• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Jaeger

I stayed in the Belfys all day, killing Bellbros. Got most of them, but one guy who managed to live through many attacks and hexes, took me out about 4 times.

Killing them Bellbros made me respec from Miracles to Hexes, too. They needed to be punished.

GorillaJu

I stayed in the Belfys all day, killing Bellbros. Got most of them, but one guy who managed to live through many attacks and hexes, took me out about 4 times.

Killing them Bellbros made me respec from Miracles to Hexes, too. They needed to be punished.

Bellbros deserve to be punished in disproportionately brutal ways after the hell they bestowed upon me in my first play through trying to solo the damn gargoyles as a Souls noob.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

Bellbros deserve to be punished in disproportionately brutal ways after the hell they bestowed upon me in my first play through trying to solo the damn gargoyles as a Souls noob.

I have been doing the same from the past few days in the
The Lost Bastille
, helping people cross that tower and finish that section.

Also encountered one lone Red Invader who invaded me and we both hid with camouflage, then waited for the Greys to appear (so that we can kill them). I made a mistake in that instance and got killed by a second grey who appeared almost immediately.

Lost count how many times I helped people, but it did make me better to finish that section at the end (which I did, in one try with a summon and got to the bonfire on the other side)

Guess I'll be helping out people with a Small White Soap Stone here for a while, its more more approachable and satisfying than actually invading as a Red Invader or even invading as a Grey.

--
Is there any benefit to upgrading shields if you only use them to block?

Upgrading shields increases block percentages and stability, both by tiny amounts (with stability being the important factor, even if the increments are tiny).

Ruuppa

I have been doing the same from the past few days in the
The Lost Bastille
, helping people cross that tower and finish that section.

Also encountered one lone Red Invader who invaded me and we both hid with camouflage, then waited for the Greys to appear (so that we can kill them). I made a mistake in that instance and got killed by a second grey who appeared almost immediately.

Lost count how many times I helped people, but it did make me better to finish that section at the end (which I did, in one try with a summon and got to the bonfire on the other side)

Guess I'll be helping out people with a Small White Soap Stone here for a while, its more more approachable and satisfying than actually invading as a Red Invader or even invading as a Grey.

Sooo.. How do you guys feel about Ratbros? I love being the Dungeon Master, and just letting the kidnapped guys run the gauntlet all the way near to the exit before interfering.

It's just so cute the way people keep going through it!

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Sooo.. How do you guys feel about Ratbros? I love being the Dungeon Master, and just letting the kidnapped guys run the gauntlet all the way near to the exit before interfering.

Mastering at the
Doors of Pharros
is the better place than the other, because its got more elements of interaction in that area. With the large pool of water and the Axe throwing statues being the major contributor.

Ruuppa

Mastering at the
Doors of Pharros
is the better place than the other, because its got more elements of interaction in that area. With the large pool of water and the Axe throwing statues being the major contributor.

Yeah, that area is a lot more fun for mastering. Tons more traps, more enemies, longer route etc. Grave of Saints is boring in comparison, and a lot easier to simply marathon through.

Myomoto

Mastering at the
Doors of Pharros

You can also stand on top of the platforms along the way looking like an evil mastermind.

Firebrand

I currently have a similar build (18/18 str/dex and the rest is put into vig/end/att) and I'm pretty satisfied with it.
Don't make the mistake of infusing any weapon with fire. If we except a few of them the result will usually be mediocre.
Depending on the weapon you want to use, go normal upgrade or raw.
As for the spells, since I have a lot of slots, I just put there the most powerful pyromancies I have and use them when needed.

I use lightning on my estocs instead STR/FTH physical build 147/147 C/E/B scaling seems to do alright as fth scaling is alright.

As for pure physical get a homoculus mace or a mace either will be good. Or if you want a greathammer with the halberds moveset then get archdrake mace which is the same weight as the mace.

Estoc is a beast on a pure STR build. You need the Ring of Blades and about 40 STR, but at +10 it will deal consistent damage to every thing, and really high damage to the especially squishy targets.

It's lovely~

B scaling with STR, above-average poise damage and almost-rapier attack speed

The funny thing about STR build is all the infuse stones rot away in bonfire storage.
Thanks for your input guys, I still have a couple of soul vessels so I'm gonna try playing with the points to see if there's any way to raise the damage numbers. Might cut into the attunement, I have it at 30 and the +2 southern ritual band since, well, I'm a hoarder of spells, but in practice D-padding through 8 spells in combat is a bit cumbersome, hah.

What makes fire in particular so bad, if that's the case? Is it just that people tend to have high fire resistance, perhaps because of it going up with either int/faith? I still don't quite grasp how damage is calculated, if adding % damage will add a corresponding % increase on an armored target, or if once you get over the defense "hump" damage goes up faster (which would make the ring of blades a bit more useful).

Have to say I'm not crazy about the fire scaling, even if the int/faith bonus isn't much compared to the pyro glove stats, it still feels like that if you're pumping points into spell stats you might as well use those schools of magic.

Mistel

Banned
The summon rate was super slow last few days, i don't why.
Waiting 5 to 15 min between summon. (Pharros. In Grave, no one showed up and in 45 min...)
still managed to get rank 3 but god that was boring.
Your out of range of those in the area by the sounds of it what is your SM?

Xeroblade

The summon rate was super slow last few days, i don't why.
Waiting 5 to 15 min between summon. (Pharros. In Grave, no one showed up and in 45 min...)
still managed to get rank 3 but god that was boring.

Sounds like the Bellbros once you hit around 135 to 150, i rarely get summoned but as soon as i walk in of course i get invaded which is fine taking 2 people on is great practice sometimes.

Soulhouf

What makes fire in particular so bad, if that's the case? Is it just that people tend to have high fire resistance, perhaps because of it going up with either int/faith? I still don't quite grasp how damage is calculated, if adding % damage will add a corresponding % increase on an armored target, or if once you get over the defense "hump" damage goes up faster (which would make the ring of blades a bit more useful).

At high faith(50) I was doing 2300+ damage with chaos storm/chaos fire ball/Forbidden Sun and at 8 faith/1 int the damage was around 1700 IIRC..
Are you using the Penal Gauntlets? They provide a small boost to pyromancy so it's a must.

Firebrand

At high faith(50) I was doing 2300+ damage with chaos storm/chaos fire ball/Forbidden Sun and at 8 faith/1 int the damage was around 1700 IIRC..
Are you using the Penal Gauntlets? They provide a small boost to pyromancy so it's a must.
Nah, they look so weird :p

I was thinking more about fire infusions / buffs in a PvP setting vs physical, lightning etc. Actual spells are working fine enough, Forbidden Sun is nice even though it does at most 50% of someone's HP in damage. At least it's relatively easy to hit with without leading the target.

GorillaJu

Rat bros are fine with me because 1) the rat king is awesome, 2) you get summoned as a grey spirit and don't lose your humanity when you die and 3) it's much more fun than someone just joining in your game to stop you from killing a boss.

Firebrand

Yeah, ratbros are fun to be "invaded" by. Nothing to lose really (well, I guess your durability in the Grave), and if you win you get loot. In particular the Pharros course is interesting. I'd love to see them build on this concept in their next game. Maybe lots of doors and bridges to make custom routes.

It is all kept for every covenant I believe.
Ah nice. I think I'm getting close to that elusive Sentinel rank 1 though, so I think I'll just grind out the remaining points.

Hugstable

Banned
Hey I didn't know where else to ask this and thought someone might be able to help me out. Where can I find the Durante Dark Souls fix for PC? Just about to finish my Demon's Souls playthrough and wanna start playing Dark Souls for the first time but I have no idea what I need to do to fix it. If anyone is able to help that would be awesome. Gotta prepare myself to play Dark Souls 2 on PC and Bloodborne :D

Firebrand

Hey I didn't know where else to ask this and thought someone might be able to help me out. Where can I find the Durante Dark Souls fix for PC? Just about to finish my Demon's Souls playthrough and wanna start playing Dark Souls for the first time but I have no idea what I need to do to fix it. If anyone is able to help that would be awesome. Gotta prepare myself to play Dark Souls 2 on PC and Bloodborne :D
You can find it here: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix
Remember to turn off anti-aliasing ingame.

Hi Hugstable! Enjoy Dark Souls! Probably one of my favorite games of all time.

There is an ini file with the DkS fix that let you unlock FPS and fix rendering resolution. Make sure to look through the whole file and fiddle with each option to get a good performance. Also as stated above, turn off the in-game anti-aliasing, it screws up the render when using DkS fix.

Hugstable

Banned
You can find it here: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix
Remember to turn off anti-aliasing ingame.

Thanks for the link, gonna download it and try it out right now.

Hi Hugstable! Enjoy Dark Souls! Probably one of my favorite games of all time.

There is an ini file with the DkS fix that let you unlock FPS and fix rendering resolution. Make sure to look through the whole file and fiddle with each option to get a good performance. Also as stated above, turn off the in-game anti-aliasing, it screws up the render when using DkS fix.

Hey Phoenix! Yee I'm pretty excited to play it coming off my first Demon's Souls playthrough. I didn't expect to like these games as much as I did since I tried it at my buddies once for a few hours, got my ass whopped all over the place and didn't really get into it then. Then the PSN sale happened for DeS and since I actually started playing it I've been hooked. Thanks for the info too, if I can get the game at 1080p with a stable 30fps framerate I'm gonna be in heaven!

Edit: Aright I got everything working! Thanks again. Is the game always in Offline mode since GFWL is going away? The game right off the bat tells me I'm not signed in and will not be able to save. I click on the Live button on the main menu to see if I could connect but it did nothing. Will my game really not be able to save, or is it just referring to the online portion?

Jaeger

I bit the bullet, and joined the club of anti-backstabbing with the Jester's Robes.

After getting back-stabbed about 4 times yesterday where I was literally 2 rolls away in distance, I can't take it anymore. I went full Jester's Set, actually. Walking around with that giant Butcher's Knife and the Jester's Set makes me feel like I'm doing some killer clown cosplay!

Ruuppa

Aright I got everything working! Thanks again. Is the game always in Offline mode since GFWL is going away? The game right off the bat tells me I'm not signed in and will not be able to save. I click on the Live button on the main menu to see if I could connect but it did nothing. Will my game really not be able to save, or is it just referring to the online portion?

It should be online.. At least mine is. I don't know what's up with that.

I bit the bullet, and joined the club of anti-backstabbing with the Jester's Robes.

After getting back-stabbed about 4 times yesterday where I was literally 2 rolls away in distance, I can't take it anymore. I went full Jester's Set, actually. Walking around with that giant Butcher's Knife and the Jester's Set makes me feel like I'm doing some killer clown cosplay!

Mmm.. Butcher's Knife. Wish it was a bit lighter though; 22 weight is a bit too much for the damage. But that moveset is so damn good! Doing a Maneater Mildred cosplay with it, and having a whale of a time.

Alrighty, my week long DkS2 break is over now that I'm done with the Type 0 fantranslation.

Time to start NG+4, this time with a melee DEX build for extra challenge since the scaling is atrocious and it has the lowest damage output of them all.

NG+++ was done with a hybrid STR/FAI build, NG++ was done with a pure STR melee build and NG+ was done with a pure FAI lightning build (which I felt really guilty about since it was a cakewalk and required zero thought and skill to execute).

Whoopee.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to be 'Bloodborne'
(There is some weird charm with those 'Imported cloth'ing and that unique axe)

4BB65EF13CA56922527791674EFA18ED0DB049D7

Mogwai

Excuse my lazy behavior, but can someone tell me whether Ring of Life Protection neglect death counts?

I think in relation to the counter on the stone in Majula.

Is buring a bonfire ascetic at 1st bonfire in Iron Keep a good way to farm souls? Or is it a waist of an ascetic? How hard will it make it?

Is buring a bonfire ascetic at 1st bonfire in Iron Keep a good way to farm souls? Or is it a waist of an ascetic? How hard will it make it?
Ascetics aren't that rare, but that is a waste of them. It puts that area in to NG+, so enemies might take a hit or two extra depending on your gear.

If you want to farm souls, do co-op. That's the most profitable way to farm souls.

Excuse my lazy behavior, but can someone tell me whether Ring of Life Protection neglect death counts?

I doubt it since you can't use them on a no-death run, so I assume they would count for the death count number too.

Still counts as a death, it only prevents you for losing your human form and souls

Do coop, free human form for everyone

Danny 117

Any good mage sets that anyone can recommend?
I've been through that poison area and also encountered the lost sinner (haven't defeated her yet)
The mage guy that was a statue at Sinner's rise has been freed, also. Unfortunately I used some of my boss souls stupidly so can't trade for his nice set.

Mistel

Banned
Any good mage sets that anyone can recommend?
I've been through that poison area and also encountered the lost sinner (haven't defeated her yet)
The mage guy that was a statue at Sinner's rise has been freed, also. Unfortunately I used some of my boss souls stupidly so can't trade for his nice set.
Lion mage set or the black witch set which you get later.

Top Bottom