• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
Ok, how the fuck are you supposed to use ultra greatswords? What am I doing wrong?For starters I'm always fat rolling, and second I have no stamina from it. I'm using the pursuers ultra greatsword and I've died like a hundred times to just basic enemies now because it's impossible to do anything. What am I not getting? Are ultra greatswords useless? Do they basically require an insaen amount of stamina and VIT to even be remotely useful?
Git gud...

They do not require much from the wielder you need to raise your stamina and equip load then it's fine.You can even get rings that do that for you. Pretty much smooth sailing from then on out. And just two hand it instead of single handing.

Git gud...

They do not require much from the wielder you need to raise your stamina and equip load then it's fine.You can even get rings that do that for you. Pretty much smooth sailing from then on out. And just two hand it instead of single handing.

I 2H but I fat roll, and even when I'm not everything destroys me instantly. The recovery times on the ultra greatswords is fucking ridiculous, it's impossible to do anything. I've died 15x to the sentry in shaded woods because of the insane recovery time. No matter how much fucking VIT I have I'm always fat rolling too.

So please tell me how the fuck are ugreatswords aregood, because theres no way in hell they are,

Mistel

Banned
I 2H but I fat roll, and even when I'm not everything destroys me instantly. The recovery times on the ultra greatswords is fucking ridiculous, it's impossible to do anything. I've died 15x to the sentry in shaded woods because of the insane recovery time. No matter how much fucking VIT I have I'm always fat rolling too.

So please tell me how the fuck are ugreatswords aregood, because theres no way in hell they are,
How does that even work how can you be only use a weapon and still be fat rolling? You would need really low vitality for that. It is not impossible to do anything with at all you just need to practice with them.

They are a perfectly viable weapon to use maybe it is just not for you?

How does that even work how can you be only use a weapon and still be fat rolling? You would need really low vitality for that. It is not impossible to do anything with at all you just need to practice with them.

They are a perfectly viable weapon to use maybe it is just not for you?

Maybe. It's just everything I do gets me killed way too fast.

I have 19 VIT.

Mistel

Banned
I have it, but, everything stunlocks and kills me too fast still. The sentry in the Woods, 1 shots me
I assume that this is your first time having a go with a big weapon such as this. So instead of practicing on a miniboss (who is a complete push over like the other flexile with an ultra) try the soldiers in forest of the fallen giants instead.

Remember that you can aim where your greatsword swings while you're locked on as well. I was really confused by that at first, because sometimes I would try to hit somebody in front of me, but with the analog stick pulled back or to the side. I was really confused as to why my guy was swinging in the wrong direction.

maomaoIYP

Git gud...

Yup, pretty much.
The swings are slow but you have reach so swing earlier and you can one shot everything.

Funny. I was just thinking about how awesome the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword is for PvP. I've had far more success with it than any other UGS.

Mistel

Banned
Yup, pretty much.
The swings are slow but you have reach so swing earlier and you can one shot everything.
Exactly it's worth the effort to learn to use it. Not sure why anyone would ever use lock on with one though especially with the two handed moveset.

well, if you put it that way...

I started a new character recently. I went Sorcerer (mirroring my choice in DS1: first melee and then magic) and I had a harder time compared early game compared to the first one: in DS1 I was pretty much wrecking shit left-and-right until Anor Londo, killing bosses in like 3 hits or stuff like that. Hell, I just died, like, TWICE, in 5 or 6 hours (and one of those was a very stupid death to Hellkite Dragon).
In DS2 it took me a while to reach an acceptable level (not SL, I mean figuratively) in which I felt confortable. But it might be my own fault, anyway - I totally forgot about Melentia selling Soul Arrows.

I've already reached the Bastille with my sorc but haven't cleared the Wharf yet and I'm debating which one I should do first.

I think the big change of casters is not relying of using a shield anymore, outside that you are still be forced to stick with the soul arrows spells in all variants and the new spells are not that good to stay in your main inventory.

Jhoan

Hey guys, just got the game last week and been enjoying it for the most part. What's the easiest place to farm Human Effigies when you're playing offlline as it so happens to be my case on my first run (360)? Ruin Sentinel has been kicking my ass. I'm an Explorer for reference, Faith at 5, Intel at 8, 1 Attunement, and have the Pyromancy Glove/Fireball.

I burned through my last Effigy which makes the fight harder. I'm pretty sure I'm strong enough to solo them at SL 62 and 16 STR but damn that second half when I'm juggling two of those SOB's. I feel like coming back to them and continuing through Huntsman's Copse.

Mistel

Banned
Hey guys, just got the game last week and been enjoying it for the most part. What's the easiest place to farm Human Effigies when you're playing offlline?
Crestfallen's retreat bonfire for a guilt free 7 effigies with no hassle. Try strike damage for the ruin sentinels.

Toxi

Banned
Ok, how the fuck are you supposed to use ultra greatswords? What am I doing wrong?For starters I'm always fat rolling, and second I have no stamina from it. I'm using the pursuers ultra greatsword and I've died like a hundred times to just basic enemies now because it's impossible to do anything. What am I not getting? Are ultra greatswords useless? Do they basically require an insaen amount of stamina and VIT to even be remotely useful?

Am i doing something wrong? Greatswords are pure fucking garbage. Even naked not fat rolling the recovery time is insane. it's literally impossible to hurt a boss because by the time I'm finished swinging the boss is already hitting me. Again, wtf am I supposed to do here? Greatswords are complete fucking ass and impossible to hurt anything with.
I've not used ultra greatswords much, but great hammers rely on range, damage, knockdown, and staggering for safety. Even a trade with a Gyrm Great Hammer can still be a wonderful knockdown.

In fact, it's a bit insane how easy the game becomes with the Gyrm Great Hammer. Any enemy that can be knocked down can be knocked down on wake-up. Mytha literally couldn't hurt me because she kept staggering. Boss health bars went down quick. Crows of enemies were either killed all at once or knocked down and disabled.

Hey guys, just got the game last week and been enjoying it for the most part. What's the easiest place to farm Human Effigies when you're playing offlline as it so happens to be my case on my first run (360)? Ruin Sentinel has been kicking my ass. I'm an Explorer for reference, Faith at 5, Intel at 8, 1 Attunement, and have the Pyromancy Glove/Fireball.

I burned through my last Effigy which makes the fight harder. I'm pretty sure I'm strong enough to solo them at SL 62 and 16 STR but damn that second half when I'm juggling two of those SOB's. I feel like coming back to them and continuing through Huntsman's Copse.

Go back to the old ladies house, talk to them to reward you with some human efigies, the merchant in the forest of giants sell human efigies too,In the cave the chest in the majula transition to forest of giants have 5 human efigies, on the second bonfire on forest of giants use the ladders and you can find another one with a cestus fragment, on the second pursuer fight go back a little and open a door with the special key, there is another one.

You can also put your sign and do some coop to get a free human form if you succeed in killing the boss

EDIT: dont forget there is NPC you can summon for offline mode in mostly every boss, in this case is a Sorcerer you can summon, her sign is inside in one of the cells before the fog gate (right side, third cell), if you die too much talk to the guy on the giant monolith in majula for more human efigies and a free ring.

Jhoan

Go back to the old ladies house, talk to them to reward you with some human efigies, the merchant in the forest of giants sell human efigies too,In the cave the chest in the majula transition to forest of giants have 5 human efigies, on the second bonfire on forest of giants use the ladders and you can find another one with a cestus fragment, on the second pursuer fight go back a little and open a door with the special key, there is another one.

You can also put your sign and do some coop to get a free human form if you succeed in killing the boss

Unfortunately, I don't have Xbox Live Gold so co-op is not really much of an option for me. I'll go back to the old ladies and see if they give me anything. Will go back to comb through the other areas. I bought all the effigies off the merchant you're thinking off since she moved to Majula. Thanks for the tips. I've wiped out almost all the dogs in Lost Bastille; they drop effigies.

In the latest calibration, the old ladies don't give you those six free human effigies anymore until pretty much the end game, after obtaining the

You also only get 1 effigy in NG for that particular chest you're referring to (between Majula and the FOTG). You get 5 in NG+ and beyond.

In the latest calibration, the old ladies don't give you those six free human effigies anymore until pretty much the end game, after obtaining the

You also only get 1 effigy in NG for that particular chest you're referring to (between Majula and the FOTG). You get 5 in NG+ and beyond.

Welp thank god I already have my starter classes with that "buff" before the calibrations.

elfinke

Funny. I was just thinking about how awesome the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword is for PvP. I've had far more success with it than any other UGS.

It's a fun weapon, for sure. I made what I think will be my final respec last night, into a mainly STR build, initially I thought to give the Sacred Chime Hammer (SCH) a go in PvP. The SCH has a neat move set when two handing I thought might be interesting to try out...

It's not. Despite it having broad horizontal arcs for swings, it doesn't connect worth a shit, once lag and ridiculous I-frames are counted in, making it a clusterfuck of a weapon to use. So disappointed, Aldia's Keep bonfire is like 10 in NG now, lol, from grabbing those easy Petrified Dragon Bones over and over.

Pursuer's UGS and the Black Knight Greatsword are both rad weapons, with especially neat move sets and decent to really great base damage. I'm going to give them both a whirl tonight, but I think I'm just about done with DS2 now, PvP has broken me!

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
You should go get the royal soldiers ring in no mans wharf and wear that to boost your equip load. I'm surprised your struggling nude with 19 and just a ultra greatsword.

3n8TCRO.gif

Ain't that the truth.

RedSwirl

What's the drop-off point where you should probably stop investing in END and VIT, for stamina and equip load respectively?

Had a bit of a trial with the Zweihander just now, inspired by a rewatch of Jeff's DkS1 stream and how he was knocking down fools with ease using that weapon.

Only to find out that the 1H R2 attack doesn't work as advertised in the second game. Enemies (even the basic grunts in FOTG next to the first bonfire) don't get the knockdown effect anymore, they just get staggered before resuming their attack patterns.

WTF FROM, why did you destroy the utility of such a wonderful weapon in the second game. Is finite enemy poise even a thing anymore? They seem to power through ultra weapons which would have knocked them silly in the first game.

you're timing is perfect!

Haha, really 100% luck on that one. It was a real lag fest with lots of odd timing on damage and attacks. I just said fuck it and randomly tried to parry and it miraculously connected. If you slow it down you can see that the entire parry animation is finished before he even makes any contact, I have no idea where the parry window actually is.

I would love to try more parries online but lag makes it really hard to get the timing down.

gogosox82

Am i doing something wrong? Greatswords are pure fucking garbage. Even naked not fat rolling the recovery time is insane. it's literally impossible to hurt a boss because by the time I'm finished swinging the boss is already hitting me. Again, wtf am I supposed to do here? Greatswords are complete fucking ass and impossible to hurt anything with.

They are fine, you just need practice. You have to take your thumb off the ls when you swing or the weapon will swing in whatever direction your pushing the ls. So if you back up to give yourself some distance to swing the weapon and then swing before taking your thumb off the ls, your swing will go behind you. It just takes some getting used to. I use the great club, the zwei, and the greatsword on my str build and don't have any problems with killing most enemies.

shiroryu

well, if you put it that way...

I started a new character recently. I went Sorcerer (mirroring my choice in DS1: first melee and then magic) and I had a harder time compared early game compared to the first one: in DS1 I was pretty much wrecking shit left-and-right until Anor Londo, killing bosses in like 3 hits or stuff like that. Hell, I just died, like, TWICE, in 5 or 6 hours (and one of those was a very stupid death to Hellkite Dragon).
In DS2 it took me a while to reach an acceptable level (not SL, I mean figuratively) in which I felt confortable. But it might be my own fault, anyway - I totally forgot about Melentia selling Soul Arrows.

I've already reached the Bastille with my sorc but haven't cleared the Wharf yet and I'm debating which one I should do first.

Spoiler for what you should do first:
Wharf Wharf Wharf
because
first proper mage vendor near the boss fight

Sorcery is harder in DS2 vs DS1, at least early game. All spells so far are single-target shit and so you have to take down targets sequentially.

Even if you're one-shotting enemies, all it needs is two-three swipes from the last guy while you're recovering and can't block/roll. Add in the fact that casting consumes stamina now (WHY?).

Sure, you do have the advantage in open areas, but corridors full of enemies can be a nightmare. Even Soul Barrage doesn't work effectively despite its machine gun looks. In contrast, melee guys can generally wade in and take out two-three people at a time with upgraded weapons.

Yearn looks useful as a strategic tool, but it doesn't seem to work on the exploders in Bastille.

It's not. Despite it having broad horizontal arcs for swings, it doesn't connect worth a shit, once lag and ridiculous I-frames are counted in, making it a clusterfuck of a weapon to use. So disappointed, Aldia's Keep bonfire is like 10 in NG now, lol, from grabbing those easy Petrified Dragon Bones over and over.

I actually really dig the Sacred Chime Hammer! I just recently took it to +10 with a Dark infusion and had a lot of fun with it for a while. It's moveset is suprisingly quick.

You are right about its ability (or lack thereof) to connect, though. I think I had a lot of success with the rolling R1 attack, both one and two-handed.

Also, it looks very fucking cool for what could be described as a somewhat novelty weapon. I adore that one-handed strong attack - that arcing drop smash - even if it is the absolute shittest, practically speaking.

shiroryu

So you can't sit behind a shield?

Except as a pure mage, I can't get the best 100% high-stability shields, and I'm not going to be dumping points into stamina or health much. So as enemies hit harder as you progress, it gets tougher. Unlike a melee fighter who "naturally" improves stamina as they level up, I can't do that.

You're tying a stat that is normally tied to melee users, to magic users, forcing them to hybridize to do well.

I understand that late game mages can blow shit away, but I don't mind giving up sheer casting power for more tactical options: auras, mines, summons. It's just that magic is either ranged safe pew-pew or ohshitohshit dodging right now. I could make it more challenging by casting in range, but there's no real incentive to do that.

maomaoIYP

Spoiler for what you should do first:
Wharf Wharf Wharf
because
first proper mage vendor near the boss fight
Add in the fact that casting consumes stamina now (WHY?).

Casting has always consumed stamina.

But you are right about pure casters having a harder time at the very beginning of the game, especially if you're playing for the very first time.

Ulthwe

60h in, finally made it to my second "nope.gif" area in the game, The Sewers (the first was in Tseldora, just before the spider boss). I equipped the poison ring as soon as I heard the water flowing, and -voilà!- a posion arrow comes flying as you approach the statues at the entrance. Step back -> Save and quit

elfinke

I actually really dig the Sacred Chime Hammer! I just recently took it to +10 with a Dark infusion and had a lot of fun with it for a while. It's moveset is suprisingly quick.

You are right about its ability (or lack thereof) to connect, though. I think I had a lot of success with the rolling R1 attack, both one and two-handed.

Also, it looks very fucking cool for what could be described as a somewhat novelty weapon. I adore that one-handed strong attack - that arcing drop smash - even if it is the absolute shittest, practically speaking.

Yeah I really like it too, I think I might finally move this character into NG+ and use the hammer as my weapon, it wrecks dopey AI like few other! But
PvP is the domain of quick, minimal windup attacks (whether it is ghost range slashing, or phantom Mr Fantastic-like bare knuckle range), stun lock weapons and lag management. The SCH has none of the above :( It'd be vastly improved if it's high poise break actually meant something, if there was a greater/lengthier stagger to your opponent when you trade blows for example. Ah well, it's been fun anyway.

Hayabusi

God, what a frustrating evening:

- Was not able to finish the memories of ...
- Wanted to get summoned for the
big dragon
, but nothing happened
mirror knight
, but nothing
- Wanted to invade as a blue sentinel: didn't find a world
- Wanted to invade a a red phantom (or what it's called), but also didn't find a world

I probably should go the last boss and try all the above after that..

PranooY

Is there no divine weapon to kill skeletons in Dark Souls 2?
I know that i can kill the Necromancer, but its getting too crowded in the Chariot Boss room in Undead Purgatory. I am cornered due to the insta-kill chariot and due to the 4 skeletons pummelling at me who respawns soon.

Ruuppa

I know that i can kill the Necromancer, but its getting too crowded in the Chariot Boss room in Undead Purgatory. I am cornered due to the insta-kill chariot and due to the 4 skeletons pummelling at me who respawns soon.

Grab some Alluring Skulls. They're crazy useful for that fight.

No divine weapon. Take out the skellies temporarily, wait in an alcove, run to the first Necromancer, take him out, wait. Repeat with second batch. Done.

Depends on your weapon though, some people find this boss a doddle, I was on NG++ recently with a rapier build farming the Necromancers and the skellies were indeed a pain in the ass. Users of huge smashy weapons no doubt have a far easier time.

Stealing this idea for when I resume farming! ^_^

PranooY

Won the fight. I summoned a person, she was helpful in crowd control.
Ohh yea...i had some alluring skulls. Never thought of that.

The NPC after the fight, just asks me to go home and Isn't offering me covenant membership. :(

Ruuppa

Won the fight. I summoned a person, she was helpful in crowd control.
Ohh yea...i had some alluring skulls. Never thought of that.

The NPC after the fight, just asks me to go home and Isn't offering me covenant membership. :(

You need to have a Token of Spite for the NPC to offer you membership. You can find one in the well before Gutter, just before the drop to Gutter's first bonfire.

Mistel

Banned
God, what a frustrating evening:

- Was not able to finish the memories of ...
big dragon
, but nothing happened
mirror knight
, but nothing
- Wanted to invade as a blue sentinel: didn't find a world
- Wanted to invade a a red phantom (or what it's called), but also didn't find a world

I probably should go the last boss and try all the above after that..
Few will summon for ancient dragon. Or at kings passage as mirror knight is rather weak too. The other two are based on soul memory.

PranooY

In Harvest valley, there are tons of stuff to collect but the poison mist is affecting visibility. Anything to clear the poison mist or to get better visibility?

Top Bottom