• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
Yep, next time you do the fight, go in and see. It gradually restores. Whatever magic she uses maybe would be good the player because the life restoration rings in Souls always suck!
I did it with dual maces without the area drained I just stun locked her to death very easy even with it healing her.

Overdoziz

Banned
Does any kind GAFer have any tips for
Duke's Dear Freja?

When I can manage to get a hit in due to her armor I do hardily any damage, I had to take a break when she one-shotted me with a bite. She's also my last great soul.
Run to one side, hit one or twice, run to other side, hit once or twice, repeat until dead.

Altazor

My sorcerer/hexer is bringing me success! Managed to beat Old Iron King yesterday (and Smelter was definitely easier with hexes than melee for me) and now I'm debating whether I'll go to Brightstone or Gutter/Black Gulch first.

If I decided the latter - would the Great Club be a good melee weapon for me to fall back? Should I infuse it with Dark or leave it as it is?

(my character's STR is 16 and both my INT and FAI are 31, and my currently "melee fallback" weapon is a standard Mace+2)

My sorcerer/hexer is bringing me success! Managed to beat Old Iron King yesterday (and Smelter was definitely easier with hexes than melee for me) and now I'm debating whether I'll go to Brightstone or Gutter/Black Gulch first.

If I decided the latter - would the Great Club be a good melee weapon for me to fall back? Should I infuse it with Dark or leave it as it is?

(my character's STR is 16 and both my INT and FAI are 31, and my currently "melee fallback" weapon is a standard Mace+2)

Club's a great weapon. Keep it plain and uninfused to use against magic/elemental resistant mobs. There are quite a few of them in the game.

Thinking about infusing lightning on my bastard sword +8. Would that help me out a bit near the end stretch of the game?

Definitely. Most endgame bosses (hell, all bosses except for maybe
The Looking Glass Knight and The Duke's Dear Freja
are weakest to that element.

Mistel

Banned

As you can two hand the great club with that strength I'd either keep it plain and uninfused for 420 damage with A scaling at max. Or stick lightning on it for 294/294 with B/B scaling which will make use of your faith for some nice scaling. Pick up a large club as well for a light and better scaling great hammer.

Altazor

Club's a great weapon. Keep it plain and uninfused to use against magic/elemental resistant mobs. There are quite a few of them in the game.

As you can two hand the great club with that strength I'd either keep it plain and uninfused for 420 damage with A scaling at max. Or stick lightning on it for 294/294 with B/B scaling which will make use of your faith for some nice scaling. Pick up a large club as well for a light and better scaling great hammer.

thanks, guys!

J-Roderton

I also want to try out my pryro flame. I have a few scrolls and stuff but I have no idea how to use it. The wiki says pyros do not have any stat requirements, but Idk how to use these things. I'm a straight up STR build and haven't tried spells, pyros, etc, before. And does the strength of the attacks scale with anything?

Definitely. Most endgame bosses (hell, all bosses except for maybe
The Looking Glass Knight and The Duke's Dear Freja
are weakest to that element.

Sweet. I will try it out.

According to wikidot if you leave it there it just heals her during the fight.

It does I think it gave her more speed and more hostile,I was summoned with the poison still on, we had to hit her fast and rotating using estus.

They might be the nameless usurper.

Why the game designers decided to slip up with the invader name and named her "nameless" just for the sake of the plot the same with lucatiel
brother

neoism

They are the perfect example of DkS2 and its problems in PvE. They break all the rules of the game, infinite stamina, instant reset on their movesets at any time, extremely strong weapon that swings and combos like a straight sword. Just terrible all around.

lol 3 GLS's :D fo the win... melee is a joke ranged fo lif...
Just beat it last night my first souls game I actually beat 75 hours first playthrough Kreygasm looved every second.... NEXT GEN Dark Souls please....

Mistel

Banned
Grand Lance or Chariot Lance?
Which upgrade path is good for grand lance.
Btw I'm digging the lances.
Grandlance as a normal weapon even better if you get a pair of them or have a pair of heide grand lances. The chariot lance has a long reach and inflicts bleed but can't be infused it's also heavy. It's more of a strength weapon than anything.

Why the game designers decided to slip up with the invader name and named her "nameless" just for the sake of the plot the same with lucatiel
brother
They could of just called her throne usurper or something like that. Shame it's not explained really like the Faraam Knight who has a ruler's sword and a kings shield.

Danny 117

Block/dodge and hit as it recovers. The first one should be simple enough if you stay on the platform the other two won't aggro until the first one is dead. The NPC you can summon for this fight can usually do a good job of helping you so try her if you're having a tough time.

I think the Sentinels can be a bit of a steap difficulty curve, so you can always come back to them a little later, there are other ways to go that are equally as valid to do at this point in the game.

Licia moves to
the rotunda between Majula and Heide's
once you exhaust her dialogue above Dragonrider boss room.

Thanks so much for the helpful advice! I left that area and went to the Huntsman's Copse area. Dealt with the Lord Skeletons there. Will do the other area across the rope bridge in a while!

So now I have myself the lightning spears. My stats so far: (SL 46)
5 VGR
6 END
5 VIT
22 ATN
6 STR
7 DEX
8 ADP
18 INT
22 FTH

What do you guys think I should be investing my souls into now? Higher faith for more powerful miracles sounds like a good bet. I'm also trying to get my strength up so I can wield a decent shield for some blocks.

Really enjoying this game so far ! :)

Booshka

lol 3 GLS's :D fo the win... melee is a joke ranged fo lif...
Just beat it last night my first souls game I actually beat 75 hours first playthrough Kreygasm looved every second.... NEXT GEN Dark Souls please....

Ya I had a Cleric with like 30 Great Lightning Spears, a lot of the game's problems are tough to spot when you can just chuck lightning spears from afar and cheese your way through the entire game.

PranooY

Fuck, the Ancient dragon just roasted me with one breath, even with Gyrm shield and Alonne Set.

Any tips? Do we only see summon signs after we attack him?

Fuck, the Ancient dragon just roasted me with one breath, even with Gyrm shield and Alonne Set.

Dont get hit?

Always attack him to his left toe, when you see it flying, run away wait for the fire attack and run to his left toe, repeat

Booshka

If you don't have enough stamina to block with a +9/10 Gyrm shield and tank all the damage, or not enough HP and fire defense to tank the damage to your HP bar, then just go naked and run around with your weapon.

Attack its feet and head, then sprint toward its tail when it goes to fly up and blast fire breath. While running away, check behind you so you know when to book it back toward the dragon and get in position to start swinging.

Co op isn't really suggested for the fight imo, it adds so much HP to the boss, and if you were able to survive the flame blast, you won't be able to in co op, because it adds damage too. Also, it becomes far more random with more players, way too unpredictable and messy. It's fun though, but very rare for a co op squad to actually be able to slowly whittle it down.

PranooY

Dont get hit?

Always attack him to his left toe, when you see it flying, run away wait for the fire attack and run to his left toe, repeat

Summoned people and attacked it's left toe. Surprisingly it was too easy. It didn't use fire breath and just was slashing it's leg once in a while. But damn it took way too long coz of the added HP.

What do you guys think I should be investing my souls into now? Higher faith for more powerful miracles sounds like a good bet. I'm also trying to get my strength up so I can wield a decent shield for some blocks.

Really enjoying this game so far ! :)
Yeah, I would drop some points into strength so you can get one that blocks physical 100%.

It looks like you're going for a hex build since you're increasing both INT and FTH - I still haven't used hexes, so I don't know what the stat investments are for decent spells, but I would definately drop some points into getting more HP and Stamina since they're always helpful, and will let you take more hits and deal more damage, never a bad thing!

Soul Memory: Little more than 700K-750K

Level: mid 80s

Platform:360

I'm not home so I don't know off the top, but these are the ranges I'm by.

PranooY

What is your Platform, Soul Memory and Playthrough (NG or NG+)

Btw small doubt: Soul memory is the total souls used to level up or total souls collected (lost due to death + used for level up + for purchases).
Also does it include boss souls value too.

Edit: Answered above. Woah I didn't know that. I was still thinking that summoning is done with +-10 lvl as in dark souls.

Booshka

Btw small doubt: Soul memory is the total souls used to level up or total souls collected (lost due to death + used for level up + for purchases).
Also does it include boss souls value too.

Edit: Answered above. Woah I didn't know that. I was still thinking that summoning is done with +-10 lvl as in dark souls.

For clarity, soul items in your inventory that have not been used do not count toward your Soul Memory. Only after you use them do they add to the total.

RedSwirl

Oh, and I finally made the switch from my +10 Scimitar and upgraded the Murakumo to +7. I probably should have made this switch five bosses ago but I was too stingy about equip burden.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I was talking about standard weapons (swords, great swords, ultra great swords and so on) with standard upgrade path. I didn't try Santier Spear or mundane (never been high level enough to do it) so I don't know how these work. How much AR do you have now with the Santier?

253 with 26 in every stat. :(

PranooY

I've been helping out people with Ancient Dragon (white summon soapstone). This guy/gal summoned me 5 times, every single time he/she stays in front of the dragon and fire soul spears at it. And die before u put a single dent on the dragon's body. Must have lost a lot of effigies. :)
Edit: I just found out that u can get killed by the fire breath from outside the fog gate.

Mistel

Banned
Also they have an incomprehensible poise that comes out of nowhere. Even 2H R2 attack with a heavy weapon doesn't break their poise which is ludicrous.
Not to mention how the ones you use fragrant branches on seem not allow you to guard break them. Not that I tried on the others mind you.

PranooY

Wait a sec, why did I collect all these Giant Souls?
I thought the final boss will be
King Vendrick
, whose defence will go down if I collect these. But instead its
Nashandra
. So why the hell did I collect those? Can I still fight him?

Leezard

Wait a sec, why did I collect all these Giant Souls?
I thought the final boss will be
King Vendrick
, whose defence will go down if I collect these. But instead its
Nashandra
. So why the hell did I collect those? Can I still fight him?

Yes, you can.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Fuck I'm having trouble with Vendrick now..

Edit: He was easy. I stripped and started dodging all his attacks.
Edit2: Now gotta finish Darklurker boss and then to NG+. Anything else to do?

You could kill all the NPC's for their gear. Save the merchant hag melentia for last, as she'll sell you everyones gear after you kill them.

If you do kill them it'll up your sin and there will be a ton of invasions for NG+ which can be either really great, or a total nuisance. Burning Human Effigy's will prevent them from invading you if you want that.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Also they have an incomprehensible poise that comes out of nowhere. Even 2H R2 attack with a heavy weapon doesn't break their poise which is ludicrous.
They have infinite poise, apparently. I spammed Santier on them in NG+ (pre-nerf in NG they died before I could see if they got staggered but post-nerf in NG+ I could spam a lot) and they never once got stunned. That along with the infinite stamina maul knights in Dragon Shrine shows that some variable or calculation is missing somewhere. I can't believe that was intentional...

Mistel

Banned
The weird thing about the arch drake mace is that it's got the benefits of being a great hammer whilst having a halberd move set and yet only weighs 6.0 and isn't that stamina heavy.

wickfut

Banned
Oh well, I'm 1/3 of the way through NG+ and I bought the butterfly set, forgot that it poisons NPCs and spoke to the old woman who sells infinite life-gems.. and she attacked me.
She then accidently fell on my +10 bastard sword and killed herself.

It's going to be a difficult slog for the rest of the play through.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Oh well, I'm 1/3 of the way through NG+ and I bought the butterfly set, forgot that it poisons NPCs and spoke to the old woman who sells infinite life-gems.. and she attacked me.
She then accidently fell on my +10 bastard sword and killed herself.

It's going to be a difficult slog for the rest of the play through.

After a few hours a grave stone will spawn in her place and you can pay souls to temporarily revive her and purchase items.

Top Bottom