• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark |OT| So this game exists...

in the video TB said it should've been only that (as don't give other options if your other gaming mechanics sucks and focus on stealth) I think this was the biggest issue with Velvet Assassin as well.

Well there really isn't even combat. There is steath kills and then you have your one button kills up close. you barely have a means to defend yourself when spotted. Not sure how this game is showcasing anything but stealth really.

Labadal

Beat the game (on hard) today. Triggering no alarms, killing everything silently until I had learned all the abilities. After that, I just quickly sneaked my way past everything . The final boss was a joke, indeed. I won't spoil anything, let's just say that it is the easiest final "boss fight" in any game I can remember playing. As I said in my impression, there is basically no AI for the guards. They are scripted, how they react, where they go if alerted and all that. I saw the levels more like a puzzle to solve. How do their patterns look when they move and how should I take them out without getting detected, or the corpse getting detected. You can hide corpses, so you need to make sure you have the time to do that. The best thing I can say about the game is that I enjoyed some of the levels. Some of them were fairly big and I would reload once or twice, not because I got stuck, I just wanted to see if I could tackle it differently. Many times this was the case.

-Awful animations.
-Bad voice acting.
-Terrible writing.
-Some meaningless abilities.
-Awful save system.

+Stealth game.
+Gameplay was fun.
+Some good abilities.
+Graphical style was okay.
+Levels had a good layout.

+-Levels had a good layout, but the save system made some of them annoying.

I liked it in the beginning, started to get annoyed in late chapter 2 and chapter 3. Started enjoying it again in chapter 4-6. The game should probably take you 10-12 hours to beat on hard if you intend to play it like I did. You can finish it much quicker if you just want to rush through it. I could easily see a speedrun of 2 hours or less.

My final score: 6/10.

This is a pretty average stealth game all things considered, but I'm willing to play anything that even remotely resembles Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and this game screams World of Darkness in terms of atmosphere and setting, so I've been enjoying it. 6/10 sounds about right, it's an unremarkable game, but 40% on Metacritic is pretty ridiculous for a game where the main failing is simply being unremarkable.

Ricker

This game reminds me of Velvet Assassin,in the sense that most critics and people hated the game but I absolutly adored the stealth in it...might try this out at some point.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Game is good despite it's rough patches. But just be informed that the game is a bit more forgiving that Velvet Assassin.

If you're interested in picking it up, it was recently on sale for ~$10 on Steam. It could easily go a bit lower in the next few days during the annual winter sale. If it does indeed lower in price, I'll probably just pick up a second copy so I don't have to deal with the hassle of setting up my 360.

Top Bottom