• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark |OT| So this game exists...

Camp Lo

Banned
I like it a lot. It has flaws, none game breaking, and the story is meh (I skip through it all after the first mission). I love the cel shaded artstyle and powers. Shrug, it's pretty fun to me, definitely could be better though. A solid 6/10

Beck

I really enjoy the supernatural abilities and I'm a sucker for stealth games, but this game is just plain. Story, characters, voice acting and dialogue are just bad.

Just finished it.

The final boss battle was terrible, it was easy and went on for too long. You basically run around in circles activating terminals while vampire hulk tries to crush you. Also, it seems like the game remembers that it was trying to be an rpg and gives you some nonsense "choice" at the end.

I had fun playing the game for the most part, but the story and dialogue was trash.

I like it a lot. It has flaws, none game breaking, and the story is meh (I skip through it all after the first mission). I love the cel shaded artstyle and powers. Shrug, it's pretty fun to me, definitely could be better though. A solid 6/10

Yup. Is a game I recommend to stealth fans for under 14$ I payed the entry out of curiosity. And I'm having a blast.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
No reviews?

Shame, it looks like something Jim Sterling would give a 10.

I'm pretty sure this is a release where preview copies weren't sent out to the press. Additionally, the console release is supposed to release in three days so many reviewers might be waiting for that.

------------------

For everyone showing their love of V:tMB:

*Hugs!*

Nemesis_

Doesn't come out here until the 25th. I'm kind of looking forward to it, if I'm being honest. Looks like something a little bit different. These weird B-grade experiences have been the most rewarding to me recently (especially Remember Me)

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't come out here until the 25th. I'm kind of looking forward to it, if I'm being honest. Looks like something a little bit different. These weird B-grade experiences have been the most rewarding to me recently (especially Remember Me)

Australia? Sorry, due to the name and low profile I can't seem to find a lot of data on other regions.

Labadal

FAQ:

Are there any reviews?
Fuck you.

Why? Is this a role playing game?
Fuck you.

Alright, stop. Can I save everywhere?
FUCK YOU!!!1one

Whoa, easy there buddy! Can you at least tell me if the writing is good?
FeKk... yoe?

What? Is the gameplay any good?
Fuck you in the dark.

Yes, yes, you can fuck me later. Would you recommend this game to anyone else?
*unzips zipper*

I have a love/hate relationship with it. I know it's not a great game but can't stop playing. Still don't regret buying it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Hardcore Gamer Magazine 2.5/5
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2013/07/05/review-dark/
If you’re in need of a good traditional stealth game that happens to include vampires and supernatural abilities, then you’ll be in a conflicted reality. There is some good here, but thanks to the lackluster presentation values, questionable voice acting and brainless artificial intelligence, Dark turns into an experience you may want to quietly sneak past. The RPG elements and distinct visual style do present some life, but don’t go in expecting this to be a mechanically sound game

I have no idea who are these guys and never heard of the site before but it's listed in metacritic, and it's the only review so far so that something.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Hardcore Gamer Magazine 2.5/5
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2013/07/05/review-dark/

I have no idea who are these guys and never heard of the site before but it's listed in metacritic, and it's the only review so far so that something.

Yeah, I saw their review a while ago, but I wanted to hold off on posting it in the OP as I was also unfamiliar with the site. But since you mentioned it I'll go ahead and add it to the OT.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Haha holy crap OT was amazing. Started getting to the end and was like meh relatively funny joke OT and then it launches into a completely different OT. Well played.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Haha holy crap OT was amazing. Started getting to the end and was like meh relatively funny joke OT and then it launches into a completely different OT. Well played.

The developers should've done the same as the ot, just make the game a Masquerade Bloodlines clone.

theDeeDubs

Got my 360 copy yesterday and I've been enjoying this quite a lot. Once I started upgrading my powers, especially maxing out Shadow Leap, this became a great stealth game. It's janky as all hell though. After being disappointed in Mark of the Ninja recently, I have been really craving a new stealth game, and DARK is quenching it.

If your a stealth/rpg fan and can overlook some jank, like in Alpha Protocol or Vampire the Masquerade, I'd give this a shot. The gameplay actually reminds me a lot of Alpha Protocol in that once I started upgrading more, I started to easily overlook its jank in favor of its rpg systems.

My only real issue is that the hit detection when sneaking up behind someone can be a little finicky. I wish the takedown prompt would pop up a little sooner, as I feel I have to almost be touching people sometimes before I get it. I've been rectifying this by spamming 'A' while sneaking up behind people.

One of the quotes on the box had me laughing. "These vampires are killers, and they mean business." -Examiner
Wtf lol. Poor game :(.

Karak

My deepest and most sincere condolences.

Hahahaha. I was just going to say that. Well its not THAT bad. But as I said in my review...it is VERY far away from being good.

My only real issue is that the hit detection when sneaking up behind someone can be a little finicky. I wish the takedown prompt would pop up a little sooner, as I feel I have to almost be touching people sometimes before I get it. I've been rectifying this by spamming 'A' while sneaking up behind people.
Ya that's what I ended up doing. The hit detection and massive hit boxes can end up being hilarious though. With you performing a choking move on a dude standing a foot away or doing a flip kick on a guy that is behind a tree.

Labadal

Hahahaha. I was just going to say that. Well its not THAT bad. But as I said in my review...it is VERY far away from being good.

Ya that's what I ended up doing. The hit detection and massive hit boxes can end up being hilarious though. With you performing a choking move on a dude standing a foot away or doing a flip kick on a guy that is behind a tree.

I actually don't hate it. I'm mostly angry at the save system. The rest of the issues are not a surprise to me. While I might get some enjoyment out of this game, I would personally not recommend this to any of my friends.

Karak

I actually don't hate it. I'm mostly angry at the save system. The rest of the issues are not a surprise to me. While I might get some enjoyment out of this game, I would personally not recommend this to any of my friends.

Ya I don't hate it either. I just don't want to remember playing it:) It was painful to review simply because it was so messy in the first 1-2 levels that I had to question if it was worth pushing through.

After playing for a few hours it would be easy to blow this game off simple cause some of the voice acting is weak, and the game play can be extremely frustrating at times (checkpoint system can suck sometimes). I gotta admit, I think graphically it has a cool look and style for the mood they are presenting. Another thing is the game is just total stealth, little room for error, and with a lack of a proper combat system, causes some mighty fine frustrations. Yet I think if you can look past some of those things, it's a game I can see others enjoying. The ability to teleport to location, and leveling up is fun, though a few of the skills seem a bit too samey. Like the distraction/mind ones. I've played some some other turds this year I would gladly put Dark over (Star Trek, Ride to Hell, etc) and while that's not saying much, I do think uber stealth fans that like the idea of a vampire game, might dig it. I'll be finishing it before I get my video review up and posted, but after all the negative talk, I'm a bit surprised that I'm enjoying it at all.

Labadal

After playing for a few hours it would be easy to blow this game off simple cause some of the voice acting is weak, and the game play can be extremely frustrating at times (checkpoint system can suck sometimes). I gotta admit, I think graphically it has a cool look and style for the mood they are presenting. Another thing is the game is just total stealth, little room for error, and with a lack of a proper combat system, causes some mighty fine frustrations. Yet I think if you can look past some of those things, it's a game I can see others enjoying. The ability to teleport to location, and leveling up is fun, though a few of the skills seem a bit too samey. Like the distraction/mind ones. I've played some some other turds this year I would gladly put Dark over (Star Trek, Ride to Hell, etc) and while that's not saying much, I do think uber stealth fans that like the idea of a vampire game, might dig it. I'll be finishing it before I get my video review up and posted, but after all the negative talk, I'm a bit surprised that I'm enjoying it at all.

Well, I do think the 2/10 and 3/10 reviews are full of crap. I'd probably rate it at 5/10 from what I have played. There's lots of jankiness and awful writing/voice acting. On the other hand, it is more or less a stealth game and the main character does an okay job, I mean he's Geralt's VA.

Well, I do think the 2/10 and 3/10 reviews are full of crap. I'd probably rate it at 5/10 from what I have played. There's lots of jankiness and awful writing/voice acting. On the other hand, it is more or less a stealth game and the main character does an okay job, I mean he's Geralt's VA.

Yeah there is a niche group out there that will enjoy this. Even with the frustrations and I think I fall into the group. The style of cell shading, along with the vampire storyline is def enjoyable and wish there was more games with this vibe. Sadly, we get what we can get. My biggest issues are the lack of any decent combat, and the checkpoints sometimes being severely behind. Nothing sucks more then stealthing for 15 minutes, screwing something up, and then having to go far back.

Labadal

I have a STEAM trading card that only 5 other people in the world are willing to sell. Yes, this game actually has trading cards.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I have a STEAM trading card that only 5 other people in the world are willing to sell. Yes, this game actually has trading cards.

Haha!

Look here, I'll do you a favor. I'll trade you. You give me the card and I'll give you a special mention in the OT.

Trust me, you're not going to find a better deal.

DARK also has oculus rift support.

Labadal

Haha!

Look here, I'll do you a favor. I'll trade you. You give me the card and I'll give you a special mention in the OT.

Trust me, you're not going to find a better deal.

DARK also has oculus rift support.

It even has an achievement for using it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
more reviews

GamesRadar 3.5/5

So while it's always nice to see an attempt to breathe new life into stealth action games, Dark retains and even amplifies many of the frustrating trappings that make the genre so off-putting for some. It's too buggy, imprecise, and narratively unengaging to be of much interest even to those in the market for this sort of thing

What? How does this game have trading card and Oculus Rift support? It was sent out to die.

dunno..but I'd like OR support for Vampire: the Masquerade Bloodlines, dat haunted hotel.

theDeeDubs

Just finished this up and even got all the achievements last night. I really loved this game. Dark is a love letter to old school stealth fans in my opinion. Once I had all the powers going (max Grip and Leap ASAP) this game became an absolute joy to play through. Leap allows for some pretty amazing shortcut exploits too. I basically bypassed an entire boss level at the end of chapter 2. Love when games allow me to do this (like finding shortcuts in D/Da Souls games).

This game is not without its jank. Hit detection was still a little weird, trying to aim my leap while in cover could get a little finicky at times, and most of the voice acting was bad. Still, I liked the look of the cell shading; it certainly shined more in some areas as opposed to others though.

If you're RPG and/or stealth fan you can't go wrong with this. It combines my two favorite genres so I'm biased of course.

Jawmuncher

What kind of OT is that?

Title should've been Dark OT Now hijacked my vampire the masquerade bloodlines.

Anyway Dark looks like my kind of game. Though not until it hits 10 or less. I love trying out the lower budget titles and taking them for what they are.

I ended up getting... 3... yes 3 copies of this game. Two review copies on accident and a contest copy I won (before knowing I was getting a review copy). O_O So much dark.. my eyes can't take it. Might throw them up in the GAF Buy/sell thread.

Jawmuncher

I ended up getting... 3... yes 3 copies of this game. Two review copies on accident and a contest copy I won (before knowing I was getting a review copy). O_O So much dark.. my eyes can't take it. Might throw them up in the GAF Buy/sell thread.

You need to play all 3 and review them
Separately regardless if they're all for the same system.

Top Bottom