• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Does anyone feel like this game is a lot longer than DS1? I just beat the
fire boss in the area with all the lava
. Then I started exploring the well in manila and got to this really scary place called the gutter and I'm just like holy crap how many areas are there...

If you just finished
Eastern Peak and the Iron Keep
wait until you discover
Belfry Sol

Seanspeed

Banned
What sort of weapon were you using? For the twins I try to kill the one on the ground as soon as possible.
I tried with a two different weapons:

- Mastadon Halberd +9 - my heavy damage dealer. This ultimately just proved too slow and too stamina-draining. I was having to basically just hit once and then recover stamina. Sticking it out with a second strike took too much time and left me short on stamina. In the end, I couldn't actually deal enough damage quickly enough with it.

So I then tried my other main weapon, which was:

- Bastard Sword +9 - this is my 'quick' weapon. Was much better off with this. I could get in two hits in the early stages of the fight with only one of the Dragonriders, which allowed me to get the one's health down quicker, but I could never get him down enough where I could get finish him off before the 2nd one became a threat. Once the 2nd guy joins the fight, I've got nothing. I cant ever attack cuz I'm thwarting and absorbing shots the entire time. Eventually they usually double team me or get me with a shield bash(drains all stamina in one go) and then finish me off.

Danny 117

I hate the
Royal Rat Authority
boss so much. It doesn't help that I absolutely hated
Sif
in DS1 too and this guy is almost the same :(

I hate the
Royal Rat Authority
Sif

Cheap boss battle until you kill his minions fast and stay in his legs, save some stamina when it jumps and go running towards his legs again.

At least sif required some skill

Worst boss ever. The only reason I ever won it was because I had a spin2win weapon.

Story spoilers
When I saw that all it led you to was the ratbro covenant, I raged and killed the rat covenant leader, then I placed a message, "This place again!? In short, beating to a pulp."

Levyne

Banned
I struggled on that boss as a mage, the adds would always own me and even if I took care of them I would be out of stamina or in a bad position for the boss itself. Ended up lucking out and then him on his own is really easy.

Mistel

Banned
I tried with a two different weapons:

- Mastadon Halberd +9 - my heavy damage dealer. This ultimately just proved too slow and too stamina-draining. I was having to basically just hit once and then recover stamina. Sticking it out with a second strike took too much time and left me short on stamina. In the end, I couldn't actually deal enough damage quickly enough with it.

So I then tried my other main weapon, which was:

- Bastard Sword +9 - this is my 'quick' weapon. Was much better off with this. I could get in two hits in the early stages of the fight with only one of the Dragonriders, which allowed me to get the one's health down quicker, but I could never get him down enough where I could get finish him off before the 2nd one became a threat. Once the 2nd guy joins the fight, I've got nothing. I cant ever attack cuz I'm thwarting and absorbing shots the entire time. Eventually they usually double team me or get me with a shield bash(drains all stamina in one go) and then finish me off.
Strike and lightning damage are two main weakness for the dragon riders (and quite a lot of other stuff too). Just out of interest what are your stats if one hit with a mastodon halberd is that stamina draining?

taybul

I hate the
Royal Rat Authority
Sif

That felt so much like a combination of
Sif and Capra demon
from DS1. It wouldn't be so bad if
the smaller rats didn't toxic you to death before Royal even drops down.
Alas, ranged was the answer but making it a bane for melee was stupid.

I hate the
Royal Rat Authority
Sif

I burned those little fuckers down with a nice Firestorm right in their furry faces and then Great Fireball-ed the big guy to death.

It's the only satisfying way to deal with rats. Of any kind.

Newboi

I hate the
Royal Rat Authority
Sif

If you haven't beaten him yet, I personally had trouble staying between his legs. Just use a Great Shield like the Tower Shield or Havel's GreatShield, and put on a Cloranthy Ring. Your great shield will completely absorb the damage from his attack and allow you two or three good swings. This will cause him to jump back and get ready to charge. During that time, just release the block button and let your stamina recover; then rinse and repeat.

Using a GreatShield works just as well with most bosses if you have trouble dodging effectively. This helped me alot with the Pursuer bosses as well.

Edit: Also just as everyone else has stated. Take out the minions and soon as possible. Don't worry about the main boss until you kill all of them. Magic or Pyromancy will work wonders. If you're primarily a melee character then focus on using a fast light weapon that will give you several swings. You will want enough stamina to dodge the boss after trying to take out all of his minions, if you're going the pure melee route. You can switch back to a heavy damage dealing weapon after all the minions are dead. Just remember to two hand it when you get ready to strike in order to deal maximum damage.

Danny 117

Cheap boss battle until you kill his minions fast and stay in his legs, save some stamina when it jumps and go running towards his legs again.

At least sif required some skill

I'm able to kill the minions by running into the middle and casting a firestorm, but the boss just owns me as I'm mainly a mage build.

That felt so much like a combination of
Sif and Capra demon
from DS1. It wouldn't be so bad if
the smaller rats didn't toxic you to death before Royal even drops down.
Alas, ranged was the answer but making it a bane for melee was stupid.

Agreed. That's a good comparison actually. Hate boss battles that involve AI gankers :p

I burned those little fuckers down with a nice Firestorm right in their furry faces and then Great Fireball-ed the big guy to death.

It's the only satisfying way to deal with rats. Of any kind.

I'm working with Great Lightning Spears, mainly an INT/FAI build. They seem to be very effective but I can only get a few hits off before he owns my ass.

If you haven't beaten him yet, I personally had trouble staying between his legs. Just use a Great Shield like the Tower Shield or Havel's GreatShield, and put on a Cloranthy Ring. Your great shield will completely absorb the damage from his attack and allow you two or three good swings. This will cause him to jump back and get ready to charge. During that time, just release the block button and let your stamina recover; then rinse and repeat.

I can't really block many attacks as a mage. I'm running with a leather shield and can block one attack before he stuns me and my stamina is depleted.

Can he do much damage when you are under his legs? Or does he jump away and charge?

Myomoto

I hate the
Royal Rat Authority
Sif

Probably my least favourite fight in the game. When you figure out how to deal with the little rat dogs and how to stay behind the boss, it becomes stupid easy. Getting to that point is incredibly frustrating, though.

Can he do much damage when you are under his legs? Or does he jump away and charge?

If you do it right he can't hit you at all.

Altazor

I'm able to kill the minions by running into the middle and casting a firestorm, but the boss just owns me as I'm mainly a mage build.

I used scraps of life against the little shits and then blasted the face off the bigger one with dark hail. Took me two tries.

Oh, the main problem here is how fast do you kill the rat minions.

You have to kill them before the main boss jump or you are dead. You are pretty much dead if you dont have some instant/fast spells and then relocate behind the boss as much as possible.

My setup was

-Int Ring
-Fast spell ring
-Stamina ring
-Poison ring or or less physical damage ring

------

Spell

Spears of any kind
Soul Geyser
Souls arrow
Soul vortex

So I finished my first play through of this last night. I enjoyed it overall, but was really disappointed by the final bosses. When I first saw Throne Watcher and Defender I was thinking "Oh shit! looks like this games Smough and Ornstein!" but they were a breeze really.

Of course I immediately started NG+. I'd used a bonfire ascetic on two of the fires in Forest of the Fallen Giants, so enemies hit pretty hard. That said, I still managed to breeze through that area before calling it a day. Beating the Pursuer when first encountering him up the ladder was awesome.

I'm concerned what's going to happen when I get to the Shaded Woods. I'd burned 3 or 4 bonfire ascetics on the boss bonfire to farm petrified dragon bone, so I think it will be at intensity 5 or 6 when I get there. Should be fun! haha

STR/FTH Build. Should I infuse my +10 Claymore with lightning? It does 290 base damage right now. With infusion, it would do 203 base and 203 lightning.
Should I do it?

feel

Can't find the PC version thread, has it been merged into this one?

If it's ok to talk about this here, I took a break and came back and the game now looks like this

darksoulsii2014-06-23pyk8g.jpg

Downloaded the latest gedosato and it didn't fix it. HALP!!

Altazor

So I finished my first play through of this last night. I enjoyed it overall, but was really disappointed by the final bosses. When I first saw Throne Watcher and Defender I was thinking "Oh shit! looks like this games Smough and Ornstein!" but they were a breeze really.

ugh yes. Took down TD/TW without dying once and killed Nashandra on my third try. I actually think it's harder to keep Benhart alive during the fight than it is to actually kill Nashandra.

I actually died more times to Vendrick (and Ancient Dragon on a different playthrough) than to Nashandra. Sad times.

Jaeger

Just beat them myself, but had to summon(2nd time doing it this playthrough). I'm also doing a STR/DEX, melee build and I couldn't figure out how to deal with them. Was constantly running out of stamina when dealing with both of them.

I had to summon once so far. I may need that again with Velstadt.

Did pure strong build my first time thru and smashed everything with great sword+10. Was really hard at some points buti never gave up.

I'm like you. Staying committed. I keep running into a few tight spots, but I'ma hold it together, and try and get passed it.

So I finished my first play through of this last night. I enjoyed it overall, but was really disappointed by the final bosses.

That's actually a reoccurring FROM Software thing. I don't think I have ever been satisfied with the final bosses in the Souls series.

Oh, and guys. This video is amazing. I highly enjoyed this, and you should too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Yvo9I9Xp8 - The Watchdragon! Protector or Twinkling Titanite and the Aerie!

Mistel

Banned
STR/FTH Build. Should I infuse my +10 Claymore with lightning? It does 290 base damage right now. With infusion, it would do 203 base and 203 lightning.
Should I do it?
You should as you will get bonus fth scaling for your lightning damage. I have a lightning claymore on my fth character it works wonders.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I realised why the same guy invaded me 3 times, (He invaded today as well!).

Turns out he's swedish like me and Dark Souls 2 counts Sweden as a region. Not all of Europe :lol. Just like Street Fighter 4. Here I was thinking they counted the larger Europe area as a region, not by country.

Ruuppa

I realised why the same guy invaded me 3 times, (He invaded today as well!).

Turns out he's swedish like me and Dark Souls 2 counts Sweden as a region. Not all of Europe :lol. Just like Street Fighter 4. Here I was thinking they counted the larger Europe area as a region, not by country.

That's just silly. So should I just disable region-restriction then? Not that having it enabled stops the phantom hits anyway.

Ruuppa

Defense stats in this game are borked compared to offense. Physical defense seems to stack infinitely without any diminishing returns and 900 defense is all that's needed to become completely immune to a type of magic damage.

It seems that the defense is a simple percentage system, as in 100 = 10% defense against something. 90% defense against magic + Great Magic Barrier(which adds 250 magic defenses, or 25%) = 115% defense against magic.

Sometimes the game feels like its QA was just a little tiny bit rushed.

Myomoto

So I decided to go for a new game+ and the first thing I've noticed that my 10+ weapon breaks so fast!!

I mean in no time the message ( your sword is at risk ) appearse and after few hits it breaks..... is this normal?

Any solution to expand my weapon's life?

Mistel

Banned
So I decided to go for a new game+ and the first thing I've noticed that my 10+ weapon breaks so fast!!

I mean in no time the message ( your sword is at risk ) appears and after few hits it breaks..... is this normal?

Bracing knuckle ring will prolong your weapon durability. What are you using?

Ruuppa

It's not just simple percentages, but it is linear like percentages would be: http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/28xi7g/numbers_on_ar_armor_and_damage_output_for_3/

Why the heck didn't they use this formula for the elemental damage as well? Jeez.

I mean in no time the message ( your sword is at risk ) appearse and after few hits it breaks..... is this normal?

This happens most often if you are using BIG weapons, since they're made of the finest porcelain. Hitting friendly phantoms or dead bodies will also smash your weapons to pieces. Big hitbox -> Longer time inside enemies/bodies + More chance of hitting things that will snap it in two.

Get the Repair -sorcery, loads of Repair Powder or Bracing Knuckle Ring +2.

Sorry for the duple post but i'm using my iphone and just saw this:

Why the heck didn't they use this formula for the elemental damage as well? Jeez.

This happens most often if you are using BIG weapons, since they're made of the finest porcelain. Hitting friendly phantoms or dead bodies will also smash your weapons to pieces. Big hitbox -> Longer time inside enemies/bodies + More chance of hitting things that will snap it in two.

Get the Repair -sorcery, loads of Repair Powder or Bracing Knuckle Ring +2.

I have the ring i will use it right now.

Minamu

Any particular reason for the twin dragon teeth in the video above? and what clothes is that? You know, for research purposes only.

Ruuppa

Not really. When your weapon is at risk, just use a repair powder.
Better do that than waste a precious ring slot.

Unless you're using one of the many weapons where the risk -indicator appears at the same time as your weapon breaks.

In any case, it's good to carry at least 3 spare weapons with you.

Not really. When your weapon is at risk, just use a repair powder.
Better do that than waste a precious ring slot.

It should only be considered if you like using low durability weapons. DEX weapons are some of the worst. With my STR builds I almost never have durability problems.

Top Bottom