• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Moofers

So in a fit of rage, I killed the Rat King. Didn't realize you can join their stupid covenant and have enemies turn friendly in a couple areas. I've been a blue sentinel for ages and haven't been summoned a single time despite wearing that useless ring for hours and hours. I'm thinking about jumping ship and the rat clan seems the most useful to me now and it looks like I've burned that bridge. Am I boned? No ratbros for me?

E92 M3

So in a fit of rage, I killed the Rat King. Didn't realize you can join their stupid covenant and have enemies turn friendly in a couple areas. I've been a blue sentinel for ages and haven't been summoned a single time despite wearing that useless ring for hours and hours. I'm thinking about jumping ship and the rat clan seems the most useful to me now and it looks like I've burned that bridge. Am I boned? No ratbros for me?

I think the rat bros is the most boring covenant. Why not invade some sinners? Or join the bell covenant - always action there.

There should be tombstone where you killed him. Unless that NPC doesn't have one after death. Also is that really true, about some of those enemies turning friendly in the rat covenant? First I've heard of it.

Almost at the end of New game+, decided to head over to bellfy Luna and grind out the last few kills I needed to get the rank 2 sorcery. It's going pretty well, my sl150 sorcerer build is quite capable against most of the victims I encounter. I figure I have almost have enough kills to rank up, and I'm checking in with the bell dwarf periodically. As usual, I can barely open the door into Luna before the fog appears and I know someone is coming in to ruin my day. No big deal, I can handle them I thought. The dude drops down immediately, right next to the dwarf. I back up onto the narrow walkway and watch him sheepishly close the door in front of me.
This is the point where I made a huge mistake, and in my enthusiasm to vanquish this nasty scoundrel I cast chaos storm to ignite him from the other side of the door. It works, taking out most of my life bar. However there's another life bar and a irritating voice shouting at me for being a "filthy undead." I realise I've pissed off the npc and just got kicked out of the covenant. Again, not the end of the world. I can absolve my sin with Cromwell and all will be well again, right? Wrong. Just before the invader takes my life with a lighting spear I notice the dwarf chase me outside, spontaneously rolling off the ledge. I see +700 souls added to my soul memory just late enough to figure out what happened. I rush back and find only a rusted coin in his place.
uvxrLNJ.gif

Moofers

I think the rat bros is the most boring covenant. Why not invade some sinners? Or join the bell covenant - always action there.

I can never get it to work. The cracked blue orb is never is a state where it can be used, only discarded. Same with the red one. I'm SL 85 you'd think by now it would be an option?

There should be tombstone where you killed him. Unless that NPC doesn't have one after death. Also is that really true, about some of those enemies turning friendly in the rat covenant? First I've heard of it.

Yeah there are two areas in the game where enemies turn friendly and if you hang around, you'll draw other players into your world where you and the enemies all beat them down. It's super annoying for anyone not in the covenant. I have read stories where people got summoned in like 3 times during their first visit to the place and the other player was waiting in waist deep water, surrounded by ranged enemies. They said the third time it happenede they just waited for death and didn't even fight back.

Sounds like Shawn Elliot's wet dream.

Are you sure? My Soul Memory is around 25-30 million i think, and i have no problem matching up with others. I played a lot, and i would be surprised if so many people have played about as much as i have, concidering that i get matched up easily.

How can you predict when you're getting invaded by the way?

The main distinction seems simply that NG is separate from NG+ but each group's online pool is still based on Soul Memory. Apparently once you have a moderately high soul mem, the larger range you will be paired with.

Just finished
Velstadt and met the crazy Vendrick
... Pretty awesome scene. It is 10 PM right now, I think I'm going to try and beat the game by 1 if possible (is it?). So pumped.

Man, I just got around to checking out some network test footage, and I can kind of understand why some people were so upset.

It seems like it runs, looks, and plays better than the final product. So weird that it had to be downgraded like it was.

Nah, it looked better but ran like crap compared to the final build.

Mentok

Banned
Almost at the end of New game+, decided to head over to bellfy Luna and grind out the last few kills I needed to get the rank 2 sorcery. It's going pretty well, my sl150 sorcerer build is quite capable against most of the victims I encounter. I figure I have almost have enough kills to rank up, and I'm checking in with the bell dwarf periodically. As usual, I can barely open the door into Luna before the fog appears and I know someone is coming in to ruin my day. No big deal, I can handle them I thought. The dude drops down immediately, right next to the dwarf. I back up onto the narrow walkway and watch him sheepishly close the door in front of me.
This is the point where I made a huge mistake, and in my enthusiasm to vanquish this nasty scoundrel I cast chaos storm to ignite him from the other side of the door. It works, taking out most of my life bar. However there's another life bar and a irritating voice shouting at me for being a "filthy undead." I realise I've pissed off the npc and just got kicked out of the covenant. Again, not the end of the world. I can absolve my sin with Cromwell and all will be well again, right? Wrong. Just before the invader takes my life with a lighting spear I notice the dwarf chase me outside, spontaneously rolling off the ledge. I see +700 souls added to my soul memory just late enough to figure out what happened. I rush back and find only a rusted coin in his place.
uvxrLNJ.gif

Oh MAN! I remember in DS I got invaded in Anor Londo. The duel wound up in the bonfire room with Solaire and I accidentally killed him with spells. I was pissed then, and this seems 100 times worse!

Oh Dark Souls, you cruel addiction

bDNPGPm.gif

demidar

I can never get it to work. The cracked blue orb is never is a state where it can be used, only discarded. Same with the red one. I'm SL 85 you'd think by now it would be an option?

You need to be human to invade. You also need to be in Blue Sentinels to invade the guilty.

Jaeger

I'm going to Soul Vessel again, soon. With the high soul number it's hard to level up (not yet at the Giant Memories).

So I'm going to reallocate my stats to focus on health; endurance, stregnth, and dex.

Fucking N
ashandra
boss fight. Not only is she a pain but the 5 minutes walking back and forth swapping rings to open doors etc. is annoying

LiK

i regret using up all my Twinkling on my armor. I want to upgrade my Dragon Chime now. Guess I'll need to farm it or just go to NG+ for a fresh batch.

LiK

I'm surprised they didn't patch the King doors to stay open once unlocked.

it's annoying. i don't mind the opening as much as having to constantly WEAR the King's Ring to open them. Why not just open since it's in our inventory?

demidar

it's annoying. i don't mind the opening as much as having to constantly WEAR the King's Ring to open them. Why not just open since it's in our inventory?

I agree, it's a fucking pain in the ass. Worse when the ring images don't load in fast.

There's a lot of little tedious shit in the game like that. A lot of it is unnecessary too

One of my biggest annoyances in the game is having to go to the Emerald Herald to level up every time. It was fine in Demon's Souls because it was the first game and I forgave it (I played Dark then Demon's) but it just feels so pointless in DS2. I go to the bonfire, wait 20-30 seconds loading, go to level up, go back to the bonfire and wait another 20-30 seconds of loading before getting to progress again

I think they should have just kept leveling at the bonfires. I see no reason to have to do it at Majula every time. I don't mind the merchants all being there tough

LiK

There's a lot of little tedious shit in the game like that. A lot of it is unnecessary too

One of my biggest annoyances in the game is having to go to the Emerald Herald to level up every time. It was fine in Demon's Souls because it was the first game and I forgave it (I played Dark then Demon's) but it just feels so pointless in DS2. I go to the bonfire, wait 20-30 seconds loading, go to level up, go back to the bonfire and wait another 20-30 seconds of loading before getting to progress again

I think they should have just kept leveling at the bonfires. I see no reason to have to do it at Majula every time. I don't mind the merchants all being there tough

yea, the Herald is a throwback to leveling with Maiden in Black but probably not needed after the initial introduction. Constantly having to skip the same dialogue to get to the screen is pretty laborious. did the QA and testers even complained about that aspect of it?

Ghazi

Man, I just got around to checking out some network test footage, and I can kind of understand why some people were so upset.

It seems like it runs, looks, and plays better than the final product. So weird that it had to be downgraded like it was.

Exactly, which is why I'm really disappointed about it. But it won't matter at all, From sold millions of copies and it's a success, so we'll probably never see it like that again :(

took me 3 hours straight of retrying to beat him today. don't worry, you'll get there.
Yeah I think I'm gonna call it a night there. I don't feel like making the painful run back. I wasted half my lightning spears before I got to the darned thing. But soon!

LiK

Yeah I think I'm gonna call it a night there. I don't feel like making the painful run back. I wasted half my lightning spears before I got to the darned thing. But soon!

i highly recommend despawning all those guys before the boss. i made sure to do that before doing any runbacks. it'll save you time and frustration in the long run cuz the boss fight itself can be pretty rage-inducing already.

yea, the Herald is a throwback to leveling with Maiden in Black but probably not needed after the initial introduction. Constantly having to skip the same dialogue to get to the screen is pretty laborious. did the QA and testers even complained about that aspect of it?

My guess is they just left it in like you said as a throwback and never really did anymore with it. It would be cool if you met her and needed to go to her a few times at the start to level up but then she like gave you something that enabled you to do it. Like you could get her feather and wave that over yourself or something.

Hopefully PC version has super fast loading times to avoid some of the annoyance

LiK

My guess is they just left it in like you said as a throwback and never really did anymore with it. It would be cool if you met her and needed to go to her a few times at the start to level up but then she like gave you something that enabled you to do it. Like you could get her feather and wave that over yourself or something.

Hopefully PC version has super fast loading times to avoid some of the annoyance

i checked out the preview videos and yea, PC loading is super fast even on regular HDDs. it'll be a godsend on SSDs. i'm not gonna mind dabbling in it to take screenshots of my fave areas.

Mask

Really need to get back to trying to beat this with my Dual Caestus build, keep putting it off to play Doom 3 Absolute HD
instead..

On a related note, I cancelled my Dark Souls 2 Black Armour PC preorder today, partially due to the delay, but also because I've been
finding it hard to actually care about completing the PS3 version, so buying another version that I'm not likely to bother with, would just
be a waste of money. I'll grab the PC version in a few months time, when it'll probably be in a sale or two.

i checked out the preview videos and yea, PC loading is super fast even on regular HDDs. it'll be a godsend on SSDs. i'm not gonna mind dabbling in it to take screenshots of my fave areas.

Good to hear, it's one of my biggest gripes with the Disc PS3 version. Everything takes forever to read and display

Really need to get back to trying to beat this with my Dual Caestus build, keep putting it off to play Doom 3 Absolute HD
instead..

I love PvPing with these. They have some ridiculous stunlocking. Makes me wanna get the Vanquisher's Seal, but leveling up the CoC covenant is a chore. Especially since summoning red phantoms by summon sign doesn't seem to count towards it.

cLOUDo

what is the best katana in the game?
already have a blacksteel katana+10
and an uchigatana +6

what about the others?

PD: dex 52

Hmm. I dunno. I can see why someone would think it unnecessary, but I think it works thematically, i.e. Majula is your only true sanctuary and home to the very few people that can and want to help you. It also made me think about my stat investment a lot more, because of its more deliberate, methodical implementation. Not to mention, I'd have completely forgotten about a few Estus Flask shards had it not been for her prompting me.

Having said that... 20-30 seconds? Jesus, man. PS3? I have it installed on 360 and I'm fairly confident that no loading screen has exceeded 5-7 seconds. That's mega balls.

LiK

what is the best katana in the game?
already have a blacksteel katana+10
and an uchigatana +6

what about the others?

PD: dex 52

Heard Berserker Blade is quite liked here. I haven't tested them a lot but there's also the Chaos Blade, Manslayer and Washing Pole you can check out. I have them all just sitting in my inventory.

Garcia

Very good title. That's exactly her dialogue once you hit SL 30 or above .

There's a couple of videos that compare the differences thoroughly:

Dark Souls 2 - April 2013 Vs Retail Lighting and Graphics Comparison Part 1 and How we were lied to about Dark Souls 2.

Abysmal difference.

Moofers

Very good title. That's exactly her dialogue once you hit SL 30 or above .

There's a couple of videos that compare the differences thoroughly:

Dark Souls 2 - April 2013 Vs Retail Lighting and Graphics Comparison Part 1 and How we were lied to about Dark Souls 2.

Abysmal difference.

Wow. So is that what the PC version will look like? Or will it just be a higher res 60fps version of the console game?

I'd buy this again for PS4 if it looked like the nice version in those videos.

Darksheik

Farm Shrine of Amana, or track down all the Crystal lizards in Dragon Aerie.

Clear the Dragon Aerie and then use an ascetic.. several times. I did that at the end of my first playthrough, easy way to get lots of upgrade materials.

I may consider farming a bit in Dragon Aerie thanks.
No NPC sells them anyway? I remember that, at least in an early version of the game, in Dark Souls the big giant smith sold them in Anor Londo.

Stoze

Wow. So is that what the PC version will look like? Or will it just be a higher res 60fps version of the console game?

I'd buy this again for PS4 if it looked like the nice version in those videos.

The latter, April 2013 has completely different lighting, assets, geometry, etc., and it was downgraded for all versions.

Top Bottom