• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Taruranto

btw, i'm basically running around with like 220k souls at all times, specially since i've found the pure bliss that is that cheat-death ring and i'm at sl150

should i keep leveling? i don't plan on doing much pvp but i want to be able to get invaded and summoned and summon people and all that

Level doesn't matter at all when it comes to summoning, so go on if you like.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Whoa whoa whoa, that cat in the town is like a fucking lore machine.

So when I first started the game I was under the impression it was a prequel due to the early speculation about fire magic being in the game, something which didn't exist in Dark Souls.

It wasn't soon after I started the game I figured out it takes place after Dark Souls, which raises a lot of questions about the abyss and all that junk
(Which was spoiled that it's in the game from someone, which kinda pisses me off, but oh well.)

So this cat thing, she mentions that the Lost Sinner was an old fool who tried to rekindle the first flame. Now I know that's not Gwyn, because he's dead, but could it be our player from the first game?
Maybe =3 (but I don't personally think so).

Keep playing and you'll find more evidence. Keep talking to the cat and pay attention to item descriptions, especially for keys and old souls. And sublime bone dust...

80 hours played, and I'm enjoying this game so much. Still haven't completed my first playthrough (although I have about 10 hours on other characters as well). Just like with DS1, I don't have the desire to play anything else. Although I can tell I'm nearing the end, I love how it feels like there's so much in the game that I haven't found or experienced yet.

I was worried before playing the game because of the number of complaints I heard about it from Souls veterans. And while I can understand most of those complaints (and agree with some of them), I'm still absolutely loving this game.

Maybe =3 (but I don't personally think so).

Keep playing and you'll find more evidence. Keep talking to the cat and pay attention to item descriptions, especially for keys and old souls. And sublime bone dust...

They say these are the remains of a saint who cast himself into the bonfire. But we will never know for sure, for soot and ashes tell no story.

Jesus, how could I be so blind. Can't believe I didn't read it first, that kinda settles it.

Is that for an actual lack of summons, or because you don't want to fight Havelyns?

I'm at about 16m SM and my Iron Keep PvP activity was off the chain last night.

Well, if your game not only breaks the concept of having builds, but actively encourages it when it comes to PvP you're doing something wrong.

While there wasn't a system for this in Dark Souls, the game at least allowed for a meta-game to be created for players who wanted to do PvP and create builds around a specified level.

I'm getting plenty of action at 2 million SM, but I know what's coming down the pipe when I start hitting high SM.

It's why when I hit 150, which is what I read is like the perfect SL for PvP, I'm going to stop leveling and wait and see if a patch comes down the road.

zkylon

zkylewd
Whoa whoa whoa, that cat in the town is like a fucking lore machine.

you should prolly spoiler tag this shit

now about lost sinner theory #1 is that it's
the witch of izalith. if you read her soul it explicitly says it's a she and we know the witch of izalith tried to do all dem crazy first flame shit that ended up blowing up all lost izalith and turning her into a monster bug thingie so you know, that's the theory i heard most. could be one of her daughters too. it gets a bit more obvious i guess in ng+ since i just killed her and she dropped an "old witch soul"

cat lady is awesome btw

Giants confirmed to be Portuguese
it just confirms what we already knew: that the whole game is just a way to subliminally transmit from's weird anti-portuguese racist propaganda to the players

Level doesn't matter at all when it comes to summoning, so go on if you like.
hmm ok, i feel kinda dirty tho :p

it's just that i don't know what to spend my souls on T_T

you should prolly spoiler tag this shit

the witch of izalith. if you read her soul it explicitly says it's a she and we know the witch of izalith tried to do all dem crazy first flame shit that ended up blowing up all lost izalith and turning her into a monster bug thingie so you know, that's the theory i heard most. could be one of her daughters too.

NG+ Spoiler

So that explains why the old witch soul drops in NG+ (Something else that was spoiled for me)
Although that raises some questions. What the fuck was the bug thing? I was under the impression that was the Witch of Izalith, due to the form of the bed being that of a woman in the center.

Interesting, it seems that Dark Souls lore is more tied into this game than I thought they would do. I can't wait to read dem souls and item descriptions.

Mistel

Banned
NG+ Spoiler

So that explains why the old witch soul drops in NG+ (Something else that was spoiled for me)
Although that raises some questions. What the fuck was the bug thing? I was under the impression that was the Witch of Izalith, due to the form of the bed being that of a woman in the center.

Interesting, it seems that Dark Souls lore is more tied into this game than I thought they would do. I can't wait to read dem souls and item descriptions.
It looks like a chaos bug.

zkylon

zkylewd
NG+ Spoiler

well can't quite say
but it looks like something out of izalith. could be one of those bugs that eats solaire or the witch herself having turned small with time and using the lost sinner as a host of some kind. although the soul treats the sinner as a she so maybe it's just something really weird? wouldn't be the first time a souls game doesn't exactly work in an easily explainable way :p

It looks like a chaos bug.

I mean the actual Bed of Chaos.

bed-of-chaos-large.jpg

Center looks like a person bending forward, which I thought was the Witch of Izalith after she did her stupid shit.

zkylon

zkylewd
i dunno it didn't look like the witch bug thingie was resting

i'd say it was kind of a womb, maybe?

well i guess that makes some kind of sense as a bed

Booshka

Have people actually run into issues with soul memory yet?

I think Soulhouf reported playing a SL 838 dude in the arena because he was max tier SM even though he was SL 150.
I've played on a couple different characters with 12+ million Soul Memory, one was SL 150 on 360 and the other was 135 on PC. It's a disaster area up there, overleveled Arbiter spirits invading you nonstop, arena full of Havelyns, Syan Halberd Dark Reso Weapon, Sacred Oath Mundane builds, just a disaster area all around.

The things I've seen man...

maomaoIYP

Wut.

Do we have some mathz on how many souls it would take to hit 800+ SL?

Cause that seems... nearly impossible for a game that came out only two months ago.

There was a character planner posted a few pages back that would tell you how much you'd need. There was a period of hacking on the ps3 a while back, but I guarantee you it's not impossible. I have a character that has 51 million, and it's only one out of ten characters played.

the witch of izalith. if you read her soul it explicitly says it's a she and we know the witch of izalith tried to do all dem crazy first flame shit that ended up blowing up all lost izalith and turning her into a monster bug thingie so you know, that's the theory i heard most. could be one of her daughters too. it gets a bit more obvious i guess in ng+ since i just killed her and she dropped an "old witch soul"
It is
either the witch of izalith herself or another random person that found the primordial soul of life, which should have inherited the sin of the witch of izalith in the attempt of creating the first flame
, in fact (NG+ spoiler)
the other 3 primordial souls are all found in NG+ on beings that certainly are not the original bearers of DkS1, but successive creatures in subsequent ages in Lordran/Drangleic who found those souls and used their power

I've played on a couple different characters with 12+ million Soul Memory, one was SL 150 on 360 and the other was 135 on PC. It's a disaster area up there, overleveled Arbiter spirits invading you nonstop, arena full of Havelyns, Syan Halberd Dark Reso Weapon, Sacred Oath Mundane builds, just a disaster area all around.

old-man-crying.gif

My fucking Souls PvP.

What the fuck have you done From.

zkylon

zkylewd
It is
either the witch of izalith herself or another random person that found the primordial soul of life, which should have inherited the sin of the witch of izalith in the attempt of creating the first flame
, in fact (NG+ spoiler)
the other 3 primordial souls are all found in NG+ on beings that certainly are not the original bearers of DkS1, but successive creatures in subsequent ages in Lordran/Drangleic who found those souls and used their power

dark souls 2 goes a bit too bio infinite for my taste but some of this stuff is pretty cool

It is
, in fact (NG+ spoiler)

But how did they get the primordial souls? We kinda burned them in the Lordvessel, didn't we?

They are saying it's been eons in the item description(NEED TO STOP SPOILING SHIT TILL I FINISH THE GAME UHHHHG), how long has it been from Dark Souls??

dark souls 2 goes a bit too bio infinite for my taste but some of this stuff is pretty cool

But how did they get the primordial souls? We kinda burned them in the Lordvessel, didn't we?

They are saying it's been eons in the item description(NEED TO STOP SPOILING SHIT TILL I FINISH THE GAME UHHHHG), how long has it been from Dark Souls??

No bio infinite at all, (MASSIVE global interpretation spoiler)
I guess very few understand the general vision of DkS1&2: Lordran/Drangleic is a place that constantly dies and arises again, with different names, different people and different stories, and at the center of it all is the curse, that is, the fact that all the living beings have their living force in the primordial souls (humans in particular are born from the Dark Soul) and those souls gradually fade away, making the world enter in a age of dark, where all the beings are hollow and there's no life; but then, from the dark, the flames ignite again and the cycle starts over; the throne of want, that is, the throne of "need", represents the need of the living beings to stay alive and not go hollow, and in the passage from DkS1 to DkS2 you don't have anymore those selfish "gods" that just want to extend their life by making a powerful undead burn itself in the first flame, but just and kingdom and actual people that don't want to end up hollow and search for a king that will sacrifice itself to keep them alive
. Of course
DkS2 story is more complex than that, much more complex than the relatively straightforward (in retrospect) story of DkS1, - for example, Vendrick tried to undo the curse in some way - but the point is that every living being will eventually be subjected to the curse and will become hollow, and either a powerful being sacrifices itself to temporally reverse that degradation, or another age of dark begins (the "dark" ending of DkS1) until the flames arise again, and in this cycle the ashes of powerful heroes who sacrificed themselves remain the land, to be found in DkS2 (Sublime Bone Dust).

Booshka

Yeah, it's awful. I have a SL150 15+ million SM character who I've had to put aside due to the hilariously unbalanced match-ups in PVP.

Pretty much, if you plan on playing a SL 150 or lower build, enjoy yourself for about 100 hours or so, then leave that character and start over. Unfortunately, I have no real desire to make new builds or play the PvE of DkS2, so I just stopped playing it overall.

Lucario

Ahahahaha oh my fucking god. There's a recently discovered glitch with the binoculars, and it's basically a temporary speed hack.

People are doing it in PVP already, I'm not even mad, it's too funny.

if you zoom in with the binoculars, then mash parry and roll at the same time (canceling the parry into the roll), then unzoom once your roll is done, you start running at super speed.

Booshka

Why would you restrict yourself to SL150? Why not just keep leveling up?

Restricting your Soul Level means you have to make sacrifices and focus your build to do one or two things really well. This way there is more build diversity and PvP is more fair and fun overall. Also, extremely high level PvP is usually more of a chore than it is fun, people have so much HP and defenses, and can do just about everything, so there is less interesting encounters.

Some people like just leveling up and PvPing with sky high Soul Levels, but the very fact that there are severe diminishing returns in the Souls series, makes it seem as if the games were built for PvP at restricted Soul Levels around 100-150.

Although Dark Souls 2 isn't as much like the past games in this regard, because of how insane defenses scale up as you continue to level, and the Mundane infusion is tailor made for high level, do everything builds.

Why would you restrict yourself to SL150? Why not just keep leveling up?

Because then your character turns into a blob of stats and some people don't find it very fun to run around with max health, max stamina, max strength, max agi, max faith...

What makes PvP fun are the different builds you get to play around with and see other people face you with. That is gone when everyone is maxed out with no need of specialization.

Back in Dark Souls SL 120 was the agreed PvP soul level, and with the new stats it was boosted to 150 in order to get similar results.

This is why the Soul Memory system is the dumbest piece of shit ever thought of, it breaks PvP and completely prevents any type of meta gaming for the PvP.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

Because then your character turns into a blob of stats and some people don't find it very fun to run around with max health, max stamina, max strength, max agi, max faith...

What makes PvP fun are the different builds you get to play around with and see other people face you with. That is gone when everyone is maxed out with no need of specialization.

Back in Dark Souls SL 120 was the agreed PvP soul level, and with the new stats it was boosted to 150 in order to get similar results.

This is why the Soul Memory system is the dumbest piece of shit ever thought of, it breaks PvP and completely prevents any type of meta gaming for the PvP.

So I guess that's true, you play too much of Dark Souls 2 to gather too many souls and you become a mutated being..aka..the below*

Has anyone posted this yet? lol
tumblr_n5rv0ti7Vq1rg3vrmo1_400.jpg

So I guess that's true, you play too much of Dark Souls 2 to gather too many souls and you become a mutated being..aka..the below*

It's so ridiculously easy to fix this too.

Hey From, are you listening? I have a fool proof way to keep your Soul Memory system, that was designed to prevents twinks, but keep PvP players from dealing with your shit system that encourages havel wizards.

NG = Soul Memory.

NG+ = Soul Level.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Or introduce a ring into the game, which eats away all your souls (instead of you gaining it) and gives you more dark protection the more souls it eats.

Edit: But the ring should only work in NG+

It's so ridiculously easy to fix this too.

Hey From, are you listening? I have a fool proof way to keep your Soul Memory system, that was designed to prevents twinks, but keep PvP players from dealing with your shit system that encourages havel wizards.

NG = Soul Memory.

NG+ = Soul Level.

PROBLEM SOLVED.
100% agree

I'm itching to see what the next patch or two brings. Namco recently mentioned SM specifically as one of the things they took feedback on, so I assume that makes it's way back to From. Fingers crossed.

I realise most people are happy to level up to infinity and the game then becomes solely about pvp and the popular builds, but SM breaks not just pvp for me, but also co-op. In DS1 I would keep say a character at around say SL25-30 and I'd do co-op all over the first half of the game because I enjoy it, and do as few bosses as possible so I could still be invaded. SM completely ruins that since I quickly become out of co-op range just by doing co-op! But I still can get invaded, and the more co-op I do, the stronger my opponents get, but I stay exactly the same! From, what did you do, lol! I want my Sen's Fortress SL30 co-op/invasion bait back!

Was thinking yesterday too about other things that need patching, things will get nerfed and fixed that are part of the homogeneous pvp crowds armoury. What about that no backstab ring breaking after the first hit? Sounds good to me. :)

I'm itching to see what the next patch or two brings. Namco recently mentioned SM specifically as one of the things they took feedback on, so I assume that makes it's way back to From. Fingers crossed.

I realise most people are happy to level up to infinity and the game then becomes solely about pvp and the popular builds, but SM breaks not just pvp for me, but also co-op. In DS1 I would keep say a character at around say SL25-30 and I'd do co-op all over the first half of the game because I enjoy it, and do as few bosses as possible so I could still be invaded. SM completely ruins that since I quickly become out of co-op range just by doing co-op! But I still can get invaded, and the more co-op I do, the stronger my opponents get, but I stay exactly the same! From, what did you do, lol! I want my Sen's Fortress SL30 co-op/invasion bait back!

Was thinking yesterday too about other things that need patching, things will get nerfed and fixed that are part of the homogeneous pvp crowds armoury. What about that no backstab ring breaking after the first hit? Sounds good to me. :)

Speaking of nerfs, what are the chances of the halberd getting nerfed? Cause I'm using one and I'm absolutely wrecking people with it, and I don't know if I'm just being cheap or if it's a fare weapon.

Mistel

Banned
Was thinking yesterday too about other things that need patching, things will get nerfed and fixed that are part of the homogenous pvp crowds armoury. What about that no backstab ring breaking after the first hit? Sounds good to me. :)
Monastery scimitar is probably one of the things that will be nerfed.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Farming Titanite Chunks, I killed some guy in the Belfry Sol with my Caestus/Faith Build. I promptly received a message from them saying "You just made me lose 100K, you piece of shit" and "you should throw yourself in a fire".

Feels good.

Mistel

Banned
Farming Titanite Chunks, I killed some guy in the Belfry Sol with my Caestus/Faith Build. I promptly received a message from them saying "You just made me lose 100K, you piece of shit" and "you should throw yourself in a fire".

Feels good.
Going out of range of me yet what's your SM?

Top Bottom