• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark |OT| So this game exists...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Lol at the Xbox trailer just being uploaded to the Steam page.

Really shows that these guys care about their product.

MormaPope

Banned
YES!

Fantastic OP, the Vampire: Masquerade screenshots were a fantastic touch. Best OT's are ones like this.

EDIT: Shit, didn't notice that Masquerade has its own OT, A+.

Nozem

ss_f48610f5039bf7791c5620dd416695b63613b038.1920x1080.jpg

Hey look it's SUPERHUMAN LIGHT VISION™

© PentaGod December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM.

repeater

For some reason, the trailer for this game was the first thing I saw during this E3. Needless to say, I was concerned. However, as we all know, E3 eventually took a turn for the better.

OMG, this game runs like ASS in certain parts. Doesn't matter the settings if they're set in LOW. Holy shit. I'm in the beginning tweaking my settings in the club, love the look and the song, but fuck. Once you hit the dance floor, FRAPS says my GTX 660Ti is hitting 45 to 40fps, with no AA, SSAO and shadows at Medium at 1080p. I even put the textures at Low, and still, lol.

Karak

OMG, this game runs like ASS in certain parts. Doesn't matter the settings if they're set in LOW. Holy shit. I'm in the beginning tweaking my settings in the club, love the look and the song, but fuck. Once you hit the dance floor, FRAPS says my GTX 660Ti is hitting 45 to 40fps, with no AA, SSAO and shadows at Medium at 1080p. I even put the textures at Low, and still, lol.

Yep. I talk about it in my Review. Sigh. Though I did love the song as well. Funny that that keeps coming up with people who are playing it. I personally hated the look immensely(didn't fit the tone of the world to me) but that didn't really hit me until conversations and actual exploring began.

Okay, this game is strange. It was optimize for 720, not 1080p. Usually when I want to run a demanding game(Witcher 2 and Crysis 3)game at the maxium setting, at 720p/60 I still have to tweak a few things, Usually like one notch or two. In this game, I have everything set to the max, and yes, even that resource hog SSAO. And I'm getting 60 lock at 720p. All because that fog in the dance floor, smh.

Karak

Okay, this game is strange. It was optimize for 720, not 1080p. Usually when I want to run a demanding game(Witcher 2 and Crysis 3)game at the maxium setting, at 720p/60 I still have to tweak a few things, Usually like one notch or two. In this game, I have everything set to the max, and yes, even that resource hog SSAO. And I'm getting 60 lock at 720p. All because that fog in the dance floor, smh.

This continues later FYI. Stutters and drops for no reason are default status here. Mostly not huge but random as hell.

Okay, the first meeting with
rose
is one of the funniest and worst moments in video game writing, lol. I'm dying. I'm going to like this pos if it has more dialog like that. This is the most expensive 2.50$ game I ever bought, and I'm not mad.

Karak

Okay, the first meeting with
rose
is one of the funniest and worst moments in video game writing, lol. I'm dying. I'm going to like this pos if it has more dialog like that. This is the most expensive 2.50$ game I ever bought, and I'm not mad.
Oh I think you will like it then:) It gets worse. As I said before. Bloom riddled mannequins with dead eyes speak to you either in cut-scenes or into your ear throughout the game with worse voice acting than Fast and Furious Showdown. Just like Fast and Furious they have no idea what the end of a sentence is and I truly do think the audio director must have died or been dead during the voice work recording.

Wait until the combat:)

Oh I think you will like it then:) It gets worse. As I said before. Bloom riddled mannequins with dead eyes speak to you either in cut-scenes or into your ear throughout the game with worse voice acting than Fast and Furious Showdown. Just like Fast and Furious they have no idea what the end of a sentence is and I truly do think the audio director must have died or been dead during the voice work recording.

Wait until the combat:)

I just got there, LMAO! The crackheads have guns, holy shit at this masterpiece of writing, are they serious. And man the stutter that happen on my first encounter, holyshit. It was quick, but man it looked like they needed a crack fix.

Karak

I just got there, LMAO! The crackheads have guns, holy shit at this masterpiece of writing, are they serious. And man the stutter that happen on my first encounter, holyshit. It was quick, but man it looked like they needed a crack fix.

:)
I am interested to see if you had the same issue I talk about in the review. Basically the collision detection is sometimes so bad and the AI so weird that skills you can buy are really hard to even figure out if they help or how they help exactly. It was crazy confusing trying to decide if I should go for an attack style skill(something I know would work) or the passive ones like easier to hide and so forth. Because many times the Ai never noticed me as I walked up to them and did a backflip kick into their faces...without even a single skill purchased:) In the end I upped health and a couple of those kinds of skills but stayed away from the ones that it seemed I had from the very start of the game(bad AI making it appear that way) or once that didn't seem to really...work in the game world.

Best voice acting "The door is locked...it will take me awhile...Hang on...Ok...."
All with 0 emotion and with no reason whatsoever to occur. No enemies in the area to make it seem tense or interesting or anything just...Stephen Hawking text to speech bad voice acting.

"They have guns"
"Hide or they will see you." That kind of stuff. Jeez.

:)
I am interested to see if you had the same issue I talk about in the review. Basically the collision detection is sometimes so bad and the AI so weird that skills you can buy are really hard to even figure out if they help or how they help exactly. It was crazy confusing trying to decide if I should go for an attack style skill(something I know would work) or the passive ones like easier to hide and so forth. Because many times the Ai never noticed me as I walked up to them and did a backflip kick into their faces...without even a single skill purchased:) In the end I upped health and a couple of those kinds of skills but stayed away from the ones that it seemed I had from the very start of the game(bad AI making it appear that way) or once that didn't seem to really...work in the game world.

Best voice acting "The door is locked...it will take me awhile...Hang on...Ok...."
All with 0 emotion and with no reason whatsoever to occur. No enemies in the area to make it seem tense or interesting or anything just...Stephen Hawking text to speech bad voice acting.

"They have guns"
"Hide or they will see you." That kind of stuff. Jeez.
Didn't notice any collision issue just yet, just the way he runs looks floaty. Also, I really hate the auto duck he goes into when he encounters the NPC. I wanted to mash my way, but he duck right away, and I had to manually get up and press buttons to see if something happens, lol. You should have went with the all upgrade right off the bat on the drink power. It makes no noise to the point that you can kill someone right next to them. And you get the chance to max that out just by doing the tutorial. I play stealth, so that made the most sense. I knew this game was going be that title were you could break the game, but I didn't it know it could happen this early. I haven't gotten further yet, but by the display of the AI in this game, I don't see them getting any smarter. I'm really having some good laughs with this title. Oh, and when you drag a body, holy shit, worst than those rag dog physics in the late 90's.

Karak

Didn't notice any collision issue just yet, just the way he runs looks floaty. Also, I really hate the auto duck he goes into when he encounters the NPC. I wanted to mash my way, but he duck right away, and I had to manually get up and press buttons to see if something happens, lol. You should have went with the all upgrade right off the bat on the drink power. It makes no noise to the point that you can kill someone right next to them. And you get the chance to max that out just by doing the tutorial. I play stealth, so that made the most sense. I knew this game was going be that title were you could break the game, but I didn't it know it could happen this early. I haven't gotten further yet, but by the display of the AI in this game, I don't see them getting any smarter. I'm really having some good laughs with this title. Oh, and when you drag a body, holy shit, worst than those rag dog physics in the late 90's.
No see to me that's the problem. I DIDN'T buy any power and could walk right up to them half the time. The AI is so borked that the skills are just broken for stealth at times. Arg I hated it. You don't need to buy a stealth skill like...ever:(

I totally laughed about the ragdoll when dragging people. Damn it I meant to point that out in the review too hahahah. Jiggly body and wait till they hit a flight of steps. The collision detection is laughably bad randomly on choke holds but the worst is the flip kick where you will instantly warp through them sometimes and like kick beside them, or when you punch them and they have already hit the ground and you are just starting to do the move:(

Sounds like you are getting that "bad" game enjoyment out of it:)

d00d3n

Enjoying the impressions. Good work, early adopters. Some questions if anyone is up for it:

How is the mission structure? Separate missions? Hub world?

Any areas with non hostile npc:s that you can interact with through conversations and social sidequests? Is that portion of the game any good?

Is there inventory managment in the game?

Veezy

que?
For early adopters, if the issues were fixed would the game become, well, decent? I can't imagine the developer will actually fix all the problems, but I'm still curious.

Labadal

I like it despite some issues. I'm very early in the game (only on first mission in the museum), but it plays well as long as you don't get detected, then you'll be dead very fast, especially if there are more than 2-3 enemas around. The point is not to get detected, so I don't have a big problem with this. As long as you sneak your way around, you'll be fine. The AI is non-existent, but I already knew that from previous trailers. The soldiers move in scripted patters, and react to some things, like seeing you, you stepping on glass or rubble and them finding the corpses of their comrades. If you're in their sight for to long, they will alarm other soldiers around. You actually have a little time to run back to cover before you are "completely" detected, they get suspicious first.

There are 4 inherited powers, 8 active powers and 4 passive powers. You can also upgrade all of these. Getting more health, making kills less noisy, or lowering cooldowns on some powers. Inherited powers cost nothing to use, two of these powers include, vampire vision (see enemies through walls) and teleport. Teleport does make some noise, but you can upgrade that and you can also upgrade the distance you can teleport. Passive abilities act just like they do in every other game. The active abilities cost blood to use, you get that from sucking blood from enemies. You have the choice of killing an enemy or draining him dry so you can use your powers. The risk is being heard when you suck someone's blood. It is best used on enemies that are alone.

The gameplay during missions reminds me of Alpha Protocol's stealth mechanics but with better cover and vampiric powers instead of weapons, combined with the challenge rooms in the Arkham games. Basically try to stay hidden while you take down guards and hide the bodies if you need to. Watch enemy patterns, take them down undetected to gain extra exp and then move on to the next area. You don't have to take down all the guards, I sneaked by a few so far. While I was heading for a mission checkpoint, I overheard some guards questioning a captive and shooting him because he didn't tell them what they wanted to know. I waited them out instead of progressing to the point I was supposed to go and took them down.

A system a was very upset with first (because I didn't really understand it at first) was the save system. I was very surprised when I wanted to save my game for the first time and the game told me I had only two saves left. WTF!? That was my immediate thought. Turns out you are limited in how many times you can save, but the thing is that you get two more saves after reaching checkpoints or cut scenes during missions. I don't know what to think about this, I'm a guy who saves his games frequently, but strangely enough, it hasn't really bothered me that much.

I don't have a problem with the voice acting so far. I was expecting worse. I mean, I was expecting my ears to bleed. On the other hand, the VA isn't amazing either. The most important part is that I don't hate the main characters voice. What is strange is how quick people talk. There is no pause between sentences. Again, I don't mind, because this is usually how a lot of games sound when I play because I usually read faster than characters speak. Maybe they knew this is the case, lol.

There seems to be no items at all. I've collected a book for some dude in the world hub. Yes, there is a hub and missions take place in different isolated areas. I've also read a few PDA's, apparently, there are seven of them in the museum. They give a very nice amount of exp. More than twice as much as a silent kill.

Remember that I'm only on the first mission, but I'm happy with the $18 I spent, at least for now.

Karak

For early adopters, if the issues were fixed would the game become, well, decent? I can't imagine the developer will actually fix all the problems, but I'm still curious.
Yes. I walked through a good deal of points in my review where I feel that the devs DO have some good ideas, an interesting world, and so forth. They just needed to fix a boatload of crap.

They do seem to have cared, the gameworld is somewhat interesting. But to be honest it is HARD to see the core of the game through so many issues. In my opinion.

Edit: The fact that Labadal enjoyed the first bit makes me happy as people feeling like they spent money for nothing is sad to me. If someone gets 18 out of it. God bless them. I mean GOD BLESS THEM.

I like it despite some issues. I'm very early in the game (only on first mission in the museum), but it plays well as long as you don't get detected, then you'll be dead very fast, especially if there are more than 2-3 enemas around. The point is not to get detected, so I don't have a big problem with this. As long as you sneak your way around, you'll be fine. The AI is non-existent, but I already knew that from previous trailers. The soldiers move in scripted patters, and react to some things, like seeing you, you stepping on glass or rubble and them finding the corpses of their comrades. If you're in their sight for to long, they will alarm other soldiers around. You actually have a little time to run back to cover before you are "completely" detected, they get suspicious first.

There are 4 inherited powers, 8 active powers and 4 passive powers. You can also upgrade all of these. Getting more health, making kills less noisy, or lowering cooldowns on some powers. Inherited powers cost nothing to use, two of these powers include, vampire vision (see enemies through walls) and teleport. Teleport does make some noise, but you can upgrade that and you can also upgrade the distance you can teleport. Passive abilities act just like they do in every other game. The active abilities cost blood to use, you get that from sucking blood from enemies. You have the choice of killing an enemy or draining him dry so you can use your powers. The risk is being heard when you suck someone's blood. It is best used on enemies that are alone.

The gameplay during missions reminds me of Alpha Protocol's stealth mechanics but with better cover and vampiric powers instead of weapons, combined with the challenge rooms in the Arkham games. Basically try to stay hidden while you take down guards and hide the bodies if you need to. Watch enemy patterns, take them down undetected to gain extra exp and then move on to the next area. You don't have to take down all the guards, I sneaked by a few so far. While I was heading for a mission checkpoint, I overheard some guards questioning a captive and shooting him because he didn't tell them what they wanted to know. I waited them out instead of progressing to the point I was supposed to go and took them down.

A system a was very upset with first (because I didn't really understand it at first) was the save system. I was very surprised when I wanted to save my game for the first time and the game told me I had only two saves left. WTF!? That was my immediate thought. Turns out you are limited in how many times you can save, but the thing is that you get two more saves after reaching checkpoints or cut scenes during missions. I don't know what to think about this, I'm a guy who saves his games frequently, but strangely enough, it hasn't really bothered me that much.

I don't have a problem with the voice acting so far. I was expecting worse. I mean, I was expecting my ears to bleed. On the other hand, the VA isn't amazing either. The most important part is that I don't hate the main characters voice. What is strange is how quick people talk. There is no pause between sentences. Again, I don't mind, because this is usually how a lot of games sound when I play because I usually read faster than characters speak. Maybe they knew this is the case, lol.

There seems to be no items at all. I've collected a book for some dude in the world hub. Yes, there is a hub and missions take place in different isolated areas. I've also read a few PDA's, apparently, there are seven of them in the museum. They give a very nice amount of exp. More than twice as much as a silent kill.

Remember that I'm only on the first mission, but I'm happy with the $18 I spent, at least for now.

I agree with this so far (first mission also). It's a pure stealth game and I definitely appreciate that.

dreamfall

Most awesome OT- VTMB is the greatest everrrr!

I want more Vampires- I think I'm excited about this, but I'd like to read some impressions before maybe jumping on it.

Magnificent OT, kudos!

Okay, the beginning of this game(Before the first mission) makes this game look bad. Once you have a few missions under your belt, is a different beast. Like a few already mentioned. This is purely a stealth, no other way to play it. If you do, is going to be a quite challenging experience. Even with the powers you gain, you have to use them wisely. Some take time, while others are limited. So remembering the stage and patterns is a must. Because you need to know if you have enough time to hide the body, or if there is any debris around your prey that won't alarm others. Little things like that gives the game some nice touches. ANd with the limited Saves on missions, this games makes you play "Silent Assassin" of the bat. I highly recommend this game when it hits the Steam sales. It has issues*Micro-Stutter for example), but nothing that interferes with gameplay. Its something that doesn't happen frequent. Hitman didn't give me the stealth game I wanted, so DARK is doing the job quite nicely.

This game seems interesting, but my first thought was definitely wait for a good sale as it probably isn't worth the full asking price.

Sounds like it's pure stealth which I'm always a sucker for!

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
This game seems interesting, but my first thought was definitely wait for a good sale as it probably isn't worth the full asking price.

From what I've seen of the game and the impressions/reviews. Less than $20, is a decent price for this title; $15 is a steal.

Yeah, wait for a sale. This game is too much for 39$ The graphics ain't all that. The levels recycle items and such. The collision is an issue at times when you drag a body. The Hitbox in this game is huge, lol. But besides that, I love the game. It has charm. But, the colors pop in this game with SweetFX with DPX mode on. I'll post in a few after this mission.

Abominuz

Banned
This game.... Stay away from it.
I have never seen such bad animation work this gen.
Character slide all over the place in cutscenes, character move like stick figures.

SJRB

Gold Member
Livestream going on right here:

Quote for link

This game seems pretty mediocre [to put it mildly].

You can't save from the menu on hard, but you can quicksave by pressing f5...don't really understand the point removing or limited menu saving, but it works.

The game is pretty easy now that I have a bulk of the powers leveled up, the game is giving me strong Dishonored vibes in that regard.

Top Bottom