• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

I don't see how people say the PVP in this game is any good.

There is literally no skill involved, it's all just lag and phantom range bullshit.

Like nevermind my losses, I can't even enjoy my wins because all I can think of is 'wow he probably though that was some phantom range bullshit or lag' instead of that I outplayed or outskilled them most of the time, the rest of time I just stunlocked them to death and I just feel dirty.

There is literally no skill involved, it's all just lag and phantom range bullshit.

Like nevermind my losses, I can't even enjoy my wins because all I can think of is 'wow he probably though that was some phantom range bullshit or lag' instead of that I outplayed or outskilled them most of the time.

So don't bother with it then. I only tried it out during my NG playthrough, but after seeing what it had to offer and disliking it (except for the co-op parts), I just basically ignored it for my subsequent playthroughs.

So don't bother with it then. I only tried it out during my NG playthrough, but after seeing what it had to offer and disliking it (except for the co-op parts), I just basically ignored it for my subsequent playthroughs.

I really should stop playing it, but I'm so close to my rank 1 aura, (56 orbs - 10 or so from PVE drops - a hand full of losses).

I was going to try to get the rank 3 spells for the achievements to get 100%.

But I obviously don't have the patience for such broken pvp.

Good lord, I'm seeing all sorts of glitchy stuff tonight! I invaded someone and they seemed to be punching and then cancelling it into a roll, only the punch would still connect and do damage as they rolled around me, completely invincible. It would make the punching "whoosh" every time they rolled and if they did it near me I'd take a hit.

Also, kinda surprised to see it took this long for the Havel monsters to ditch Havel's chest in favour of the Iron Clad or Jester chest. I mean, who could say no to backstab invulnerability on top of GMB + Numbness AND a whole heap of armour?????

Perhaps going back to my 16+ million soul memory character was a poor choice...

Sullichin

I really should stop playing it, but I'm so close to my rank 1 aura, (56 orbs - 10 or so from PVE drops - a hand full of losses).

I was going to try to get the rank 3 spells for the achievements to get 100%.

But I obviously don't have the patience for such broken pvp.

It's frustrating because the PVP has potential, and other Souls games aside, there's nothing really like it. It's also the most active of those games. I suggest putting your matchmaking settings on Restricted if they aren't already. It's not going to provide a totally lag free experience but I've had tons of fights with little/no lag and it really is a lot better when your opponent isn't spamming katana running attacks hoping for a phantom hit.

Still, the PVP is in better shape than DS1 was at this time. I think the biggest problem now is the insane defense stacking you can get with high level/havel's/GMB/blue tearstone. But if they just went with level based matchmaking or totally revamped Soul Memory, this could be fixed too. Another idea is to just nerf Havel's armor, but From tends to nerf things into uselessness.

Aw, fuck it. While I'm at it, this is a list of things I'd like changed in PVP. Preaching to the choir, reiterating old points, etc:

- Soul Memory as the matchmaking metric. Almost every single below point relates to this in one way or another. There's no reason to stop leveling and too much of the PVP is regulated to NG+. Simply make the metric one's level and most of these problems would be outright solved or at least vastly improved.

- The Way of the Blue covenant is a complete joke! Crestfallen sad guy tells you that other people will help you when the scary invaders come. It's a covenant made to help ease new players into invasions, and it's an awesome idea on paper. Too bad invasions are almost nonexistent in NG and if you wear that ring, you're just wasting a ring slot because no one is going to come help you. This covenant had a lot of potential. But the worst part is that it's now being used more in NG+ by gankers to get a free friend automatically when they get invaded. When it's fair to get ganged up on as an invader - like if you're fucking someone up on their way to a boss - it doesn't happen as much as when it's unfair, when all players are in NG+ with endgame gear just looking to fight.

- Havel's armor is just ridiculous, and so many people use it because why the fuck not? Why not have 2700HP and fast roll in a coat of boulders? Spam some powerstance attacks while you're at it because you've got stamina to spare. Soul Memory.

- Increase physical damage scaling (especially dex) across the board. Even if it means lowering some base attack ratings - I'd like to feel like I'm getting a return on these stat investments. Would help with build diversity (again, if SM wasn't the matchmaking metric)

- Remove estus/consumable healing from at LEAST one of the arenas. They disable it for red orb invasions but not duels?!

- Or at least nerf estus so it won't still totally heal you when I successfully interrupt your attack. Estus is too hard to punish compared to DS1 where you could casually stroll up and backstab them, and have time to send a text message on the way

- Fix running katana/spear phantom hits in some sort of reasonable way. Maybe the hitbox could be slightly narrower, maybe those attacks / counter damage can be nerfed slightly, I don't know. They're not going to fix lag but maybe they can come up with a bandaid that won't nerf these weapons too much.

- Some weapons just suck. The Black Knight Greataxe has insane stat requirements for the damage potential in PVP. I mean sure not every weapon needs to be viable for PVP but it sucks in PVE too. The biggest problem isn't even the lack of scaling damage, it's "sweet spot" damage. If the blade of the axe doesn't connect, it does far less damage. It's just frustrating to use. Craft up a Fire Malformed Skull and rack up the wins with like a third of those stat requirements. I just hope they look at what weapons people aren't using much (because they probably suck) and revisit their balancing in the same way they are fixing up the OP weapons.

Jinaar

. I suggest putting your matchmaking settings on Restricted if they aren't already. It's not going to provide a totally lag free experience but I've had tons of fights with little/no lag and it really is a lot better when your opponent isn't spamming katana running attacks hoping for a phantom hit.

I am going to do that tonight because last night a guy with what looked like a fist weapon murdered me in a heart beat and never was in striking range at all. He just attacked and even though on my screen he wasn't even near to hit me and at times not even lined up with me correctly, my life just disappeared and I died. Not the first time someone swiped at me either with a sword and even though the swipe on my screen hits dead air I take dmg and die.

Hurrah for broken PvP!

But I passed DSII last night, off to NG+!

Watched Vaatividya's ending and story explained videos. Woah, the story is soo deep and i had missed a lot of these juicy details. Its amazing.

Mmm dont want to sound bad but Vaati is confused as hell with the lore too but he works with them so he had to tune down his criticism

Soulhouf

- The Way of the Blue covenant is a complete joke! Crestfallen sad guy tells you that other people will help you when the scary invaders come. It's a covenant made to help ease new players into invasions, and it's an awesome idea on paper. Too bad invasions are almost nonexistent in NG and if you wear that ring, you're just wasting a ring slot because no one is going to come help you. This covenant had a lot of potential. But the worst part is that it's now being used more in NG+ by gankers to get a free friend automatically when they get invaded. When it's fair to get ganged up on as an invader - like if you're fucking someone up on their way to a boss - it doesn't happen as much as when it's unfair, when all players are in NG+ with endgame gear just looking to fight.

This is not true.
1/ You don't need to wear the ring to get someone summoned for help.
2/ I tried this covenant in NG+ and it works pretty well. 9 times out of 10 a blue phantom was summoned to assist me when I got invaded.

The only problem is, yeah in NG+.

There is a very easy way to fix 70% of the online problems right now like you said:
- Remove SM for matchmaking
- Make eye orbs purchasable in NG
- Remove the split between NG and NG+. There is no reason to separate them
Basically make it like in Demon's Souls/Dark Souls.

There are already a way to protect new players which is The Way of the Blue/Blue Sentinels. So why did they implement these limitations? It's contradictory and makes no sense.

Sullichin

This is not true.
1/ You don't need to wear the ring to get someone summoned for help.
2/ I tried this covenant in NG+ and it works pretty well. 9 times out of 10 a blue phantom was summoned to assist me when I got invaded.

The only problem is, yeah in NG+.

There is a very easy way to fix 70% of the online problems right now like you said:
- Remove SM for matchmaking
- Make eye orbs purchasable in NG
- Remove the split between NG and NG+. There is no reason to separate them
Basically make it like in Demon's Souls/Dark Souls.

There are already a way to protect new players which is The Way of the Blue/Blue Sentinels. So why did they implement these limitations? It's contradictory and makes no sense.

Ah, right, you don't need the ring. Still, it makes more sense as a NG covenant to help new players with invasions.

Ah, right, you don't need the ring. Still, it makes more sense as a NG covenant to help new players with invasions.
Clearly.
Just like the Blue Bros, why should we go to NG+ to be able to help Way of the Blue or buy craked blue orb (which never work for me anyway)?
(yes, i gave up on NG with Bluebro, norhing happened no matter what, i move on NG+)

taybul

The fact that you can be invaded by multiple people at the same time is BS. I don't know if it's just the nature of the covenant PvP areas (Belfry Sol and the other Belfry one) but it's almost always an insta-loss for me: one person comes up to attack, another gets in line to backstab. How is that supposed to be fair?

Huh... I read on the wiki that helping way of the blue members doesn't increase your rank as a blue sentinel? Only dueling does it?
Really?

Durante

I just had an amazing 10 minute fight with an invader, which ended with me dying and him below 20% health. It featured the use of at least 10 different spells, various maneuvering approaches from both of us, tricks around a few obstacles and a variety of attack patterns throughout the flow of the battle.

Halfway through a second invader joined, but he did not interfere and rather observed the battle, and at some point started placing markers around us.

That's why PvP is amazing.

(I played a lot today, and one battle was a meaningless lagfest. But that's just the nature of the internet)

Fuck you Darklurker. Stay fucked, and hold this L

(I played a lot today, and one battle was a meaningless lagfest. But that's just the nature of the internet)

That, along with it being nearly impossible to achieve consistent balance in both PvE and PvP, will be why people will say this game/series has poor PvP.

A lot of games can have great can have great PvP matchups and moments. Some of my favorite multiplayer moments come from the Souls series, but PvP games' worth is widely based on overall quality. There's a lot of problems holding the series back in that department.

A game more dedicated to PvP (or PvE gameplay that's just like PvP) that still makes all player actions matter (positioning, timing, resource/stat management) as much as this series does would be great. Something like a modern Bushido Blade. As it is though, complaints about Souls PvP problems are understandable.

Durante

Finally got the one item I was missing for my build (Black Witch Domino Mask):

screenshot_2014-06-09i4eg9.jpg

AlexBasch

I almost won my first PVP (and heck, it might be like my third win along the whole Souls series) match, but I panicked and choked worse than Eminem in the first part of 8 Mile and got my near full health bar destroyed.

It was the first time I have seen someone with y'know, regular equipment instead of people with insane weapons at SL20 or whatever.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Accidentally posted this in Dark Souls 1 OT (woops) but..

I made shrine of amana ng+7 with bonfire ascetics and kept using seed of the tree of giants to kill invaders.

Now I can't progress ( ≖‿≖)

Mistel

Banned

I made shrine of amana ng+7 with bonfire ascetics and kept using seed of the tree of giants to kill invaders.

Poison arrows and a bow try that it should kill them eventually.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Poison arrows and a bow try that it should kill them eventually.

Meh might just start a new chara. I'm trying to enjoy this game again (pvp wise) but finding it hard to find a build that I think is both fun and not terrible online. Was trying pyro dex and pyro is okay but dex seems underwhelming.

I just want to be a fast light character with a huge weapon and whatever armour I want. I was using Sacred Chime Hammer before which I like but the moveset doesn't lend itself well to having little to no poise.

I might try something centered around Profound Still, though. Mute everyone online. No more one or two shotting spells ;_;

Mistel

Banned
Meh might just start a new chara. I'm trying to enjoy this game again (pvp wise) but finding it hard to find a build that I think is both fun and not terrible online. Was trying pyro dex and pyro is okay but dex seems underwhelming.

I just want to be a fast light character with a huge weapon and whatever armour I want. I was using Sacred Chime Hammer before which I like but the moveset doesn't lend itself well to having little to no poise.

I might try something centered around Profound Still, though. Mute everyone online. No more one or two shotting spells ;_;
Don't be so forlorn souls vessels can allow you to respec character. So you can do that with your current one.

maomaoIYP

I don't know why but the smiley at the end of your post killed me.

Thanks ponpo, love you man.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I don't know why but the smiley at the end of your post killed me.

Thanks ponpo, love you man.

Only face I could make to hold back the tears ._.

Probably referring to reduced spellcasting speed from wearing heavier armour. Mages are often limited to lighter armour/clothes in D&D due to that reason.

That'd be nice. Actually yesterday I was thinking about how Dark Souls 2 is seemingly lacking big sacrifices for powerful spells. If you wanted to kill people quickly in Dark Souls 1 it seemed like you needed more of a 'glass cannon' build or sacrifice equipment or spell casts or something. Doesn't seem to be the case as much here?

Seed of the giants should be much more common. Much more interesting when enemies are hostile to all players and allows for more tactics like the above

J-Roderton

Beat it at SL 160 and 61 hours. Feels good man. Co-oping the Throne Of Want is so fun, by the way. Great way to farm Sunlight Medals.

Firebrand

Okay, first I'm gonna apologize for asking this here when there's a DeS thread, but I don't want to spoil myself more than necessary, so:

What do I need to know as a DaS/DaS2 player before I jump into Demon's? I hear lizards don't respawn if you miss them, there's inventory weight or limit (ew), and dex builds are actually viable. Anything more that's good to know regarding mechanics? Again, no spoilers please like super duper items, bosses etc. :) Cheers.

I think I found the one radical change I'd make to DS3: spellcasting penalties from armor (D&D-like).
I thought Dragon Age: Origins had a pretty neat system where weight meant higher stamina costs for abilities, but there melee attacks didn't use the stamina so that wouldn't translate neatly into something like Dark Souls. (And then of course you had stupid set bonuses that meant equipping a matching set of massive plate could give you a BONUS to stamina...) I do like the idea of being able to choose to be a plate mage, but with penalties that would make mages etc prefer to not use them generally. Maybe involve STR and STR requirements, I dunno.

If anything more games need to let you wear armor as a Mage so I don't think I agree with that. Magic is generally strong because it lets you take things out from safety.

If anything more games need to let you wear armor as a Mage so I don't think I agree with that. Magic is generally strong because it lets you take things out from safety.

Unless you are a hibrid melee magic class, pure magic classes wear light armor becuase they are long range and always hit from safety.

Hated dragon age because cant do any AOE attacks because of friendly fire.

Unless you are a hibrid melee magic class, pure magic classes wear light armor becuase they are long range and always hit from safety.

Hated dragon age because cant do any AOE attacks because of friendly fire.

Well, I know that but in a game like Path of Exile a spellcaster wearing armor wasn't necessarily game breaking.

Spellcasting was generally super overpowered in Dragon Age anyway, much more than the tabletop game it derives from (where spellcasters already have superior versatility).

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Hey, I was wondering if you guys have any suggested starting classes/builds for someone who wasn't too great at Dark Souls 1?I wouldn't mind a warrior/caster build but I'm up for whatever makes the game easiest.

Cheers.

Durante

Like what?
I'd make which spells you can cast dependent on which armor you're wearing. The more powerful the spell, the less encumbered you are allowed to be to cast it (in turn, you can make high-level spells a bit more powerful, since there is much more of a penalty for being able to use them). Another option would be to have casting speed scale with encumbrance (with e.g. 25 equalling the current speeds, faster below, slower above).

Hey, I was wondering if you guys have any suggested starting classes/builds for someone who wasn't too great at Dark Souls 1?I wouldn't mind a warrior/caster build but I'm up for whatever makes the game easiest.

Cheers.
Cleric. You get one of the best starting weapons, and one of the most widely applicable offensive spells rather quickly.

Soulhouf

Summon Felicia the brave. She is useless against the boss but pretty helpful as a meat shield to distract the enemies there.
She can heal too...

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Keeping in line with traditions of Dark Souls 1, wish to perform the following;
.lowest SM character (as possible) who can invade
.farming Cracked Red Eye Orb

Lowest SM character is possible, can get one at 100K and need to try to get less (to be both an effective invader while keeping Soul Memory low).

But the real problem is the Cracked Red Eye Orb, only infinite source is trading
Smooth & Silky Stones to Dyna and Tillo
. But its a gamble at best, as your Soul Memory increases as you keep using the Small White Soap Stone to gain more
Smooth & Silky Stones

Is there any other source for Cracked Red Eye Orb?

Edit: Also getting one in the
PvP Duel
is close to impossible most of the times for a low SM character, as there is no SM limit.

Guys, guys, i moved to ng+ and been sumoned by a way of the blue and help them!
TWICE!
Only 498 to go!
HAHAHAHAHAAHAH :break:

btw, i'm lvl125 with 3M something SM, should i level up like crazy or don't go over a certain limit? (i'm a miracle/mace user already 66 faith)

maomaoIYP

Edit: Also getting one in the
PvP Duel
is close to impossible most of the times for a low SM character, as there is no SM limit.

I don't have any statistics, but your best bet here is to use an infinite stunlock build.
I farmed all my orbs initially by reaching level 2 in the covenant, but I was already considerably powerful by then.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I gave up trying to find a new weapon to use and am using only pyromancies now + profound still. Working out alright, I guess, but if I run out of spells then welppppp.

Soulhouf

I gave up trying to find a new weapon to use and am using only pyromancies now + profound still. Working out alright, I guess, but if I run out of spells then welppppp.

If you're talking about PvP, Ornifex sells an unlimited amount of Amber Herb once you beat the final boss.

Top Bottom