• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 critics demolished by SCIENCE

skneogaf

Dark souls 2 is the only one I've finished just once, I had an hour on it a few days ago though. I couldn't hack some issues I must have been blind to previously as I kind of hated it.

I do really want to play through it again though so I may have to restrain myself from any other fromsoftware games for a while to reset my brain so I can somehow not notice them.

Stuart360

DS2 has always been my fave Souls game, and have said it many times on here.
I genuinely dont understand the hate. Its the biggest and longest Souls game, most bosses, most different environments, most variety in enemies. Its just great imo.

I can only fathom that a lot of the hate ends up being 'Myazaki didnt drect it so its shit'.

I genuinely dont understand the hate. Its the biggest and longest Souls game, most bosses, most different environments, most variety in enemies. Its just great imo.

I can only fathom that a lot of the hate ends up being 'Myazaki didnt drect it so its shit'.
It has the clunkiest controls and the jankiest animation

Cool. As someone who has played all the souls games, it's easily the worst. No matter what videos or "analysis" is out there will change my, or most people's minds on that. Its a good game overall, but compared to other souls games, it's bad.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Cool. As someone who has played all the souls games, it's easily the worst. No matter what videos or "analysis" is out there will change my, or most people's minds on that. Its a good game overall, but compared to other souls games, it's bad.
Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

Larxia

I fucking hate Dark Souls II. Not even five minutes into playing it for the first time I knew things were bad but I slogged my way through regardless and it was a miserable experience and no amount of video essays can convince me otherwise.

A D-tier product from the B-tier team. A stain of a game on an otherwise impeccable and pristine developer resume. The red-headed stepchild. The black sheep.

There is no redemption.
Yeah no... You can dislike the game, but if you like all other souls games, saying that after only 5 MINUTES you knew the game was terrible... that doesn't make any sense. It just sounds like you already decided to not like it before starting it, probably because of the "it's not miyazaki" thing.
Again you are allowed to dislike it, I for example don't like dark souls 3, but I don't see how you can hate it after only 5 minutes, I don't see what's so terrible in 5 minutes compared to the other first 5 minutes in other from software games.

AngelMuffin

Just wrapped up my first ever play through of DS2 after playing all the other From games. I enjoyed it for the most part but get some of the gripes i.e., the bland boss design, hit boxes, etc.
Unfortunately, it had the unenviable task of following DS1. I wonder if we would feel the same if DS2 was From’s second entry after Demon’s Souls? Maybe, maybe not. Just a thought.

simpatico

Gold Member
I fully accept and understand the critiques from the people who say it's mid or even bad. I really do. Still my favorite. Just some intangible comfiness I get while playing. I think a lot of the best games display a similar phenomenon. Even at launch I didn't like it as much as I do now. It didn't dawn on me until replays. I just enjoy every single area. There's no annoying part I have to push through.

Last edited:

K' Dash

I fucking hate Dark Souls II. Not even five minutes into playing it for the first time I knew things were bad but I slogged my way through regardless and it was a miserable experience and no amount of video essays can convince me otherwise.

A D-tier product from the B-tier team. A stain of a game on an otherwise impeccable and pristine developer resume. The red-headed stepchild. The black sheep.

There is no redemption.

Better than bloodborne.

Soodanim

It has the clunkiest controls and the jankiest animation
Exactly. It immediately feels different to every other game in the genre and there's no getting past that - I've tried. Multiple times.

I'll say it for the 1001th time:
I would happily play the content of DS2 ported to DS1, DS3, or ER, or anywhere where the controls, movement, animation and sound are all fixed. I don't give a shit about geography being illogical, the world quite literally starts to fold in on itself in 3. DS2 has good ideas, but they are diamonds in the rough and not nearly enough to save the game.

Davey Cakes

I've put more hours into DS2 than either DS1 or DS3. Not saying it's a better game than either, but it sunk its talons into me all the same. I appreciate that it's the bizarre red-headed stepchild of the series, and I feel like getting through some of the more difficult and abrasive areas (No-Man's Wharf, The Gutter, Shrine of Amana) is a rite-of-passage.

That said, Frigid Outskirts can go to hell.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Who cares? I think it's a shit game but that's just my opinion and obviously lots of people love the game. I'm happy for them, cool!

Why would anyone care if someone doesn't like a game that they like? I don't get it.
I'm just saying that it's kinda funny that in a series with such high regard that even the worse in the series is still better than 99% out there people still wanna dunk on it

Dark souls 2 is the only one I've finished just once, I had an hour on it a few days ago though. I couldn't hack some issues I must have been blind to previously as I kind of hated it.

I do really want to play through it again though so I may have to restrain myself from any other fromsoftware games for a while to reset my brain so I can somehow not notice them.
good luck! i attempted a replay yesterday, & bailed after a few hours. it's just a clunky, 'soulless' game. to be fair i wish that i had access to the original (which's the one i remember) & not the scholar version, though i'm not sure it'd really make that much difference...

Melon Husk

Pretty funny that we're still hating on Dark Souls II. What year is it?
I'm sure he does it out of love.

Last edited:

Filben

Great for the tiny fraction of people that still care about people not liking the game as much as they do or the first game...

If people enjoy these kind of videos and/or DS2, more power to them. I cannot relate, however.

MagnesD3

Well to be fair its very mean and the Adp system sucks. But yeah its low key my favorute Dark souls game for reasons even though I think the best one is the first.

simpatico

Gold Member

DS2 was the peak of From combat before all the bosses got addicted to amphetamines. Quality duels. I didn't get my appreciation for it until the replays, after playing 3 a few times.

Still my only platinum trophy, I’m one of those weirdos that liked it more than the first. It has the weakest level design of the trilogy, but everything else I loved.
Tons of build/gear variety and the best dlc from the trilogy as well. NG+ actually added a few things as well, something I wish more of their titles would do.
Hexer for life.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Better than DS1.

Yeah I said it.

Nothing excuses how shit everything past Anor Londo is. Absolutely terrible.

Last edited:

tommib

What's shit besides Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith?
Love those 2 areas. It’s like being in the bowels of the earth with absolute evil in every corner. The womb that gave birth to the whore of Babylon.

Hate it when people trash these areas. From are excellent at bringing you into cosmic scale hellish spaces. And yes, I even like Bed of Chaos because it’s more of a puzzle boss instead of another giant armoured knight with endless health that you need to riposte.

The time to deconstruct this crystallised narrative has arrived.

simpatico

Gold Member
The videos are very detailed. I appreciate that style. Text to speech got a little grating but I got scrubbed through all of them and subscribed. Weird esoteric DS2 channels are one of the best YT genres.

Top Bottom