• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Renekton

I need some advice as to which weapon(s) I should be using. I'm about to go to the Shrine of Winter and am currently using a+10 lightning infused Priest's Chime (absolutely amazing) and a a +7 lightning infused Heide Knight Sword. I also have a +5 mace that I haven't enchanted. I think I could probably go with a better weapon than my current sword. My stats are 51 Fth, 20 Str, and 10 Dex.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and I don't PVP at all. All I care about is PVE.
Seems like many weapons will get good scaling with FTH after lightning infusion anyways, so you just find one with the moveset and weight that suits you. Even Heide can go all the way to the end of NG.

Lightning claymore and estoc are also decent.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Heide Lance is also a great weapon, more over it does thrust damage and goes extremely well with Leo's Ring.

2AdEPT

Any good mage sets that anyone can recommend?
I've been through that poison area and also encountered the lost sinner (haven't defeated her yet)
The mage guy that was a statue at Sinner's rise has been freed, also. Unfortunately I used some of my boss souls stupidly so can't trade for his nice set.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHdprgEZW98
I did an horrible mistake I ascetic the mirror knight dude and now cant beat him dowm, any suggestions for a strength build?

Str build should be ok as the mirror armour is stone/glasss and repels sharp weapons. Dont worry about one ascetic, it wont hurt you that much (unles there is something I dont know that comes in beside the small damage buff)...as a general rile the ascerics dont increase the health THAT much...but sometimes add extra enemies a la flexile sentry. I fumbled around trying to keep Bernhardt alive in my let's play, and used the black knight halberd, with high dex. Pyro seemed to help and would have done better had I not used the hollow glove while human, you shoudl be able to do it playing better than I did in the vid. If you cant play even that gud than just practice a bit! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_QirjI3ePU

Mogwai

They're weird like that, they'll only reset if you unload the zone from memory. Resting at the bonfire doesn't bring them back (thank god...).

This is good know if you mess up the cages in Aldia's Keep. If/when the ogre break the cages I always zone out and retry. Not worth the bother :)

grimmiq

You only need to light the Primal Bonfires, right?...Apparently I mustn't have been paying attention and ate the Sinner's soul..

Just beat the
Old Iron King..such a disappointing fight for such a cool looking boss..died once accidentally rolling into the lava.

Only bosses I've had trouble with so far are
the Sentinels
and
Freja..Freja got a lot easier when I realized I could 1shot the spiders with my bow..

Never played Demon Souls, DS1 took me 2 years to finish, I'm enjoying this but not as much as 1. Gave up on other characters around the
Sentinels
, started this run about 3-4 days ago, amazing what figuring out what weapons you like the feel of does for progression..

You only need to light the Primal Bonfires, right?...Apparently I mustn't have been paying attention and ate the Sinner's soul..

Just beat the
Old Iron King..such a disappointing fight for such a cool looking boss..died once accidentally rolling into the lava.

Only bosses I've had trouble with so far are
the Sentinels
and
Freja..Freja got a lot easier when I realized I could 1shot the spiders with my bow..

Never played Demon Souls, DS1 took me 2 years to finish, I'm enjoying this but not as much as 1. Gave up on other characters around the
Sentinels
, started this run about 3-4 days ago, amazing what figuring out what weapons you like the feel of does for progression..

I think you need to have the Great Souls, however, you can still gain access with 1 Million Soul memory which is very doable. Many people have that much anyway by the time they get the 4 great souls.

grimmiq

I think you need to have the Great Souls, however, you can still gain access with 1 Million Soul memory which is very doable. Many people have that much anyway by the time they get the 4 great souls.

Soul Memory is up the top right? 800kish, so only need 200k more..If need be I can just find something to grind, but I still have a lot of areas left to explore. Like the Gutter..bought the cat ring to see what was down that big stupid hole..reminded me of blight town and homeward boned immediately..

Mogwai

Soul Memory is up the top right? 800kish, so only need 200k more..If need be I can just find something to grind, but I still have a lot of areas left to explore. Like the Gutter..bought the cat ring to see what was down that big stupid hole..reminded me of blight town and homeward boned immediately..

Without spoiling too much, you are right to some extend.

You wont find the frame rate as bad as Blightown down there, though.

grimmiq

Without spoiling too much, you are right to some extend.

You wont find the frame rate as bad as Blightown down there, though.

I'm playing the PC version, so frame rate isn't an issue..I just hated the mosquitos and dart assholes...Though I went through most of DS1 with bad ranged capabilities compared to running around with a +3 flaming boss bow with 200+ poison and fire arrows..So I don't feel ill-equipped when I encounter new things like I did in 1. Oh and I just remembered...it also reminded me of that pitch black zone..had to look up how people got through there and learned about the sunlight maggot.

I still have troubles with those stupid turtles though, annoying even with a tower shield I still get flattened every time.

Some areas I know I've been through pretty much 100%, guess I'll start going through the warp menu and find the ones I can't remember much about ;p.

Altazor

so I finally decidedto start NG+ with my INT/FAI character. Two small musings:

-LOL @ the new enemies in Things Betwixt. Such a troll way to start your new playthrough. "Oh, so you think this is the starting area and as such you'll breeze through it? Think again". Thankfully, I disposed of them with mah miracles.

-OH GOD THE INVASIONS, MAKE THEM STOP. It's not the fact that I get invaded, it's THE GODDAMN LAG. It's unbearable. Enemies kill me while (literally) more than 3 or 4 steps away. Sometimes I "hit" the red phantom in front of me, I do NO damage and SUDDENLY THE GUY APPEARS BACKSTABBING ME. I don't think it's a "git gud or git rekt casul" situation, as the invaders haven't been überpowerful and/or gankers it's just the goddamn lag that fucks me up.

-OH GOD THE INVASIONS, MAKE THEM STOP. It's not the fact that I get invaded, it's THE GODDAMN LAG. It's unbearable. Enemies kill me while (literally) more than 3 or 4 steps away. Sometimes I "hit" the red phantom in front of me, I do NO damage and SUDDENLY THE GUY APPEARS BACKSTABBING ME. I don't think it's a "git gud or git rekt casul" situation, as the invaders haven't been überpowerful and/or gankers it's just the goddamn lag that fucks me up.

Tired of continuous, shittastic lag filled invasions but still want the online based experience of Dark Souls 2?

Try this P2P mod from nexusmods.com:-

http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2...s2/ajax/moddescription/?id=258&preview=&pUp=1

It will block fuckers from invading you by preventing P2P sessions from starting up, but you will still see the messages, ghosts and other online aspects of the game since you're still connected to the Dark Souls 2 master server.

You're welcome.

Soulhouf

You would think a server based online would solve some of DS1 issues? Think again, this is the B-team we're talking about. A-team was already bad enough in that regard.
To make things even worse, some weapons have more phantom range and broken hit-boxes, that's why people abuse them.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Really? Damn, ok.
Yup.
1st secret area
is a place you drop down that leads to Lucatiel, and statues on an upper level that you can destroy (sweet revenge!). A torch or the light spell will help you find that place. Watch for messages that may indicate you can drop below. It's near the beginning, before the first tar claw monsters, IIRC. I missed this one in my first playthrough, easy to miss.
2nd secret area
is a similar concept, you drop down to a platform below, again a source of light is helpful. You drop near the first big snake that comes out of the wall. I'd never have found this without the message telling me "below, try torch" hehe. You'll find a locked door, then another area with two giants. One of those giants drops the key that opens this door (and a few others). You take an elevator to go back up the upper Gulch area.
3nd secret area
is the hidden bonfire near the boss. At the last big section with all the tar pits, to the left is the path leading to the boss fog, and to right is a narrow path circling around the wall of statues, leading to a cave with the bonfire and Lucatiel's summon sign.
Honestly that one is easy to find, found it right away the first time by just exploring carefully. The other two are easier to miss,
you need a torch to see you can drop down there. That's what user messages are for.

Only click the tags if you don't mind being spoiled the location and content of the secret.

Renekton

You would think a server based online would solve some of DS1 issues? Think again, this is the B-team we're talking about. A-team was already bad enough in that regard.
To make things even worse, some weapons have more phantom range and broken hit-boxes, that's why people abuse them.
Gotta love those long distance backstabs

I don't remember if DS1 had this issue.

Booshka

Gotta love those long distance backstabs

I don't remember if DS1 had this issue.

All of the Souls games have had some teleport vacuum backstabs. It's just a simple peer to peer client to host issue, the person that is getting backstabbed feels far enough away, and the person doing the backstab is right behind them on their screen.

Happened to me all the time in Forest invasions in Dark Souls 1, think I am running far enough away, trying to put some trees inbetween me and the gankers, then out of nowhere vacuum sucked into a backstab.

The phantom range and terrible hitboxes are more of a problem in Dark Souls 2 than they have ever been in the past though, and that is a major detriment to the overall PvP. You could predict and somewhat prevent those teleport backstabs. However, you can't really do anything against the laggy, broken hitbox, phantom range running R1 of a Katana or Greatsword. I just spam roll like 3 times and try to get at least a literal mile away to avoid getting hit by it.

Altazor

Tired of continuous, shittastic lag filled invasions but still want the online based experience of Dark Souls 2?

Try this P2P mod from nexusmods.com:-

http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2...s2/ajax/moddescription/?id=258&preview=&pUp=1

It will block fuckers from invading you by preventing P2P sessions from starting up, but you will still see the messages, ghosts and other online aspects of the game since you're still connected to the Dark Souls 2 master server.

You're welcome.

thank you, will use if the situation worsens.

Oh lord, the second half of the amana shrine is trolling time for melee cuz there is nothing useful there (for melee builds) and you can easily ignore the mobs and go straight for the boss.

Anyway got luca armor and my warrior looks pretty =3

Mistel

Banned
Oh lord, the second half of the amana shrine is trolling time for melee cuz there is nothing useful there (for melee builds) and you can easily ignore the mobs and go straight for the boss.

Anyway got luca armor and my warrior looks pretty =3
What about the red iron twin blade that's after Rhoy's resting place that's past the midway point?

neoism

wtf :( :( have they patched this in the last few days.... All I get is the white screen that I always got but it just stays there now... I only used to stay up for like 10 seconds or less... :(
fucck its only been 3 days it worked fine on Thursday :*(
ok I got DMC on Thursday... I downloaded C++ 2005 and 2008 why did it mess it up can anyone help me :(

Mistel

Banned
The one in the middle aggroing of every mob available seeking your cursed blood? Felicia the brave death wasnt in vain.
The red iron twinblade is on a corpse right where Peculiar Kindalur invades pretty much. If your still dealing with the archdrakes then you can get their mace with is a greathammer with the halberd moveset.

Stamina management during PVP is more of a hassle than it should be because of all that phantom range shit. In DS1 I could reliably use a single roll to dodge attacks or even sprint to the side to get some distance between me and the opponent. In DS2 I need to roll two or three times or I'll find myself being struck by a ghost hit from metres away; and I can completely forget about sprinting to dodge anything because that just never works.

From mentioned a big patch coming along with the first DLC so I'm really hoping that can address some of the more serious issues with the online.

Levyne

Banned
It took me many more tries to beat (optional boss)
Ancient Dragon
as a mage, compared to as a heavy. I had to fight him completely differently. Before I would always stay behind him, this time, always in front. Was cool to figure out.

Jaeger

Soloing this game with a pure STR/DEX Build is so rewarding. I just Neo'd the shit out of the twin Dragonriders at Drangleic Castle.

njean777

Just got the PC version off the steam sale and man is it weird to play the game at a smooth FPS, it almost feels wrong lol. Going to take me some time to get used to the game running smoothly. I only have a macbook air, but it seems to run at 50-60fps mainly staying at 60.

Levyne

Banned
After how much I struggled on the (optional bosses)
Ancient Dragon
and
King Vendrick
with a magic/faith build...the (optional boss)
Darklurker
just absolutely melted. Haha, that was a nice way to clear the last part of the game I wanted to do before parking for the DLC.

Well, I want to get Sunlight Spear I guess. Time to sunbro at the final boss a dozen times :p

Levyne

Banned
Oh, I was thinking of the Shrine of Amana, hah.

Faith shreds those bosses you mentioned, anyway. Not sure how you struggled so much with them.

Hmm, that's weird. I mean, it was somewhat effective against the
dragon
but maybe his high health still made it a long fight. Didn't seem good at all against
Vendrick
so I ended up just switching a few things around to take him on melee like I usually do.

Jaeger

How is your build? I respec for using the black knight sword but I want to try a str/dex

I don't recall the exact specs, but STR is close to 50, I think. DEX is at 25 or so. I'm upping Stamina and Vitality alot. I don't think I'll be using any magic, but I will be using a few Pyromancy spells. Like Iron Flesh.

It's all for Fashion-Souls/Cosplay, for Red Pyramid/Pyramid Head from Silent Hill. Pretty much just strolling through the game as fast as I can, so I can get easy souls (Giant Lord), and be able to farm Petrified Dragon Bones from he Aerie. I'll make sure to post the end result tomorrow (should be done with NG run by then).

Booshka

40/40 STR/DEX hasn't worked for me though, maybe I need to farm that Sun Sword, or learn to like greatswords.

Don't go 40/40 for Physical damage. DkS2 version of Quality is the opposite of DkS1, it's 40STR and 28 DEX. 28 DEX is even a bit too high for me, I don't really use any katanas or high dex requiring weapons, so I keep my Dex at around 15 or so.

Sun Sword only gets like an extra 30 AR for 25 levels into DEX. I tested it on my 40/15 build, then checked damage on a 40/40 respec, and it's no where near worth the stat investment. Most of the scaling damage comes from STR, and Ring of Blades +2 is a must. Most Dex weapons should just be taken Raw with minimum requirements, you save like 15-20 levels and your damage is essentially the same.

Dex scaling for physical damage is just that bad.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I feel I finally caught up to an area appropriate for my level. So I'm at the Undead Crypt at level 100. And I have terrible things to speak of... this is my story.

I got invaded a total of 4 times during a 40 minute session three out of those happened to have one thing in common:

1. Get summoned to help a bro out, invaded -> Die
2. Get invaded in my own world -> Die
3. Minutes later, another invasion (while hollowed) -> Die

What did they all have in common, you ask? The same dude invaded all 3 times.. his name? Stalker. An apt name!

Edit: Actually I got invaded 5 times. All of a sudden invasions everywhere.

Renekton

Don't go 40/40 for Physical damage. DkS2 version of Quality is the opposite of DkS1, it's 40STR and 28 DEX. 28 DEX is even a bit too high for me, I don't really use any katanas or high dex requiring weapons, so I keep my Dex at around 15 or so.

Dex scaling for physical damage is just that bad.
Yeah I kinda guessed it was bad but didn't know it was that bad, at least it doesn't stop Sun Sword from still being awesome.

Not using any ultra greatswords?
Not a big fan of the moveset, but I know some people swear by it (plus it looks badass) so it's up to you.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Funny chap this guy, hes spoiling my selfie.

GET BEHIND Mr.
Vendrick
, no peek a boo.
6D0256F5FEC7467446A945C112843BC1ED708DB4

Seanspeed

Banned
Soloing this game with a pure STR/DEX Build is so rewarding. I just Neo'd the shit out of the twin Dragonriders at Drangleic Castle.
Just beat them myself, but had to summon(2nd time doing it this playthrough). I'm also doing a STR/DEX, melee build and I couldn't figure out how to deal with them. Was constantly running out of stamina when dealing with both of them.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I wonder if that is not supposed to happen or happen around a duration of 30 minutes..

At first I thought he really was just a hilarious hacker going by the name, I don't see how one would be able to circumvent the matchmaking servers though. But yeah, I love the Souls series for random shit like this.

Edit: I also realised the following: When you have a female character, people usually use milder gestures when they beat you :lol. Before I genderbent my character they'd use the "Welcome" one all the time. After, pretty much everyone uses Duel Bow. It reminds me of the experiences other dudes have had when playing as a female character in an MMO

Prototype

Did pure strong build my first time thru and smashed everything with great sword+10. Was really hard at some points buti never gave up.

taybul

Just beat them myself, but had to summon(2nd time doing it this playthrough). I'm also doing a STR/DEX, melee build and I couldn't figure out how to deal with them. Was constantly running out of stamina when dealing with both of them.

I lucked out with them and got one down pretty far before the other joined. With any multiple slow moving enemy encounter, what I do is try to line them up and bait an attack from the one in front. This was also useful in a later encounter as well...

Mistel

Banned
What sort of weapon were you using? For the twins I try to kill the one on the ground as soon as possible.

Does anyone feel like this game is a lot longer than DS1? I just beat the
fire boss in the area with all the lava
. Then I started exploring the well in manila and got to this really scary place called the gutter and I'm just like holy crap how many areas are there...

Does anyone feel like this game is a lot longer than DS1? I just beat the
fire boss in the area with all the lava
. Then I started exploring the well in manila and got to this really scary place called the gutter and I'm just like holy crap how many areas are there...

So much variety of levels yes, but the levets itself are kinda short.

Top Bottom