• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 critics demolished by SCIENCE

Bartski

Gold Member
There’s this guy on YouTube I came across a few days ago who’s putting out incredibly well-researched and illustrated arguments, absolutely obliterating a lot of those BRUTALLY HONEST Dark Souls 2 hate train riders, including Mauler's infamous 8 hour long response to Hbomberguy. Much of it involves A/B comparisons between DS2 vanilla and DS2: SOTFS, highlighting flaws in my own earlier views on the subject which I'm happy to admit to.

It’s just straight-up amazing material for Dark Souls 2 fans, especially for those who, like me, have extensively played both versions and hold strong opinions on them.

way more:

just an honest recommendation, I'm not affiliated with this channel in any way.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Charlie Day Ok GIF

SJRB

Gold Member
I fucking hate Dark Souls II. Not even five minutes into playing it for the first time I knew things were bad but I slogged my way through regardless and it was a miserable experience and no amount of video essays can convince me otherwise.

A D-tier product from the B-tier team. A stain of a game on an otherwise impeccable and pristine developer resume. The red-headed stepchild. The black sheep.

There is no redemption.

Bojji

My first impressions with Dark souls 2 were like: this is devil may cry 1 (amazing, great quality) to dmc2 (cheap, mediocre) all over again.

But overall game is not bad and I liked it. Still I think it's the weakest souls game.

Gojiira

Earthen Peak, tower in the middle of a FLAT wasteland, with a Elevator UP INTO A VOLCANO…No Mans Wharf, a Wharf BELOW the sea level…Im sorry but these two examples sum up the level of care that went into DS2 perfectly, game has some good ideas but nobody is convincing me its better than its mid reputation.

rm082e

My first impressions with Dark souls 2 were like: this is devil may cry 1 (amazing, great quality) to dmc2 (cheap, mediocre) all over again.

But overall game is not bad and I liked it. Still I think it's the weakest souls game.

This is exactly my feeling as well. I was disappointed compared to other From Software games, but DS2 is still better than all of the other souls-likes from other developers.

I did really like The Lost Sinner boss fight. That one sticks out as a high point in the series for me.

tommib

Baby, I got you. It’s us against the world - we know in the purity of our hearts that Dark Souls 2 is the superior Dark Souls experience. We’ll die as the better human beings.

Tommi84

Earthen Peak, tower in the middle of a FLAT wasteland, with a Elevator UP INTO A VOLCANO…No Mans Wharf, a Wharf BELOW the sea level…Im sorry but these two examples sum up the level of care that went into DS2 perfectly, game has some good ideas but nobody is convincing me its better than its mid reputation.
Or the stupid blacksmith's daughter sitting and sobbing IN FRONT OF A BLaCKSMITH how she lost her father and doesn't know what has happened to him

Or that few levels are straight up corridors or that bosses are made difficult by adding multiple bosses inatead of creating a memorable fights

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member

This game got a major restructure halfway through development. And they had all these individual map assets that had to connect somehow so they cobbled it together in many ways without real rhyme or reason and that's why the world feels so disconnected.

The reason why Dark Souls 2 feels half-baked is because it is, and it focused on all the wrong reasons that made Dark Souls such a success.

Trogdor1123

That always bugged me too but I let it go as those areas are awesome. I also used some kind of head canon about how it showed the world in disarray, the reality itself was messed up.

It’s goofy, but it is still a great game. Majula is the best hub of all the souls games.

I dunno... I didn't play it till the PS4 version came out, but I was pretty surprised when I started reading about how disliked it was. It's a fine game.

Bernardougf

The only reason I'm not placing you on ignore for this comment is so that I can see who agrees with it, and I can safely ignore their opinions on anything going forward.

Thank you for your service.
Honest opinion... btw Lords of The Fallen is also better. I just despise open world games and what they tend to do with every game and Elden Ring is not exception but in different ways, also the balance of the game is all off because of the low key easy modes (summons/ash) that Miyazaki chose to put in it. I have hundreds of hours in every souls, including DS2, Elden Ring I played, got the easy platinum and will never touch again nor play the expansion.

Having said that is obviously a beloved competent well successful game, its just not my cup of tea.

Edit: in fact as soon as I finish Lies of Pi in going to restart DS2 SoF and see what I really think since I played a long time ago and my judgment may be clouded.

Last edited:

Doom85

Vine Ok GIF

Geezus, let it go. I think it’s a great game, just not on par with Dark Souls 1 and 3, and especially not Bloodborne and Elden Ring. I’d put it above Demon’s Souls as that one felt pretty rough (still somewhat enjoyable) and they were still figuring the series out. If someone has preferences, it’s all good, but who the fucks talks about those preferences for 8 hours?!

Gojiira

That always bugged me too but I let it go as those areas are awesome. I also used some kind of head canon about how it showed the world in disarray, the reality itself was messed up.

It’s goofy, but it is still a great game. Majula is the best hub of all the souls games.
Sorry but its a RPG and immersing yourself in the world and its lore is a huge part of them, DS2 feels like a videogame,not a experience. It feels like ‘Levels’ not a world and that is a huge failure. Sorry but Head canon means nothing when everything in game is almost a retcon of the first game, which hilariously was retconned itself in DS3. Not a great game.
This game got a major restructure halfway through development. And they had all these individual map assets that had to connect somehow so they cobbled it together in many ways without real rhyme or reason and that's why the world feels so disconnected.

The reason why Dark Souls 2 feels half-baked is because it is, and it focused on all the wrong reasons that made Dark Souls such a success.
Mhmm yep half baked, rushed, very little care. Theres still no excuse for the haphazard layout.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Never understood how anyone ever thought vanilla was as good as SOTFS... Mind you, I can't think of any game that got nit-picked to death as badly as DS2.

Always seemed to me that people never got past the visual differences in the pre-release footage, and went in with an intention to "punish" the game by pissing and moaning about anything and everything. Classic example being stuff like Iron keep's wonky geography... as if that actually mattered! It was neurotic!

poodaddy

Gold Member
Zzz Ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

As someone who loves DS 2.....why do you care what others think about it? Just play and enjoy, there's no need for this level of argument over it; it's all subjective man.

Codes 208

still my least favorite, but you do you boo
Dark Souls II is my favorite DS, but the changes in SotFS are utter shit.
Funny thing is I actually liked vanilla. It was easier sure, but all sotfs really did was create a lot more gank fights and added later game enemies to early areas for cheap kills. That wasnt very fun to go through initially.

Zathalus

I liked DS2. Not as good as the first game and in many ways it’s the weakest of the DS games, but it is good nonetheless. I’m really puzzled as to why some hate it.

Top Bottom