• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Gower's ring really makes the AD fight a complete joke.

He doesn't drop anything worthwhile.

And is probably the worst boss fight in the game to co-op for, as it only makes him harder without really being helpful.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah that's what i noticed. i do about 550 damage with my +10 lighting bastard sword with sunlight sword per r1 hit but it's still about 5% of his health at best

i'm just reading up on missables and gonna start out ng+, i wiki'd what ancient dragon drops and it's not worth the hassle

UrbanRats

yea i think i just gave up

i wanna start ng+ and this is not much fun, sunbro'd until all my weapons broke and we couldn't even kill him once.

i'm sorry i've failed you all my dear hosts T_T
AFAIK it's harder to do with summons anyway, cause he becomes less predictable.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Ancient Dragon co op is a hoot, I spent 2 hours just doing co op there one night. Only 1 successful summon out of 10. It's a boss that is best solo'd because in co op it becomes far less predictable and its HP goes sky high.

Really fun though, 3 players running around fighting a huge dragon reminds me of the fun times I had with Kalameet in Dark Souls 1, although Kalameet is a much more interesting boss fight and far more doable in co op than Ancient Dragon is.

Yeah I actually killed him 3-manning it as my first kill. Everyone knew what to do, we all attacked the legs and ran the eff out when he did his large breath and miraculously no one died. It was a once in a lifetime thing. The few times I tried to summon help for him, 9/10 they're dumbasses who enter the fog immediately after me and get toasted instantly. Way to go.

Minamu

Branches don't carry over to NG+ as it's classed as a key item.

The Gutter one is the quickest, you can be down and back in a couple of minutes. The two in Harvest Valley are also very quick to get and less dangerous imo if you're doing a no death run too. You wouldn't want to fuck up your run by a fall down the Pit!
Thanks, that sounds alright. I'll probably rely on coop a lot I suspect. As for the branches, someone in here said that one branch transferred over bjt might've been a glitch or the purchased one isn't under the same classification. I'll find out soon enough :)

zkylon

zkylewd
btw sin doesn't reset when you go to ng+ right?

i'm planning on murdering like the guy from blue sentinels since 500 summons isn't happening anyday soon

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
btw sin doesn't reset when you go to ng+ right?

i'm planning on murdering like the guy from blue sentinels since 500 summons isn't happening anyday soon
Sin doesn't reset. And you don't get the miracles or his gear from killing him. He only drops his halberd. So go ahead but prepare to get invaded every 5 steps by the boys in blue.

zkylon

zkylewd
sheesh really he doesn't drop his armor set?

i don't like it how no one drops their stuff

i think the murderous rampage you did at the end of demon's and dark 1 was a bit cynical but this is pretty sad, let me at least kill a couple of em lol

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I think they did the new system on purpose since everyone had guilt free genocide at the end of the first two games. Typical From trolling, like the jester set, making chests breakable and making Chloanne say "I only have one service to provide, and we both know what it is."

Echoplx

sheesh really he doesn't drop his armor set?

i don't like it how no one drops their stuff

i think the murderous rampage you did at the end of demon's and dark 1 was a bit cynical but this is pretty sad, let me at least kill a couple of em lol

You can buy it from the merchant hag lady after you kill him

Was amusing wearing it while sentinels invaded me :p

TnK

Well go retrieve them and go get one? It makes Smelter far more enjoyable and no its flame doesn't go out.
Beat the boss, but used the tower shield since the fire resistance was good. Retrieving was a problem because the souls were where the boss was.
Naw, I literally just did him today, dodging right dodges everything (except that AOE burst thing obviously) he does, even the sweep attacks. The only times I got hit was when I couldn't dodge because I got greedy or didn't react fast enough or was stuck in an animation. Just make sure to dodge each swing.

And no the flame stays 4ever.
The dodging actually had to be on the left, lol.

Why is there a freaking pursuer where the boss is?

zkylon

zkylewd
I think they did the new system on purpose since everyone had guilt free genocide at the end of the first two games. Typical From trolling, like the jester set, making chests breakable and making Chloanne say "I only have one service to provide, and we both know what it is."
i think it's alright, it's a reasonable "nerf"

You can buy it from the merchant hag lady after you kill him

Was amusing wearing it while sentinels invaded me :p
oh well that's all i want, don't care how i get it, i gotta have all the armors :3

i'm at "-" sin level so i guess one little kill won't be so bad, right?

The dodging actually had to be on the left, lol.

Why is there a freaking pursuer where the boss is?

lol mine were all to the right (my right, his left), the sweep always hit me when I dodged to my left/his right.

I hate how that pursuer had no proper boss healthbar on the bottom of the screen, made it feel like it took forever chipping away at the tiny health bar on top of his head.

TnK

lol mine were all to the right (my right, his left), the sweep always hit me when I dodged to my left/his right.

I hate how that pursuer had no proper boss healthbar on the bottom of the screen, made it feel like it took forever chipping away at the tiny health bar on top of his head.

Any benefits for beating him?

Re: The Pursuer

Recently, after clearing NG, I find that I've been starting new characters on a whim just to get to his very first encounter again in the Forest (before his encounter proper), to man mode him using the Parry/Riposte technique.

Ironically, I think he may be the best encounter to practise the mechanics with. I've 4 characters quickly generated for the purpose and deleted when it's done. More if I feel like it.

Best done with a small shield and a strike weapon, if I heard correctly? Really keeps you on your toes.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Got him with your method, took a couple tried but yeah thanks <3
Nice, congrats!

Ancient Dragon co op is a hoot, I spent 2 hours just doing co op there one night. Only 1 successful summon out of 10. It's a boss that is best solo'd because in co op it becomes far less predictable and its HP goes sky high.
Something I wondered... do bosses actually get more HP, or is it just more defense? I know my hits deal less damage in coop as opposed to solo, but does it also boost the boss's HP?

Another funny thing I noticed when in the Company of Champion; it seems that having the defense boost on enemies while having 2 phantoms is the same as the defense boost of the CoC. I was in the CoC and dealt X damage to Smelter per swing, but then I wanted to get the Sun sword so I temporarily joined the Sunbros, and when I was with a host and a second phantom, I dealt the exact same number of damage.

So it seems the CoC is like playing against enemies with 2 phantoms, but without those 2 phantoms to help you. Hah.

Really fun though, 3 players running around fighting a huge dragon reminds me of the fun times I had with Kalameet in Dark Souls 1, although Kalameet is a much more interesting boss fight and far more doable in co op than Ancient Dragon is.
Kalameet was so much more fun than the Ancient Dragon. A lot more dynamic and exciting, and not cheap like Ancient Dragon is. I never did coop him though, I should do that some time.

Soulhouf

Cooping Ancient Dragon was probably the most fun I had in this game. I beat it in coop myself the first time and it was so satisfying for once.
Seeing everyone run all over the place every time he starts flipping his wings was pretty hilarious.

On a side note, BK Great Axe, what did they do to you? D:
I don't understand this obsession to put requirements that make no sens and split the damage.

I know I'm late to the party, but I need to vent.

What the fuck is up with From and their inability to make a reasonable netcode? I understand lag is going to happen, but the huge phantom zone that I see when dodging and getting smacked with greatswords is ridiculous.

Not to mention the pure luck of dodging the spells that seek like a sidewinder.

I don't know if I'm just blinded, but I've played lots of Dark Souls, and I can't remember ever having such bad phantom zones when it came to the weapons. Dead zones? Yea, that's just part of the game and I've come to accept it, but the phantom zone is either new or somehow exasperated by something.

Oh, and invading by souls memory is the dumbest idea they have ever done. Unless I'm reading it wrong, no matter what my SL is my SM will dictate who I face, meaning at everyone is going to have max health, stamina and endurance, fast rolling in havells and using duel clubs.

What the fuck From, you ruined THE thing I loved about Dark Souls.

Mistel

Banned
I don't understand this obsession to put requirements that make no sens and split the damage.
The black knight swords got them too it doesn't even scale with one of the required stats so pointless.

UrbanRats

Oh, and invading by souls memory is the dumbest idea they have ever done. Unless I'm reading it wrong, no matter what my SL is my SM will dictate who I face, meaning at everyone is going to have max health, stamina and endurance, fast rolling in havells and using duel clubs.

What the fuck From, you ruined THE thing I loved about Dark Souls.

Once you hit 5m SM, gotta start over!

--
Since we're venting: I just hate the platforming in this series, it may not reach the level of shit that Devil May Cry and God of War reached with their platforming, exploring hard to reach places is cool, in and out of itself, but it's just shitty controls and weird physics, when it comes to jumping around. Blargh.

Once you hit 5m SM, gotta start over!

--
Since we're venting: I just hate the platforming in this series, it may not reach the level of shit that Devil May Cry and God of War reached with their platforming, exploring hard to reach places is cool, in and out of itself, but it's just shitty controls and weird physics, when it comes to jumping around. Blargh.

Eh, I think they've actually improved that aspect in the second game. I remember in DkS 1 there were more chances to fuck up when traversing the zones and platforming through no fault of your own. They've really toned down the platforming in DkS 2 in that respect.

Anyone remember that fucking branch in DkS1?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I wanted to make a Demon Great Hammer build, so I kept making new characters until I got it with the Petrified Something starting gift. Got it on my third character. Then I realized that it's a pretty OP weapon at such low SM. So I used my 3 cracked red orbs in the Forest of the Giants.

I am scum. To be fair, one guy had fkkn Resonant Weapon/Soul already (around 50k SM), so I wasn't the only scumbag there.

I wanted to make a Demon Great Hammer build, so I kept making new characters until I got it with the Petrified Something starting gift. Got it on my third character. Then I realized that it's a pretty OP weapon at such low SM. So I used my 3 cracked red orbs in the Forest of the Giants.

I am scum. To be fair, one guy had fkkn Resonant Weapon/Soul already (around 50k SM), so I wasn't the only scumbag there.

How the hell do you get 50 STR at 50k SM?

edit:- Wait, I just remembered you can 2H weapons to lower the requirements, but still....

I think you can invade players with higher sm than you. You can't being invade by players with higher sm than you untill you reach 14 mil sm.

Sullichin

Cooping Ancient Dragon was probably the most fun I had in this game. I beat it in coop myself the first time and it was so satisfying for once.
Seeing everyone run all over the place every time he starts flipping his wings was pretty hilarious.

I respecced into using BKGA (favorite weapon in DS1) and sought out another soul vessel after an hour. It suckkks. :(
Even putting aside the stat requirements, it's bad because the "sweet spot" for damage feels too small. You can hit a dog with the pole and do like 300 damage, but if the actual blade hits it does twice that.
DeS did "sweet spot" damage well and I think it was a hidden property in DaS, but didn't make much difference. They went overboard with it in DaS2. The halberd has the same problem, but at least that weapon is still good.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
How the hell do you get 50 STR at 50k SM?

edit:- Wait, I just remembered you can 2H weapons to lower the requirements, but still....

Yeah, all I needed was 25 strength, that's like 12 levels or something with the Knight. Warrior might've been better, as they start with 15 str, but yeah.

sikkinixx

That was a funny invasion in the... shaded ruins? (just before Door of Pharros area). Dude invaded so I ran back to the bonfire and up to the second level so I could see him coming. He was across the way looking at me. I waved. He waved. I did silly poses. He did some back. I threw some lightning spears at him to no luck and then waited a few minutes for him to get impatient. He finally came down and tried to get across so I took off half his health before he got to me and finally when I was out of spells nicking away his health, I whacked him off the edge.

Douche.

Gotta say... I'm just about to get the fourth great soul or whatever, 25ish hours in and I'm kinda ready for the game to be finished.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Man, who told me DaS 2 was as good as the previous titles? It's not even fucking close. Not enjoying it at all at the moment.

Felt the same way for a while, but once i got my agility up to 100 through adaptability and the rolling became super similar to the first dark souls, my opinionbecome so much higher.

seph1roth

My mind is full of fu** with the stats of this game.

So i've decided to use greatswords and i hace these maximiced

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Old+Knight+Greatsword#.U3qP_Pl_vuM

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Black+Dragon+Greatsword#.U3qSK_l_vuM

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Drangleic+Sword#.U3qSQPl_vuM

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Bastard+Sword#.U3qSTPl_vuM

Black Dragon Greatsword is shit, because it doesn't scale, in theory, Drangleic sword is better than Bastard sword but i'm doing more damage with bastard sword than Drangleic...

Old Knight greatsword in theory should be my best option but, again, bastard sword makes more damage i think.

My build by now is 35 strength and 25 dexterity

AngryMoth

My mind is full of fu** with the stats of this game.

So i've decided to use greatswords and i hace these maximiced

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Old+Knight+Greatsword#.U3qP_Pl_vuM

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Black+Dragon+Greatsword#.U3qSK_l_vuM

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Drangleic+Sword#.U3qSQPl_vuM

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Bastard+Sword#.U3qSTPl_vuM

Black Dragon Greatsword is shit, because it doesn't scale, in theory, Drangleic sword is better than Bastard sword but i'm doing more damage with bastard sword than Drangleic...

Old Knight greatsword in theory should be my best option but, again, bastard sword makes more damage i think.

My build by now is 35 strength and 25 dexterity
Are you sure about BDGS? Seemed very good when I was using it, and it has a nice move set. Don't fuss to much over scaling, it's not that important.

BadWolf

Just finished NG+.

Can't say it was hard but was a great experience nonetheless because it really shows how much you improve as a player after the first playthrough. You end up easily breezing through most of the areas that you spent hours on before. It also felt good to just to run and fight through areas and not care about item collection.

Was using a DEX build in NG and was okay with the stats I had up to that point so put most of the levels in NG+ into faith and got it to 50. Those Lightning Spears (the regular and Great versions) felt kind of overpowered tbh, felt like friggin Zeus.

Fave weapons were Uchigatana, Esparda Ropera and Dragon Chime.

After this second playthrough I would probably put this somewhere on equal footing with DS1. There were definitely less areas that I disliked being in or playing through again in DS2.

Top Bottom