• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

maomaoIYP

EDIT: Speaking of the Far Fire site, the stats seem kinda weird. PC has by FAR more disappeared souls than 360 and PS3, despite having a much lower total clear stat than both. (But it does have more total deaths than 360, and less than PS3.) Anybody have any thoughts as to why that would be?

Cheating

GorillaJu

according to dark souls 2 official site
http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/inventory/index.html
out of all rings, including each variants of the same ring, ring of life protection is the third (ps3) most equiped ring worldwide. majority = casual?
out of all armors, havel piece are always top 3 except helm. majority = casual?

I don't wear a single ring except TDR on the first page (why wouldn't anyone?).
Tearstone, Clearstone and Gold Covetous for me!

NG+ co-op is a lot of fun. Players generally know what they're doing so you can zip through an area quickly pulling of some cool co-op work. And equipment among co-op players seems (at least in my experience) to be more varied and interesting than PVP equipment.

EDIT: Speaking of the Far Fire site, the stats seem kinda weird. PC has by FAR more disappeared souls than 360 and PS3, despite having a much lower total clear stat than both. (But it does have more total deaths than 360, and less than PS3.) Anybody have any thoughts as to why that would be?

PS360 has an extra 6 weeks from such an earlier release. PC has only been out 5 weeks now, compared to consoles at around 11 weeks. The fact that the PC already has more deaths than 360 and is demolishing both on Souls Disappeared should give an indication that PC sold very, very well. Check the PC stats 6 weeks from now and compare to PS360 from today and the Total Clear should be banana's.

Maybe Durante can post some of his launch aligned charts again now that we have a little more data. Should be interesting to see.

Durante

according to dark souls 2 official site
http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/inventory/index.html
out of all rings, including each variants of the same ring, ring of life protection is the third (ps3) most equiped ring worldwide. majority = casual?
out of all armors, havel piece are always top 3 except helm. majority = casual?
Honestly, the way it is designed why wouldn't you use the ring of life protection? I feel like its repair cost could be increased by a factor of 5 and it would still be a good deal.

Maybe Durante can post some of his launch aligned charts again now that we have a little more data. Should be interesting to see.
I still don't have launch aligned data. 2 more weeks or so now.

I can't spare no ring slot on some no-lose ring, I need all 4!

I hate the normal Hollows in this game so much. Their hitboxes are more fucked than any boss's.
The spear weilding soldiers in FOFG, hate them - I won't go near them until they've done all 3 hits of their combo because of the silly spin-tracking.

Z..

Huge post lost over connection error. Goddamnit. Fucking hate that shit.

*sigh* Short version:

- Rocking Staff of Amana+10 (s scaling). Only does about 20~50 more damage per spell than +7 C scaling sorcerer's staff. What the fuck? The strongerst spell I have access to right now (soul spear) does less damage than one 2-handed L2+forward hit of my Moonlight Greatsword. Tested on Pursuer, Demon of Song and Velstadt. This is bullshit.

- At what INT level does it make sense to infuse my moonlight greatsword with magic? There's an ~80 something damage loss but the scaling goes from A to S. At what point is it better to have it infused than basic?

- Other than the Moonlight Greatsword, what other good INT scaling weapons are there? A and S territory, only... have several good Bs already. I don't want to check the wiki for every weapon there is. Help a brother out, GAF!

- Got trolled bigtime. Which I love and hate. "Torch, don't you dare" message right before Agdayne rated ~15. "Be wary of liar" message right before it rated ~150. Guess which one I trusted? Gotta love the constant trolling happening in the messages... at least I didn't lose out on anything special. Btw, "troll" should be in the creature vocabulary, even if just for the sake of the messaging community.

- Rocking Alva's Set+7. Love it. The spartan "classic souls" look is all I needed. Is there anything better out there in this weight class?

- Any good bows for INT builds that aren't too heavy? Dragonrider and Hunter Blackbow seem nice enough, they get a B scaling when infused.

- What are the best mid shields out there? Defender? Watchdragon Parma? King?

I know I'm forgetting some stuff, but meh.

Ruuppa

Ring of Binding and Life Protection in Top 6? Casul souls confirmed.

Too bad there's no spell list, and no overall weapons list.

Mistel

Banned
- At what INT level does it make sense to infuse my moonlight greatsword with magic? There's an ~80 something damage loss but the scaling goes from A to S. At what point is it better to have it infused than basic?

- Any good bows for INT builds that aren't too heavy? Dragonrider and Hunter Blackbow seem nice enough, they get a B scaling when infused.

Drakekeeper shield or old knight shield. It's a scaling increase and conversion to physical damage any level is fine. Dragon rider bow takes 50% more stamina per shot.

Temidien

Neo Member
I have kept myself completely in the dark on this game. gave it some time to cool off and want to know, should I buy it or not?

In anticipation of this game, I played maybe 4-5 hours of Dark Souls 1 (already had it in my Steam library per previous sales and had never touched it because of the "OMG GUYS IT'S SO DIFFICULT AND HARDCORE LOL" reputation it had built up). Liked the mechanics, though they felt foreign, and once I got into the mindset of "Hey, it's not that tough, you just have to be patient and think things through a little", I figured I was ready for DS2.

As someone (practically) new to the Souls series, DS2 is stellar. I never got far enough into DS1 to compare the two, but I can say that as a standalone, DS2 is very much worth a purchase. I'm 40 hours in,
just reached Drangleic Castle
, and having a blast. Game hasn't hooked me like this in a very long time.

Renekton

In anticipation of this game, I played maybe 4-5 hours of Dark Souls 1 (already had it in my Steam library per previous sales and had never touched it because of the "OMG GUYS IT'S SO DIFFICULT AND HARDCORE LOL" reputation it had built up). Liked the mechanics, though they felt foreign, and once I got into the mindset of "Hey, it's not that tough, you just have to be patient and think things through a little", I figured I was ready for DS2.

As someone (practically) new to the Souls series, DS2 is stellar. I never got far enough into DS1 to compare the two, but I can say that as a standalone, DS2 is very much worth a purchase. I'm 40 hours in,
just reached Drangleic Castle
, and having a blast. Game hasn't hooked me like this in a very long time.
How do you feel about the -maxhealth penalty for death?

UrbanRats

Drakekeeper shield or old knight shield. It's a scaling increase and conversion to physical damage any level is fine. Dragon rider bow takes 50% more stamina per shot.

Drakekeeper is a greatshield though.
Old Knight shield has shit durability.

I think when it comes to mid shields, King's is probably the best.

Temidien

Neo Member
How do you feel about the -maxhealth penalty for death?

It's a virtual non-issue. I carry three life protection rings and dozens of Human Effigies burning a hole in my pocket. The only penalty for going hollow, personally, is losing the ability to summon players but throwing my sign down cures that in no time.

I stopped caring about dying shortly after discovering jolly co-op. Probably makes me a filthy casul for stacking the odds in my favor but oh well, I'm having more fun without the constant anxiety of losing souls.

I just found out you can't put your summon sign down and summon other people. Was wondering why I couldn't see any signs in front of boss doors other than my own.

UrbanRats

No it is not a great shield. It is a normal shield.

Ah you're right, i was confusing it with the one i have (which is a greatshiled).
It is ugly as shit though. :p

--

I'm not sure if From are reading this, but i wish to whoever designed the Throne Watcher and Defender fight, a fulfilling week of diarrhea.
Goddamnit @ this lame ass version of the lawyers from DkS1.

I like the idea of them reviving each other, but everything else about that fight is lame.
Oh, yet another lame ass move set of three slow swings, a thrust attack, and a jumping slash, plus a homing/missile shot.
Forreal, what makes it hard is basically the fact that, despite having almost the exact same move set, one is slightly faster than the other, so you constantly need to switch mental gear as to whom you're dodging, and therefore what rhythm your roll should have, except when they attack you together, which basically means you're gonna run out of iframes no matter what, given the slightly different timings of their attacks.

It's funny because with a shield the fight becomes fairly easy, instead.

There are many multiple bosses in this game, but they rarely have an interesting move-set, it's usually just dudes with the three slashes you'd expect from the Giants in Heide's.
Ornstein & Smough was the only multiple boss (ok, the gargoyles too) in DkS1, but it felt so particular and unique, and they were so different, it felt like more meaningful design.

Same with Ruin Sentinels, even though that fight is much easier, it just feels cheap to have the same boss twice, or the Dragonriders (which is one of the easiest fights in the game, but it's still incredibly lame).
I'd much rather have a single boss with a peculiar moveset and behavior, than something that feels like the same boss you've been fighting the whole game, just doubled.

Mistel

Banned
Ah you're right, i was confusing it with the one i have (which is a greatshiled).
It is ugly as shit though. :p
It's looks was not relevant to the criteria. It is also superior to the kings shield in a majority of stats other than weight which it is 1 unit heavier.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
*sigh* Short version:

- Rocking Staff of Amana+10 (s scaling). Only does about 20~50 more damage per spell than +7 C scaling sorcerer's staff. What the fuck? The strongerst spell I have access to right now (soul spear) does less damage than one 2-handed L2+forward hit of my Moonlight Greatsword. Tested on Pursuer, Demon of Song and Velstadt. This is bullshit.
Use the Staff of Amana, dude. What are you waiting for? It's the best sorcery staff in the game by far. Infuse it with magic, max it out, and watch HP bars melt even in NG+. If you have Watchdragon Parma, then you reached the area where you can find it.

Not sure but I infused it as soon as I got the sword. My int was pretty high, but then why wouldn't it be, it's a int build... xD

- Other than the Moonlight Greatsword, what other good INT scaling weapons are there? A and S territory, only... have several good Bs already. I don't want to check the wiki for every weapon there is. Help a brother out, GAF!
Blue Flame isn't bad, a small sword that can also cast sorceries and scales with int. Requires twinkling though (save those for your Staff of Wisdom if you don't have a lot) and not as strong as the MLGS. Honestly the MLGS is probably the best melee weapon for an int build. Maybe the Dragonrider Twinblade is good, I dunno. Or the black knight halberd, I think it has some int scaling but it requires heavy str.

- Got trolled bigtime. Which I love and hate. "Torch, don't you dare" message right before Agdayne rated ~15. "Be wary of liar" message right before it rated ~150. Guess which one I trusted? Gotta love the constant trolling happening in the messages... at least I didn't lose out on anything special. Btw, "troll" should be in the creature vocabulary, even if just for the sake of the messaging community.
Visit Cromwell and absolve? Agdayne is a useful NPC.

Dragonrider should be decent. But why would a mage need a bow? You can snipe with spells using the binoculars now.

I pretty much always stick to Royal Kite Shield. Low stat req, very light, no farming required (just buy from McDuff), requires normal titanite.

Mistel

Banned
Maybe the Dragonrider Twinblade is good, I dunno. Or the black knight halberd, I think it has some int scaling but it requires heavy str.
Black knight has higher dex requirement that str for its usage. The dragon rider halberd has lower requiremnts and also scales with int. The dragon rider twin blade ironically has more durability than the halberd does lol.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ah right it's more dex than str, I must have confused with the bk great swords. I don't know if they're good melee weapons for a int build though, I just stick to MLGS lol.

Mistel

Banned
You could go str/int and use the ultra great sword which has the requirements of 30/16 with a C bonus for int. Or you could raise your stats to 28/20/12/12 for the black knight greatsword which is your other option.

The final choice would be a black knight great axe but although it is the strongest of the lot you would have to be able to hit with the blade itself which is a bit temperamental sometimes. Fine if you are used to it but it would take a bit of getting used to and for that you might as well get a butcher's axe instead and infuse that.

God fuck the gutter, fuck it to hell. It's such an ugly boring area. It's so fucking pointless, why the fuck would the developers think this was a good idea? It's just so fucking lazy. Blight town is an ugly fucking area, but, goddamn replaying it and I realized I was wrong about it.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
God fuck the gutter, fuck it to hell. It's such an ugly boring area. It's so fucking pointless, why the fuck would the developers think this was a good idea? It's just so fucking lazy. Blight town is an ugly fucking area, but, goddamn replaying it and I realized I was wrong about it.

Fortunately you can get through it pretty fast if you have a decent idea of the direction you need to go. I liked it the first time, but I rather get through it quickly on subsequent playthroughs.

Fortunately you can get through it pretty fast if you have a decent idea of the direction you need to go. I liked it the first time, but I rather get through it quickly on subsequent playthroughs.

Ive been here many times before and each time I come it gets worse and worse.

ValfarHL

I don't remember the name of the area. But the forest part with the scorpion lady boss is so uninspired and crappy I am almost considering dropping the game. Why o why did this area make it to the final game?

Durante

I finally gotthe screenshot I was trying to take around 20 times :p

screenshot_2014-05-29vhsr0.jpg

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I finally gotthe screenshot I was trying to take around 20 times :p

screenshot_2014-05-29vhsr0.jpg

In the future, I recommend using Fraps to record lossless video footage. If you're keeping it lossless, it's basically a screenshot slide show, then you can just rip the individual frame out that you want.

It makes getting a precise frame a lot easier.

I don't remember the name of the area. But the forest part with the scorpion lady boss is so uninspired and crappy I am almost considering dropping the game. Why o why did this are make it to the final game?

Shaded Ruins? Yeah, it's really bad. I'm actually impressed they were able to make a whole area with just two textures

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
The funny thing about the progression of the shaded woods -> shaded ruins -> tseldora and the pit -> gutter -> black gulch is that once you know where to go, it takes 10 minutes at the most to reach the main bosses. They are artificially difficult areas, shaded woods and ruins are probably my least favorite because they just seem super uninspired. You can literally dash from the bonfire just before the fog in shaded woods all the way through to the boss door with Scorpioness Najka in about 2 minutes without stopping to fight anything. Getting through Tseldora is a little more challenging before you can face Freja though.

Huge post lost over connection error. Goddamnit. Fucking hate that shit.

*sigh* Short version:

The witch staff is by far the best staff till you get the Wisdom staff, amana is slighly better but most of its sats are for miracles i think so you dont get a pure sorcerer staff like the starter one.

Mages dont use armor that often, if you are getting hit its because you are to close, stick with light armors like alva, the straid set, miracle lady armor set or the black with set are the best options for sorcerers.

Durante

In the future, I recommend using Fraps to record lossless video footage. If you're keeping it lossless, it's basically a screenshot slide show, then you can just rip the individual frame out that you want.

It makes getting a precise frame a lot easier.
Doesn't work in this situation, there's always the "bonfire lit" popup in the way if you don't use the hudless screenshot option of GeDoSaTo.

And anyway, since I take all my shots during normal gameplay, I'm already cutting it pretty close performance-wise at 4k with all the effects.

Temidien

Neo Member
Shaded Ruins? Yeah, it's really bad. I'm actually impressed they were able to make a whole area with just two textures

In From's defense,
cheap invisible-ish enemies, curse jars, and a hole trap leading to a basilisk ambush

Redeeming feature:
Meeting Vengarl and getting his helm

The witch staff is by far the best staff till you get the Wisdom staff, amana is slighly better but most of its sats are for miracles i think so you dont get a pure sorcerer staff like the starter one.

Mages dont use armor that often, if you are getting hit its because you are to close, stick with light armors like alva, the straid set, miracle lady armor set or the black with set are the best options for sorcerers.

Don't forget the Lion Mage set for increase cast speed.

Xeroblade

The funny thing about the progression of the shaded woods -> shaded ruins -> tseldora and the pit -> gutter -> black gulch is that once you know where to go, it takes 10 minutes at the most to reach the main bosses. They are artificially difficult areas, shaded woods and ruins are probably my least favorite because they just seem super uninspired. You can literally dash from the bonfire just before the fog in shaded woods all the way through to the boss door with Scorpioness Najka in about 2 minutes without stopping to fight anything. Getting through Tseldora is a little more challenging before you can face Freja though.

I think if they forced you to actually go through the foggy woods area before shaded ruins, it could have made it less boring. I don't think i have actually even fought the invisible dudes in that area.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You can literally dash from the bonfire just before the fog in shaded woods all the way through to the boss door with Scorpioness Najka in about 2 minutes without stopping to fight anything.
Like many places in all three games. But yeah Shaded Ruins looks crappy. Not sure which is worse between that and Harvest Valley though. That mushy grey in the valley is a real eyesore. Shame because I like looking up towards the windmill and all, it could have been really cool. And I like the curse pots, lion warriors, witchy feel of Shaded Ruins so it had potential, it was just really not used so well. I think Shaded Ruins and Harvest Valley are my least favourite Souls areas, art direction-wise.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Doesn't work in this situation, there's always the "bonfire lit" popup in the way if you don't use the hudless screenshot option of GeDoSaTo.

And anyway, since I take all my shots during normal gameplay, I'm already cutting it pretty close performance-wise at 4k with all the effects.

Another option is to attach Cheat Engine, then use the Speed Hack option to slow the game down so it's easier to get the frame at the right time. You can just set a hot key to set game speed to 0.1 and another hot key to set it back to 1.0.

Like many places in all three games. But yeah Shaded Ruins looks crappy. Not sure which is worse between that and Harvest Valley though. That mushy grey in the valley is a real eyesore. Shame because I like looking up towards the windmill and all, it could have been really cool. And I like the curse pots, lion warriors, witchy feel of Shaded Ruins so it had potential, it was just really not used so well. I think Shaded Ruins and Harvest Valley are my least favourite Souls areas, art direction-wise.

Oh the shaded ruins was trully a tragedy on its own, all looks the same so i didnt bother to explore the area so I didnt see the scorpion dude staying in a small sand room it really killed me how that area was designed.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I think Shaded Ruins and Harvest Valley are my least favourite Souls areas, art direction-wise.

Shaded Ruins, Harvest Valley, and Lost Izalith for me. Just boring, ugly areas that weren't even difficult just artificially padded with environmental hazards. Some might add Black Gulch but I liked that area because it was full of secrets (pilgrim of dark and giants area) and unique ways of dealing with the dangers (fire in the oil pits) and is fairly non-punishing since you get 2 bonfires in such a short distance. The oil pit enemies are also nightmare fuel and all the glowing green was really cool.

Firebrand

PvP as dex melee, physical damage w/ resins, no spells, medium armor (Alva)... terriblest idea? I've been insisting on sticking with it and I've had more success than I've anticipated, but I can really get wrecked against people with heavy armor and lack of healing is obviously a problem in prolonged invasions. Been thinking of at least getting a backup weapon with some elemental damage, but I guess damage output would still be pretty crappy if I don't have stats bonuses to back it up.

So yeah, reason I'm being stubborn is because my first character was so faith-focused I didn't want to go down that route again. I guess I could perhaps add some light pyromancing, just a bit of a shame Flame Weapon is tough to get, and again, without heavy stat investment damage output might still be poor.

Don't know what happened last night, maybe it was passing the 1 mil soul memory but suddenly I had multiple blue summons as well as invasions in just one evening. Lots of dying on my end, but fun.

Top Bottom