• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

I just got Santier's spear, broke it. What path is better? Raw or mundane. I heard that mundance scales of the lowest attribute and my lowest is 5 for faith. If so, mundane would suck..

Pretty sure they just nerfed santier's mundane hard, they lowered how much base damage it gets with mundane by like a super large amount iirc.

I'm so SICK to DEATH of farming twinkling titanite for all my fashion souls needs.

Why did they go backwards and not make them buyable from a BS this time?

I've never been more tempted to use a trainer/save editor in my life.

You go an farm the giant lord guy, outside the giant memory there is always a 2 TT everytime you ascestic

Oni Jazar

I hate to do this as I've been playing DS2 blind having a blast but I think I'm stuck and I could use a hint. I'm about 40 hours in...

I've gotten 3 of the 4 "large souls":

The Giant Spider.
The Rotten.
The Lost Sinner.

I've retraced my steps multiple times in areas and although I've unlocked new hidden areas and even sequence broke an area (I think...) I haven't found where the 4th major soul is!

Any suggestions on what to do next?

Firebrand

There's limited amount of character slots?? omg from durante plz fix

I usually get Pate's stuff from summoning him once, then kill him to get Creighton's. But they're both jerks, it seems to me.

It blew up in my face. Didn't die though...:)
"Mmm, that'll leave a nasty ska"

RedSwirl

Wait why are these new mysterious inaccessible places showing up on the bonfire teleporter?

I just beat the
two Dragonriders after meeting the queen. Not that tough really. Didn't even have to summon, and this was with a melee/archery character.

Krasnoya Ronin

Neo Member
Wait why are these new mysterious inaccessible places showing up on the bonfire teleporter?

I just beat the
two Dragonriders after meeting the queen. Not that tough really. Didn't even have to summon, and this was with a melee/archery character.

After you've done some stuff in Drangleic Castle, the game shows you the rest of the areas you can teleport to at the bonfire travel menu, though it doesn't tell you anything about where the places are or what they're called until you actually light those bonfires. I guess it's basically to let players know if they've missed any areas by accident.

NBtoaster

I already have her stuff, so I want to do it alone (also I can't be bothered clearing all those water enemies). The pyros just keep dodging my lightning spears.

I just got invaded in Heide's Tower Of Flame while I was fighting the Old Knight that drops the Sublime Bone Dust. Knight was killed over the course of the fight, but the invader killed me before I was able to pick up the Bone Dust. Is the Bone Dust gone for good?

Mistel

Banned
I already have her stuff, so I want to do it alone (also I can't be bothered clearing all those water enemies). The pyros just keep dodging my lightning spears.
You just run to the boss an she'll catch up with barely a scratch. Your mileage may vary of course.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I just got invaded in Heide's Tower Of Flame while I was fighting the Old Knight that drops the Sublime Bone Dust. Knight was killed over the course of the fight, but the invader killed me before I was able to pick up the Bone Dust. Is the Bone Dust gone for good?
I'm afraid so.

Firebrand

You just run to the boss an she'll catch up with barely a scratch. Your mileage may vary of course.
I don't trust Lucatiel to pathfind after she managed to get lost and die at the Smelter Demon. It's like.. a straight line of 10 meters.

The next time she managed to find the door, but it took her half the fight to do so.

Mistel

Banned
I don't trust Lucatiel to pathfind after she managed to get lost and die at the Smelter Demon. It's like.. a straight line of 10 meters.

The next time she managed to find the door, but it took her half the fight to do so.
It does work better than her iron keep summon for me.

AngryMoth

Yo, Adaptability isn't the main thing you should be looking at. Check how much it raises Agility (it's also affected by Attunement slightly).

For "Fast-Roll" (under 70% burden), these are the breakpoints:

85 AGL = 8 i-frames.
90 AGL = 9 i-frames.
95 AGL = 10 i-frames.
100 AGL = 12 i-frames.
105 AGL = 13 i-frames.
110 AGL = 13 i-frames.
115 AGL = 15 i-frames.
120 AGL = 16 i-frames.

Remember that rolling distance is not affected by agility, though. It's affected by your equipment burden and seems to scale pretty fluidly with it (i.e. no breakpoints, just a steady ratio). Less equipment burden = More distance covered per roll.

Source: http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/agility (though don't browse around here unless you want to get spoiled).

EDIT: Note that you get 2 i-frames between 95 and 100 AGL, but you don't go over 13 until 115 AGL. This is sort of a point of diminishing returns. Also, in order to get max AGL you need to max out both Adaptability and Attunement, so you'd probably get better benefits elsewhere by leveling other stuff (more attack or spell damage, for example).
This is interesting, I didn't realise we knew the exact break points for i-frames now. I'm almost afraid to ask this but is it affected at all by framerate, i.e do you have longer invincibility if you're running at a lower framerate?

neoism

welp first play through and like 5 vessal's and 30 fucking try's later I killed the king me right after like
itpn1YSesz5IW.bmp

What a coincidence. squidyj is a member here. Dude is one of those Helix Halberd/Mastodon Halberd power stance users (aka the new cheese since all the OP stuff got nerfed). He invaded me and second I saw those 2 garbage weapons, I had to blow him up. I think he ate a full affinity and a crystal soul spear :O.

Booshka

What a coincidence. squidyj is a member here. Dude is one of those Helix Halberd/Mastodon Halberd power stance users (aka the new cheese since all the OP stuff got nerfed). He invaded me and second I saw those 2 garbage weapons, I had to blow him up. I think he ate a full affinity and a crystal soul spear :O.

The Flavor of the Week PvP builds are getting pretty old, not enough original builds and diverse styles like the previous Souls games.

The Flavor of the Week PvP builds are getting pretty old, not enough original builds and diverse styles like the previous Souls games.

Yeah and to make matters worse, these Flavor of the Week builds are above and beyond everything else available. I mean, I understand it in shit like Path of Exile where the FoTW stuff is powerful--but it doesn't completely trump everything else around.

I don't fault the dude for using it, it's the nature of how the game is atm. They made a solid first step in nerfing the severely OP shit, but now we've got a new crop of shit popping up with these halberd combos, the Numb hex, and a few others.

Booshka

Yeah and to make matters worse, these Flavor of the Week builds are above and beyond everything else available. I mean, I understand it in shit like Path of Exile where the FoTW stuff is powerful--but it doesn't completely trump everything else around.

I don't fault the dude for using it, it's the nature of how the game is atm. They made a solid first step in nerfing the severely OP shit, but now we've got a new crop of shit popping up with these halberd combos, the Numb hex, and a few others.

It's the main reason I haven't put in the time into Dark Souls 2 PvP like I did with DkS1. Soul Memory is its own problem, but the insane scaling on defenses through leveling, the do everything OP monster builds, and just flat out broken mechanics and netcode. It's hard to stay motivated to take it seriously or grind out invasions for hours like I used to.

EDIT: Watch as I create a monster in the wilds of DkS2 PvP.
First invasion Not Hollow yet
Second Invasion Slowly becoming Hollow, on his way to Havel Monster

squidyj

Really starting to get tired of getting facestabbed all the fucking time.

Oh hey dude, what's up? I think I remember you, yeah I fucked up pretty bad there :l

Yeah, I was doing some sparring and I kept getting matched up against this guy, full havels, great magic barrier, helix/bkh AND numbness.

I couldn't, I just couldn't anymore.

Really starting to get tired of getting facestabbed all the fucking time.

Oh hey dude, what's up? I think I remember you, yeah I fucked up pretty bad there :l

Yeah, I was doing some sparring and I kept getting matched up against this guy, full havels, great magic barrier, helix/bkh AND numbness.

I couldn't, I just couldn't anymore.

Yeah was in Harvest Valley (Poison Pool bonfire) I almost exclusively invade there since I don't gotta hunt people down 24/7 in all the nooks/crannies of other places. I saw you with those 2 things running up to the bonfire and was like ohhh fuck lol.

Not gonna lie, I went and tried it out (without the Old Leo Ring, which I think is kinda important for this? Not sure) and it was pretty beastly. You get a ton of phantom hitbox kinda deals. I got no problem with people using them, plus they look kinda cool.

I've settled pretty hard into Warped Sword in MH (for the awesome running 2 hit combo) and either a power stance Katana OH (for the awesome spinning L2 attack which is unique to the combo) or a Greatsword OH for the strong pokes into spin.

I've got pretty low SM still (was just in the 3-4.5M bracket) and I'm enjoying that range very much. Might be scummy, but I backed up my save so I could keep PvPing in that SM range. Too much cornball-ness once you get higher up and matches take forever if both know how to dodge and know what they are doing.

Saw a reference to a game series where it's crazy hard to not die (and the story is told through reading text inside of items and armor you find) and wanted to know if it was THIS game or "Demon Souls".

These names are far too close :/

Toxi

Banned
Trying to sunbro at the
Iron King
and everyone just falls into the lava.
There's that one ring that attacks enemy attacks to you only, though I don't know how effective that will be on those wide fireball attacks.
Saw a reference to a game series where it's crazy hard to not die (and the story is told through reading text inside of items and armor you find) and wanted to know if it was THIS game or "Demon Souls".

These names are far too close :/
They're both basically the same thing.

squidyj

Yeah was in Harvest Valley (Poison Pool bonfire) I almost exclusively invade there since I don't gotta hunt people down 24/7 in all the nooks/crannies of other places. I saw you with those 2 things running up to the bonfire and was like ohhh fuck lol.

Not gonna lie, I went and tried it out (without the Old Leo Ring, which I think is kinda important for this? Not sure) and it was pretty beastly. You get a ton of phantom hitbox kinda deals. I got no problem with people using them, plus they look kinda cool.

I've settled pretty hard into Warped Sword in MH (for the awesome running 2 hit combo) and either a power stance Katana OH (for the awesome spinning L2 attack which is unique to the combo) or a Greatsword OH for the strong pokes into spin.

I've got pretty low SM still (was just in the 3-4.5M bracket) and I'm enjoying that range very much. Might be scummy, but I backed up my save so I could keep PvPing in that SM range. Too much cornball-ness once you get higher up and matches take forever if both know how to dodge and know what they are doing.

I've been doing it without old leo, honestly I just stack massive stamina regen just to make sure I have enough when I need it, so increasing my equip weight with royal soldier and third dragon, and stamina regen with chloranthy. Normally I'd be chewing some grass too. That leaves me with one slot where i've been wearing ring of blades I might give leo a try, think i'd need to change my spec up a bit for it tho.

I've been doing it without old leo, honestly I just stack massive stamina regen just to make sure I have enough when I need it, so increasing my equip weight with royal soldier and third dragon, and stamina regen with chloranthy. Normally I'd be chewing some grass too. That leaves me with one slot where i've been wearing ring of blades I might give leo a try, think i'd need to change my spec up a bit for it tho.

Yeah doing some googling, it seems the complaints for the Helix/Mastodon combo is when it's combined with Ring of Blades and Old Leo's Ring. Then they go from hitting for like 800-900 to like 1.3k and up.

I think I'm gonna go invade like that for a bit after I finish up a few more AVGN vids :X.

I've got 0 fucks to give tonight in terms of invading. So many people summoning blues, whites, sun bros, anything they can get their hands on when I invade. And when I do happen to lose, usually due to the host standing back spamming spells while they phantom actually fights me, they run up and taunt the ever living shit out of you.

Although, tbh, I absolutely love when I get a 2v1 via summon or run into 2 dudes co-oping. Makes it mad fun--especially since I can retreat to some mobs and heal up.

squidyj

Yeah doing some googling, it seems the complaints for the Helix/Mastodon combo is when it's combined with Ring of Blades and Old Leo's Ring. Then they go from hitting for like 800-900 to like 1.3k and up.

I think I'm gonna go invade like that for a bit after I finish up a few more AVGN vids :X.

I've got 0 fucks to give tonight in terms of invading. So many people summoning blues, whites, sun bros, anything they can get their hands on when I invade. And when I do happen to lose, usually due to the host standing back spamming spells while they phantom actually fights me, they run up and taunt the ever living shit out of you.

Although, tbh, I absolutely love when I get a 2v1 via summon or run into 2 dudes co-oping. Makes it mad fun--especially since I can retreat to some mobs and heal up.

So I invade this one person, dude's waiting for me at the last bonfire in iron keep right at the top of the stairs with a curved dragon greatsword and two buddies. Uses the greatsword to try to knock me off the platform as I climb up. it was pretty lulzy.

PranooY

Didn't put any points into Adaptability(its just 5). So black gulch is really testing my patience. :( Fuck poison.
Should I respec and at least take it to 10?

Top Bottom