• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

TnK

Pyromaniacs? You don't really I just found out as I wanted to set something on fire.

That is interesting lol.

The items found on the outskirts of the windmill, but can't be accessed because of barriers, how does one reach them? This is in the higher levels of the windmill.

Mistel

Banned
That is interesting lol.

The items found on the outskirts of the windmill, but can't be accessed because of barriers, how does one reach them? This is in the higher levels of the windmill.
Break the barriers. There's an NPC nearby to offer aid for a price.

TnK

Yep he's a merchant he offers some stuff at a discount whilst at earthen peak.

Maybe my game's glitched then? He never offers me anything really, just tells me there is treasure and it is dangerous.

He is the same NPC found in the beginning of the game where he says some guy went inside to find treasure but the door closed on him.

Oh you mean Sif 2.0? I beat him on like my 2nd or 3rd try. People are bad at this game I think.

Different people find different bosses difficult...

The problem I had with that boss is the four small rats. Once you take them out, it's not that bad. But dealing with a boss as well as a bunch of regular enemies is almost never fun.

Riposte

As 2xCaetus and Bastard Sword wielder(no shield/magic/range), Shrine of Amana was definitely the toughest area in the game. Got a bit easier when I finally thought to equip the magic resistance ring I had.

"Mirror Knight" or w/e, was a huge disappointment. That was the one they hyped up too.

Royal Rat Authority was pretty tough, but once you got yourself in a good position with everything but the main boss dead, it was very doable. That fight is nothing like Sif though.

Also I'm really sad I missed an (obvious in retrospect) summoning sign, so that NPC storyline never got resolved.

Mistel

Banned
Maybe my game's glitched then? He never offers me anything really, just tells me there is treasure and it is dangerous.

He is the same NPC found in the beginning of the game where he says some guy went inside to find treasure but the door closed on him.
That's Pate not Gilligan who I'm talking about.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I take my throne
SyDRSNb.jpg

(and scratch my head)

Minamu

Gilligan is on the roof, outside, basically. Quite near the bonfire behind a fog wall.

So that no bonfire run. What's the optimal route? I intend to go to the shrine, but I need a branch to get there. I'm currently hoping that one branch, the bought one, will carry over on its own.
Branches don't carry over to NG+ as it's classed as a key item.

The Gutter one is the quickest, you can be down and back in a couple of minutes. The two in Harvest Valley are also very quick to get and less dangerous imo if you're doing a no death run too. You wouldn't want to fuck up your run by a fall down the Pit!

chris121580

So I've beat this game twice, on PS3 I played as a Warrior and PC I played as a Sorcerer. I've come to one conclusion minus being completely in love with the game...Shrine of Amana is one of the most annoying and difficult levels I've ever had to play. I thought going through it as a Sorcerer the second time would make it easier and I was wrong because of how close you have to be to lock on. Toughest part of the game in my opinion.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
No Gillian for me then. Was I supposed to meet him before?
No, your first time is at Earthen Peak. He's near the bonfire on the ledge after you cross the platform with the Manikin Bowmen. You have to destroy the fence on the ledge near the outside of the fortress and you can carefully walk over to him.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
So I've beat this game twice, on PS3 I played as a Warrior and PC I played as a Sorcerer. I've come to one conclusion minus being completely in love with the game...Shrine of Amana is one of the most annoying and difficult levels I've ever had to play. I thought going through it as a Sorcerer the second time would make it easier and I was wrong because of how close you have to be to lock on. Toughest part of the game in my opinion.
I'm an expert at the area now after farming all the enemies in the shrine to extinction for their human effigies and twinkling titanite. There are definitely preferred paths to go versus where it looks like you SHOULD go. For example, don't go inside the second hut, go around so you can run right up to the sorceress and kill her before aggoring the Archdrake Guard.

Aiming sorcery from a distance with binoculars helps a lot, but a bow and poison arrows is the best for that area.

onionfrog

I'm really not looking forward to the shrine of Amana with my soul level 1 character! :/

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Aiming sorcery from a distance with binoculars helps a lot

This so hard, if you're a caster, learn to use the binoculars to aim. It's a clumsy mechanic (why wouldn't they just let you aim??) but it's essential for PvE.

Oh you mean Sif 2.0? I beat him on like my 2nd or 3rd try. People are bad at this game I think.

Yeah that status spell is a good idea. I thought of it after being poisoned once or twice. Had I died, I surely would have equipped it.
It's not hard if you have spells. First time, faith build. Killed little once with lightning spears.
Second time, pyromacy, run up to them and chaos storm.
Third time, pure melee. Died over and over.

This so hard, if you're a caster, learn to use the binoculars to aim. It's a clumsy mechanic (why wouldn't they just let you aim??) but it's essential for PvE.
The aim crosshair was in the network test wasn't it? Or at least in an early build. It felt spiteful that they took it out, but it does kind of feel odd and role-play breaking, although bows and crossbows don't have scopes or whatever either and they still get a crosshair, so!

You kind of get used to the aim of spells, it aims central on screen and in certain areas and brightness levels you can see a faint wide circle where the aim will be.

TnK

No, your first time is at Earthen Peak. He's near the bonfire on the ledge after you cross the platform with the Manikin Bowmen. You have to destroy the fence on the ledge near the outside of the fortress and you can carefully walk over to him.

It doesn't matter you can still meet him now.

Will go back later.

Are there any good flame shields like in Demon's Souls? Reached the fire boss, and when he flames up his sword, my shield does nothing to stop it.

Will go back later.

Are there any good flame shields like in Demon's Souls? Reached the fire boss, and when he flames up his sword, my shield does nothing to stop it.

Just keep dodging to the right whenever he swings anything, you won't ever get hit.

zkylon

zkylewd
i've been failing my hosts so hard

i'm a sad useless phantom

and ancient dragon is pretty annoying, that aoe thing is super weird and sometimes you just can't get away cos his tail's out of the arena

chris121580

Aiming sorcery from a distance with binoculars helps a lot, but a bow and poison arrows is the best for that area.

I feel dumb. I never realized you could use the binoculars to lock on to targets. I just wanted til I got close enough. Knowing that would've helped a lot haha

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I feel dumb. I never realized you could use the binoculars to lock on to targets. I just wanted til I got close enough. Knowing that would've helped a lot haha

You can't. What he means it the Binoculars let you center your camera with more accuracy so using magic works like an FPS gun without the crosshair.

chris121580

You can't. What he means it the Binoculars let you center your camera with more accuracy so using magic works like an FPS gun without the crosshair.

Oh gotcha. That sounds frustrating too haha although not as much as positioning your player hoping he'll hit the enemy and being way off

UrbanRats

i've been failing my hosts so hard

i'm a sad useless phantom

and ancient dragon is pretty annoying, that aoe thing is super weird and sometimes you just can't get away cos his tail's out of the arena

I don't get the point of beating the ancient dragon (which is why i gave up after a couple of tries) i read the strategies, and it's just a matter of cheating its AI into a pattern for a long ass time, it's not really a challenge, as it is mostly finding the lucky round.
Eh, i don't find anything even remotely enjoyable in that, but of course, to each their own.

An hard boss like
Dark Lurker
, seems like a more worthwhile challenge, to me. (haven't beat that either, so i'm not saying this out of butthurt or anything like that)

Booshka

Ancient Dragon co op is a hoot, I spent 2 hours just doing co op there one night. Only 1 successful summon out of 10. It's a boss that is best solo'd because in co op it becomes far less predictable and its HP goes sky high.

Really fun though, 3 players running around fighting a huge dragon reminds me of the fun times I had with Kalameet in Dark Souls 1, although Kalameet is a much more interesting boss fight and far more doable in co op than Ancient Dragon is.

His sweep swings always hits, you can't dodge. Does his flame extinguish after a while?

Naw, I literally just did him today, dodging right dodges everything (except that AOE burst thing obviously) he does, even the sweep attacks. The only times I got hit was when I couldn't dodge because I got greedy or didn't react fast enough or was stuck in an animation. Just make sure to dodge each swing.

And no the flame stays 4ever.

Awe man, I just realized I forgot the
light the bonfire
after that gutter boss, (I didn't see that tunnel in the proper save run with the musketeer chick, just saw it now when soloing with a backup save). Now I have to go back to that godforsaken place...

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't get the point of beating the ancient dragon (which is why i gave up after a couple of tries) i read the strategies, and it's just a matter of cheating its AI into a pattern for a long ass time, it's not really a challenge, as it is mostly finding the lucky round.
Eh, i don't find anything even remotely enjoyable in that, but of course, to each their own.

An hard boss like
Dark Lurker
, seems like a more worthwhile challenge, to me. (haven't beat that either, so i'm not saying this out of butthurt or anything like that)

yea i agree but i want to see what he drops.

also about
dark lurker
, i found him/her to not be so hard, but at least a more interesting fight that's for sure

ancient dragon's pretty lame cos he only has one dangerous attack but it's a 1 hit ko.

hmm dunno if i'm gonna beat him

also about
dark lurker
, i found him/her to not be so hard, but at least a more interesting fight that's for sure

ancient dragon's pretty lame cos he only has one dangerous attack but it's a 1 hit ko.

hmm dunno if i'm gonna beat him

I don't want to attempt the ancient dragon just because the walk up to the gate is a giant pain in the ass. Fuck all those drake keeper guys with infi-stamina.

zkylon

zkylewd
yea i think i just gave up

i wanna start ng+ and this is not much fun, sunbro'd until all my weapons broke and we couldn't even kill him once.

i'm sorry i've failed you all my dear hosts T_T

Don't get too excited. :p

It took me dozens of attempts to beat it, I didn't bother with asceticing the woods for the ring or anything like that. I did try a fire infused Gyrm shield - which was more trouble than it was worth because I didn't have the strength to one hand it, and in the end just went for it butt naked with the red tearstone ring.

You can follow all the guides and following the tail stuff, but it's still 50% luck, you can't follow the tail if he flies back and is too close to the edge.

Top Bottom