• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mr Git

Guys, which is the best place to find twinkling titanites? In NG+ can they be bought somewhere? I'd like to upgrade a lot of stuff but I have very few of them...

Clear the Dragon Aerie and then use an ascetic.. several times. I did that at the end of my first playthrough, easy way to get lots of upgrade materials.

If you use an ascetic in a zone, does that carry over to the next game? That is, if I use one to respawn extinct enemies and bosses in NG to NG+ level, when I return in NG+ will that area be NG++?

GulAtiCa

I've been using all the ascetics I have on me on places like Iron Keep and others to up the difficulty level and troll invaders by turning the enemies onto invaders. hehe

Now if I only had more Seeds of a Giants..

Mr Git

If you use an ascetic in a zone, does that carry over to the next game? That is, if I use one to respawn extinct enemies and bosses in NG to NG+ level, when I return in NG+ will that area be NG++?

Yes, so in lots of areas there's some caution to using an ascetic. In an area like Dragon Aerie there's only a handful of enemies so the reward - ridiculous danger ratio isn't too shabby.

Yes, so in lots of areas there's some caution to using an ascetic. In an area like Dragon Aerie there's only a handful of enemies so the reward - ridiculous danger ratio isn't too shabby.

That would make sense, there's just acid zombies and dragons (that don't respawn) outside of the numerous crystal lizards as far as I know.

tehPete

Banned
I've been using all the ascetics I have on me on places like Iron Keep and others to up the difficulty level and troll invaders by turning the enemies onto invaders. hehe

Now if I only had more Seeds of a Giants..

You evil bastard!
I'd been planning on doing this too, in the Belfries - NG++ BP's should give most invaders a run for their money ^.^

zma1013

If you use a giant seed, will the enemies still come after you or does it just reverse the roles and make them all fight the invader?

I could also use some recommendations for a good armor set. First playthrough, currently at aldia's keep, 115 SL. I have been pooring titanite into my Alva set, which I love the looks of and it is just a great all around set thats very lightweight for its stats. Reinforced to +7 for each piece.

Anything offer similar weight but higher stats/scaling after upgrades? My adaptability is around 16, and I would prefer now to be loaded over 70% obviously.

page bump.

page bump.

Since poise is currently negligible and defense rating has never been particularly useful you're better off dressing your guy in whatever way you think looks coolest. Barring that, you can't beat running around completely nude for the low encumbrance.

If you like the looks of Alva's set and have already invested titanite in it I suggest you stick with that.

Fuck the
mist area
of the Shaded Woods. I hope I got everything there because I never want to go back. I found
Clear Bluestone Ring +1, Old Sun Ring and Chloranthy Ring +1 and a merchant which I bought the Claymore from.
From really are trolls, placing so many good items in such an annoying area aren't they?

Forest where you can't see shit with invisible enemies that you can't lock on to.
I thought we had already been through this shit and decided it's not fun :(

Also, what's up with those trees with faces that give off noise when you strike them?

Since poise is currently negligible and defense rating has never been particularly useful you're better off dressing your guy in whatever way you think looks coolest. Barring that, you can't beat running around completely nude for the low encumbrance.

If you like the looks of Alva's set and have already invested titanite in it I suggest you stick with that.

Solid advice, thanks.

Could you explain your reasoning regarding poise? I'm not sure I follow.

Fuck the
mist area
of the Shaded Woods. I hope I got everything there because I never want to go back. I found
Clear Bluestone Ring +1, Old Sun Ring and Chloranthy Ring +1 and a merchant which I bought the Claymore from.
From really are trolls, placing so many good items in such an annoying area aren't they?

Forest where you can't see shit with invisible enemies that you can't lock on to.

Before I reached that area, someone had referred to
The N64 Woods
in the first thread. I had a good laugh when I finally arrived.

Respect

Fuck the
mist area

Also, what's up with those trees with faces that give off noise when you strike them?

There is also a
Gower's Ring of Protection
there as well, but that might only be NG+ only, not sure.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I know my way around well enough that I don't even care when I invade people and they use a seed. I mean it kind of lets me drag mobs around too, so it's not a 100% advantage to the host when they use it.

And if you like getting stunlocked by fast 1h weapons and comboed into a heavier offhand into a 1hko, then yeah I guess poise is useless.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This issue with bows is really off-putting -_-
What issue?

Am I a douchebag for refusing to bow to/with an invader?
Unless you're camping near a bonfire/spawn point for invaders to duel them like you would a summoned red sign, then no. If you're progressing through the level, anything is fair game.

Sometimes I'm PvEing and get invaded and the invader bows. I can't help but bow back, since I find that kinda cool. If I spot them at a fair and safe distance, sometimes I'll bow too if I feel like it, and they usually bow back. But that's our prerogative, I wouldn't blame anyone for just rushing in for the win.

Duels (summoned red signs or dragon signs) are different, though. If you don't bow back you are a douche. :p

Last night i got a couple of hits in during several fights because the invader tried bowing at me after invading my game.
I've been hit too many times while bowing
That's kind of weird, though, since now you can roll out of a gesture where you couldn't before. I dropped a red a few times last night at the Iron Keep bridge, and I always use Bow or Prostration to salute my opponent. One asshole tried chucking a lightning spear at me during my prostration, so I just cancelled it by rolling sideways. Then I waited for him to re-cast another lightning spear and murdered him with my much faster-casting sorcery and did the "No way" gesture. :p

Best gestures:

1. Righty-ho!
2. Warmup
3. Have mercy!

99. Decapitate
I use Decapitate two ways: sometimes before a boss fog, when I'm mad at him killing me a few times (means "this time you die, bitch!"), and in (summoned) PvP after winning against players who acted like dicks, such as chugging Estus or trying to attack me during a gesture. I also use No way! against these assholes too.

The worst gesture is Prostration. I loved it at first because of how different it was from past games
It was in Dark Souls 1 too...
, but seeing people use it in various contexts over time, it just never says anything concrete and just looks weird.
As a kendo practitioner I love it haha. I use it every time I win in the Bell Covenant, often coupled with the "I'm sorry!" carving, especially if it was a 2v1, as a way to beg forgiveness. xD In summoned duels, I usually bow with it pre-match, and after winning (unless, again, opponent was a dick who healed or tried to gank me). It's a very polite, humble and very Japanese-looking gesture so I like it. =)

My most rated message on one character is 'Beware of Hole, right" next to iron king fog door and on another character it's a blatant insult against Darkdiver Grandahl beneath the castle.
Haha now I wanna know what that insult it. I'm assuming it used the words "but" and "hole". :p
My most rated message is similar to yours. In the Bastille, the area where you find the Antiquated Key in a chest, there's a hole to the right of the door that accesses this area. I promptly fell into it the first time. xD So I left a message "Be wary of hole, right!" at the door threshold, and got many many ratings so hopefully some players didn't make the same mistake I did haha.

Ugh, that A
ncient
D
ragon
will be my bane it seems :/ Finally grinded the place empty of enemies, currently SL 192 and while I finally can see summon signs again in the area, going human is draining my human effigies fast.
A tip for people who want to revive super easily without using effigies: drop a Small White Soapstone. Since the patch, having a "Duty fulfilled" as a Shade revives you to human! In many cases all you need to do is kill a few enemies or last a few minutes with the host for a free revive. Even easier than being a Phantom!

Many, myself included, thought the concept of a Shade was kind of dumb, but I've come around and think it's brilliant now. Not only can you summon a helper for an area where the boss is cleared, but as a host it's useful to clear a bunch of annoying enemies on your way to a boss that you'd rather solo. And as a Shade, not only you revive now, but it refills your Estus, your spell charges, and repairs all your gear. On my mage in that room with all the statues and Sentinels in Drangleic, I would run out of spell casts very quickly trying to clear that room, and I didn't want to waste magic-refilling consumables nor did I want to respawn the enemies at the bonfire, so I dropped a Small sign. Help the host clear a few enemies, Duty fulfilled, bam all your estus and magic refilled.

In fact, I'm starting to think being a Shade is OP. You're near a boss fog, or even mid-way through a level, but are low on Estus/Magic/Durability? Don't want to respawn all the enemies by resting? Drop a Small sign. You often don't even need to kill a boss, just a few mobs, and you're as good as freshly rested. Too good!

Solid advice, thanks.

Could you explain your reasoning regarding poise? I'm not sure I follow.

Used to be poise let you tank a hit or two to allow you to either counter attack or dodge out of the way, but in DS2 you'll be lucky if you can take a single hit from even the flimsiest katana before you're stun-locked. You'd think donning a full set of Havel's would let you jump into the fray but you can still be staggered by an enemy punching you with their fists after a couple of hits. That's not to say poise is non-existent, an exaggeration I've heard stated several times, but if you're given the chance to choose between mobility and poise in DS2, always side with mobility. In DS1 it was a tactical decision, but now it's a given.

Gorillaz

I think this game is honestly gotten to an unplayable state when it comes to connection and PvP.

Everything is delayed to such an extreme that it's becoming laughable

GulAtiCa

You evil bastard!
I'd been planning on doing this too, in the Belfries - NG++ BP's should give most invaders a run for their money ^.^

So much fun! Esp to see the invader panic and run away. On Sunday I took out 3 invaders this way. At least 2 of them never even saw me and had no clue I was watching them the whole time.

Best part, is that the effect doesn't go away. Will stay until you die or warp out. If you rest at a bonfire, it will stay active.

Used to be poise let you tank a hit or two to allow you to either counter attack or dodge out of the way, but in DS2 you'll be lucky if you can take a single hit from even the flimsiest katana before you're stun-locked. You'd think donning a full set of Havel's would let you jump into the fray but you can still be staggered by an enemy punching you with their fists after a couple of hits. That's not to say poise is non-existent, an exaggeration I've heard stated several times, but if you're given the chance to choose between mobility and poise in DS2, always side with mobility. In DS1 it was a tactical decision, but now it's a given.

I assume this means the PVP meta favors fast weapons over the heavy slow weapons. Poise used to give you take a couple hits in your swing animation but still follow through for a big wallop.

I see what you mean. I remember when I got the iron set in DS1 and I could tank through just about everything when I was stuck in the painted world of ariamis.

jabuseika

Can't wait for Dark Souls II OT4 - Is the PC version here yet?

The amount of Havel Mages I've been encountering in NG+ PvP is just absurd. Some HavelMage invaded me in the
Dark Abyss 3
, while I was going for the
Dark Lurker
, and one-shotted me. FFS.

..and I only had like two effigies left.

Sword sword is arguably a great weapon for a quality build. That and a mace got me through all of NG. At +10 it scales A with DEX and STR.

Sunlight Spear is great* if you have the Faith requirement and use some spice to bring it down. But honestly I use Great Lightning Spears more often. Plenty of power and you get more uses.

Sword sword!!

My favourite sword is sword sword.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
next week I need someone to PM me or something with the stuff I have to do to not miss anything before finishing the game, I hate missing stuff.

Im talking about stuff like the painting world in DS1, which if I hadnt read it, I would never in a million years find it myself

Mistel

Banned
next week I need someone to PM me or something with the stuff I have to do to not miss anything before finishing the game, I hate missing stuff.

Im talking about stuff like the painting world in DS1, which if I hadnt read it, I would never in a million years find it myself
So all the optional areas then? I could do that for you.

Dreaver

Hey friends, I'm about to finish the game, I'm in the last area, I have
the shadow world optimal boss
and final boss left. Before I start NG+, did I forget any secret area's?
I have found the Belfry Gargyles, Belltower above Iron Keep and the Shadow World via The Forgotten Key thing
And can I kill all npc's without consequences in NG+?

Thanks!

LiK

one time i did the same gestures as another guy exactly. i guess we both liked to use the same ones, lol

Hey friends, I'm about to finish the game, I'm in the last area, I have
the shadow world optimal boss
and final boss left. Before I start NG+, did I forget any secret area's?
I have found the Belfry Gargyles, Belltower above Iron Keep and the Shadow World via The Forgotten Key thing
And can I kill all npc's without consequences in NG+?

Thanks!
Imagine it: You start NG+, the second you step food in Heide's Tower the fog door goes up. First time, every time. If that sounds like good news, slaughter the NPCs.

gaugebozo

WotG is amazing. I tested it out right after I got it in NG++ during the (boss spoiler)
Looking Glass Knight. Right after the mirror squire was summoned, I used WotG on him just as he took control. It did some ridiculous amount of damage (3000?) and he died immediately. I wonder if he even was able to see what was happening yet, lol.

Top Bottom