• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Firebrand

What's good barbarian fashion? I lucked out and got two lion axes, red lion warrior cape and the skirt without ascetics, no hat but it's kinda meh-looking anyway. Thinking about Executioner set of course and maybe the Bone King crown to hold me over until then. Vangarl helmet works kind of, but eh, purple.

Rushed to the Gutter to get the Bandit Greataxe and the name is a bit misleading. What is this, an axe for babies?

Huge, slow axe, paper armor. This will work out nicely.

How do I know I got the lucatiel sidequest? I summoned her the four times and keep her alive

Edit: Is chloranthy ring kinda useless this time around. I don't notice any difference.

It is if you are using light armor before you get the +2, the ring is more viable for full heavy armor players but still you have to manage your stamina

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
How do I know I got the lucatiel sidequest? I summoned her the four times and keep her alive
Also make sure you are exhausting her dialogue each time you meet her (No Man's Wharf, Lost Bastile, Earthen Peak, and Black Gulch are all areas you can speak with her. I think you just need to pick 3.)

At the conclusion she will show up at the Aldia's Keep bonfire and you will get the resolution to her quest along with her gear and the achievement after talking to her.

BigAT

Is there something up with guard break this time around? I never had a problem kicking in Demon's Souls and DS1, but I can't guard break for the life of me now in DS2. Like I can't even do it 1 in 10 attempts. It's very frustrating. This is my first time playing a Souls game on PC, not sure if that would make a difference.

Roche

Am I at a huge disadvantage while playing at SL150? I feel like about half the time I'm going up against guys who I can whittle away at all day, yet they have all the Vitality in the world.

Also make sure you are exhausting her dialogue each time you meet her (No Man's Wharf, Lost Bastile, Earthen Peak, and Black Gulch are all areas you can speak with her. I think you just need to pick 3.)

At the conclusion she will show up at the Aldia's Keep bonfire and you will get the resolution to her quest along with her gear and the achievement after talking to her.

welp you have to talk to ther to unlock her summon sign so I hope I can get it, the other guy in other hand ...

Mistel

Banned
Am I at a huge disadvantage while playing at SL150? I feel like about half the time I'm going up against guys who I can whittle away at all day, yet they have all the Vitality in the world.
It soul memory based so depending on your memory you could be playing against far higher leveled people.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
welp you have to talk to ther to unlock her summon sign so I hope I can get it, the other guy in other hand ...
Yeah I didn't get Benhart on my NG run because his sign is ridiculously easy to miss in some areas (Brighstone Cove Tseldora). If you're overly concerned you might try just Bonfire Ascetic there since Prowling Magus + Congregation isn't that hard.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
If you want torches to have actual utility, you don't need mods. Just turn the in-game brightness down a few notches.

This is terrible advice.

what mod / injector / graphical preset do you recommend me to make the game more dark and make the torches absolutely vital?

PD I know the Nexus page by the way and I've already been browsing the most popular mods like this. My PC shouldn't have any performance problems, and I have experience in modding

I've been using and really liking WickFuts ENB. I use a tweaked version of the original v0.256 preset.

I did a comparison over at this post if you wanna see the difference the ambient lighting removal makes.

And here is an example of what the visuals look like with the ENB and rendered at a high res (keep in mind that there will also be dynamic shadows in game, but using a camera hack to move the camera disables dynamic shadows).

darksoulsii_2014_05_03_17_57_47_529_by_aloo81-d7h0gon.jpg

Mistel

Banned
Ughh that sucks so much, so I take it that means I should probably just keep levelling?
Yeah more or less stick at SL150 you'll still get matched up with people who are higher levels likely more often than not. So there's no reason for you to 150 anymore unless you want to.

Ughh that sucks so much, so I take it that means I should probably just keep levelling?
If you want to keep up with the crowd, your arm is twisted and yeah you kind of have to keep leveling.

Which is why SM sucks and why I'm still at SL150 on my main 'collect everything' character.
Fuck
Soul
Memory

Sullichin

Yeah more or less stick at SL150 you'll still get matched up with people who are higher levels likely more often than not. So there's no reason for you to 150 anymore unless you want to.

Yep, I'm overleveled at 170 because I was sitting on a ton of souls and wanted to try out some dex scaling weapons (lol). Still doing chip damage to monstrous havels who seem to have twice the amount of HP as my 50VGR/Life Ring+2 guy. The fact that you can be seriously overleveled and only use the best armor/weapons/buffs in the game is just too much for some people to pass up apparently.

Booshka

Yep, I'm overleveled at 170 because I was sitting on a ton of souls and wanted to try out some dex scaling weapons (lol). Still doing chip damage to monstrous havels who seem to have twice the amount of HP as my 50VGR/Life Ring+2 guy. The fact that you can be seriously overleveled and only use the best armor/weapons/buffs in the game is just too much for some people to pass up apparently.

Seen some more Havel Monsters using Blue Tearstone, it's essentially the Second Chance of Dark Souls 2 when you have that much HP and Defense, it's ridiculous.

Tragedy of the commons. The game assumes every soul you get makes you stronger, so even if you're not spending souls making yourself stronger, you can be matched up against someone who is. Someone reeeeeally didn't think that system through.

PranooY

Mad Warrior and Munchkins killed me once at Belfry soul. Will he not spawn again?, coz i need the berserker blade and his set.

Edit: Nevermind. He does respawn, but not dropping anything.

Firebrand

Do the pigs become invincible?
At bonfire intensity 8 the black pig from Wind Waker spawns. It will be toughest enemy in the game.

If you want torches to have actual utility, you don't need mods. Just turn the in-game brightness down a few notches.
I almost ran out of torches on my first playthrough :O Spent them all on
The Gutter
and
Shrine of Amana

PranooY

Soon you will figure out that it will take a long time to get what you want unless you are lucky with the mad warrior spawning and its drops.

PS3 disc drive sound method to know if Mad Warrior has spawned is surprisingly working well. But the only issue doesnt drop anything. :(

wickfut

Banned
This is terrible advice.

I've been using and really liking WickFuts ENB. I use a tweaked version of the original v0.256 preset.

I did a comparison over at this post if you wanna see the difference the ambient lighting removal makes.

And here is an example of what the visuals look like with the ENB and rendered at a high res (keep in mind that there will also be dynamic shadows in game, but using a camera hack to move the camera disables dynamic shadows).

Why are you using the old preset? It made some of the levels uplayable.

Here's an easier comparison. The dark is darker. The light stays the same. You can't do that with SweetFX.

16-5-1401132103.jpg

and while I'm here... Some people on reddit posting that my preset wrecks the daylight sections. I tried to keep the daylight sections close to vanilla but with slightly darker shadow areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ceY10Shrq8

Mistel

Banned
PS3 disc drive sound method to know if Mad Warrior has spawned is surprisingly working well. But the only issue doesnt drop anything. :(
Wear the item discovery boosting gear: jester's cap, gold covetous rings, watchdragon parma and the prisoners tatters as you farm him.

And I thought watching the HDD light was more effective than listening to the drive sound. One bright flash as soon as you're able to get up from the bonfire = Mad warrior spawn. Anything else (nothing / several flahses) = no spawn.

Krasnoya Ronin

Neo Member
Mad Warrior and Munchkins killed me once at Belfry soul. Will he not spawn again?, coz i need the berserker blade and his set.

Edit: Nevermind. He does respawn, but not dropping anything.

Yeah, he's one of the few enemies that will continue to respawn indefinitely. His drops are super rare, but he'll only drop stuff you don't have. Once you have his full set and the sword, he'll keep spawning, but I don't think he'll ever drop anything else after that. At least, I've never gotten anything more.

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, he's one of the few enemies that will continue to respawn indefinitely. His drops are super rare, but he'll only drop stuff you don't have. Once you have his full set and the sword, he'll keep spawning, but I don't think he'll ever drop anything else after that. At least, I've never gotten anything more.
Asectic the bonfire will reset his drop table allowing you to get everything again but after than you get to where you are now.
I used that guy for the Bell Covenant ranking just because I'm not great at PVP.
Nothing is lost other than chunks but that's pretty much a non issue.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Why are you using the old preset? It made some of the levels uplayable.

Here's an easier comparison. The dark is darker. The light stays the same. You can't do that with SweetFX.

16-5-1401132103.jpg

and while I'm here... Some people on reddit posting that my preset wrecks the daylight sections. I tried to keep the daylight sections close to vanilla but with slightly darker shadow areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ceY10Shrq8

To start off, I've noticed that your Youtube video has a lot of compression on it, and a while back I made a tutorial that gets SIGNIFICANTLY better quality out of youtube videos that I'd like to recommend to you.

You can check the tutorial here.

It's a bit outdated as to the methods, but the basic idea is the higher the resolution of the uploaded video, the higher Youtube will make the bit rate. The example images provided in the tutorial give a good idea of how much better it will be. When uploading a 720p video resized to 4k the end resultant Youtube video was actually had a bitrate of 12,000Kbps, which is pretty damn high and good quality.

So in the future, when you're done editing your video, I recommend just exporting the same identical file, but exporting it at 3840x2160 instead of native resolution. The file size will end up the same with an identical bitrate, but the final Youtube quality when viewing it at full size should be much, MUCH improved.

As for why I use that version of your ENB, I've been tweaking it, and by default, I've liked that one the best so far. To be fully transparent, I haven't looked at your newest versions yet, last one I looked at was probably about 2 weeks ago, but I've been messing with and liking where I've got it now.

I'll check out whichever is the latest you've got. If you have a particular preset you'd like to recommend because I know you do a lot of variations on it, I'd love to try whichever is your most recommended.

wickfut

Banned
Yeah I know about the youtube thing. I've just bought the download of sony vegas today and windows movie maker seems to be better quality?

I'll try what you say anyway with regards to uploading larger files.

Any chance you could send me your version of my preset? I want to see what you've done. I know that version didn't work on the fog level, a lot of people reported crazy bloom problems and the skeleton bosses area needed a torch (i think?) in order to be able to see in the room, which IMO is too damn dark.

my email is my name on here @hotmail.com

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yeah I know about the youtube thing. I've just bought the download of sony vegas today and windows movie maker seems to be better quality?

I'll try what you say anyway with regards to uploading larger files.

Any chance you could send me your version of my preset? I want to see what you've done. I know that version didn't work on the fog level, a lot of people reported crazy bloom problems and the skeleton bosses area needed a torch (i think?) in order to be able to see in the room, which IMO is too damn dark.

my email is my name on here @hotmail.com

The quality will depend a lot on how you export. I use Adobe Premiere with the H.264 codec and do 2 pass VBR with the guide bitrate to be usually around 20Mbps and use max level.

pAmkLyL.png

Also, I haven't played through the whole game with my preset as it is but the main thing I did was messed with point lighting to help visibility at night, as well as tweaking the overbearing brightness that can sometimes happen in the daylight.

I just checked it and I can see well enough in the skeleton lords fight that it thematically makes sense and I could fight if need be, but I also checked shaded woods and they are TOTALLY fucked!

If you still want it sent over I can, but if the reason you wanted it is to compare how it looks for shaded woods, Shaded Woods is completely unplayable with how it is right now.

Firebrand

Stunlock if old, saw this on reddit. Apparantely the chest in the mansion basement has been closed again, and the contents will update every few days. No idea if it will re-close itself if you've looted it during the promotion.

June 5, 2:00 pm: Petrified Something x3 (for Dyna & Tillo trading)
June 11, 2:00 pm: Twinkling Titanite x2 (for weapon upgrading)
June 18, 2:00 pm: Cracked Red Eye Orb x5 (for invading)
June 25, 2:00 pm: Bonfire Acsetic x4 (for increasing Bonfire level)
July 1, 2:00 pm: Poison Stone x1, Bleed Stone x1 (for weapon infusion)
July 8, 2:00 pm: Elizabeth Mushroom x3, Withered Dusk Herb x3 (for healing/spell cast replenishment)
July 15, 2:00 pm: Smooth and Silky Stone x5 (for Dyna & Tillo trading)
July 22, 2:00 pm: A Secret Item! (probably a Pendant)
http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/27exg6/promotional_event_majula_mansion_treasure_box/
http://www.darksouls.jp/pc/treasurebox/

Top Bottom