• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

BigAT

Is there any sort of checklist on what you should take care of before you go on to NG+? I've played largely without a guide up until this point, but I'm near the end and now I want to make sure I get everything I need to before I beat it.

Is there any sort of checklist on what you should take care of before you go on to NG+? I've played largely without a guide up until this point, but I'm near the end and now I want to make sure I get everything I need to before I beat it.

If you want absolutely everything, then here you go. Pretty cool site. (Although it may be a bit overkill for what you're looking for.)

Great stuff. Vageta's various DS1 challenge runs back in the day were great. Hopefully he does more DS1 stuff in the future, although I don't think he's streamed much in the past couple of weeks.

Giantdads are just min maxed builds for a specific purpose, and they can be beaten easily, all you have to do is just go flip katana or rapier, estoc, spear and whittle them down. In Dark Souls 1 you still had to stay lower level if you wanted to invade ppl, so Giantdad builds weren't broken OP like Havel Monsters are in Dark Souls 2. Soul Memory gives no shits about your level constrained and well thought out character builds. Not to mention that every 50 or so levels that you go up is essentially like slapping on another layer of Havels defense. Great Magic Barrier, 2500+HP, Blue Tearstone and you will most likely never die in PvP.
Don't invade other peoples game.
You really want play balanced pvp, play soul calibur. Way more balanced than this game.

Booshka

You really want play balanced pvp, play soul calibur. Way more balanced than this game.

"Don't like it don't play it" is a pretty cheap argument, but it definitely is true for Dark Souls 2. I liked Dark Souls 1 A LOT, so I played it a ton. That Giantdad example of being a min/maxed build whereas Soul Memory nonsense in Dark Souls 2 leads to overleveled Havel Monsters, was me just explaining what I do and don't like about the two games.

Not expecting impeccable balance, Souls games would be a lot more boring if that was the case. Demon's and Dark 1 weren't as ridiculous as Dark 2 is though, and I would prefer if they went back to that model that relied heavily on Soul Level for matching, and didn't put such a priority on grinding out levels like Dark Souls 2 does.

AngryMoth

Elajjaz just finished a 1:32:25 run. Crazy.
Yep, it was a really good run, don't think it'll be beaten for a while although 1:30 should be possible with good RNG since he died a few times. Was pretty tense when he wasn't talking for the last 4 fights!

Also fun watching distortion and noobest who are currently discovering a new level of broken by doing the pairrywalk glitch in multiplayer

lizardwizarding

Neo Member

Completed+this+game+with+no+detections+or+kills+on+my+_12680e1b51c065e6a6def01ece7b420a.jpg

Aside from being a big ol' bully, why don't you humor us on how many people you loose to? All your build does is ensure a boring fight and consistency over a period of time (who comes to DS for those things?). You still get utterly rekt, by actual people who know how to deal with OP Dads. As someone toting as being a casual, you sure are amassing a lot of your wins on the casuals, huh go figure right?

Czigga

Has anyone tried running the game at 30fps on PC using GedoSato? Was going to try to run the game at 30 because I've read conflicting reports about the fucked up 60fps problems:

1. Increased weapon durability degradation (confirmed)
2. Some enemies' attack patterns faster (confirmed)

But the other ones I'm more interested in want to test and play around with myself

3. Shorter parry window
4. Shorter roll invulnerability window
5. Shorter special command window (harder to pull off guard break / leaping attacks)

So my question is what settings should I change in the config file in Gedosato to get it to work (I'm running an R9 280x):

GedoSato settings file said:
# The actual rendering resolution you want to use,
# and how many Hz you want the game to think it works at.
#renderWidth 5120
#renderHeight 2880
renderWidth 3840
renderHeight 2160
#renderWidth 3200
#renderHeight 1800
reportedHz 60

# The resolution you want to downsample *to*.
# Should generally always be your output device pixel size and frequency.
# Writing something not supported by the display here will probably cause a crash.
#presentWidth 2560
#presentHeight 1440
presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080
presentHz 60

# How many vertical traces to wait when presenting
# -1 = unchanged
# 0 = no vsync
# 1 = standard vsync
# 2 = half refresh rate (e.g. 30 on 60 Hz)
# 3 = 1/3rd refresh rate, etc.
presentInterval -1

Do I have to change both of those top two settings to 30? And should I change the vsync settings at all.

And finally, do I have to make any other changes in AMD Catalyst Control Center or MSI Afterburning to get everything working right

Finalow

so the Dagger is supposed to have the biggest riposte damage but I couldn't do more than 1k, and that sucks.
it's +10 but I only have something like 20 DEX, is that the issue here? I need high DEX for 2k-2.5k riposte damage?
anyone?

Great Magic Barrier, 2500+HP, Blue Tearstone and you will most likely never die in PvP.
it wouldn't be much of a problem if you couldn't heal in duels.
other than that, unless you're playing at a big disadvantage in levels that's not really a problem.

Mistel

Banned
That's actually what I was using, just wish the durability wasn't so bad. I get through a couple guys and it's almost breaking. I can go with bracing knuckle +2 but it feels like a waste of a ring slot.
Then try with any straight sword or thrusting sword you like then you should get the same attack with the warped sword.

anyone?

it wouldn't be much of a problem if you couldn't heal in duels.
other than that, unless you're playing at a big disadvantage in levels that's not really a problem.
50 str, 660 attack rating, King ultra greatsword did like 2400 damage on Havel the rock with single backstab. He was near death, finished him off while he was chugging flask. Just go with high damage weapons like the curved dragon greatsword.

Ketch

I have kept myself completely in the dark on this game. gave it some time to cool off and want to know, should I buy it or not?

Soulhouf

so the Dagger is supposed to have the biggest riposte damage but I couldn't do more than 1k, and that sucks.
it's +10 but I only have something like 20 DEX, is that the issue here? I need high DEX for 2k-2.5k riposte damage?

Don't bother with dex. Aside from a couple of weapons, it's a waste of stats putting 40 in dex.
Dagger's riposte damage is even less relevant now that Ultra Great Swords have 130 crit modifier.
To give you an example, I usually do more than 2000 damage with a Zweihander riposte against players with mid to high defense and around 1500 against fully upgraded Havels.

I have kept myself completely in the dark on this game. gave it some time to cool off and want to know, should I buy it or not?

I think the general consensus is that it's not as good as Dark Souls 1. It's got some pretty big issues. That being said, it's also got a lot of good stuff going for it as well. It's a really fun game, and I've put over 100 hours into it so far, and plan to play more. No regrets.

Just make sure your expectations are in check. There are some bugs (weapon durability on PC and hitboxes being the biggest, IMO), unbalanced PVP (but still enjoyable, to a point), and the bosses just aren't as memorable as DS1. There's also some other questionable design decisions, but those kind of come down more to personal preference.

I think the best explanation I heard when comparing it to DS1 was that it has less highs and less lows. (So no Bed of Chaos bet also no Ornstein and Smough or Kalameet/Manus/Artorias.)

Overall, I think it's a really great game and definitely worth your purchase. Some people may say otherwise, but I think most people who have played it have enjoyed it, issues aside.

Finalow

50 str, 660 attack rating, King ultra greatsword did like 2400 damage on Havel the rock with single backstab. He was near death, finished him off while he was chugging flask. Just go with high damage weapons like the curved dragon greatsword.
sure backstab but most of the time you can/they can just chug and roll before the backstab. or jester armor.
I also hate that if the game doesn't find people in the arena you took, it puts you in another one. at least on the bridge I usually have decent fights.

Don't bother with dex. Aside from a couple of weapons, it's a waste of stats putting 40 in dex.
Dagger's riposte damage is even less relevant now that Ultra Great Swords have 130 crit modifier.
To give you an example, I usually do more than 2000 damage with a Zweihander riposte against players with mid to high defense and around 1500 against fully upgraded Havels.
great swords? Ok, I'll try some of them. I was just trying to find a weapon to one shot people with parry without GRW.

is anyone around NG+ 6-7kk SM? I'd like to do some "fight club" at bel fry luna, host + red phantom vs grey phantoms that invade. should be fun.

AngryMoth

Yeah I think I'd agree that it's not quite as good as DS1 but it will still most likely be my GOTY. Definitely worth playing.

The core mechanics are the best in the series imo which is why I've enjoyed pvp a lot but it is just frustrating because of SM. Patching it out for NG+ would be a huge improvement, hopefully they do it.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Well, guess I was right in leaving DarkLurker for last. Just getting to him has been a giant pain in the ass but to finally fight him as a pure melee.....yeah. The whole ordeal has created for me that same sense of dread the first Dark Souls routinely trafficked in. Farming effigies in the first FotFG bonfire, running out of ascetics, get more in the Abyss. Madness. Despair.

Brakke

Banned
On my Platinum run... looks like I can buy all the spells I need in NG++ except Invisible Weapon from the Bell Keepers? I'm somewhere between 10 and 30 kills... is there any way to know how close I am to rank up?

UrbanRats

Started a double Caestus build (and pants only), but i'm somewhat disappointed.

Not only are these things weak, slow and with virtually zero reach, but their powerstance moveset isn't better than the single, double handed R2 of one caestus... at least so far.
Old Dragonslayer took forever 'cause i was doing like 33 to 50 damage.
Pursuer and Last Giant went down pretty fast though.

I'm not seeing any benefit though, outside of the comedic factor, they don't feel a very balanced weapon.
I got invaded and i basically knew i wasn't able to win that fight in a million years (also because i'm not particularly good, i concede).

However for the first time in my Souls history i tried to invade twice:
Once the master ran to the Dragonrider and it booted me out.
The second time the dude was with two other phantoms, and i got him to about 50% health, before the killed me.
Maybe with my Rapier i would've succeeded, who knows.

Sill, fun times.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Not only are these things weak, slow and with virtually zero reach, but their powerstance moveset isn't better than the single, double handed R2 of one caestus... at least so far.

I'm not seeing any benefit though, outside of the comedic factor, they don't feel a very balanced weapon.
I got invaded and i basically knew i wasn't able to win that fight in a million years (also because i'm not particularly good, i concede).

The second time the dude was with two other phantoms, and i got him to about 50% health, before the killed me.

Sill, fun times.

Double caestus fully upgraded with the poise breaking ring is pretty good at stun locking people with the power stance L1.

I got past Smelter Demon and am currently heading into Brightstone Cove with my boxer guy. Also shirtless.

maomaoIYP

Depends on a lot of factors, like what armor your opponent is wearing. The critical damage multiplier doesn't mean all that much in my own experience. For example the grand lance has a 160 multiplier, which (iirc), is the highest for all weapons. But my mundane +10 dagger beats it every time.
The uchigatana also has 150 critical multipliers, has a higher base damage than the dagger, but it will lose out every single time.
Also, the shadow dagger has 130 critical, but will always do a little more than the regular dagger.

Sill, fun times.

Bare Fists + Vanquisher's Seal > Double Caestus.

Such power.

Although the fact that you do 0 poise damage with bare fists and it isn't buffable is a definite negative. You'll still be doing more damage than Caestus, generally speaking, though.

I've managed to win quite a few PVP sessions with it, too. Probably largely because people aren't expecting that much damage from bare fists.

maomaoIYP

Invading in Shrine of Amana and using Silver Talismans...

Pretty sure I'm a horrible person for that.

The correct way to deal with invasions like these are 1) find a safe place and wait because as long as you are patient, time will run out for the invader. and 2) use a seed and then use a silver talisman.

UrbanRats

Double caestus fully upgraded with the poise breaking ring is pretty good at stun locking people with the power stance L1.

I got past Smelter Demon and am currently heading into Brightstone Cove with my boxer guy. Also shirtless.
I'm shirtless too, i guess it's a thing, since i was summoned by another shirtless boxer, at one point.

Wel i'll keep at it, i'll also go pick up the stone ring then.
Bare Fists + Vanquisher's Seal > Double Caestus.

Such power.

Although the fact that you do 0 poise damage with bare fists and it isn't buffable is a definite negative. You'll still be doing more damage than Caestus, generally speaking, though.

I've managed to win quite a few PVP sessions with it, too. Probably largely because people aren't expecting that much damage from bare fists.

Eh, Vanquisher is a lot of trouble to get, unless you use the Grave of Saints NPC trick.
By the time i'd get it i'd be probably burned out, i feel.

The correct way to deal with invasions like these are 1) find a safe place and wait because as long as you are patient, time will run out for the invader. and 2) use a seed and then use a silver talisman.

Well, I was the person doing the invading, which is why it qualified me as a terrible person...

The hosts all seemed fairly frazzled, just trying to get to the boss, and then I show up. Pretty dirty move, haha.

Eh, Vanquisher is a lot of trouble to get, unless you use the Grave of Saints NPC trick.
By the time i'd get it i'd be probably burned out, i feel.

Yeah, pretty much. It's really more of a NG+ item.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
If your doing caestuses then you want to infuse them with poison, they are worthless as just physical damage weapons.

maomaoIYP

Well, I was the person doing the invading, which is why it qualified me as a terrible person...

The hosts all seemed fairly frazzled, just trying to get to the boss, and then I show up. Pretty dirty move,
Haha I think a lot of players don't know how to deal with invasions. Find a safe spot, put on the RoP, and wait. If invader runs off to heal, let him, he'll run out eventually. I invade at the aerie often and sometimes I'll run into players who keep on fighting the dragons, hoping I don't find them.

Booshka

according to dark souls 2 official site
http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/inventory/index.html
out of all rings, including each variants of the same ring, ring of life protection is the third (ps3) most equiped ring worldwide. majority = casual?
out of all armors, havel piece are always top 3 except helm. majority = casual?

Majority usually does translate to Casual, especially for this game. On that point, it's correctly spelled, "Casul" when referring to Souls games.

Top 3 Helm is probably Butt Face brought to you by Smelter Demon, you should try it on.

according to dark souls 2 official site
http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/inventory/index.html
out of all rings, including each variants of the same ring, ring of life protection is the third (ps3) most equiped ring worldwide. majority = casual?
out of all armors, havel piece are always top 3 except helm. majority = casual?

The equipment is all very boring. Drangleic, Havel's and Vengarl... Folks just going for power level and not style.

Too bad they don't show most used weapon's overall instead of just by type.

NG+ co-op is a lot of fun. Players generally know what they're doing so you can zip through an area quickly pulling of some cool co-op work. And equipment among co-op players seems (at least in my experience) to be more varied and interesting than PVP equipment.

EDIT: Speaking of the Far Fire site, the stats seem kinda weird. PC has by FAR more disappeared souls than 360 and PS3, despite having a much lower total clear stat than both. (But it does have more total deaths than 360, and less than PS3.) Anybody have any thoughts as to why that would be?

Top Bottom