• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Vyktal

Beat the final boss a couple weeks ago and I've been having a break for exams. I made a STR based character and loved every second of clearing everything with the Greatsword. I gave myself the challenge of beating every boss alone and not looking up strategies, and I'm pleased to say I only looked up how to beat the Ruin Sentinels and needed help for the Smelter Demon... oh and needed help for the Dragonriders.... and the Throne Guardians... that's all! Next playthough though I'm going to do way more Sunbro-ing!

Other thoughts:
- I wish they did more with some of the levels. I was particularly disappointed with the length of Heide's Tower.
- I like how dynamic the PVP is at the moment. Like in DS, I suck at PVP because I enjoy big slow weapons and hate any magic except for Pyro, but with the "PVP guide" posted last page I might try get into it again
- Why did nothing important/bad happen in Majula? One of my favourite bits of DS was when you come back to find the 'home' bonfire extinguished and have to go on this strange hunt. Majula is your safe haven, but I found it too safe and too reassuring. I would have loved to have gone back there with it being all creepy and in darkness due to evil shenanigans.
- Why is the Ring of Life Protection popular? The way you beat the game is through trial-and-deathrror. Holding onto your humanity and souls when you die this one time doesn't seem to me like it'll make a big difference. Especially since souls are so plentiful in this game.

Ascetics aren't that rare, but that is a waste of them. It puts that area in to NG+, so enemies might take a hit or two extra depending on your gear.

If you want to farm souls, do co-op. That's the most profitable way to farm souls.

How does co-op yield more souls? Do you mean co-op as in helping someone else defeat a boss or something?

Any good mage sets that anyone can recommend?
I've been through that poison area and also encountered the lost sinner (haven't defeated her yet)
The mage guy that was a statue at Sinner's rise has been freed, also. Unfortunately I used some of my boss souls stupidly so can't trade for his nice set.

What kind of mage are you? pyro, sorcerer, miracle,hexes or popurri guy?

Some sets are for fast casting, more spell usage, more spell spaces or more spell magic or my favorite one drop objets bonus yolo set

Mistel

Banned
- Why is the Ring of Life Protection popular? The way you beat the game is through trial-and-deathrror. Holding onto your humanity and souls when you die this one time doesn't seem to me like it'll make a big difference. Especially since souls are so plentiful in this game.
Soul memory mainly because they are so plentiful and all add to the total some like not to loose them as it were.

Danny 117

What kind of mage are you? pyro, sorcerer, miracle,hexes or popurri guy?

Some sets are for fast casting, more spell usage, more spell spaces or more spell magic or my favorite one drop objets bonus yolo set

I've been rolling with Soul Arrow and Lightning spear for the majority of my playthrough. I use Flame Swathe occasionally.

The funny thing is, I'm still wearing the same robes I was wearing at the beginning :L

What I mean to say is, sorcerer/miracles.

I've been rolling with Soul Arrow and Lightning spear for the majority of my playthrough. I use Flame Swathe occasionally.

The funny thing is, I'm still wearing the same robes I was wearing at the beginning :L

The sorcerer starter set pretty much can takes you to end game with ease, Straid can give you a more dinamic armor set with great bonuses if not go for the shaded woods and go for the lions set using a branch to a pretrified lion protecting a chest.

About your casting weapons it depends, there is a good staff on the gutter after you finished the golems there and its kinda hard without a guide, there is a sunset staff for hexes sorcering players

Sullichin

Is buring a bonfire ascetic at 1st bonfire in Iron Keep a good way to farm souls? Or is it a waist of an ascetic? How hard will it make it?

Farm the Giant Lord boss. Ascetic the place unbeknownst bonfire. Head to the memory by the pursuer door to pick up a free soul vessel and hero soul. Go back to place unbenkownst, pick up 2x twinkling titanite. Enter memory with max farming gear on, kill Giant Lord for ~400K souls in higher NGs, pick up the ascetic on your way out, repeat.

Minamu

Farm the Giant Lord boss. Ascetic the place unbeknownst bonfire. Head to the memory by the pursuer door to pick up a free soul vessel and hero soul. Go back to place unbenkownst, pick up 2x twinkling titanite. Enter memory with max farming gear on, kill Giant Lord for ~400K souls in higher NGs, pick up the ascetic on your way out, repeat.
Around 489k souls for the boss at maximum and about 40k extra for the regular enemies (the statue and fire gives you free kills :D), I believe.

Forgot about this. Definately the most profitable soul farming method.

Doesn't the chest in the Pursuer memory contain 3 x soul of a hero too. That's nice chump change on top of the main haul.

Minamu

Was it the Helix Halberd + Maston Halberd that was supposed to be the new OP weapon combo in pvp? Any special buffs or infusements to them? What weapon in what hand? I just want to see what it's about, I'm getting really annoyed with the Sun Sword's damage output in the end game pvp :/ Too many Havel's and the SS is like a toothpick...

Sounds good. I hadn't made it that far yet though. I just finished the Old Iron King.

Geez, trying to get my NG++ character to end game to prepare for DLC and some asshole kept invading me in Amana at the worst possible place where it's packed with Archdrakes and Priestess's. They wouldn't even let me get out of dodge before engaging. Finally got through the area, but man, some people are devious.

Mistel

Banned
Was it the Helix Halberd + Maston Halberd that was supposed to be the new OP weapon combo in pvp? Any special buffs or infusements to them? What weapon in what hand? I just want to see what it's about, I'm getting really annoyed with the Sun Sword's damage output in the end game pvp :/ Too many Havel's and the SS is like a toothpick...

Mastodon on left and helix on right then poke to victory. You can infuse if you want to. Here's a demonstration.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Mastodon on left and helix on right then poke to victory. You can infuse if you want to. Here's a demonstration.

That looked
.boring to watch
.boring to think myself playing with those weapons or in that style
.boring to fight against someone who plays the same way

I usually just leave my controls in Dark Souls 1/2 if I find someone doing OP hardcore way to troll people in PvP.

More in Dark Souls 2 actually, because of SM.

Mistel

Banned
That looked
.boring to watch
.boring to think myself playing with those weapons or in that style
.boring to fight against someone who plays the same way

I usually just leave my controls in Dark Souls 1/2 if I find someone doing OP hardcore way to troll people in PvP.

More in Dark Souls 2 actually, because of SM.
Might I go out on a limb here but you seem boring to play against. No worse than what has been previously dominant in PvP.

I've been through that poison area and also encountered the lost sinner (haven't defeated her yet)
The mage guy that was a statue at Sinner's rise has been freed, also. Unfortunately I used some of my boss souls stupidly so can't trade for his nice set.
Felkin gives you a cool set and a great staff if you've found and talked to him.

GorillaJu

Judgment set and black witch set can be had late in the game (one is easier to get, one takes a bit more effort) and both are pretty good. The Black Witch chest armor has insanely good defense for the weight.

GorillaJu

PvP is addictive. I've got +5 Magic Moonlight Greatsword in one hand and +5 Enchanted MLGS in the other, powerstanced. So fun, and crazy strong.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Might I go out on a limb here but you seem boring to play against. No worse than what has been previously dominant in PvP.

Well..I try my best in Dark Souls 2 PvP to have fun. All the times its when I impose self restrictions on what items/spells I play with (but you can't say the same for the opponent, close to 100% of the times), everything else or All_out_go_full_power is just limping around to get killed by obtuse rolling jabs with long or big geometrical weapons or insta death micro second spells.

Having fun with 'Imported Cloth'ing, dual rapiers and a short bow in my right hand.

In every
Brotherhood of Blood
PvP till date, I was the only one shooting arrows in the arena. Then I would switch to meele when the opponents comes near and switching to dual wielding if the opponent appears to a bit more powerful.

There were a few fights which were excellent, it was always in the second/middle arena which had those two levels of elevation and pathways on the outer square which crossed in the middle to move around.

Since the PvP arena's do not have any restrictions, it fails to provide any fair advantage for anyone by default. Over this having someone moving around fat with the Helix Halberd and Maston Halberds (more so buffs), is hardly a challenge..its just acts as a (I got this) badge than a fair PvP challenge. <- I see no point in this, don't mind giving up than wasting my time as its one or two hit death against such opponents.

Edit: Recently, I have come to appreciate the other invading covenants players..the Bell Bros and Rat Bros. (its much more engaging and the restrictions appropriate, even if you are at an tiny disadvantage of being in their domain/territory where the AI denizens of the game are always aggressive against you)

Whaaaaaah, I really should have quit the game before leaving the room and having a 30 minute chat with my dad. Thankfully I only had 60k souls on me (I lost 3+ million the other day while trying to be fancy) but I'm pretty sure I got invaded and killed about five times.

Edit: bluetearstone.webm

http://a.pomf.se/gyawwi.webm

njean777

If I beat Nashandra am I able to go back and do the darkluker side quest with the abyss? Or am I locked out of it? Also can I kill Vendrick after killing Nashandra?

Mistel

Banned
If I beat Nashandra am I able to go back and do the darkluker side quest with the abyss? Or am I locked out of it? Also can I kill Vendrick after killing Nashandra?
Yes you can do anything you like pretty much as you manually start NG cycles this time around at the Majula bonfire.

Mogwai

Fuck yeah! I gotta brag a little.

Went to the Lost Sinner on NG+2 and did a little help out on co-op. Decided to go in and do it solo. And that bugger and her two-man pyromancer ambulance went down in second attempt! Those 2HR2 are way too effective. I didn't even bother to light the room.

My setup was:

Demon's Great Hammer +10
Shield of the Insolent (not in use, only as STA buff)
Chloranthy +2
No pants (in-game)

I saw some videos of people backpedaling for 10 minutes with sword+shield combo on YT. Seems more efficient to just go full offense and hammer away.

taybul

Yes you can do anything you like pretty much as you manually start NG cycles this time around at the Majula bonfire.

Does this mean the bonfire gives you the option to start a NG or does it start right as you rest? I've been holding off heading to the final area (still first playthrough) so I can finish off everything before starting NG+.

Mistel

Banned
Does this mean the bonfire gives you the option to start a NG or does it start right as you rest? I've been holding off heading to the final area (still first playthrough) so I can finish off everything before starting NG+.
It gives you the option.
I did an horrible mistake I ascetic the mirror knight dude and now cant beat him dowm, any suggestions for a strength build?
Gyrm great hammer at +10 or any comparable strike weapon.

Finally pushed through the glass knight, Amada shirnes is a cakewalk post nerf and felicied the brave can healherself so it makes it sooooooooo easy but still the second ciclop hippo killed me with his broken grab hitbox.

Myomoto

Why is the Bloodied Whip so fucked hard to get to drop? I've cleared the Executioners in front of the Undead Purgatory twice now (using 1 ascetic), and I haven't seen as much as a shadow of the damn thing. I want to do a Belmont build, stupid game :mad:

I guess this is a seriously daft question but if I buy this from Amazon, as a digital game, I just get a Steam key right?

As far as I know the multiplayer is handled by steamworks, so it can't not be a steam game.

Finally pushed through the glass knight, Amada shirnes is a cakewalk post nerf and felicied the brave can healherself so it makes it sooooooooo easy but still the second ciclop hippo killed me with his broken grab hitbox.

How are you just over there? From the way you've been posting in this thread I thought you were already done with the game several times over lol

I've still yet to start NG+4 lol, dat World Cup was too engrossing.

Mogwai

Are there some testing on whether Chloranthy Ring +2 and Shield of the Insolent do stack?

I can't seem to notice any difference when I keep the ring equipped and swap the shield on and off.

How are you just over there? From the way you've been posting in this thread I thought you were already done with the game several times over lol

I've still yet to start NG+4 lol, dat World Cup was too engrossing.

Melee run+Rat Covenant, I sometimes return with my main and explore the lore for hours, I am looking at you "pale one"

Minamu

That's what I thought, he didn't have it in my first play through, so I thought it was a NG+ thing. I'm about to finish NG++ and he still doesn't have them.
You have to purchase his crap for 15k or so first I believe. You can definitely buy boss gear in ng.

Top Bottom