• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Booshka

Unless it's been shown here already, may I present to you, The Wrath of Twinkletoes

I expected this to happen eventually, and although it takes a lot of effort and a dedicated friend or friends to be complicit in your evil actions, it's still gaming the system and breaking down the entire soul memory mechanic.

Which is why I thought a gear check and player rating system would be much better for player matching. Your character would get an overall rating based on your Soul level, your gear equipped and how well upgraded that gear was. There would then be different classes that people could match into based on that gear and level rating. Similar to how rating a Car and its upgrades in a Racing game, to determine its class and which races you can enter. A Souls character rating would determine who you could invade and co op with, or who could invade you.

I imagine this is wildly complicated to code, but I think with a lot of work, then tweaking to the rating system over time, it could probably solve the problem far better than Soul Memory tries to.

That way I could still have a low level build and invade/help people even though I have accrued millions of souls. I would just have to use marginally upgraded gear, but because skill is what really matters, I would still be effective in both instances. Maybe just maybe, some of those early level invasions will actually be enjoyed by the new players, because their invader killed them with a +3 Longsword instead of a Flame Weapon Fire infused +10 Claymore.

Firebrand

So how about that soul memory... havel with double avelyns at 50K soul memory in FotFG, lol. They didn't think to maybe remove item trading?

Ruuppa

I expected this to happen eventually, and although it takes a lot of effort and a dedicated friend or friends to be complicit in your evil actions, it's still gaming the system and breaking down the entire soul memory mechanic.

Which is why I thought a gear check and player rating system would be much better for player matching. Your character would get an overall rating based on your Soul level, your gear equipped and how well upgraded that gear was. There would then be different classes that people could match into based on that gear and level rating. Similar to how rating a Car and its upgrades in a Racing game, to determine its class and which races you can enter. A Souls character rating would determine who you could invade and co op with, or who could invade you.

I imagine this is wildly complicated to code, but I think with a lot of work, then tweaking to the rating system over time, it could probably solve the problem far better than Soul Memory tries to.

That way I could still have a low level build and invade/help people even though I have accrued millions of souls. I would just have to use marginally upgraded gear, but because skill is what really matters, I would still be effective in both instances. Maybe just maybe, some of those early level invasions will actually be enjoyed by the new players, because their invader killed them with a +3 Longsword instead of a Flame Weapon Fire infused +10 Claymore.

There are ways to game even a gear-check system. Say the gear-check occurs when you attempt to invade: Drop your +10 super-gear on the ground, and when you get the invasion, pick them up again. Depends on how it would be implemented.

Souls *used* might prove a good metric, but it has its own problems at high level.

If they manage to make a gear-check system that can't be (easily) gamed, then that and SL would be the best metric to use, since those would accurately depict your power-level. Except for spells, I guess.

Most definitely I'm on 360 by the way. I'd love a partner in crime to aid with the slaughter.

Dang, PC here. I might try ferrying stuff over with an accomplice, if I can turn him to my nefarious side.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Or they could have just made it to where you could not drop equipment for other players. I don't like Soul Memory but since that is the basket that matchmaking has been placed in you might as well cover your bases.

Ruuppa

Or they could have just made it to where you could not drop equipment for other players. I don't like Soul Memory but since that is the basket that matchmaking has been placed in you might as well cover your bases.

Next patch, just you wait. Why fix the underlying issues when you can apply a bandaid?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Next patch, just you wait. Why fix the underlying issues when you can apply a bandaid?
I don't think FROM will ever scrap soul memory so it's either that or nothing. Given the nerfs they just rolled out for Bat Staff, Santier's, Avelin and OP Hex spells it's quite possible they will consider changing the item drops between players if twinks begin to become a big issue.

Mistel

Banned
And stop people from trading equipment completely?
Dang, PC here. I might try ferrying stuff over with an accomplice, if I can turn him to my nefarious side.
Well that's a shame.

Booshka

There are ways to game even a gear-check system. Say the gear-check occurs when you attempt to invade: Drop your +10 super-gear on the ground, and when you get the invasion, pick them up again. Depends on how it would be implemented.

Souls *used* might prove a good metric, but it has its own problems at high level.

If they manage to make a gear-check system that can't be (easily) gamed, then that and SL would be the best metric to use, since those would accurately depict your power-level. Except for spells, I guess.

*Attempt to Invade another world*

*Yes*

Now when you press your start menu while waiting for an invasion to connect, your only two menu options are Cancel Invasion or Quit Game. You can't change your gear because the option is greyed out. You can still use consumables like healing and such for combat while you wait for invasion to connect.

When you put your summon sign down, if you change your gear that puts you in a higher, but not lower tier, your summon sign gets automatically refreshed into another tier of player matching.

I think there are ways to figure this out, all of it sounds wildly complicated, but if they are gonna go so far as to implement Soul Memory, then why don't they really go for it. Oh and try to put some player stats server side too, so it's much harder to cheat.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
And stop people from trading equipment completely?

Well that's a shame.
I don't think FROM are stupid, but the system they have with Soul Memory is misguided. So I think they knew this backdoor was possible with trading equipment and erred on the side of lenience, in favor of equipment trading while accepting the possibility that it could be abused.

Ruuppa

*Attempt to Invade another world*

*Yes*

Now when you press your start menu while waiting for an invasion to connect, your only two menu options are Cancel Invasion or Quit Game. You can't change your gear because the option is greyed out. You can still use consumables like healing and such for combat.

If you put your summon sign down, if you change your gear that puts you in a higher, but not lower tier, your summon sign gets automatically refreshed into another tier of player matching.

I think there are ways to figure this out, all of it sounds wildly complicated, but if they are gonna go so far as to implement Soul Memory, then why don't they really go for it. Oh and try to put some player stats server side too, so it's much harder to cheat.

I would be really happy if they did that, but seeing how utterly simplistic SM turned out to be, I have very little hope of that happening..

if (SM < 10000){
SMTier = 1;
}

if (him.SMTier <= you.SMTier + 5 && him.SMTier >= you.SMTier - 5){
add_him_to_invadeable_list();
}

Or something.

How is it possible?

Edit: Let me guess, interchanging items in PvP arena?

You can drop items when co-opping or PVPing. Then it's just a matter of passing items from a higher SM tier to a lower SM tier and continue that all the way to the lowest tier.

There are 41 tiers, and with Small White Soapstone and Name-Engraved Ring you can summon 5 tiers below you, so it'll only take like, 8 exchanges to get to the bottom.

Mistel

Banned
I don't think FROM are stupid, but the system they have with Soul Memory is misguided. So I think they knew this backdoor was possible with trading equipment and erred on the side of lenience, in favor of equipment trading while accepting the possibility that it could be abused.
Soul memory is very misguided compared to SL it is far worse I think. Equipment trading is a perfectly fine thing to do so I can understand why they were lenient.
Why would you want that?
Evil is real.
Evil would be full max havel with a greatsheild.

Booshka

Soul memory is very misguided compared to SL it is far worse I think. Equipment trading is a perfectly fine thing to do so I can understand why they were lenient.

Why would you want that?

Evil would be full max havel with a greatsheild.

Why would you need a Greatshield against noobs, you don't need to block anything, just go in and melt them scrubs.

People in this thread are pretty reasonable, but elsewhere on the internet there sure are some people that hate Dark Souls 2 with a fiery passion...I agree that it has issues, and I'm totally fine with discussing it's good and bad traits, but man. Some of the comments I've seen would make you think it's the worst game to come out in the past 5 years. I'm totally fine with people not liking the game, but it's irritating when it gets into "stop liking what I don't like!" territory.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't see how this twinking thing could be fun unless you're a dick, but meh.
pretty much, but some people enjoy that i guess

reality is that fault in the end lies at from for making a system to easy to break. they should just disable trades, it's a quick fix and matchmaking based on your equipment+soul level would be very nice but it's not gonna happen, unfortunately

Riposte

FROM solutions are dumb, clearly. If gear is a problem then deal with it directly. Scale their effect, add a minimum soul level requirement, etc.

zkylon

zkylewd
Sounds ironc since everyone praised the dude who invades and kills bellbros instead of the host
everyone is generalizing

i don't appreciate anyone coming and ruining my game for their own amusement, i'm sure whoever finds issue with this would find issue with undercover sunbros/bellbros/ratbros (edit: way to throw me under the bus morrigan lol i shouldn't have spoke without watching the vid)

regular invasions obviously don't count because we all signed up for it, but twinking or griefing sucks, no two ways around it

Merely using the tools provided. I'm pretty sure a little invasion doesn't hurt them much.
yea i'm sure they're totally cool with you shitting at their game :)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Why should I have a problem with the red invader who kills Bellbros? It's not an exploit, red invaders being able to target any other player is a feature, not a bug or unintended consequence.
regular invasions obviously don't count because we all signed up for it, but twinking or griefing sucks, no two ways around it
Yup. I don't care if people do it or enjoy it, all I'm saying is that it makes you a dick (and I fail to see how it can be fun except if you're a dick; it's not for the challenge, it's not for the invasion/gameplay reward, it's not for a good fight, it's purely to crush someone who has no chance of fighting back). I'm not sure why anyone would protest that.

Mogwai

What! I just discovered that the pool of poison outside the first bonfire in Harvest Valley has disappeared now that I revisited the area...

EasyMode

Sounds ironc since everyone praised the dude who invades and kills bellbros instead of the host

I don't see the irony. Belfry invasions are often stacked against the host. The guy in the video was just balancing the scales.

Twinking is also stacked against the host, to the point where he or she doesn't stand a realistic chance. I don't see any conflict between praising the red belfry phantom and not liking twinks.

zkylon

zkylewd
Why should I have a problem with the red invader who kills Bellbros? It's not an exploit, red invaders being able to target any other player is a feature, not a bug or unintended consequence.
do you have a link to the bellbros thing?

i thought it was like that undercover sunbro dude that just aggro'd a bunch of enemies to make the host die or something

Yup. I don't care if people do it or enjoy it, all I'm saying is that it makes you a dick (and I fail to see how it can be fun except if you're a dick; it's not for the challenge, it's not for the invasion/gameplay reward, it's not for a good fight, it's purely to crush someone who has no chance of fighting back). I'm not sure why anyone would protest that.
yup, i used to like cheating in counterstrike when i was like 12 but you know, grow up :p

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
do you have a link to the bellbros thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTHnNvr5U6k
FWIW, I like the video not just because of the idea but because the video itself is well made and entertaining. But yeah this player isn't being a dick at all and he's not using an exploit. So I have no idea where this comparison to borderline-cheating is coming from.

yup, i used to like cheating in counterstrike when i was like 12 but you know, grow up :p
lol

Edit:
Hey it's not cheating if you're using the tools/opportunities presented to you!

/crap excuse
I seem to remember people actually saying that as a defense of running Firestorm back in the Demon's Souls days. Hah.

FWIW, I like the video not just because of the idea but because the video itself is well made and entertaining. But yeah this player isn't being a dick at all and he's not using an exploit. So I have no idea where this comparison to borderline-cheating is coming from.

Agreed. I love these well made DS2 videos like this one and the FoTG blending in one. Love the on screen text.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Anybody got a good strategy for dealing with the Turtle Knights in the Iron Keep? These guys are brutal, particularly since many of them have to be dealt with in narrow passages.

I'm a melee character, using a Bastard Sword +8 and Drangleic shield.

I can get through them sometimes, but its always hit and miss. I'm still dying a lot to them and its making me weary of going human or anything as there's a good chance it'll go to waste. Their overhead smash gets me a lot since blocking does not stop from being flattened and taking a huge chunk of health, but it doesn't feel like there's any way to evade it in the narrow areas. Cant exactly roll to the side.

Rolling is incredibly useful. Also, this might sound crazy, but exploit those invincibility frames. Roll towards them when they swing, not away. If you time it right, your invincibility frames will protect you from the attack and you'll have a ton of time to bash away at them.

Rolling is incredibly useful. Also, this might sound crazy, but exploit those invincibility frames. Roll towards them when they swing, not away. If you time it right, your invincibility frames will protect you from the attack and you'll have a ton of time to bash away at them.

Rolling into enemy attacks can be so useful. It's also, in my opinion, the best way to dodge magic attacks -- particularly the homing ones.

Jaeger

Two major generous Souls players gave me the Malformed Skull (holy shit at the damage), and the Drakekeeper's Great Hammer.

The Skull breaks so easy though. You have to pretty much use that ring to keep it alive in a PVP match.

zkylon

zkylewd

ah ok i thought it was like the undercover sunbro video, which i thought it was funny, but dickish nonetheless

Mistel

Banned
Two major generous Souls players gave me the Malformed Skull (holy shit at the damage), and the Drakekeeper's Great Hammer.

The Skull breaks so easy though. You have to pretty much use that ring to keep it alive in a PVP match.
If you infuse the malformed skull it gains physical damage.

Top Bottom