• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Shaded Ruins, Harvest Valley, and Lost Izalith for me. Just boring, ugly areas that weren't even difficult just artificially padded with environmental hazards. Some might add Black Gulch but I liked that area because it was full of secrets (pilgrim of dark and giants area) and unique ways of dealing with the dangers (fire in the oil pits) and is fairly non-punishing since you get 2 bonfires in such a short distance. The oil pit enemies are also nightmare fuel and all the glowing green was really cool.

fuck those statues most of all. The whole level is a gauntlet. I got tired of clearing them the first time and just sprinted to the fog door. Felt like a game show.

KingKong

Shaded Ruins, Harvest Valley, and Lost Izalith for me. Just boring, ugly areas that weren't even difficult just artificially padded with environmental hazards. Some might add Black Gulch but I liked that area because it was full of secrets (pilgrim of dark and giants area) and unique ways of dealing with the dangers (fire in the oil pits) and is fairly non-punishing since you get 2 bonfires in such a short distance. The oil pit enemies are also nightmare fuel and all the glowing green was really cool.

Yeah, I liked Black Gulch. I'm not sure if people realize this, but the statues dont respawn if you use the bonfire (just if you die/travel), so you can pretty easily tank the poison damage and slowly clear them

I actually liked Shaded Ruins and Harvest Valley. Harvest Valley especially. (But I also like Lost Izalith, except for Bed of Chaos, so there's that.) Tseldora was really the one area in DS2 that I didn't enjoy the level design or aesthetic for.

I finally gotthe screenshot I was trying to take around 20 times :p

screenshot_2014-05-29vhsr0.jpg

Awesome shot.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah I think Black Gulch looks cool, art-wise. I also liked Lost Izalith's art. Well, not the blindingly bright lava XD But the Angkor Wat architecture was really cool and unique, and I really felt the "super old city lost to the ages, buried under the core of the Earth" vibe. Too bad level-design wise (and especially boss-wise) it was kind of bad, because I really liked the art direction.

Anyone have a spare malformed skull to pass on to me?
Platform? SM? Not to mention it's uh... kind of easy to get?

Booshka

PvP as dex melee, physical damage w/ resins, no spells, medium armor (Alva)... terriblest idea? I've been insisting on sticking with it and I've had more success than I've anticipated, but I can really get wrecked against people with heavy armor and lack of healing is obviously a problem in prolonged invasions. Been thinking of at least getting a backup weapon with some elemental damage, but I guess damage output would still be pretty crappy if I don't have stats bonuses to back it up.

So yeah, reason I'm being stubborn is because my first character was so faith-focused I didn't want to go down that route again. I guess I could perhaps add some light pyromancing, just a bit of a shame Flame Weapon is tough to get, and again, without heavy stat investment damage output might still be poor.

Don't know what happened last night, maybe it was passing the 1 mil soul memory but suddenly I had multiple blue summons as well as invasions in just one evening. Lots of dying on my end, but fun.

Better idea is to get min dex requirements for the weapons you want to use, most people go to about 25 DEX for Chaos Blade, then make everything Raw. Eschew scaling and get a flat damage boost from Raw, put some consumable resins on your weapons and you will deal alright damage.

Having those spare levels from not wasting them in Dex can go to END so you can swing, roll, and sprint for much longer than most players. You will need the extra stamina to whittle down most players as they will be doing nearly twice your damage output.

It's possible though, and kinda feels like old school dex builds of Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls. Real travesty what happened to physical scaling in Dark Souls 2. I only ever really care about pure physical melee builds in Souls games, and they got the shaft in this game, so it's hard to whip up a new build with that in mind.

Z..

It's a scaling increase and conversion to physical damage any level is fine.
Yeah, but below a certain INT level, the S scaling with lower base damage will result in lower total damage than the A scaling with higher base damage, no?

Use the Staff of Amana, dude. What are you waiting for? It's the best sorcery staff in the game by far. Infuse it with magic, max it out, and watch HP bars melt even in NG+. If you have Watchdragon Parma, then you reached the area where you can find it.

Not sure but I infused it as soon as I got the sword. My int was pretty high, but then why wouldn't it be, it's a int build... xD

Blue Flame isn't bad, a small sword that can also cast sorceries and scales with int. Requires twinkling though (save those for your Staff of Wisdom if you don't have a lot) and not as strong as the MLGS. Honestly the MLGS is probably the best melee weapon for an int build. Maybe the Dragonrider Twinblade is good, I dunno. Or the black knight halberd, I think it has some int scaling but it requires heavy str.

Visit Cromwell and absolve? Agdayne is a useful NPC.

Dragonrider should be decent. But why would a mage need a bow? You can snipe with spells using the binoculars now.

I pretty much always stick to Royal Kite Shield. Low stat req, very light, no farming required (just buy from McDuff), requires normal titanite.

- I am using it. That's the whole point. It barely makes any difference at all! Am I doing something wrong? Don't have the WD Parma, only just arrived in Aldia's Keep.

- I have Blue Flame and do like it. But the scaling isn't that great. There's plenty of B scaling weapons if you infuse. Same for Dragonrider weapons. Aren't there any other A or S scaling weapons besides the MLGS?

- I killed him. Can Cromwell revive? Either way, I don't use summons other than for PvP, so Agdayne is kind of pointless for someone like me. Besides, I've been hollow since things betwixt and intend on keeping it that way until I finish this playthrough.

- Because the binoculars suck ass for aiming. I waste way too many spells thos way. Besides, I use the staff on my left hand, and aiming with R1 feels weird.

The witch staff is by far the best staff till you get the Wisdom staff, amana is slighly better but most of its sats are for miracles i think so you dont get a pure sorcerer staff like the starter one.

Mages dont use armor that often, if you are getting hit its because you are to close, stick with light armors like alva, the straid set, miracle lady armor set or the black with set are the best options for sorcerers.

Too high FTH requirement. Staff diatribution in this game is horrid if you're pure INT, as all but one of the good early ones require high FTH, which is bullshit.

I'm a spellsword, not a pure mage. MLGS is my best friend.

Finalow

Depends on a lot of factors, like what armor your opponent is wearing. The critical damage multiplier doesn't mean all that much in my own experience. For example the grand lance has a 160 multiplier, which (iirc), is the highest for all weapons. But my mundane +10 dagger beats it every time.
The uchigatana also has 150 critical multipliers, has a higher base damage than the dagger, but it will lose out every single time.
Also, the shadow dagger has 130 critical, but will always do a little more than the regular dagger.
your dagger +10 is the parrying dagger? I use that, I do not have a mundane build but I couldn't do more than 1k when I tried to use it after a parry. that's why I though you need high DEX since the weapons scales (A) with it.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Fuck you pvp netcode. I just smacked a dude down to like 10 percent..watched him run straight against a wall for ten seconds..then mysteriously i collapse of what i can only think could have been a heart attack.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
- I am using it. That's the whole point. It barely makes any difference at all! Am I doing something wrong? Don't have the WD Parma, only just arrived in Aldia's Keep.
Dammit, sorry, I meant to write Staff of Wisdom, not Amana. Total brainfart there. Staff of Wisdom is by far the best staff for sorceries, no faith requirements. Okay, so you aren't there yet. Don't worry, there will be a better one. Did you try the Witchtree branch before that? It has no faith requirement and it served me well until I got the Staff of Wisdom. I was a mostly pure mage too and it was plenty strong when upgraded.

- I have Blue Flame and do like it. But the scaling isn't that great. There's plenty of B scaling weapons if you infuse. Same for Dragonrider weapons. Aren't there any other A or S scaling weapons besides the MLGS?
I don't know, sorry.

- I killed him. Can Cromwell revive? Either way, I don't use summons other than for PvP, so Agdayne is kind of pointless for someone like me. Besides, I've been hollow since things betwixt and intend on keeping it that way until I finish this playthrough.
A good rule of thumb in Dark Souls is to not kill NPCs if you aggro them, but run away and use the pardoner. I don't know if you can speak to his tombstone or whatever. Not a big deal but he was a pretty good vendor, and he gave you his set, which is one of the best light sets of the game (looks cool too).

- Because the binoculars suck ass for aiming. I waste way too many spells thos way. Besides, I use the staff on my left hand, and aiming with R1 feels weird.
You can buy infinite amber herbs from Ornifex (might be at some point later in the game, but I know for sure you can). Spell wasting is not an issue starting mid-to-late game.

Too high FTH requirement. Staff diatribution in this game is horrid if you're pure INT, as all but one of the good early ones require high FTH, which is bullshit.
Eh? The Staff of Wisdom has no faith requirement. [Edit: can you believe it, I wrote "Amana" instead of "Wisdom" again, geez!]

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
XBX360, 33,565,977, and despite that knowledge, I can't get them to drop it.
Ohhh sorry I thought you wrote Malformed Shell, not Skull. Goddamn I need another coffee, can't write or read properly today. XD Anyway, I'm on PS3 and have no one with anywhere near that SM, so I can't help. :\

Soulhouf

Real travesty what happened to physical scaling in Dark Souls 2. I only ever really care about pure physical melee builds in Souls games, and they got the shaft in this game, so it's hard to whip up a new build with that in mind.

The scaling is actually still similar to what we have in DS1. The only thing is it's calculated off the base weapon without upgrade even when it's +10.
I'm almost convinced it's a glitch.

Booshka

The scaling is actually still similar to what we have in DS1. The only thing is it's calculated off the base weapon without upgrade even when it's +10.
I'm almost convinced it's a glitch.

Well, my major issue is that scaling through leveling isn't consistent whatsoever. Watch the scaling bonus as you go from 20-30, compared to 30-40, night and day. 20-30 has nearly no scaling bonus, whereas 30-40 is actually pretty good.

Fix that tiny little detail, and pure STR scaling would actually be pretty damn good, Dex scaling still needs work though, since it goes toward bleed and poison damage, instead of physical scaling.

I too noticed the scaling bonus for weapon upgrading does pretty much nothing as well, +10 and +0 Estoc both get 87 damage bonus from scaling at 40 STR. Upgrading a weapon should obviously increase its scaling bonus incrementally, and each new tier in upgrade materials (Titanite-Large-Chunk-Slab) should have a good bump in scaling as well. Not sure what is so hard about that.

Minamu

What's the best tool for a spell caster? I've tried hexes and miracles but never sorceries. NG+++ would be nice with spells, but which ones are good for both trash mobs and bosses?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Demon's Souls still had the best dex scaling. Dual kats or turtlestoc FTW. Didn't even need Curse Weapon to be viable, and when you painted them purple it became OP as hell.
Omg this is fucking awesome

Dude deserves all the sunlight medals.
Hahahaha that is great. I love invading the Belfry but that's a really cool idea and the video is really well made. This is the of DkSII PvP that's fun, not the Havelyn Hexers zzz.

Like many places in all three games. But yeah Shaded Ruins looks crappy. Not sure which is worse between that and Harvest Valley though. That mushy grey in the valley is a real eyesore. Shame because I like looking up towards the windmill and all, it could have been really cool. And I like the curse pots, lion warriors, witchy feel of Shaded Ruins so it had potential, it was just really not used so well. I think Shaded Ruins and Harvest Valley are my least favourite Souls areas, art direction-wise.
Agree with that, I always like going through the Shaded Ruins from a gameplay pov. But Shaded Ruins and Harvest Valley could be helped just by lightning a think, they're too plain looking to be so well lit. I think if they were darker and had moodier lightning that would help a lot without even thinking about the colour schemes used.

But I agree, as they are they're horrible and bland looking. There's some real highs and real lows in DS2, it runs the extreme of the some of the best and very worst in the series.

Omg this is fucking awesome

Dude deserves all the sunlight medals.
Love this. Would like to see more of this kind of thing.

What's the sword he used that has the special magic/wind type attack?

UrbanRats

God fuck the gutter, fuck it to hell. It's such an ugly boring area. It's so fucking pointless, why the fuck would the developers think this was a good idea? It's just so fucking lazy. Blight town is an ugly fucking area, but, goddamn replaying it and I realized I was wrong about it.

It's like they had to fill the poison-area quota.

Valley of Defilement was great, Blighttown was pretty damn good, Gutter and Black Gulch are pretty uninspired and badly designed.
Luckily super short.

I was about to go take a screenshot of Harvest Valley to show what I liked about it, but forgot I just started NG+. Oh well. Suffice it to say, I do like the overall aesthetic of the area a lot.

Soulhouf

Well, my major issue is that scaling through leveling isn't consistent whatsoever. Watch the scaling bonus as you go from 20-30, compared to 30-40, night and day. 20-30 has nearly no scaling bonus, whereas 30-40 is actually pretty good.

Fix that tiny little detail, and pure STR scaling would actually be pretty damn good, Dex scaling still needs work though, since it goes toward bleed and poison damage, instead of physical scaling.

I too noticed the scaling bonus for weapon upgrading does pretty much nothing as well, +10 and +0 Estoc both get 87 damage bonus from scaling at 40 STR. Upgrading a weapon should obviously increase its scaling bonus incrementally, and each new tier in upgrade materials (Titanite-Large-Chunk-Slab) should have a good bump in scaling as well. Not sure what is so hard about that.

Yep I noticed the weird increase change in the 20-30 range. I also agree with having a good bump in each new upgrade tier.
The fact that scaling is a flat bonus now and not based on the base damage doesn't make sense. The whole thing is a travesty like you said and makes me wonder what the designers were thinking when they implemented it. I'm sure it's easy to fix if they wanted. You don't need to be a genius to figure out that this scheme is messed out.

Like Morrigan Targaryen said, Demon's Souls had the best dex scaling.

See that tremendous increase in scaling bonus when you use that rare and precious pure Bladestone. It makes it worth the trouble of hours of farming to get it.
I miss this so bad.

Demon's Souls still had the best dex scaling. Dual kats or turtlestoc FTW. Didn't even need Curse Weapon to be viable, and when you pained them purple it became OP as hell.

Firebrand

Better idea is to get min dex requirements for the weapons you want to use, most people go to about 25 DEX for Chaos Blade, then make everything Raw. Eschew scaling and get a flat damage boost from Raw, put some consumable resins on your weapons and you will deal alright damage.

Having those spare levels from not wasting them in Dex can go to END so you can swing, roll, and sprint for much longer than most players. You will need the extra stamina to whittle down most players as they will be doing nearly twice your damage output.

It's possible though, and kinda feels like old school dex builds of Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls. Real travesty what happened to physical scaling in Dark Souls 2. I only ever really care about pure physical melee builds in Souls games, and they got the shaft in this game, so it's hard to whip up a new build with that in mind.
Hmm, I'll consider this. Thanks!

I'll admit that I usually don't put points into END after 20 when it drops to 1 per level.

Booshka

Yep I noticed the weird increase change in the 20-30 range. I also agree with having a good bump in each new upgrade tier.
The fact that scaling is a flat bonus now and not based on the base damage doesn't make sense. The whole thing is a travesty like you said and makes me wonder what the designers were thinking when they implemented it. I'm sure it's easy to fix if they wanted. You don't need to be a genius to figure out that this scheme is messed out.

Like Morrigan Targaryen said, Demon's Souls had the best dex scaling.

See that tremendous increase in scaling bonus when you use that rare and precious pure Bladestone. It makes it worth the trouble of hours of farming to get it.
I miss this so bad.

Ya same thing happens with Crushing at +5, that huge bump in damage is so satisfying. Pure Greystone is also much easier to get lol.

Z..

Eh? The Staff of Wisdom has no faith requirement. [Edit: can you believe it, I wrote "Amana" instead of "Wisdom" again, geez!]

That was a reply to Orochinagis' suggestion of Witch staff.

As for the Wisdom staff, it'll eventually be my main staff, but is there really that much of a difference to Amana? They're both S scaling, shouldn't be that drastic, right?

I miss this so bad.

I gave up on it after 7 hours wasted farming for it.

But yeah, Dex builds in DeS were the shit!

Sotha_Sil

I have just discovered the wonders of using the binoculars. So much better than the shitty lock-on system. Shame I only just discovered this near the end of NG+.

I destroyed a guy using them and Sunlight Spear. I was trying to get summoned near Lost Sinner and was invaded by a blue arbiter. Guy spawns pretty far away and has to run across the narrow bridge to get to me. I go up to the side chambers where you light the fires and snipe him on the other side of the bridge.... one shot KO, he never saw it coming. Beautiful.

What's the deal with the blue arbiters? It seems like I'm getting invaded every couple of minutes. I spent a lot of souls absolving my sins, and that did nothing. They have a knack of spawning at the worst possible moments, too.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Absolving your sins only ceases NPC aggression, it doesn't erase your sin. So if you've invaded a lot, killed NPCs etc. whether it was in NG or your current play, you will be invaded until you have been slain enough times that your sin level is reduced. That is the only way you will stop getting invaded.

Durante

That was a reply to Orochinagis' suggestion of Witch staff.

As for the Wisdom staff, it'll eventually be my main staff, but is there really that much of a difference to Amana? They're both S scaling, shouldn't be that drastic, right?
Actually, if you are human, Amana is superior.

Minamu

Apparently it's possible to item dupe now in the most silly way imaginable, according to the new speedrun by Distortion. Old trick perhaps but first I've seen or heard of it

Sotha_Sil

Absolving your sins only ceases NPC aggression, it doesn't erase your sin. So if you've invaded a lot, killed NPCs etc. whether it was in NG or your current play, you will be invaded until you have been slain enough times that your sin level is reduced. That is the only way you will stop getting invaded.

I must have wracked up a lot of sin. I probably kill them more than they kill me, but I've still died a number of times to them.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Starting to get a little tired of helping people as a sunbro. Wish you could do unlimited low level invading like DkS1. Might actually reinstall it to get my fix.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Holy Shitballs. Darklurker, you effigy wasting asshole. Goddamn. So close that time. So damn close.

Real last boss? Real last boss.

wickfut

Banned
Agree with that, I always like going through the Shaded Ruins from a gameplay pov. But Shaded Ruins and Harvest Valley could be helped just by lightning a think, they're too plain looking to be so well lit. I think if they were darker and had moodier lightning that would help a lot without even thinking about the colour schemes used.

But I agree, as they are they're horrible and bland looking. There's some real highs and real lows in DS2, it runs the extreme of the some of the best and very worst in the series.

You mean like this?

:)

Top Bottom