• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

I'm surprised nobody has posted this yet:

Patch 1.05 incoming. Looks to be fixing binoboosting and skywalking. Cool stuff. Confirms that they are actually working on patching the game -- hopefully they're working on some of the bigger issues (60 FPS bugs), although I can understand they would take more time.

Mistel

Banned
Mytha has 100 buildup when +5, and Mail Breaker (as almost all +10 Poison weapons) has 140. Mytha's benefit is only in the Toxic buildup.
Huh that's intresting I've been using Mytha's as as you say has both poison and toxic buildup with my pair.

Ruuppa

Patch 1.05 incoming. Looks to be fixing binoboosting and skywalking. Cool stuff. Confirms that they are actually working on patching the game -- hopefully they're working on some of the bigger issues (60 FPS bugs), although I can understand they would take more time.

Welp, time to binoboost and skywalk now before it's too late. Such fun glitches they were, RIP.

Toxi

Banned
Use a torch.
Oh wow, this shows how little I know. I just explored blind.

awwwwwww :(

I know game devs don't like glitches, but that was such a fun glitch.

Ruuppa

Oh wow, this shows how little I know. I just explored blind.

awwwwwww :(

I know game devs don't like glitches, but that was such a fun glitch.

After binoboosting and skywalking are fixed, the current speedrun times can never, ever be broken.

After binoboosting and skywalking are fixed, the current speedrun times can never, ever be broken.

They'll use old versions of the game, probably. I believe some speedrunners were even doing that this week after the 1.06 calibration nerfs (since a lot of them rely on GRS).

But hopefully we'll get back to interesting any% runs that don't rely on skipping 90% of the game by walking on the sky. =P (I don't find those very fun, which is why I've been preferring all bosses runs.) I didn't really mind binoboosting, though.

Ruuppa

They'll use old versions of the game, probably. I believe some speedrunners were even doing that this week after the 1.06 calibration nerfs (since a lot of them rely on GRS).

But hopefully we'll get back to interesting any% runs that don't rely on skipping 90% of the game by walking on the sky. =P (I don't find those very fun, which is why I've been preferring all bosses runs.) I didn't really mind binoboosting, though.

The big skips aren't too fun, agreed. All bosses runs are interesting, because you learn a lot of stuff on how to beat the bosses from them. Unless it's just GRS GRS Climax Pop-a-soul, repeat.

BigAT

Any recommendations on what boss souls gear to trade in for? I'm about to go to NG+ and I want to know if I should get any before resetting. I'm a STR-build melee that's currently using a Dragonslayer's Crescent Axe +5 and Havel's Shield.

Any recommendations on what boss souls gear to trade in for? I'm about to go to NG+ and I want to know if I should get any before resetting. I'm a STR-build melee that's currently using a Dragonslayer's Crescent Axe +5 and Havel's Shield.

Personally, I just traded in all my Boss Souls on the off chance that I want to try out some of the weapons for fun later. Souls are easy to come by, so I'd rather have all the weapons at my disposal, just in case I want one.

That being said, I haven't really used any of my boss weapons yet, so I can't actually give any advice to your specific question. Sorry!

Ruuppa

Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword is pretty neat, and so is Smelter Demon's Sword.

Drakewing Ultra Greatsword is insaaaaaaaaaaanely fun.

Defenders great sword is also insanely good for a faith/str built.

Ruuppa

Drakewing Ultra Greatsword is insaaaaaaaaaaanely fun.

Defenders great sword is also insanely good for a faith/str built.

Just slap a Lightning infusion on Defender's, use the built-in buff and watch it rip through everything. So many duels won just by spamming R1 while the opponent is trying to roll in for a backstab..

Mistel

Banned
A pursuer ultra greatsword B/D/B scaling with 273/273 damage at max. Or slightly easier to get Gyrm axe infused with lightning B/E/B scaling 266/266 damage at max.

Is there any advantage to splitting between Faith and Intellligence for infusing or should I just focus on one of them? I don't see the advantage of Dark in PVE, and Lightning scales with Faith.

SoldnerKei

Pure physical ultra great swords are pretty good in PvP.

yeah, that's for sure, I have been using the persuer sword and it's pretty good, but when I change to nimbler weapons I have like 15 STR points that dosen't seem to add much damage, so perhaps I need to add even more str or just stick to greatswords or katanas

Mistel

Banned
yeah, that's for sure, I have been using the persuer sword and it's pretty good, but when I change to nimbler weapons I have like 15 STR points that dosen't seem to add much damage, so perhaps I need to add even more str or just stick to greatswords or katanas
Not really it's all about the scaling an ultra greatsword like the pursuer will benefit from strength more than a katana will. You should experiment to find weapons you like that make the best use of your stats.

Myomoto

Most the of boss weapons are kind of lacklustre, but on the other hand souls are so stupidly easy to come by that you might as well just craft the weapons/spells.

Sullichin

Nice. This + the recent calibration shows that they're paying attention.

I'm really looking forward to the DLC! I want more armour and weapons for fashion souls.

Also, the Steam store page for the DLC season pass recommends 14GB of RAM. I'd better upgrade! :p

Minamu

Me neither. Either the lore doesn't match reality or perhaps physical damage take precedent over lightning but with some form of wacky scaling?

I heard that Faith didn't scale very well, but I have no solid proof.

Actually I wish there was a list of how well any of the stats scale to weapons.

Redid stats so I could use Sunlight Blade and started hitting an Old Knight again.
30 Str 32 Dex 40 Faith

Sunlight Blade Lightning Claymore +10: 415 damage
Gold Pine Resin Claymore +10: 408 damage

I really have no idea how to optimize this melee character.

RedSwirl

Just decided I don't really need any of the boss soul weapons. I'll trade for one of them just in case, but I think I'm gonna go ahead and consume all the boss souls I've got so far.

I asked this before, but what's the breakoff point where it's advised you should stop investing in Endurance or Vitality? I'm talking in terms of upgrading stamina and equip load.

And although I've done with a DEX build so far (DEX is at 60 right now and I'm not going any higher), should I start investing in STR?

Edit: I should add I'm not gonna be messing around with armor that's too heavy. I'm still using the starting warrior set.

Coldsun

Banned
Already bought the DLC season pass. I'm a sucker, what can I say. I love this game.

Completed the game with no deaths, and one with no bonfires. Now my goal is no bonfires, no deaths, just fists, before the DLC comes out.

Levyne

Banned
Started a NG so that I can have a character parked at the end of the first go through for the DLC. First time using a mage.

Feel like I'm getting better at this game, beat early boss
pursuer
without a shield. I know for some of you pros that sounds ridiculously easy, but it is a bit of a confidence booster for me.

Mistel

Banned
Redid stats so I could use Sunlight Blade and started hitting an Old Knight again.
30 Str 32 Dex 40 Faith

Sunlight Blade Lightning Claymore +10: 415 damage
Gold Pine Resin Claymore +10: 408 damage

I really have no idea how to optimize this melee character.
Resins mean you are more versatile overall so I would do that.

Old knights aren't weak to lightning at all the only thing I found that was on multiple sights is their weakness to strike and magic.

I'm just trying to put as many weapons as I can on this character before NG++. I've tried probably 3 variations of Int/ Faith setups for infusion and the difference has been negligible compared to just Mastodon Halberd + resin or power stance Warped Sword. Of course magic rolls over everything I can do, but I already have a magic character.

PranooY

Woah, Binoculars are crazy useful for spell users.
I was having trouble with the four Salamanders which guards the Flame Quartz Ring (required for Iron Keep) in Forest of fallen giants. Killed 'em all by spamming spells in first person view without lock. :)

Edit: Any ring that helps you walk on lava in Iron Keep to collect goodies? IIRC Dark Souls had one.

I was having trouble with the four Salamanders which guards the Flame Quartz Ring (required for Iron Keep) in Forest of fallen giants. Killed 'em all by spamming spells in first person view without lock. :)

Edit: Any ring that helps you walk on lava in Iron Keep to collect goodies? IIRC Dark Souls had one.

Just the fire quartz ring to increase base Fire Def. Although, that isn't enough to walk on the fire in Iron Keep. You need the ring, plus some good fire def armor, Flash Sweat, roll in the water vases provided and maybe even use a small orange burr.

There is one yes, the pyromancy lady sell one of the rings and there is another one in the iron keep. The smelter demon armor and the Capitan arone armor gives you fire resistance too.

Started a NG so that I can have a character parked at the end of the first go through for the DLC. First time using a mage.

Feel like I'm getting better at this game, beat early boss
pursuer
without a shield. I know for some of you pros that sounds ridiculously easy, but it is a bit of a confidence booster for me.

Unless the way to unlock the DLC requires a new character or possibly is unable to unlock at end-game because certain events/bosses killed had already occurred. I am just parking everything for now. Who knows how it unlocks, I just hope it's not as convoluted as AotA.

Unless the way to unlock the DLC requires a new character or possibly is unable to unlock at end-game because certain events/bosses killed had already occurred. I am just parking everything for now. Who knows how it unlocks, I just hope it's not as convoluted as AotA.

I could be like borderlands giving you a quicktravel unlock to explore that area unless it would be like Artorias DLC giving you a DLC Item to trigger the area

I could be like borderlands giving you a quicktravel unlock to explore that area unless it would be like Artorias DLC giving you a DLC Item to trigger the area

That would be nice. Maybe they add a secondary warp from a Primal Bonfire. The Sunken King from the one in the Gulch, the Iron King from Iron Keep and the Ivory king from one of the others.

PranooY

I just got an Uchigatana. My stats are str -26, Int - 26, Dex-20.
Which path should i choose and what effect should i add to uchi?
I ain't putting any points into faith.

Top Bottom