• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Newboi

Hey guys I joined the
Dark Covanent that the old man lets you join
. I've currently just hit Drangleic Castle. Should I go ahead and do the special portal, or wait until later? Is there any special I can get from doing it?

On another note, I love the look of the Faraam set, but the stats are atrocious! Is it worth upgrading?

UrbanRats

Honestly the Crystal Cave pissed me off more than Shrine of Amana. But that might have been because I was just tired of slowly walking the path and wasting arrows/prism stones only to fall to my death and start all over. Also Seath's bullshit (scripted death that you can't recover from until after a SUPER long slog back and the loss of all my souls was a kick in the balls) and also because I almost never die from falling in Amana now because I farmed it for so long, so I know where alll the safe places to walk are.

I hated Crystal Cave, but once you realized that all the invisible bridges were straight lines, it was easier to just skip past everything, running to the boss.
The fist time through tho.. those clams, those golems... fuck that place.

HoosTrax

Hey guys I joined the
. I've currently just hit Drangleic Castle. Should I go ahead and do the special portal, or wait until later? Is there any special I can get from doing it?

On another note, I love the look of the Faraam set, but the stats are atrocious! Is it worth upgrading?
Well it's got one of the highest poison and bleed resists, so there's that. Plus, brownie points for wearing the armor of the guy on the promo shots of the game :p

destx

Hey guys I joined the
. I've currently just hit Drangleic Castle. Should I go ahead and do the special portal, or wait until later? Is there any special I can get from doing it

You can do it at any time.
It's a set of dungeons and a boss, the more you progress the higher you get in the covenant, you get a new hex for each level iirc.
It's pretty tough so you may want to wait.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I hated Crystal Cave, but once you realized that all the invisible bridges were straight lines, it was easier to just skip past everything, running to the boss.
The fist time through tho.. those clams, those golems... fuck that place.
My favorite was beating Seath and then getting owned by several clams that had chased me right up to the fog gate. Then on the way back to recover my souls from beating Seath I fell.

:D

You can do it at any time.
It's a set of dungeons and a boss, the more you progress the higher you get in the covenant, you get a new hex for each level iirc.
It's pretty tough so you may want to wait.
There's also an armour set to be had and the abyss is the best place to farm ascetics. Easiest as a spell user though, faith builds just blast that whole place (and the boss) wide open.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
There's also an armour set to be had and the abyss is the best place to farm ascetics. Easiest as a spell user though, faith builds just blast that whole place (and the boss) wide open.

Lighting beats all, again?

and finished NG. Final boss actually took me a while to figure out the patterns and
keep Benhart alive....

Great ride. Have a few things to finish up in NG and then off to NG+. I'm thinking of rerolling a magic build to finish up the magic cheevos. Havn't decided yet, really loving the pure STR build.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
keep Benhart alive....

Co-op with another user with Magic. Lighting or normal magic will utterly destroy her since she doesn't move at all. So long as both of you are dealing fast damage, Benhart should stay alive easy-peasy.

Shrine of Amana on NG+ is no joke, they made the hardest section even worse. The middle section before the 3rd bonfire now has additional archdrake's and a healing sorceress. I had to cheese everything from afar, it was downright impossible going in as melee.

onionfrog

I'm having a hard time beating Freya SL1 solo.
It's not too bad if you can take out most of the spiders at the beginning of the fight.
Then you can just wait for the laser attack and then run to the other head and get some hits in. Rinse and repeat.

The small spiders were actually the worst part of the fight.

A mace +10 with resin makes quick work of the boss.
How you deal with the little spiders?
If you space a two handed mace strike just right you can kill 3 spiders in one hit. The remaining 2 spiders can be avoided as they wont be able to keep up as you circle around the boss repeatedly.

Also you should be able to avoid all the enemies in the run up to the boss once you have practiced it enough.

I used to really hate that fight but once I figured out to just continually bait the laser attack and then run to the other head it became easy.
^^This.

zkylon

zkylewd
is there a way to make durantemod a bit brighter?

i'm a bit overwhelmed with all this post.fx stuff

in general i'd like to see if there's a more conservative configuration to be made, it looks too effect-heavy for my taste

Soulhouf

I used to really hate that fight but once I figured out to just continually bait the laser attack and then run to the other head it became easy.

It's not too bad if you can take out most of the spiders at the beginning of the fight.
Then you can just wait for the laser attack and then run to the other head and get some hits in. Rinse and repeat.

The small spiders were actually the worst part of the fight.

A mace +10 with resin makes quick work of the boss.

If you space a two handed mace strike just right you can kill 3 spiders in one hit. The remaining 2 spiders can be avoided as they wont be able to keep up as you circle around the boss repeatedly.

Also you should be able to avoid all the enemies in the run up to the boss once you have practiced it enough.

The spiders are no problem. They always die in one hit.
My biggest issue is when it starts spitting that thing everywhere and stomping in random locations with its arms.

I can survive with more stamina and health but being SL1 is something else.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
is there a way to make durantemod a bit brighter?

i'm a bit overwhelmed with all this post.fx stuff

in general i'd like to see if there's a more conservative configuration to be made, it looks too effect-heavy for my taste

This. I'd like it to be slightly less dark (less contrast) and the bloom to be less eye-searing, but I'm a noob at this stuff.

onionfrog

The spiders are no problem. They always die in one hit.
My biggest issue is when it starts spitting that thing everywhere and stomping in random locations with its arms.

I can survive with more stamina and health but being SL1 is something else.
Hmm.
I usually:
1. bait the laser
2. run to the other end and get two hits in on the other face.
3. Immediately roll out of the way.
4. Position myself right in front of Freja at the right distance to trigger the laser.
5. Repeat.

And I was able to take a hit from its arms without dying in one hit. Although I was wearing +9 Alonne Knight Armor with +9 Manikin boots and some light gloves.

If you get hit with the sticky web attack you're pretty much dead though.

I just beat Freja at SL1 like this last night. Although it admittedly took quite a few attempts.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Don't need to move away, just stick beside it and the hitbox will automatically strafe you.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
This. I'd like it to be slightly less dark (less contrast) and the bloom to be less eye-searing, but I'm a noob at this stuff.

Go to the assets folder of GeDos, open up postfx (think its called that if I remember right) with notepad and you can tweak there. Durante does a great job explaining what everything does.

Also, try your monitor brightness setting to see if you can find a sweet spot--I think default Postfx settings are pretty perfect (just dark enough)

And you can disable (the psuedo) bloom and hdr there if you want since you probably are using his new HDR Bloom, which you can enable in the GeDos .ini file (and that you can tweak in Assets/Bloom)

Is summoning broken or is it just me? Been trying to duel, haven't been summoned, and every time I try to summon, it time's out. Also walked around Belfry, no invasions. Weird.

zkylon

zkylewd

yup, no man's warf turns into a very unfun dungeon and boring to even look at. i don't mind mods that make games darker but forcing the torch mechanic this way isn't very fun

also durantemod makes my video card make a lot of noise and that's getting annoying

Mistel

Banned
Is summoning broken or is it just me? Been trying to duel, haven't been summoned, and every time I try to summon, it time's out. Also walked around Belfry, no invasions. Weird.
I know you said that you tried to summon but are you sure you aren't in champions? If not what's your SM?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
yup, no man's warf turns into a very unfun dungeon and boring to even look at. i don't mind mods that make games darker but forcing the torch mechanic this way isn't very fun

also durantemod makes my video card make a lot of noise and that's getting annoying

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. Durante's sweetfx profile is pretty tame and doesn't go for the "forced torch mechanic" deep blacks that some of the ENB stuff I've seen does.

GorillaJu

I didn't even consider Shrine of Amana to be difficult on NG, it was just a serene little area that brings refreshing variety to the more typical dark and damp caves or keeps. I went through it in a few attempts with a 40 Dex/40 Fth build through a combination of 2h melee, sword & board, spells and bow/arrow.

If you're playing pure melee and refuse to use any magic or bows by the time you get to Shrine of Amana, then it's your own fault that it's giving you trouble. You will have plenty of stats by that point to get the requisite faith for Lightning Spear or whatever you choose.

Souls games don't have a difficulty setting/option. The difficulty is organically defined and is up to you to impose it yourself. Pure melee with absolutely no ranged is like putting the game on hard mode. Most fights I did go pure melee, like Velstadt, because I want to challenge myself to time my rolls correctly. In fact on probably 2/3 of the bosses I did without ever casting lightning spear. But Shrine of Amana seemed like it'd be daft to go through only using melee, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I know you said that you tried to summon but are you sure you aren't in champions? If not what's your SM?

Yes I haven't changed covenants in weeks. I'm at 10.2m SM. Steam went down for me around 45 minutes ago, and since it came back up, I haven't been able to summon/be summoned. Not sure what's going on.

Mistel

Banned
Yes I haven't changed covenants in weeks. I'm at 10.2m SM. Steam went down for me around 45 minutes ago, and since it came back up, I haven't been able to summon/be summoned. Not sure what's going on.
What playthrough are you on then? Maybe it's just a steam issue then if you were being summoned beforehand?

NG+. It was working up until steam went down. Then, it came up, and nothing worked. Not seeing anyone else complain about it, so might just be me.

Faraam set is actually one of my biggest disappointments with DS2, mainly because of its flagship status and how, to me, it conveys a tone completely incongruous with the Souls universe; a "dudebro" set, if you will.

The DS1 Elite Knight set has such a solemn and majestic beauty about it, which is all but lost in DS2, unfortunately. They went completely overboard the shine and saturation of it. The metal looks nigh black and the cloth as if it's fresh from 'Drangleic Drycleaners'. It looks like a costume now.

Creighton, Alva and Mad Warrior (helms withstanding) are the holy trinity of Fashion Souls (honourable mention to my homeboy Vengarl).

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Old iron king, twin dragon riders or the watchers those 3 should be the best places for you to summoned.

Alright, thanks.

I remember getting around 15 from Prowling Magus & Congregation in one sitting. That fight is over in a minute, rewards very few souls, and it's really unlikely that the host will get killed. But it's something you have to do on your first visit or your Soul Memory will be out of range.

Cool, I'll try that one too.

EasyMode

Is there any boss that's best for putting down my summon to get sunlight medals?

I remember getting around 15 from Prowling Magus & Congregation in one sitting. That fight is over in a minute, rewards very few souls, and it's really unlikely that the host will get killed. But it's something you have to do on your first visit or your Soul Memory will be out of range.

Faraam set is actually one of my biggest disappointments with DS2, mainly because of its flagship status and how, to me, it conveys a tone completely incongruous with the Souls universe; a "dudebro" set, if you will.

The DS1 Elite Knight set has such a solemn and majestic beauty about it, which is all but lost in DS2, unfortunately. They went completely overboard the shine and saturation of it. The metal looks nigh black and the cloth as if it's fresh from 'Drangleic Drycleaners'. It looks like a costume now.

Creighton, Alva and Mad Warrior (helms withstanding) are the holy trinity of Fashion Souls (honourable mention to my homeboy Vengarl).

I love all 3 of those sets and I'm currently rocking Mad Warrior, but you can't leave off Llewellyn which is my favorite. I also have a thing for Archdrake but stats make it useless.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, that doesn't sound right. Durante's sweetfx profile is pretty tame and doesn't go for the "forced torch mechanic" deep blacks that some of the ENB stuff I've seen does.

this is how it looks for me with durantemod
B577849EAF64E7BAAC7D5CCC99F30E183E16C1DA

i haven't fiddled with settings at all except lowering the quality on ao and aa

elfinke

Yeah, it's not dark at all on my setup. The Gutter was perfectly manageable without a torch, though I still wielded one anyway for much of it cos it's so damn pretty.

The complaints about Black Gulch and Amana make me a little sad. It's one thing to not like those areas (which is fine - they can be frustrating beyond belief at times), but entirely another to dismiss them as 'lazy' or 'bad' design.

On the one hand, many people praise the Souls' series for doing things other games do not, or doing it better than those games - hard mechanics, unforgiving punishment of errors and so on. But when - in an internally meta kind of way - Dark Souls 2 changes it up by removing difficult enemies and replaces it with difficult intrinsic level design (Black Gulch) or brutally tough enemy placement combined with level design (Amana), it is lambasted.

Black Gulch is easy as, if you don't rush. The main enemies (statues) don't move, don't parry and don't hit back. The direction they attack to can be seen (I mean, they attack the way they face) and obviously negated - so you just plan out your moves as you go along slowly, like Chess. The hand enemies that spring up out of the pools of oil are slow and die to fire in a heartbeat - even before they spawn. You even get two bonfires within 15 seconds of each other! Sure, the stagger the poison causes is infuriating and the statues that are lying on the ground are very cute, but I'll take a puzzle area like Black Gulch over another DPS area any day of the week. The Souls' series could use these changes of pace more often.

Amana for sure is deserving of some criticism. It's very cheeky, and perhaps even unfair, that those priests can target you from so fucking far away when your own target reticle struggles to lock on from much closer. But there are only a handful of them, and they can all be individually nailed with a bow and arrow from safety if you progress cautiously. If that means you've got to change up your dual-wielding or 2hder or sword-and-board, or even staff/charm pew-pew for 5 minutes while you progress, I think that's great.

At that stage of the game, you ought to have well upgraded equipment and a decent grasp on how your character works - you've got into a groove. Amana bumps you out of that groove.

To a lesser extent, The Gutter also does this by removing ambient light, asking you to perhaps give up your LH weapon in lieu of light. If anything it's too easy: I wish The Gutter had more menacing enemies ala Blighttown - or those horrendous large club enemies from 5-1 - to really make you question your need for light.

Mistel

Banned
The aged look suits the elite knight set I think. Especially the rust patches on the metal surfaces.

Top Bottom