, and firing arguments you often can't choose at flying lines of text.

If they had something new that was better, then of course that would've been preferable.

That's how I feel about it anyway. I'm sure some of you think it's awesome, and that's fine too.

Well it's basically suppose to be a chaotic mess cause it is high school kids basically yelling back and forth between each other.

It's not like Ace Attorney between people whose job is to argue things in a courtroom.

FluxWaveZ

When the new solution is 100 times worse, it would have been better, yes. This trial system is a chaotic random mess, were you end up with an inevitable conclusion after playing stupid rhytm and hangman games, and firing arguments you often can't choose at flying lines of text.

If they had something new that was better, then of course that would've been preferable.

That's how I feel about it anyway. I'm sure some of you think it's awesome, and that's fine too.

I'm inclined to agree in terms of structure where the hangman and rhythm game stuff are poor. Non-stop debates are a really cool twist on AA's cross-examination system, though. I would have liked to see more systems that are contextual like that instead of random mini-games. My favorites were non-stop debates and the final sequences where you have to put the case together like a manga because they made sense.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Just finished chapter 1.

That
"last message" stuff
was laughable. It's bloody obvious right from the beginning yet the MC was so stupidly oblivious about it, heh.

I was kind of surprised at the
"she wanted to double cross him"
angle, however.

The music was sooo catchy in all the trial sessions. I was surprised they put a rhythm game, of all things, as the final part, hahaha.

Enjoying the game so far. I already have a feeling about what the ultimate twist is gonna be, having played VLR, but hmmm, let's see if my feeling is correct.

Also, LTTP, hehhhh :(

RetroMG

That
"last message" stuff
was laughable. It's bloody obvious right from the beginning yet the MC was so stupidly oblivious about it, heh.

I think that was a lot less obvious when the game was in Japanese. Something should have been altered to make it less obvious in English, but I don't know how that could be done.

Eusis

Well, just based on their introductions they come off as flat archetypes. It's like the Ultimate Circus rather than the Ultimate School or something. Hopefully they get more interesting and nuanced later on (failing that, at least provide good entertainment for when things go to shit.)

Well, just based on their introductions they come off as flat archetypes. It's like the Ultimate Circus rather than the Ultimate School or something. Hopefully they get more interesting and nuanced later on (failing that, at least provide good entertainment for when things go to shit.)

Well, their initial one-note appearances are kind of there to make their hidden depths more effective later on. Not that every single one gets the development they deserve, of course. There is some subtly in some of their traits at least, plenty of which I didn't realize until fans informed me of them.

Jintor

that's basically how these things go man. Gotta have a strong anchor point to get some character development off.
Not that DR char development is particularly nuanced or anything but whatevs

Just beat the game, and while I don't think its as good as 999/Virtue's Last Reward, it did finally give me a reason to not wanna put my Vita down. I did like the variety that the various bits of the trials gave it, but I also feel that it lost a lot of the charm of the Ace Attorney system. It was definitely more exciting though from that perspective.

Pretty good game though.

PK Gaming

Just finished chapter 1.

That
"last message" stuff

I was kind of surprised at the
"she wanted to double cross him"
angle, however.

The music was sooo catchy in all the trial sessions. I was surprised they put a rhythm game, of all things, as the final part, hahaha.

Enjoying the game so far. I already have a feeling about what the ultimate twist is gonna be, having played VLR, but hmmm, let's see if my feeling is correct.

Also, LTTP, hehhhh :(

He was only stupidly oblivious about it because the message written in english.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Finished chapter 2.

Here are some thoughts:

That
Chihiro is a guy twist
is not surprising at all. The moment the game noted to me that
"Chihiro is more comfortable around men than women"
, that's exactly what I think of, wayyyy before the official revelation. The game needs to be more subtle about clues!

That whole
Genocide Jill
thing was whacky though, hahahaha.

The case itself.... welllllll I wouldn't say "clever" but pretty neat.

As for the
stinger scene after the case
, let me have a guess:
the mystery person Monokuma talking to is actually Junko, isn't it? Just a guess, simply because she's the only person out of the whole group that's killed not because of the game or a result of the trial, but Monokuma's direct action. I have the feeling those two are in cahoot about something.... well, it's just a guess.

Also a guess about the whole thing regarding
any help that wouldn't come.... I am guessing that something happened on the outside world, perhaps a catastrophic event, and the kids gathered there were actually part of a selection to perhaps find the most capable leader for Japan against the situation.

Don't confirm whether my guesses were true or not :)

Sorian

Banned
Finished chapter 2.

Here are some thoughts:

That
Chihiro is a guy twist
is not surprising at all. The moment the game noted to me that
"Chihiro is more comfortable around men than women"
, that's exactly what I think of, wayyyy before the official revelation. The game needs to be more subtle about clues!

That whole
Genocide Jill
thing was whacky though, hahahaha.

The case itself.... welllllll I wouldn't say "clever" but pretty neat.

As for the
stinger scene after the case
, let me have a guess:
the mystery person Monokuma talking to is actually Junko, isn't it? Just a guess, simply because she's the only person out of the whole group that's killed not because of the game or a result of the trial, but Monokuma's direct action. I have the feeling those two are in cahoot about something.... well, it's just a guess.

Also a guess about the whole thing regarding
any help that wouldn't come.... I am guessing that something happened on the outside world, perhaps a catastrophic event, and the kids gathered there were actually part of a selection to perhaps find the most capable leader for Japan against the situation.

Don't confirm whether my guesses were true or not :)

Delicious

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Weird that people are willing to make excuses for the shitty trial mechanics.

It's flashy and fancy, but it's true that I prefer the more deliberate pace of the Phoenix Wright games.

I actually groaned a bit last night when "a new element" popup showed up yet again, hahaha.

Well, at least the music was very catchy during the trial sessions in my opinion.

Sorian

Banned
I don't understand what makes them shitty? They aren't anything to write home about but it is still just as unoffensive as selecting something from a list to counter a certain statement.

Jintor

i liked it in building up tension and stuff

but in all honesty the gameplay is not 'lightgun shooter' it is 'work out what is happening' and them having lightgun shooter bits to it sucked

it's why the comic is rad and the hangman is theoretically rad except when it wants a very exact word combination
SCHIZO DOES NOT MEAN THAT
and bullet time battles suck balls

FluxWaveZ

It's definitely not all shitty. For DR's classroom courtroom structure, it makes more sense for the trials to be more dynamic and chaotic in nature compared to Ace Attorney's methodical and deliberate approach.

What really gets me are the rhythm battle sections. They're dumb.

Jintor

YOU SUCK!

I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!

W-W-WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?!?!?

SHUT UP!

YOU'RE WRONG!

NO WAY!

SHUT YOUR FACE!

I H-H-HATE YOU!

*dances*

DaBoss

I didn't like how it added mechanics on top of mechanics. I think it reached a sweet spot in Chapter 2 or 3 for the non-stop debates.

The rhythm game was OK up till the part where they gave you god damn bullets, though I didn't really struggle with that. It was annoying how they just kept giving you things to look out for.

And the only time the temp bullet was used in a meaningful way is in the last chapter. I thought that was pretty clever. Outside of that, I felt they were pointless and that they just purposely didn't give you the right bullets with the evidence.

FluxWaveZ

And the only time the temp bullet was used in a meaningful way is in the last chapter. I thought that was pretty clever. Outside of that, I felt they were pointless and that they just purposely didn't give you the right bullets with the evidence.

I kinda liked that. Was reminiscent of moments in Ace Attorney where you need to press a later statement, and then press a previous point in the testimony in order to unlock a route to point out a contradiction.

PKrockin

The one problem I had with memorizing statements was it only worked in one direction. Like that one time where Byakuya asks "What was so suspicious about what they said?" you have to use "what was so suspicious" on the suspicious statement. You can't do it the other way around which makes no sense.

Nobody's denying Bullet Time Battles are crap. It makes no sense in terms of what it's supposed to represent. The music cuts out for like 3 seconds when the tempo changes. Hyper Time or whatever is actually less exciting since you just mash buttons and wait for it to be over. The payoff, with Makoto's awful "This should prove it!" and the animations aren't even as rewarding as Nonstop Debate's. The best thing I can say about it is I love the bullet reloading sound.

LX_Theo

Banned
The one problem I had with memorizing statements was it only worked in one direction. Like that one time where Byakuya asks "What was so suspicious about what they said?" you have to use "what was so suspicious" on the suspicious statement. You can't do it the other way around which makes no sense.

Nobody's denying Bullet Time Battles are crap. It makes no sense in terms of what it's supposed to represent. The music cuts out for like 3 seconds when the tempo changes. Hyper Time or whatever is actually less exciting since you just mash buttons and wait for it to be over. The payoff, with Makoto's awful "This should prove it!" and the animations aren't even as rewarding as Nonstop Debate's. The best thing I can say about it is I love the bullet reloading sound.
The most cringeworthy piece of dialogue I've heard in any game.

Jintor

The other thing I find kind of odd was how there is literally no effort made to say 'oh yeah we're representing this as a gun battle because of reasons'

Like, this kinda game, I kinda thought they were going somewhere with the metaphor...

The other thing I find kind of odd was how there is literally no effort made to say 'oh yeah we're representing this as a gun battle because of reasons'

Like, this kinda game, I kinda thought they were going somewhere with the metaphor...

It's just a play on words rather than a metaphor along the lines of "shooting" down an argument. You know how much Japan loves those.

DaBoss

I kinda liked that. Was reminiscent of moments in Ace Attorney where you need to press a later statement, and then press a previous point in the testimony in order to unlock a route to point out a contradiction.
That's the one thing I absolutely hate in Ace Attorney. Please go in order.

FluxWaveZ

I didn't have a problem with that at all. It's a nice abstraction, representing evidence as bullets and shooting down contradictions. Neat aesthetic touch, instead of having it be literal and dry.

That's the one thing I absolutely hate in Ace Attorney. Please go in order.

I will admit, a part of me also dislikes those moments because I feel that it messes with the timeline.

Jintor

It's just a play on words rather than a metaphor along the lines of "shooting" down an argument. You know how much Japan loves those.

i know, but they splash it all over everything so I thought they were going somewhere with it

Like, if Uchikoshi (Zero Escape's writer) had been here he would've tied it into something in-game or something
kinda the same way 999 does something similar with something you just accept as 'normal'
. I don't really have a problem with it, but it's a bit of a missed opportunity.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Finished Chapter 3.

Thoughts...

The moment Monokuma revealed
that the reward would be 10 million bucks
, I somehow know that
Celeste will be the blackened this time, simply because of her moniker as the Ultimate Gambler
. Sooooo I played through the case with
her on my mind as the prime suspect
the entire time, hahahaha.

Also, the moment the MC found that
Hifumi's glasses were wiped and there's a glass cleaning cloth with the exact same anime character on the camera that he has......
well, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that
he has something to do with the case
. The moment the game posed the question,
how can the killer moved his body towards the 3rd floor
, I immediately thought that
he's actually still alive in the nursery and he moved there all by himself.

Well, turned out my guesses were pretty accurate. The game needs to be more subtle about the clues it gives to the player, really! That
Yasuhiro thing
was a pretty nice touch though :)

That conversation about the magazines reinforced my thoughts that
something did happen on the outside world
. I mean,
"no updates"
is a pretty telling clue. Maybe..... it's connected to the
"serious issue" that the characters noted from that document in the library that forced Hope Academy to be closed
? Soooo.... they're
actually have been there for a year, perhaps?

As for
the secret room
... I have no idea but I think it's related to the above point about
something happening on the outside world
"What did you do to my body"
thing that the best girl asked though... hmmmmmm, I also have no idea whatsoever about this point. I believe the game hasn't give me a clue about it but maybe I missed it.

That
Sakura scene
was also pretty nice.

I am curious about that
Chihiro-Mondo-Leon photo
though... what's up with that... hmmmm.

Edit:SPOILER FOR VLR, DON'T HIGHLIGHT THE SPOILERS IN THIS PARAGRAPH IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME Hmm, to be honest the idea about the
whole catastrophic event
thing came to me because I have played and finished VLR which
proposed like, the same exact thing
. I doubt it would be my guess if I haven't played VLR before, hahaha. Well... let's see if it's something that's also true in this game.

FluxWaveZ

Edit:SPOILER FOR VLR, DON'T HIGHLIGHT THE SPOILERS IN THIS PARAGRAPH IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME Hmm, to be honest the idea about the
whole catastrophic event
thing came to me because I have played and finished VLR which
proposed like, the same exact thing
. I doubt it would be my guess if I haven't played VLR before, hahaha. Well... let's see if it's something that's also true in this game.

This game came out before VLR, though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This game came out before VLR, though.

Well, strictly talking about the US release here, since if it's still in Japanese then it's pretty same as doesn't existing, in my book :(

Anyways, I played VLR first, in any event.

Also, I would like to add that every time I logged on to GAF (or periodically after I posted stuff here) I always do this:
1. Click on search.
2. Type on Laughing Banana on the field next to "Go"
3. Click show post.
4. Click "Go"

To find out those who quoted me or mentioning my username on various threads. It seems like many are mentioning me in the spoiler thread, since I see this:

Here. Don't click it if you haven't finished this game yet, I suppose.

I don't click them to read the full post though, although it's pretty obvious even from the snippet version what people are talking about.

Anyways, it seems like
I was being pegged on as being a liar here because I post my thoughts, which from the reaction looks like to be accurate?
Well, I don't know what to say. This is really the 1st time I played Danganronpa and as I strive to finish a chapter a day I thought I'd like to post my thoughts here. But if by doing that people
really thought me as a liar
then I suppose I should stop doing it and keep my thoughts to myself.

I don't "look for attention", but I guess if people are thinking that way there's nothing I can do. Well, except stop posting my thoughts, lest I am being accused more.

Sorry for making you guys think that way of me. Well, anyways, yeah.

Wazzy

Banned
I don't think it's appropriate to have this discussion in this thread since others might highlight your predictions and see this post and then be spoiled.

If this is your first time, apologies that you're being spoiled. But you should discuss this in the spoiler thread with the people doubting you rather than bring it up in here for others who are doing first time playthroughs. You can also PM them.

Anyway, beat the game and you'll understand why some people are a little skeptical. I would ignore any other posts about it if you don't want to be spoiled. Feel free to continue posting your thoughts.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I don't think it's appropriate to have this discussion in this thread since others might highlight your predictions and see this post and then be spoiled.

If this is your first time, apologies that you're being spoiled. But you should discuss this in the spoiler thread with the people doubting you rather than bring it up in here for others who are doing first time playthroughs. You can also PM them.

Anyway, beat the game and you'll understand why some people are a little skeptical. I would ignore any other posts about it if you don't want to be spoiled. Feel free to continue posting your thoughts.

1st bolded: You're right. I just make the pic in link form and put a warning besides it.

2nd bolded: Nah... I am afraid this will spoil me even further. Want to make my experience as pristine as possible. Maybe later when I truly finish the game, then perhaps.

Wazzy

Banned
1st bolded: You're right. I just make the pic in link form and put a warning besides it.

2nd bolded: Nah... I am afraid this will spoil me even further. Want to make my experience as pristine as possible. Maybe later when I truly finish the game, then perhaps.

Fair enough. I just don't want anyone else being spoiled. :p

Eusis

Peeking in here... I guess 1. I should rip through the game, and 2. Until then leave my contribution to the thread being an off the cuff "this is so Anime" comment.

Top Bottom