• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

You can get plenty more as the game goes on, there is also a ring you can get very, very early on that reduces the amount of HP you lose when hollow.

Put down your summon sign and if you manage to beat the boss in another player's world you'll get restored back to human AND you can then summon someone to help with the boss (if they've put down their summon sign) if you like.

EDIT: While I'm here I'll ask a question of my own: Is there a down side to levelling too much? I'm in the mid 90s at the moment (my soul memory is around 550K I believe)? Will this eventually lock me out from summoning people and being summoned? I really enjoy helping people beat bossess and as I have just joined the Sun Bros I plan to do a lot of it for the rewards.
Thanks guys, I actually beat it just now using the crossbow and heavy bolts. Didn't know about summons and that ring.. thanks for the info guys.

Dyno

I'm sort of stuck in Belfrey Luna. Sorta stuck, but kinda loving it.

I'm in the 70s for level. I'm putting my white sign down to co-op the gargoyle bosses. It's tough to get picked up because any invaders makes the sign disappear. I've been fighting invaders, lots of invaders. What's good is that I'm killing most of them!

I'm a duel swordsman with 22 in Str. and Dex., 14 in the phyiscal skills, everything else 10 or under. I've got Fire Longsword and Heide Knight Sword both up to +5. What's great is they hit like trucks at this level. Nobody has any massive armour! I break their poise with either shot. I don't even lock-on, I just clip them with a sword and they stagger, two or three more shots and their at 1/4 health running around like fools.

I've been playing two whole evenings like this. I'll just level up here for a while...

Mistel

Banned
While I'm here I'll ask a question of my own: Is there a down side to levelling too much? I'm in the mid 90s at the moment (my soul memory is around 550K I believe)? Will this eventually lock me out from summoning people and being summoned? I really enjoy helping people beat bossess and as I have just joined the Sun Bros I plan to do a lot of it for the rewards.
Soul memory is the deciding factor for summoning levels aren't taken into account.

J-Roderton

Working on my new build. All STR and FTH. Miracles straight up make this game easy mode. (For me at least.) Actually made it through the Wharf with no deaths this time after I struggled in my first playthrough. And dat cleric mace...wow. Just wish I could hurry up and get to the sunlight altar so I could be earning sunlight medals in the process since I'm helping with bosses left and right. Is it possible to run in there and join the covenant early on in the game? I forgot how to get there.

Ruuppa

Working on my new build. All STR and FTH. Miracles straight up make this game easy mode. (For me at least.) Actually made it through the Wharf with no deaths this time after I struggled in my first playthrough. And dat cleric mace...wow. Just wish I could hurry up and get to the sunlight altar so I could be earning sunlight medals in the process since I'm helping with bosses left and right. Is it possible to run in there and join the covenant early on in the game? I forgot how to get there.

Dragonrider -> Skeleton Lords is the only route there. Pretty easy with the Mace, since the Lords are horrifyingly weak to it.

Renekton

Talk to cleric chick in Heide Tower of Flame (after dragonrider boss) until she repeats her lines
Go back to majula-heide sewer path to pay chick to unlock path to huntsman copse
Kill skeleton lords boss in hunstman copse
Progress to Harvest Valley
Progress to Earthen Peak
Bottom of Earthen Peak (the watery part) there is a small path to the sun guy

EDIT: While I'm here I'll ask a question of my own: Is there a down side to levelling too much? I'm in the mid 90s at the moment (my soul memory is around 550K I believe)? Will this eventually lock me out from summoning people and being summoned? I really enjoy helping people beat bossess and as I have just joined the Sun Bros I plan to do a lot of it for the rewards.
Eventually soul memory will fuck you over with concerns to co-op, it's inevitable. You should be good for a while yet, but once you reach a couple million souls it's difficult to be summoned for anything but the final boss. As for leveling, that's up to you since soul level no longer matters at all - you either stop leveling because you reached a point you're comfortable with or you join the over-levelled masses and level up indefinately because that's who you will be facing in pvp and co-op - and that's the broken mess that is DS2.

Only Bloodborne can save us now!

Chitown B

bought day one but wanted to 100% DS1 first. Got stuck a bit on O&S in NG+, and still haven't played DS2. I think I might just wait for an inevitable X1 port. Not a PC gamer really.

I am getting destroyed on Drangelic castle first bonfire, I opened all the doors and the sentinels just swarmed me. Cant deal enough damage to get them down

Ruuppa

I am getting destroyed on Drangelic castle first bonfire, I opened all the doors and the sentinels just swarmed me. Cant deal enough damage to get them down

Lure them out one by one, and make use of the fact that the big guys can't get into the Bonfire room. Lame it out man :D

So,
the three snakes represent the three kings
, still dont finish the rat covenant lore but the rat king talks about a king who didnt keep his promise of let the rats be in peace underground

Ruuppa

So,
the three snakes represent the three kings
, still dont finish the rat covenant lore but the rat king talks about a king who didnt keep his promise of let the rats be in peace underground

Buh? I thought they were meant to represent the Primordial Serpents, and the beheading of them meaning that Vendrick killed them/didn't believe them or something.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Buh? I thought they were meant to represent the Primordial Serpents, and the beheading of them meaning that Vendrick killed them/didn't believe them or something.
Could it possibly be both? Perhaps the 3 kings rose to power from taking counsel of 3 primordial serpents, then Vendrick and conquered each in turn and in his distrust of the serpents slayed each them.

Could it possibly be both? Perhaps the 3 kings rose to power from taking counsel of 3 primordial serpents, then Vendrick and conquered each in turn and in his distrust of the serpents slayed each them.

I think serpents and snakes are not the same thing, also those kings before Vendrink were not good people

I've done it

I've finally abused the rings of life protection for so long that my soul memory no longer allows me summon, invade or end up playing alongside anyone in any way

I can run through both Belfries without seeing any other people.

Booshka

I've done it

I've finally abused the rings of life protection for so long that my soul memory no longer allows me summon, invade or end up playing alongside anyone in any way

I can run through both Belfries without seeing any other people.

Go to NG+ and you will see the horrors of high SM PvP.

Just got there yesterday on my PC character 15+ Million Soul Memory, it's a magical zone. Luckily my SL 135 STR build can still hang, pancaking Havel Monsters and MastoHelix players just the same.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anyone else using the ENB GEM mod? After a while on it I think it changes the atmosphere for the better. The differences in dark areas makes it feel like the game originally seemed to intend.

Jaeger

Channeler's Trident +10, Infused with Poison. :) Also, having super fun with the Butcher's Knife. It feels like a sword, that an axe.

Booshka

I didn't, although I did see it gets a small boost in attack power. Does it change the scaling aswell? Should I go ahead and make it raw?

Weapons that have terrible scaling that you want to do Physical damage should be either Mundane (if your lowest stat is 20) or Raw if you can't do Mundane.

Butcher Knife has really bad scaling, so it's best to just make it Raw and get the boost in damage from the base damage going up.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Does anyone here just keep remaking NG characters in order to stay at a low-ish soul memory for online play? I'm thinking of trying this out because of how boring NG+ / high soul memory PVP is.

Fighting the exact same SL250+ build over and over again is getting really lame.

Mistel

Banned
Channeler's Trident +10, Infused with Poison. :) Also, having super fun with the Butcher's Knife. It feels like a sword, that an axe.
Go raw for just a pure damage increase physically or fire/lightning for B scaling in their respective stats.

Does anyone here just keep remaking NG characters in order to stay at a low-ish soul memory for online play? I'm thinking of trying this out because of how boring NG+ / high soul memory PVP is.

Fighting the exact same SL250+ build over and over again is getting really lame.
This is what I do, but I did the same in DS1 too. I just prefer the early part of the game and low level play overall. Soul memory effectively puts an end to that eventually unfortunately.

Ruuppa

You could run through the game trying to get as low as SM as possible, then backup your save before moving to NG+. That way you could get into somewhat good PVP matches on NG+ without remaking a character from scratch all the time.

Jaeger

Go raw for just a pure damage increase physically or fire/lightning for B scaling in their respective stats.

Weapons that have terrible scaling that you want to do Physical damage should be either Mundane (if your lowest stat is 20) or Raw if you can't do Mundane.

Butcher Knife has really bad scaling, so it's best to just make it Raw and get the boost in damage from the base damage going up.

Do you infuse Raw on the knife?

Infused with Raw for that better damage output. Been running that, Holy Water + Poison Throwing knives, and the Butcher's Knife for moderate success. To keep weight down I'm wearing light armor so I can fast roll.

GorillaJu

Dark Spirit NICKI MINAJ has invaded.

7N5snkd.png

Taking the cosplay to even deeper levels of stupidity.

taybul

What's a good STR setup? So far I've been dumping my points in STR and VGR and on occasion, END for some stamina. I'm using some Havels and power stancing Clubs. I'm just focusing so much on PvP at the moment. Any recommendations/suggestions?

Mistel

Banned
What's a good STR setup? So far I've been dumping my points in STR and VGR and on occasion, END for some stamina. I'm using some Havels and power stancing Clubs. I'm just focusing so much on PvP at the moment. Any recommendations/suggestions?
Use a pursuer ultra greatsword, large club, gyrm great hammer, and gyrm axes if you've got them. They are all good strength scaling weapons.

J-Roderton

Yeah. I started NG+ and just didn't feel like playing a harder version of the game with the same character I had made. I know I can respec but just wanted to try out some new stuff. Either way I'm going to have to find all the keys again, etc. Now I can just work on my full playthrough with original difficulty. Trying to get everything in every area and take out every boss. I'm also getting summoned a hell of a lot more to agree with your post. And I only play PVE/co-op.

I just made a new character and finish the game to be ready for the DLC.
I finished the game several times before, so i knew exactly what to do to get my build.
It was a quick and efficient playthrough > low SM in the end (3Million), result : much interesting PVP.

Firebrand

So... my character is currently into fire and faith, with only 12/12 str/dex. Terrible idea for a character that relies a lot on melee? I'm currently using a Fire Estoc +10, with Flame Weapon and well... apparantely it's more amusing than deadly. Got invaded by a guy in the Abyss who I could barely scratch. After me wearing down my weapon *twice* while he was chugging estus he just gave up and turned his back to me and let me kill him, lol.

I've tried playing around with reallocating between str, dex and faith, but the overall damage doesn't really go up (~347 split evenly between physical and fire), and the bonus from attributes on the estoc isn't more than between 20 and 40 on either physical and fire anyway. Maybe fire just stinks? I didn't wanna do another lightning-chucking cleric, but decided to pop points into faith for the fire bonus.

This was the first guy I've had real problems dealing damage to though, and he wasn't haveling either. I'm at ~2.5K soul memory, still NG.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
This is what I do, but I did the same in DS1 too. I just prefer the early part of the game and low level play overall. Soul memory effectively puts an end to that eventually unfortunately.

(._. )

You could run through the game trying to get as low as SM as possible, then backup your save before moving to NG+. That way you could get into somewhat good PVP matches on NG+ without remaking a character from scratch all the time.

Seems like encounters would be rare on NG+ with a lowish SM though?

Soulhouf

So... my character is currently into fire and faith, with only 12/12 str/dex. Terrible idea for a character that relies a lot on melee? I'm currently using a Fire Estoc +10, with Flame Weapon and well... apparantely it's more amusing than deadly. Got invaded by a guy in the Abyss who I could barely scratch. After me wearing down my weapon *twice* while he was chugging estus he just gave up and turned his back to me and let me kill him, lol.

I've tried playing around with reallocating between str, dex and faith, but the overall damage doesn't really go up (~347 split evenly between physical and fire), and the bonus from attributes on the estoc isn't more than between 20 and 40 on either physical and fire anyway. Maybe fire just stinks? I didn't wanna do another lightning-chucking cleric, but decided to pop points into faith for the fire bonus.

This was the first guy I've had real problems dealing damage to though, and he wasn't haveling either. I'm at ~2.5K soul memory, still NG.

I currently have a similar build (18/18 str/dex and the rest is put into vig/end/att) and I'm pretty satisfied with it.
Don't make the mistake of infusing any weapon with fire. If we except a few of them the result will usually be mediocre.
Depending on the weapon you want to use, go normal upgrade or raw.
As for the spells, since I have a lot of slots, I just put there the most powerful pyromancies I have and use them when needed.

Mistel

Banned
That was I was thinking, but I couldn't really see with the abyss shaders going on.

I guess I should upgrade a pure physical weapon, just in case.
I use lightning on my estocs instead STR/FTH physical build 147/147 C/E/B scaling seems to do alright as fth scaling is alright.

As for pure physical get a homoculus mace or a mace either will be good. Or if you want a greathammer with the halberds moveset then get archdrake mace which is the same weight as the mace.

Booshka

Estoc is a beast on a pure STR build. You need the Ring of Blades and about 40 STR, but at +10 it will deal consistent damage to every thing, and really high damage to the especially squishy targets.

Renekton

Estoc is a beast on a pure STR build. You need the Ring of Blades and about 40 STR, but at +10 it will deal consistent damage to every thing, and really high damage to the especially squishy targets.
It's lovely~

B scaling with STR, above-average poise damage and almost-rapier attack speed

The funny thing about STR build is all the infuse stones rot away in bonfire storage.

GorillaJu

I've been trying to find the head piece that looks like a jewel on the forehead with a few thin chains attached to it. I've seen it in game in Ds2 but I'm thinking it may be one of the rare pieces that can't be acquired by players. Do you guys know what I'm talking about?

Edit: it's Lion Warrior Helm. Had to scour that head armor wiki a few times. Whoops.

Top Bottom