• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

maomaoIYP

Does anyone know what this is referring to?

Powerstancing specific weapons allows the player to swing them much faster than you should be able to. For example greatsword and lion greataxe power stanced gives the axe power stance swing animation instead of the ultra greatsword one.

maomaoIYP

Nice new calibrations. I didn't actually have an issue with GRS or WoG, but I'm ok with the changes. Doesn't really affect my build though, except for the monastery scimitar which I only used against santier's wielders anyway.

Durante

I like all the changes except for the great resonant soul damage reduction. I never even used the spell, but I feel like it was already balanced compared to the other magic types considering its drawbacks.

I had to see a video of the Monastery Scimitar to see what was so bad about it. WOW it parries startup frames on weapons, and I thought the regular Scimitar parry was instant.

Durante

You can make videos with silly narration about a lot of things. Yes, you can do a lot of damage with Hexes if you create an entire build around it. The same is true for weapons and all the other magic types.

The "resonant" type spells should do somewhat more damage fully specced out than comparable spells in other schools (e.g. Sunlight Spear), otherwise the soul cost is imbalanced.

Patch looks glorious. I've been practicing parrying with normal weapons for a long time (even if I used Monastery here and there..but almost exclusively on Santier's users). Glad for all those changes..I used Syan's too on a few chars, which is unfortunate, but the stabbing motion (on just about every weapon) is pretty fucked.

You can make videos with silly narration about a lot of things. Yes, you can do a lot of damage with Hexes if you create an entire build around it. The same is true for weapons and all the other magic types.

The "resonant" type spells should do somewhat more damage fully specced out than comparable spells in other schools (e.g. Sunlight Spear), otherwise the soul cost is imbalanced.

Yeah, I never had an issue with hexes. Not my problem if people can't dodge, or they can't use a Trangressor's shield. So many ways you can nullify dark damage, and at no cost to your build. The only thing that was broken was Batfogging, but at least that's being fixed.

Timmy00

I like all the changes except for the great resonant soul damage reduction. I never even used the spell, but I feel like it was already balanced compared to the other magic types considering its drawbacks.

I disagree. The biggest drawback (other than the stats requirement which isn't that big imo) is losing 500 souls which isn't really much, especially late game and in NG+. In pvp it's especially dangerous unless the guy you're fighting is using great magic barrier and gear with a lot of dark defense. It also has 8 cast by default which is much more than other high tier magic. The only spell that rivals it in damage I believe is Sunlight spear which you only get 3 uses (more with higher attunement or that ring) and takes a bit longer to cast/very predictable, Soul Geyser (which takes forever to cast. It requires only 1 slot though and does more damage.), and maybe Soul Crystal Spear (I haven't used that much so I can't judge.). The damage is a bit much considering how much the spell can be used and how fast it can be cast. Just my thoughts on the spell though. :p

I don't have a problem fighting it, magic is easy in general to dodge, but the spell should have a few more drawbacks imo.

Durante

Yeah, I never had an issue with hexes. Not my problem if people can't dodge, or they can't use a Trangressor's shield. So many ways you can nullify dark damage, and at no cost to your build. The only thing that was broken was Batfogging, but at least that's being fixed.
I agree. I think magic is generally underpowered in late-game PvP actually, since everything hard-hitting is also easy to dodge.

maomaoIYP

I agree. I think magic is generally underpowered in late-game PvP actually, since everything hard-hitting is also easy to dodge.

A lot of people still don't know how to dodge affinity properly though, even at max tier SM.

^ Ok that's getting a little TOO ridiculous.

Ya guys, Demon's and Dark 1 were totally as broken as this game is.

/sarcasm

This game needs so much work.

There are definitely some problems with the game, but I don't really see the issue with the skywalking bug personally. It's not something that's going to happen to you in regular play unless you know what you're doing. (Unless people are abusing it in PVP?) The weapon durability and hitbox things are much bigger issues for me, since they affect my regular gameplay.

That being said, I don't really enjoy watching speedruns with this kind of huge sequence breaking via bugs. I'll stick with watching all bosses runs until/if From fixes it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Ya guys, Demon's and Dark 1 were totally as broken as this game is.

/sarcasm

This game needs so much work.

This is such an obscure glitch I don't think this falls into "game so broken" category. For most people playing, if this happens to them, they do a roll or jumping attack or whatever and everythings back to normal.

The bino boosting is a much more significant glitch, but sort of like you were saying, it's not like DeS and DaS didn't have significant bugs of their own, like moveset swapping in DaS.

Those patch notes made me giggle, it's like a list of every weapon that people were moaning about being OP got whacked with the nerf hammer. I guess they were all OP if everyone was saying so, but the masses will just move on to the next big thing once someone figures it out and tells the world about it.

I'd rather see them fix the bigger problems of all the messy glitches and SM, but I guess the nerfs to please the pvp crowd takes presidence.

aravuus

Those patch notes made me giggle, it's like a list of every weapon that people were moaning about being OP got whacked with the nerf hammer. I guess they were all OP if everyone was saying so, but the masses will just move on to the next big thing once someone figures it out and tells the world about it.

I'd rather see them fix the bigger problems of all the messy glitches and SM, but I guess the nerfs to please the pvp crowd takes presidence.

Eh, it'll make the game more enjoyable for at least a couple of days. Unfortunately, I won't be around to play the game in that period lol.

But yeah, I really wish they'd fix/get rid of SM already

Soulhouf

Dark Souls 2 Patch Notes JP June 3 Release

Need a translator, here is the reddit translation page.

Reddit Translation for DkS2 Patch

EDIT: Ya this is a Calibration, not a full blown patch, my mistake.

Pretty good balancing, except for the dark magic nerf IMO. These spells are powerful but they have an additional cost that justifies that extra power (souls and HP cost).
A more fitting balance would be to increase the cost, not decrease the power because that will make other spells that have no cost to be more effective. Not to mention that these spells are so easy to dodge in PvP.
This seems a more panic mode nerf rather than balancing.

Other than that, I'm disappointed that Guardian Dragon and Mirror Knight won't get any boost. These 2 bosses are so weak...

Ruuppa

Seanspeed

Banned
Anybody got a good strategy for dealing with the Turtle Knights in the Iron Keep? These guys are brutal, particularly since many of them have to be dealt with in narrow passages.

I'm a melee character, using a Bastard Sword +8 and Drangleic shield.

I can get through them sometimes, but its always hit and miss. I'm still dying a lot to them and its making me weary of going human or anything as there's a good chance it'll go to waste. Their overhead smash gets me a lot since blocking does not stop from being flattened and taking a huge chunk of health, but it doesn't feel like there's any way to evade it in the narrow areas. Cant exactly roll to the side.

bigol

Officially translated regulation notes

-regulation ver.1.06 note-

[schedule]
June 2, 2014 (Monday) at 17:00

[contents]
-Fixed so that the poison damage of the weapon “Bad Staff” occurs only
during the close distance attack.The poison damage doesn’t occur when the spell is used.
-The motion, damage amount, and balance during reinforcement of
the weapon“Avelyn”are adjusted.
-The motion, damage amount and balance of the weapon “Syan's Halberd”are adjusted.
-The damage amount, damage amount to the stamina, and balance
during reinforcement of the weapon “Santier's Spear” are adjusted.
-The motion of the weapon “Pursuer's Greatsword” is adjusted.
-The parameters of the armor “Cale's Leather Armor” and “Cale's Shoes” are adjusted.
-The hexes correction value of the ring “Abyss Seal” is adjusted.
-The damage amount balance of the spell “Great Resonant Soul” is adjusted.
-The damage amount balance of the spell “Wrath of the Gods” is adjusted.
-The damage increasing amount of the spell “Resonant Weapon” is adjusted.
-The damage increasing amount of the spell “Flame Weapon” is adjusted.
-The motion of the Thrusting Sword category weapons is adjusted.
-The Dual Wield attacking motion of the Greataxe category weapons is adjusted.
-The Parry motion of Curved Sword category weapon is adjusted.
-The balance of the weapon enchant by spell is adjusted.
-The affection degree to the spell effective time is adjusted to
fluctuate depending on the status value.

After applying the regulation, the following will be displayed on the upper right corner of the
title screen. Regulation [1.05 ⇒ 1.06]

Source

http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/

Minamu

RIP my RW Dark Santier's Spear+5 with RS/GRS :( Fun while it lasted. In my hands, it wasn't a very good combo for pvp anyway, but it rocked in pve...

Ruuppa

Anybody got a good strategy for dealing with the Turtle Knights in the Iron Keep? These guys are brutal, particularly since many of them have to be dealt with in narrow passages.

I can get through them sometimes, but its always hit and miss. I'm still dying a lot to them and its making me weary of going human or anything as there's a good chance it'll go to waste. Their overhead smash gets me a lot since blocking does not stop from being flattened and taking a huge chunk of health, but it doesn't feel like there's any way to evade it in the narrow areas. Cant exactly roll to the side.

When they wind up the hit, roll backwards once or twice, depending on your equip weight. Then just move forward and bong them on the head and repeat, you should be able to do it with the Bastard Sword even if you got slowed. If you have the stamina for it, you can try to rollstab at them, but I rarely risk that.

The hitbox on the slam can take you by surprise, so roll backwards a good time before they swing.

Finalow

fucking finally, FromSoft?
I would have not nerfed some of those things but whatever. (had no problem to deal with avelyns or s.spears) And rip BAT fucking STAFF. I've had fun with the instant poison with dark cloud. = (
at least they're going to fix some things now.

one day pvp will be good, believe.

GRS is the best projectile spell in the game, the 500 souls spent drawback is meaningless when you're in ng+ and you start doing only pvp.

but yeah it's very easy to dodge and punish so the nerf wasn't really necessary.

that video is just for fun, it doesn't actually mean shit. I could do the same with awful sorceries and make them look op. "hey look how I killed these nabs with shitty armor and builds that can't dodge my spellz lolz"
dark magic isn't "so good" 'cause of GRS.

Soulhouf

First attempt for no death run failed. Giant King got me.
I attempted it in NG with a mace a weapon. I guess I will do what everyone else is doing in speedruns, rock a spell caster build to avoid bad surprises :(
For a fresh run dark magic would be the better one I guess since you have access to the resonant spells very early.

Ruuppa

First attempt for no death run failed. Giant King got me.
I attempted it in NG with a mace a weapon. I guess I will do what everyone else is doing in speedruns, rock a spell caster build to avoid bad surprises :(
For a fresh run dark magic would be the better one I guess since you have access to the resonant spells very early.

At least your no death run failed on a boss.. I keep rolling off of cliffs or something equally stupid on mine. Last one failed when I tried to rush the Sinner's Rise elevator, and got shot in the head and staggered off of it.

Finalow

deancry2.gif

Mistel

Banned

You can get them to follow you to a more open area or use strike damage and kill them with ease.

Soulhouf

At least your no death run failed on a boss.. I keep rolling off of cliffs or something equally stupid on mine. Last one failed when I tried to rush the Sinner's Rise elevator, and got shot in the head and staggered off of it.

Well, it sucks to die that way but even more so when you die so close to the end <_<

Finally finished the game.

I really liked it but.

This game feels cheap. Especially the hit boxes, I only played and finished DS1 like at the start of this year but I don't remember hitboxes ever wronging me a single time even though it was only months ago.

In DS2 I can name tons off the top of my head, taking damage from those double club giants even though I wasn't even close to the swing, getting hit by smelters vertical smash even though I didn't get touched by it, getting killed by ancient dragons stomp even though I wasn't even near the foot, (this is especially annoying when his foot clips/sinks through the ground), Getting hit by those demon dogs frontal in gutter even though I'm on his ass, Taking damage from those grym dwarf on their vertical swing even though I'm either perpendicular to it or behind them, getting hit by the sentinal's shield throw even though I obviously didn't.

Then there's stuff where mobs like to turn on a dime, it's so dumb. My only death in earthen peak was to one of those headless ninja guys that decided to turn 90 degrees mid air during the leap attack thing. The tracking was the stupidest thing I've seen this year.

But even with all this cheap shit it's not very hard, compared to DS1 at least, where everything felt fair AND hard. As someone who's only played both Dark Souls games this year (DS1 in late Jan, DS2 this month), but pure mechanics this definitely does feel B team compared to DS1.

It's still better than 99% of video games out there though, and a much better PC port, and netcode that actually works (couldn't even invade once on GFWL).

/rant

Booshka

In my experience, dedicated speedrunning can make most games look completely broken.

super mario 64 is also broken

I am speaking directly on a comparison of Speedruns of all the Souls games. Go watch Demon's and Dark 1 speedruns and there are no where near as broken as this run is.

Even Kiln Skip Dark Souls 1 wasn't that bad, it didn't completely out of bounds the whole game, you had to at least kill Smough and Ornstein before glitching into the Kiln. Dark 1 Any% is really good right now, you fight all of the necessary bosses you should have to fight, and those fights are mostly pure melee. Demon's is using OP sorcery, but it's not a guy flying all over the map, sprinting with binoculars and out of bounds for the majority of the run.

Watching Dark 2 runs I couldn't help but be reminded of the World Collision data that was posted about a month ago, and how areas were seemingly just placed within and on top of each other haphazardly.

Top Bottom