• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Ruuppa

Nah, Old Sun Ring is easy to dodge usually and ROT doesn't do that much damage. I wasn't sure how I felt about these rings when the game first came out but I think they're fine really.

Gimmick builds, ehn. I got punked a couple of times by the Old Sun Ring; That's what I get for mashing R1 I guess. I figure that with the huge defense of that setup you could simply stand and harangue the host, but not actually be horribly efficient at killing them. Might be fun for a couple of invasions.

Come to think of it, I also got smashed by Karmic Justice in DkS1 as well. Once. That was the only time I ever saw anyone use it.

Firebrand

Hmm... to start Demon's Souls... or make yet another joke character in Dark Souls 2. Choices!

I'm starting to learn which path leads to Iron Keep, and which one to Pharros. But only barely, I still mess it up sometimes. This game really doesn't give me a sense of a cohesive world.

Sullichin

Dont remember very well but I had 8 spaces at 34 unless it was changed in one of their calibrations, try to respec.

Nah, he linked to DS1 wiki. Maybe you were wearing Southern Ritual Band?

Gimmick builds, ehn. I got punked a couple of times by the Old Sun Ring; That's what I get for mashing R1 I guess.

Come to think of it, I also got smashed by Karmic Justice in DkS1 as well. Once. That was the only time I ever saw anyone use it.

There's a slight delay before Old Sun Ring explodes, which can catch you if you're out of stamina. That tends to be the case when I'm hit with it. I have a harder time dodging Ring of Thorns but maybe I just don't know the MLG pro strats. Don't really see it much and it doesn't do much damage anyway.

No, different buffs stack.

Try out Sacred Oath, Numbness, Great magic barrier, Resonant Flesh, then buff your weapon.

Get like 3K health and insane defense, it's totally balanced and leads to quality PvP encounters.

You've never been able to stack self buffs like this in DeS/DaS, wouldn't be surprised if it was patched out.

Well, my new game is over. Got the build i want.
Except Wrath of The Gods, because blue sentinel covenant is broken, boring and the requirement are stupid.

lvl 121, SM 2121125, done in 21 hours.

Gonna ascetic some bonfires to get some useful rings from bosses, then i'm done and gonna wait for the DLC.
I already done the game 4 times, that's enough.

Pissed off though, can't complete Navlaan quest, i kill the mimic who got the staff he wanted, but died in the same time. Result : nothing, item gone. Screwed.
Happens with Lincia too in another playthrough.
Start to wonder if they even beta test the game.

Pissed off though, can't complete Navlaan quest, i kill the mimic who got the staff he wanted, but died in the same time. Result : nothing, item gone. Screwed.
Happens with Lincia too in another playthrough.
Start to wonder if they even beta test the game.

what about killing them? I was kinda sad when I heard you can do the assassinations quests without killing anyone

Mistel

Banned
Talk to Felkin with 20 INT and 20 FTH you get one given to you or just kill him. So you're not screwed if you want to carry on.

NBtoaster

The game is placed in Vilheim, another continent

Its not silly From even said it DS2 didnt have a relation with DS1 in the beggining of the game development, the game is about centuries ahead of DS1 in their effort to make then looks unique and insert wharever new mechanic they intended to do for the sake of a fresh game which I agree.

You enter the game, visit the old ladies which instantly changes the game enviroment, everything changed, new, then you visit Majula and you heard about the war destroyed the land not the curse itself which is a cool settings before you venturing in the forest, the fortress and then you find Heide....

Bamm !!! lets screw "DS1 fans" with this zone lore, this where you know who really read the lore to understand this is not lordran and the new studio team dont care about bringing DS1 elements without explanation in a new area, first at all you find a undead who linked the fire as one of the first old warriors you find there, second one the fire tower is a reference about gwynivere husband maybe they landed here? but who knows this is never explained ingame then you find who push the idea about the "first flame events are too far away no one knows what happened" and yes the infamous Old dragonsalyer which will be cause of endless discussion about who shot first unless the studio just throw a coin and decided who really is.

I would expand it more but after Heide you will find DS1 weapons with description about a "long time ago", "no one knows","a distant land","a forgoten warrior","no ones remember this name" giving you the impression you are lordran.

The bosses souls are an alegory about DS1 instead of their own, special mention to the Irong king with Gwyn but they basically related the old ones with the lords falling again depending of DS1 and dont get me start with
Nashandra

But yeah thats my opinion.

I don't think there's anything in the game that indicates it's a seperate continent. Everything indicates it's the same place as Lordran far into the future.

And they never said there would be no relation to DS1, there were always going to be references to it. It is a sequel after all.

Not sure what is wrong with the boss souls.
Their story is the lord souls will continue to be reborn and exist in the land, and how someone will eventually collect them and a build a kingdom with their power. Fragments of Manus are also reborn, this time as Nashandra.

NBtoaster

Some examples please of them being the same place.

It's never explicitly said of course, but you can infer it from:

-the presence of the lordvessel
-the presence of the altar of sunlight
-the kiln-like throne of want and how Nahandra covets the first flame within
-the suspiciously crytalline home home of the duke and Seath's remanifestation, how Tark's old master resented others (the dragons) for what he (Seath) lacked and drove himself mad
-the presense of the black knight weapons, Havel's, other returning items
-Darkdiver Grandahl mentions how the dark was once a void but is now scattered fragments
-and of course how the old ones, who's names have been forgotten have gathered in one place again.

Booshka

My new saying for those players that have to buff 3-5 times before they start a fight is, "Getting all their Buffs in a Row."

Pass it around and make it a thing, until From (hopefully) patches out all the buff stacking.

Ketch

So I just bought this game, and I've kept myself in the dark since release so I'm going to try to go through it without any internet help (at least until I really really really want to quit). I thought the first one was easier then I originally expected so hopefully that means I can experience this one in it's purest form.

However, before I get started, I have to know: Are there any critical mods or fan fixes that I need to have? I'm not talking about some silly ENB or whatever they're called... I mean is there a DSFix equivalent that is basically required in order to play the game the "right" way?

Mistel

Banned

-the suspiciously crytalline home home of the duke and Seath's remanifestation, how Tark's old master resented others (the dragons) for what he (Seath) lacked and drove himself mad
-Darkdiver Grandahl mentions how the dark was once a void but is now scattered fragments
-and of course how the old ones, who's names have been forgotten have gathered in one place again.
  • First one cold be the prize taken back following the invasion in the first place.
  • The throne of want looks like the kiln?
  • That in conjuncture with the pale drake souls is a reasonable assumption.
  • Assumption that they weren't taken back as spoils or simply different versions of the same thing.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
  • First one cold be the prize taken back following the invasion in the first place.
  • Assumption that they weren't taken back as spoils or simply different versions of the same thing.

Ornstein is in the game too..and the is the 'old' dragonslayer, and you fight him in a new londo-esque chapel castle thingamajing

I don't think there's anything in the game that indicates it's a seperate continent. Everything indicates it's the same place as Lordran far into the future.

Lingering Dragoncrest ring pretty much debunked that alonside with vendrink backstory and
nashandra
coming from lordran to bring the king to other land.

See my point now? The new studio were reusing everything of DS1 to confuse you instead of actual thinking about humans finally embracing the dark and manus presence is already on humans as Hexes and the curse moving throw blood now and the posibility of manipulation of the curse.

But I am going to far because some are still stuck thinking if the game is in lordran or not so what was the point of moving ahead so much in time if you are gotta rely everything on the first game.

Also there is not a "Lordvessel" there several empty lordvessel placed in that world but that was already retconed and modified for DS2 sake.

Edit: found a pic there are more in the sides of the room

TgHs7XL.jpg

Zukuu

Banned
So now that the PC version is out, did anyone bother to test Adaptability more intensive, with frame counts and such?

NBtoaster

The little chamber the throne is a kiln, and the whole area is flooded with ash. Also if the Herald calls you "you who links the fire" then the first flame should be there..

I'm not sure why Vendrick would need to plunder a lordvessel when he had already become king by collecting the lord souls.

Lingering Dragoncrest ring pretty much debunked that alonside with vendrink backstory and
nashandra
coming from lordran to bring the king to other land.

See my point now? The new studio were reusing everything of DS1 to confuse you instead of actual thinking about humans finally embracing the dark and manus presence is already on humans as Hexes and the curse moving throw blood now and the posibility of manipulation of the curse.

But I am going to far because some are still stuck thinking if the game is in lordran or not so what was the point of moving ahead so much in time if you are gotta rely everything on the first game.

Also there is not a "Lordvessel" there several empty lordvessel placed in that world but that was already retconed and modified for DS2 sake.

Edit: found a pic there are more in the sides of the room

TgHs7XL.jpg

The Dragoncrest ring was used in Lordran too, not just Vinheim, that's pretty weak evidence for it.

Why should everything be seperate from DS1? They moved everything ahead so they could create a new kingdom and different areas, but it is still a sequel, and part of the game is discovering what has happened since the first game. It's not just reusing old stuff, it's extending and developing the lore of the whole series.

Servbot24

Banned
Just beat the game for the first time! Took nearly 60 hours (DaS took me 80, can't remember how long DeS took). I wasn't super completionist, but I did beat every boss and light every bonfire. DeS > DaS > DaSII, but all three are fantastic! Bring on Bloodborne. :)

Booshka

Thanks. Even before I knew this I always aimed for 100 agility. It just felt right to me when I was playing.

Same, a lot of ppl did 20 ADP with low ATT for 96 agility, but I went to 100 agility and it immediately felt better. Wasn't surprised when I found out it was a good breakpoint to shoot for.

NBtoaster

Nashandra used him to invade the land of the giants for it. That's why they came here to get it back.

What for? Wallegar only mentions the ability to create golems.
I thought that would be from the Giant's Kinship given only with that do the golems animate at the end of the game.

Going back to the DS1 references thing, some DS1 elements are useful for the plot (or were at least made to be), some are not (like pretty much a lot of random pieces of DS1 equipment that make me wonder how they survived over constant re-birthing generations).

The little chamber the throne is a kiln, and the whole area is flooded with ash. Also if the Herald calls you "you who links the fire" then the first flame should be there..

I'm not sure why Vendrick would need to plunder a lordvessel when he had already become king by collecting the lord souls.

The Dragoncrest ring was used in Lordran too, not just Vinheim, that's pretty weak evidence for it.

Why should everything be seperate from DS1? They moved everything ahead so they could create a new kingdom and different areas, but it is still a sequel, and part of the game is discovering what has happened since the first game. It's not just reusing old stuff, it's extending and developing the lore of the whole series.

The dragon crest was made in vinheim you cant find it in lordran, you bought it.

And no, the emerald whised you could be the one who relink the fire
but you didnt, she seals you away until you decide what to do.

Vendrink wanted to relink the fire but he didnt wanted to sacrifice himself to the fire, he wasnt that stupid. Maybe he destroyed the vessel to avoid nashandra use it and trick an undead to sacrifice himself and absorb his soul.

I agree with you but Drangelic is not lordran but another continent thats the main contradiction maybe the DLC would help us but I will hated them if they use the time travel mumbo jumbo like the memory of the giants part.

I thought that would be from the Giant's Kinship given only with that do the golems animate at the end of the game.

She passed him the art of infuse the souls (via oolacile) to innanimate objets bringing the birth (again) of the sentinels guards, ruin sentinels, taming of animals and the golems using the souls of giants.

NBtoaster

I don't like that theory. It seems to make the story pretty flawed. Drangleic = Lordran makes better sense with the rest of the game.

Mistel

Banned
I don't know not actually explained that much other than the golems and the giants are different things.

Because it's dumb, period.

Like me, because i already killed the old guy in the wheelchair to obtain the Dragon chime.
So technically, i'm already a sinner.
So i'm gonna kill that stupid hex Hex guy and complete this quest.
So all my post above are stupid and irrelevant.
So i'm leaving in silence and go meditate under a waterfall during 100 days and 100 nights.

4.gif

Soulhouf

My new saying for those players that have to buff 3-5 times before they start a fight is, "Getting all their Buffs in a Row."

Pass it around and make it a thing, until From (hopefully) patches out all the buff stacking.

It comes to soul memory issue once more. If they remove SM, they will basically fix 90% of the PvP problems.
Besides, these buffs don't last for long.
All the people I fought and who were using these buffs were wasting their time because not only some of them are irrelevant (magic defense LOL) but also they quickly wear off and they are impossible to cast again without being destroyed.

Minamu

Yes.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/25lnny/agility_and_iframe_correlation_data/

tl;dr 100 Agility is what you should go for to get optimal i-frames for stat investment. ADP increases Agility by 0.75 per level, ATT is 0.25 per level. So all into ADP, or a combination of the two.
Isn't it 105 for 13 iframes? I'm thinking of respeccing again and add more to attunement since my 30 ADP goes above 110 agility and 105 was the concensus before for optimization.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Is it a good idea to use my only human effigy if I know the Pursuer's gonna get me? I'm missing half of my total HP :/

Put down your summon sign and if you manage to beat the boss in another player's world you'll get restored back to human AND you can then summon someone to help with the boss (if they've put down their summon sign) if you like.

EDIT: While I'm here I'll ask a question of my own: Is there a down side to levelling too much? I'm in the mid 90s at the moment (my soul memory is around 550K I believe)? Will this eventually lock me out from summoning people and being summoned? I really enjoy helping people beat bossess and as I have just joined the Sun Bros I plan to do a lot of it for the rewards.

Top Bottom