• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
does anyone know how to reach this?

it's in
lost bastille, on the elevator after you get off the ship from no man's warf

Take the elevator to the top. After that, send it on its way down and step out of it. Then get on top of the elevator and you'll be able to get there.

^ Don't get too excited unless you like basic curved swords. :p

Faraam set is actually one of my biggest disappointments with DS2, mainly because of its flagship status and how, to me, it conveys a tone completely incongruous with the Souls universe; a "dudebro" set, if you will.

The DS1 Elite Knight set has such a solemn and majestic beauty about it, which is all but lost in DS2, unfortunately. They went completely overboard the shine and saturation of it. The metal looks nigh black and the cloth as if it's fresh from 'Drangleic Drycleaners'. It looks like a costume now.

Creighton, Alva and Mad Warrior (helms withstanding) are the holy trinity of Fashion Souls (honourable mention to my homeboy Vengarl).
Agree 100% about the Elite Knight set, it does look too saturated. I still haven't played around with a lot of the armour sets, I really take a dislike to the high heels and miniskirt one everybody loves (Desert sorceress?), it just looks too modern to me - also I've yet to make a female character this time around so it doesn't really work for me! :p

I usually go helm-less unless farming because a lot of them look terrible and don't fit on the character model head. I've defaulted to Benhart's armour on most of my characers because they've all been grizzled older guys and it seems to fit, but I've been using Cale's armour too on my latest with Targray's gloves, liking that. I blame the menu for my limited choices, in some ways the menu is way better, in others it's so much worse.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
this is how it looks for me with durantemod

i haven't fiddled with settings at all except lowering the quality on ao and aa

Hmm. I will say that using the new HDR Bloom definitely initially made everything much darker on the settings I had been using up to that point, so maybe that's the issue? For reference, I have an Asus monitor (the "Evo" model) and it was just a matter of going from the Standard pre-set to Scenery mode to get that good balance of visibility and darkness back.
Still, try and dive into the post settings to see what you can tweak.

zkylon

zkylewd
my favorite is the lewellyn set for sure, faraam isn't bad but it's too bulky and and i stopped using alva set because everyone was using it :p

i really like the throne watcher set too, makes my char look like a proper queen

Hmm. I will say that using the new HDR Bloom definitely initially made everything much darker on the settings I had been using up to that point, so maybe that's the issue? For reference, I have an Asus monitor (the "Evo" model) and it was just a matter of going from the Standard pre-set to Scenery mode to get that good balance of visibility and darkness back.
Still, try and dive into the post settings to see what you can tweak.
maybe that's it, i'm mostly using durantemod just so i can have the YOU DEFEATED message. like it looks pretty and everything but sometimes i feel like it hurts my eyes and contrast and saturation are too much for me and shininess of particles and crap is nice to see once or twice but now it's blinding me and giving me headaches.

to be fair i'm not a big fan of saturated palettes so might just be me but i never seem to like sweetfx/enb mods

Mistel

Banned
I really take a dislike to the high heels and miniskirt one everybody loves (Desert sorceress?), it just looks too modern to me - also I've yet to make a female character this time around so it doesn't really work for me! :p
Black which is the mini dress and heels. Deseret sorceress is the skirt with stockings.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Who wears it better?

darksoulsii_2014_05_19_12_50_54_32_by_aloo81-d7j4mtj.jpg

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I noticed that i do remarkably better in pvp if i have a couple different weapons to switch to on the fly. Especially if i get a few good hits in then go from single to dual katana, it really seems to mess with peoples rhythm. I tried throwing in dual rapiers/caestus as well and man people really do dumb things if you force them to deal with more than one tactic.

elfinke

I noticed that i do remarkably better in pvp if i have a couple different weapons to switch to on the fly. Especially if i get a few good hits in then go from single to dual katana, it really seems to mess with peoples rhythm. I tried throwing in dual rapiers/caestus as well and man people really do dumb things if you force them to deal with more than one tactic.

Yep, you can really muck things up for invaders or enemies in PvP this way. People are quick to pigeon-hole you when they see a Black Witch's Staff and Avelyn, or Washing Pole and Scimitar, or Santier's Spear. Being able to adapt in or out of those sets can be a massive advantage.

Amana for sure is deserving of some criticism. It's very cheeky, and perhaps even unfair, that those priests can target you from so fucking far away when your own target reticle struggles to lock on from much closer. But there are only a handful of them, and they can all be individually nailed with a bow and arrow from safety if you progress cautiously. If that means you've got to change up your dual-wielding or 2hder or sword-and-board, or even staff/charm pew-pew for 5 minutes while you progress, I think that's great.

At that stage of the game, you ought to have well upgraded equipment and a decent grasp on how your character works - you've got into a groove. Amana bumps you out of that groove.

Nope. It's a mess of unfair mechanics (slowed movement, enemies with homing attacks who can lock onto you from a mile away) that forces you to roll endlessly and has nothing interesting going on whatsoever. No verticality, shortcuts, or anything. Roll through magic, don't get killed by the stupid archdrake guys. It's not about a groove or being "unorthodox", it's about just slamming together two obnoxious elements, and the result is a slow, tedious area with a single, indisputably correct correct answer (use bow).

What makes good level design imo is being able to tackle it a variety of ways. If Amana boils down to "bring a bow, lol" then that's not really great level design.

Who wears it better?

darksoulsii_2014_05_19_12_50_54_32_by_aloo81-d7j4mtj.jpg

The lady, because she doesn't have monster-huge feet.

Nope. It's a mess of unfair mechanics (slowed movement, enemies with homing attacks who can lock onto you from a mile away) that forces you to roll endlessly and has nothing interesting going on whatsoever. No verticality, shortcuts, or anything. Roll through magic, don't get killed by the stupid archdrake guys. It's not about a groove or being "unorthodox", it's about just slamming together two obnoxious elements, and the result is a slow, tedious area with a single, indisputably correct correct answer (use bow).

Let's be honest here, use bow is the tedious, indisputably correct answer to almost any encounter in Dark Souls 2.

Once you understand the Shrine of Amana's layout and enemy placement/behaviour, there is very little that can realistically stop you. There are a multitude of ways to approach the area - in the end, it is no more unfair than Iron Keep's bastard archers and fire, the Gutter's drops, or the Covenant-specific invasion areas.

If you don't want to roll, use a magic-resistant shield. If you find it tedious, shake your tactics up. If you find it impossible, attempt it until the enemies despawn or try summoning an ally. If you're tired of hiding, turtling or whatnot, try powerstancing/two-handing your weapon and charge them - rambo style - dodging their blows and striking them down like a boss. Or simply walk away and try a different area for a while, who knows? You may find an item that will turn the tide of battle.

Remember, the old women told you this would happen: you would lose your souls, over and over again. This is Dark Souls - loss, difficulty, and despair are a part of the game. It is time to accept this.

Had my first hacker today. Fuck that. He had the nuts to give me the 'no way' gesture as well.

I'm sitting at 2.3mil SM at the end of NG. Too much to be summoned? Put down the sign at the end game and didn't get any bites.

onionfrog

And that why is an SL1 run in DS2 sounds horrible to me.
It was pretty annoying against the old iron king too. But I managed to beat him.

Atleast in a soul level one run you have nothing to lose. Just lost tons of souls? Who cares, don't need them!

The rotten's wide horizontal swing is really becoming a problem.. :(

elfinke

Nope. It's a mess of unfair mechanics (slowed movement, enemies with homing attacks who can lock onto you from a mile away) that forces you to roll endlessly and has nothing interesting going on whatsoever. No verticality, shortcuts, or anything.

It's hardly a mess. Emotive language does your argument no favours. I spoke to the distant lock on mechanic already. That alone doesn't break the area. Verticality doesn't make an area interesting. There is no intrinsic value to vericaility (see any complaint about Souls' platforming). Further, there is no "area is vertical = area is interesting" matrix.

Like many DS2 areas, Amana is pretty damn short and already has bonfires galore, it wouldn't benefit from a shortcut (unless you count using a bow as a shortcut, ha!) So I don't agree with those complaints.

Roll through magic, don't get killed by the stupid archdrake guys.

Soooo, like 99% of all Souls' series encounters? :p

It's not about a groove or being "unorthodox", it's about just slamming together two obnoxious elements, and the result is a slow, tedious area with a single, indisputably correct correct answer (use bow).

I disagree with your conclusion (see LurkerPrime's excellent response). Upon replaying Amana, I came to really enjoy the forced change of pace that you feel is the result of obnoxious design (important to point out that being obnoxious is not the same as being bad, though the former can certainly beget the latter). Nor do I disagree that good bow use can render Amana harmless. Merely, I think that neither of those things make Amana 'bad' design.
and still teeth gnashingly frustrating, perhaps!

HoosTrax

Faraam set is actually one of my biggest disappointments with DS2, mainly because of its flagship status and how, to me, it conveys a tone completely incongruous with the Souls universe; a "dudebro" set, if you will.

The DS1 Elite Knight set has such a solemn and majestic beauty about it, which is all but lost in DS2, unfortunately. They went completely overboard the shine and saturation of it. The metal looks nigh black and the cloth as if it's fresh from 'Drangleic Drycleaners'. It looks like a costume now.

Creighton, Alva and Mad Warrior (helms withstanding) are the holy trinity of Fashion Souls (honourable mention to my homeboy Vengarl).
Funny you should mention that, because I've been wondering myself if Alva was originally meant to be the "flagship" armor set of DS2. It's the armor set featured on the gestures menu, and it's got that somewhat ragged worn-out knight look to it, similar to Elite Knight.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Yep, you can really muck things up for invaders or enemies in PvP this way. People are quick to pigeon-hole you when they see a Black Witch's Staff and Avelyn, or Washing Pole and Scimitar, or Santier's Spear. Being able to adapt in or out of those sets can be a massive advantage.

The only weapon i use that is frowned upon is the avelyn simply because i have no other way to get decent ranged damage (unless someone would like to stand still while i shoot 20 dark orbs at them). The thing that happens that always confuses me is when i go from single to dual wielding and then go to the avelyn, dudes just rush me completely forgetting the fact that i still have a katana in my left hand. Which makes it extra comedic when they roll back after getting hit and get shot with the avelyn which they rushed in the first place. I think im getting the hang of how to dex right.

maomaoIYP

I invaded someone yesterday who upon seeing me, did the prostration emote and then proceeded to turn him back towards me. A few of my affinity orbs smacked him and yet he made no effort to move.

I felt so bad about having to kill someone who has already given up I did the prostration emote and then crystal-ed out.

goonie

I invaded someone yesterday who upon seeing me, did the prostration emote and then proceeded to turn him back towards me. A few of my affinity orbs smacked him and yet he made no effort to move.

I felt so bad about having to kill someone who has already given up I did the prostration emote and then crystal-ed out.
Hahaha, I did something similar. Invaded in Aldia's Keep, and the guy was hiding by the bonfire. I made the "I Don't Bite" emote a couple times, and he replied with "Have Mercy!" I bowed and black crystaled.

Amakusa

Been playing around with advance settings, made The Joker

1GMGZhc.jpg

I played a good 90 hours with him, ended up deleting him. I will remake him perfect this time, the mistake I made with this one... the blush was to deep.

maomaoIYP

Hahaha, I did something similar. Invaded in Aldia's Keep, and the guy was hiding by the bonfire. I made the "I Don't Bite" emote a couple times, and he replied with "Have Mercy!" I bowed and black crystaled.

I've also run into players who will run in circles around the map until the time expires. Someone was running in circles last night at the Aldia's Keep dragon bone room. Just up and down the stairs in a circle. I could never catch him. You can also do the same in the Aerie, to and fro the two ziplines until the time expires.

So I just got the Kings Ring and I'm wondering if my game glitched.

The old King, or what I assume is the old King, is just pacing around the zone and I am unable to do any damage to him. Usually something opens up and you get a primal bondfire, but nothing happened after I talked to m'lady.

Did the game go bork or do I just homeward bone out of there?

So I just got the Kings Ring and I'm wondering if my game glitched.

The old King, or what I assume is the old King, is just pacing around the zone and I am unable to do any damage to him. Usually something opens up and you get a primal bondfire, but nothing happened after I talked to m'lady.

Did the game go bork or do I just homeward bone out of there?

You just leave. It won't display how much damage you're doing until you've done enough to aggro him, and I wouldn't recommend doing that either.'

I was beating up some Manikin soldiers with a Caestus on each hand and power stance, and did a Guard Break on one of them. I kept attacking and my character did some kind of riposte animation. What happened?

Just finished up NG+, that went by really fast. Did it in probably a quarter of the time of NG. All I need to do now is get to Wellager in NG++ and I can finish off the platinum.

Does the Shrine of Winter glitch still work? teh heh...

Booshka

My attacks! They do nothing!

Well, I guess I'll just leave him be. Seems to not give a shit about anything anymore.

Although it's really odd that they have been pumping up this whole thing, and then it turns out the big baddie is just a hollow mess. I kinda like it.

Stop killing Vendrick Lamar's vibe.

GorillaJu

My attacks! They do nothing!

Well, I guess I'll just leave him be. Seems to not give a shit about anything anymore.

Although it's really odd that they have been pumping up this whole thing, and then it turns out the big baddie is just a hollow mess. I kinda like it.

He's completely hollow. Hollowed people generally carry out their tasks, like Velstadt, who protects the king's chamber, and more importantly his ring. The king has completed his task though, or at least he's done his best. It's up to you to finish the job. :)

zkylon

zkylewd
and lost sinner done in ng+

tried to do the gargoyles but tbh they're just not worth the hassle right now

i might try it again in offline mode or something

TnK

So apparently there is an area called crystal cave? Where is that? Currently at the castle and I assume it to be the final area in the game. Are there optional areas and bosses in this game?

zkylon

zkylewd
If you've done sinner why do the gargoyles?

well i want to kill all the bosses :3

also first time i beat them with a summon cos i was tired of getting invaded all the time, so maybe now i can do them solo

also i'm really enjoying the defender sword. it's basically an upgraded version of my lighting bastard sword and it looks really cool

Anyone know what the purpose of the worn out area is on the backside of the obelisk with the Death Counter? It just says that it is faded... Is there a lore behind this?

zkylon

zkylewd
btw, i'm basically running around with like 220k souls at all times, specially since i've found the pure bliss that is that cheat-death ring and i'm at sl150

should i keep leveling? i don't plan on doing much pvp but i want to be able to get invaded and summoned and summon people and all that

i also don't want to one shot everything

Anyone know what the purpose of the worn out area is on the backside of the obelisk with the Death Counter? It just says that it is faded... Is there a lore behind this?
apparently portuguese version of the game has actual text for that. something about giants crossing a sea or something like that, nothing too crazy, but cool nonetheless.

UrbanRats

well i want to kill all the bosses :3

also first time i beat them with a summon cos i was tired of getting invaded all the time, so maybe now i can do them solo

also i'm really enjoying the defender sword. it's basically an upgraded version of my lighting bastard sword and it looks really cool

On NG i beat them solo on my first try, but i have no idea how.
All i remember is that at some point i was back to the wall, with 2% energy and like 3 of them ganging on me.
I started rolling in a zen state, out of body experience of sorts and, somehow, i managed to escape them, heal, and fuck them over.

Now i'm worried about doing them again in NG+, tbh.

aravuus

This is a weird question, but was there a way to make armor invisible?

My fistfighter is a massive glass cannon, everything kills me in a hit or two, but I still want to look like I'm naked and hilarious

zkylon

zkylewd
Fair enough I do the gargoyles before sinner for the key to light up the room.

yea i considered that since i didn't light up the room on ng either (even tho i had killed the gargoyles but i guess it's too late now :p

On NG i beat them solo on my first try, but i have no idea how.
All i remember is that at some point i was back to the wall, with 2% energy and like 3 of them ganging on me.
I started rolling in a zen state, out of body experience of sorts and, somehow, i managed to escape them, heal, and fuck them over.

Now i'm worried about doing them again in NG+, tbh.
yeah i don't like that fight one bit, reminds me of four kings which is my least favorite out of dark souls 1.

i just can't handle like time-pressure boss fights, i get it that's kind of the point but my brain has been trained to be patient and not take risks and whenever i do it usually goes bad

i'm probably pretty wrongfully set in my ways in the souls series. i always go for dex fast roll builds and i never learned to parry and playing any other way is just weird now.

This is a weird question, but was there a way to make armor invisible?

My fistfighter is a massive glass cannon, everything kills me in a hit or two, but I still want to look like I'm naked and hilarious
there's one set of armor that's sort of invisible

you can get it from
maughlin if you have 0 souls and have spent a lot on him

Riposte

Dragon breath seems shitty.

Oh well. Got Dragon covenant done super quick even if the rewards are lacking. The PVP was fun.

Whoa whoa whoa, that cat in the town is like a fucking lore machine.

So when I first started the game I was under the impression it was a prequel due to the early speculation about fire magic being in the game, something which didn't exist in Dark Souls.

It wasn't soon after I started the game I figured out it takes place after Dark Souls, which raises a lot of questions about the abyss and all that junk
(Which was spoiled that it's in the game from someone, which kinda pisses me off, but oh well.)

So this cat thing, she mentions that the Lost Sinner was an old fool who tried to rekindle the first flame. Now I know that's not Gwyn, because he's dead, but could it be our player from the first game?

btw, i'm basically running around with like 220k souls at all times, specially since i've found the pure bliss that is that cheat-death ring and i'm at sl150

should i keep leveling? i don't plan on doing much pvp but i want to be able to get invaded and summoned and summon people and all that

i also don't want to one shot everything

apparently portuguese version of the game has actual text for that. something about giants crossing a sea or something like that, nothing too crazy, but cool nonetheless.

Giants confirmed to be Portuguese

Top Bottom