• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
Those little bastards I clear out with my Bastard Sword (Heh) but after that the RRA just doesn't stop attacking and gives me so little room to retaliate.

Would going with a lighter & more agile build help?
Depends I did it fully armored with a gyrm great hammer and it was fine I just hugged the underside or back legs.

PranooY

Those little bastards I clear out with my Bastard Sword (Heh) but after that the RRA just doesn't stop attacking and gives me so little room to retaliate.

As soon as you kill the small rats, roll under RRA and stick near his left hind leg (under his body). Make sure you stick under him at all times. You need very high endurance, if u plan on blocking his attacks.
When he jumps away, run after him, roll and go under him asap.

wickfut

Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZxzihLDjRI

Big shield with fire sword.. luck seems to play a large part with a few close near misses, but you get the idea. I think this was my third attempt.

I'm using I actually ran out of torch time twice in this playthrough, even after farming them in Brightstone Cove Tseldora.

Really? I think I had an hour left of torch time by the time I hit NG+ and my first full playthrough was modded (so I'd been using torches while just testing out location settings etc)

grimmiq

Just finished Dark Souls 2 now (Listening to the credits music ;p)

I kinda want to say this was a lot easier than DS1..but I guess if I hadn't played the first, I'd be just as bad as I was when I played that..

Felt the bosses were a lot less interesting than the first, but some were cool, cheesed out a few encounters (Spent an hour on the Giant Lord..tried same strat as Last Giant but he kept hitting me from between/behind his feet with his sword..So tried sitting there pumping poison arrows into his arse from a distance).

Missed a whole lot of areas (Are all bonfire locations supposed to pop up in the travel menu after entering the castle?)

Also heard from a friend about summoning Lucatiel and Benhart to get their weapons..So I think they were the only 2 I summoned throughout the game..Got Lucatiel's stuff..must have missed a Benhart one though.

Toughest bosses for me were probably
Belfry Gargoyles, Freja (Til I realized I could 1shot spiders with Dragonrider+Flame arrows), Mytha (Til I found the wheel..I mean WTF..Only mechanic like that in the entire damn game..If I didn't get frustrated I wouldn't have explored..Killed her once without draining the pool..but died before credit was given.), Double Dragons and Throne Duo. Seems I mostly have trouble adapting to multiple targets (Ornstein+Smough owned me for a while too.)

Most of the game completed with Drangleic Sword (Refused to hit lizards..so used Ultra GSwords for those), Drangleic Shield (Later the Defender) and a Dragonrider/Sea Bow..Dragonrider used way too much stamina for it's damage though...Plus the upgrade mats @_@.

Whole lot of Poison Arrows and Resins used. About 40 Hours to finish, SL 132 and 8 Bonfires missed..So Guessing I missed probably 20+ hours of exploration and death.

grimmiq

You think it'll be an easy breeze on NG+ ? ha ha , it's more like Demon's Souls rather than Dark Souls 1.

No I mean going through and finding all the areas I missed on NG, Sure as hell not going to try and go through 8 areas for the first time in NG+ lol.I tested it out once on a seperate character..Ascetic as starting gift then ran to Tower of Flame, used Ascetic just to see what would change..Extra enemies and Spirits everywhere..

I never played Demon's Souls, wasn't great at Dark Souls 1, only finished once over 2 years, and then missed a lot in Dark Souls 2..don't think I'm ready for NG+ yet XD I'll keep the character so I can go back and try it later, but I think for now I'll go for a different build and replay NG.

Manu

I started this last night. My first impressions, which I posted on the DS1 OT:

Semi off-topic, but I just played a few hours of DS2 and killed my first boss.

It feels really different for some reason. The movement, the graphics, the atmosphere, all different. It seems to be a bit clunkier and rolls have a delay to them that makes them not as precise as in the first one. The whole thing feels weird.

Also, the intro was surprisingly cutscene heavy for a Souls game. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

The intro is about the only real exposition you'll get besides talking to NPCs for quite awhile, so if you're worried about the game being cutscene heavy, don't worry it's not.

Mistel

Banned
Does anyone have any tips for fighting real people? I lose every single time I get invaded :(. I use an ultra greatsword btw
2 handed attacks that stagger people are pretty much the way to go with ultras or use the drakewing strong attack for some ranged ability.

Mogwai

Just finished Dark Souls 2 now (Listening to the credits music ;p)

I kinda want to say this was a lot easier than DS1..but I guess if I hadn't played the first, I'd be just as bad as I was when I played that..

Felt the bosses were a lot less interesting than the first, but some were cool, cheesed out a few encounters (Spent an hour on the Giant Lord..tried same strat as Last Giant but he kept hitting me from between/behind his feet with his sword..So tried sitting there pumping poison arrows into his arse from a distance).

Missed a whole lot of areas (Are all bonfire locations supposed to pop up in the travel menu after entering the castle?)

Also heard from a friend about summoning Lucatiel and Benhart to get their weapons..So I think they were the only 2 I summoned throughout the game..Got Lucatiel's stuff..must have missed a Benhart one though.

Toughest bosses for me were probably
Belfry Gargoyles, Freja (Til I realized I could 1shot spiders with Dragonrider+Flame arrows), Mytha (Til I found the wheel..I mean WTF..Only mechanic like that in the entire damn game..If I didn't get frustrated I wouldn't have explored..Killed her once without draining the pool..but died before credit was given.), Double Dragons and Throne Duo. Seems I mostly have trouble adapting to multiple targets (Ornstein+Smough owned me for a while too.)

Most of the game completed with Drangleic Sword (Refused to hit lizards..so used Ultra GSwords for those), Drangleic Shield (Later the Defender) and a Dragonrider/Sea Bow..Dragonrider used way too much stamina for it's damage though...Plus the upgrade mats @_@.

Whole lot of Poison Arrows and Resins used. About 40 Hours to finish, SL 132 and 8 Bonfires missed..So Guessing I missed probably 20+ hours of exploration and death.
Grats on the completion

As a tip for Giant Lord, just roll before he makes his annoying swipe and you'll easy evade it. It's much easier to just use the i-frames. I never figured out where to position myself without getting slapped by that move. When staying at his feet he either do a stomp or that swipe, so it's very manageable :)

grimmiq

Grats on the completion

As a tip for Giant Lord, just roll before he makes his annoying swipe and you'll easy evade it. It's much easier to just use the i-frames. I never figured out where to position myself without getting slapped by that move. When staying at his feet he either do a stomp or that swipe, so it's very manageable :)

I would have if I was able to get a good look at him, when locked on the camera was going crazy ;p.

Trying out a caster now, finished DS1&2 as melee..This seems kinda OP.

wickfut

Banned
I would have if I was able to get a good look at him, when locked on the camera was going crazy ;p.

Trying out a caster now, finished DS1&2 as melee..This seems kinda OP.

Yeah it does seem OP until you get to the skeleton lords and you'll wish you'd pumped a fair bit into STR :)

Also, the intro was surprisingly cutscene heavy for a Souls game. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

I was surprised too,
the game will constant throw you what to do
also dont forget about those fireflies.

Yeah it does seem OP until you get to the skeleton lords and you'll wish you'd pumped a fair bit into STR :)

Mmmm no, just mantain your space and save your instant cast for the last part.

Ruuppa

really? which one? the only thing I recall killing in majula are the skeletons and the piglets, you will blow my mind if there is something else to kill at majula

There's an optional fight with Licia of Lindeldt where you invade her with the Crushed Eye Orb, and she can be a tough fight. She knows healing spells and Wrath of the Gods, and is a pain on higher Bonfire Intensities.

taybul

I sniped 2 of the rats from the entrance with a bow and would kill the other 2 with my sword once they came close. As for the Authority himself I ended up using the Havel shield I believe (100% phys, high poise). Whenever he'd do his charge I blocked it then ran under him unless he'd hop back for another. He'll try to do his frontal swipes when you're under him but if you stick to his back legs he'll miss. It was near impossible for me to reliably block his charge.

SoldnerKei

There's an optional fight with Licia of Lindeldt where you invade her with the Crushed Eye Orb, and she can be a tough fight. She knows healing spells and Wrath of the Gods, and is a pain on higher Bonfire Intensities.

oh right! thou I have never killed her, I am nice to npcs, poor things trapped in there

Manu

I can't play again until tonight (work day can't end soon enough), but let me ask this:

In the castle area before the Last Giant there was a sub boss, a big metal guy with a round shield that killed me once and "cursed" me, although it doesn't look like it's the same curse from the first game.

The thing is, he killed me once and when I returned to the area he wasn't there anymore. Is that supposed to happen?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I can't play again until tonight (work day can't end soon enough), but let me ask this:

In the castle area before the Last Giant there was a sub boss, a big metal guy with a round shield that killed me once and "cursed" me, although it doesn't look like it's the same curse from the first game.

The thing is, he killed me once and when I returned to the area he wasn't there anymore. Is that supposed to happen?
Yes. You'll see him again later.

cursing is less punishing now, you can lose your humanity, destroys gear or slowly drains your health cap like if you were dying

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Really? I think I had an hour left of torch time by the time I hit NG+ and my first full playthrough was modded (so I'd been using torches while just testing out location settings etc)

Yeah, this playthrough was a very slow progression through the areas. I wanted to discover as many secrets as possible.

Altazor

I didn't find the Skeleton Lords THAT tough as a caster though. I still died, but managed to get the hang of it ine a couple of tries.

Executioner's Chariot on the other hand.... goddammit I hated that one.

I didn't find the Skeleton Lords THAT tough as a caster though. I still died, but managed to get the hang of it ine a couple of tries.

Executioner's Chariot on the other hand.... goddammit I hated that one.

Wut? As a caster that one is cake if you came in well prepared:-

1. Stock up and use Alluring Skulls or Yearn (if a sorc) to distract skeletons while you hunt down the necromancer resurrecting them.

2. Once the 1st necro and its minions is permadead, cheese the Chariot by spell scoping it as it rushes down the hallway. Lightning is uber effective against it at that range. Make sure you're hiding in the alcoves as it comes by. Rinse and repeat, until (3) happens.

2a. You don't even have to pull the damn lever on the far side of the stage, which is mandatory if you're a pure melee class.

3. Once it reaches about ~30% HP after spell cheesing it won't even bother coming around anymore. You can then just knock it off at the far side of the stage into the abyss. Easiest fight ever lol.

Now if you're melee, I can understand the frustration. Hated it during my pure melee playthrough.

Altazor

1. Stock up and use Alluring Skulls or Yearn (if a sorc) to distract skeletons while you hunt down the necromancer resurrecting them.

2. Once the 1st necro and its minions is permadead, cheese the Chariot by spell scoping it as it rushes down the hallway. Lightning is uber effective against it at that range.

2a. You don't even have to pull the damn lever on the far side of the stage, which is mandatory if you're a pure melee class.

3. Once it reaches about ~30% HP after spell cheesing it won't even bother coming around anymore. You can then just knock it off at the far side of the stage into the abyss. Easiest fight ever lol.

It would've been great to know that. I still tried to pull the damn lever. Oh well.

2. Once the 1st necro and its minions is permadead, cheese the Chariot by spell scoping it as it rushes down the hallway. Lightning is uber effective against it at that range. Make sure you're hiding in the alcoves as it comes by. Rinse and repeat, until (3) happens.

Now if you're melee, I can understand the frustration. Hated it during my pure melee playthrough.

Dont forget to farm those necromancer for the head piece.

Trick_GSF

Banned
3rd playthrough, but first time on NG+.

Been playing for about 5 hours now and I cannot find a single summon sign anywhere, I've only been summoned once. No invasions. I've heard about soul memory but didn't know it was this bad. Who thought this was a good idea?

Trash.

Renekton

3rd playthrough, but first time on NG+.

Been playing for about 5 hours now and I cannot find a single summon sign anywhere, I've only been summoned once. No invasions. I've heard about soul memory but didn't know it was this bad. Who thought this was a good idea?

Trash.
The bright side is at least I don't get ganked as much during NG+ <.<

grimmiq

I'd say casting is equally OP and boring :)

Lightning Spear is crazy.

Wrecked Pursuer on the platform with Lightning Spears..I think I'm going to find a more challenging build for my second playthrough ;p.

Heard that many people choose themes for their playthroughs..Boxer using only fists, Dominatrix using only whips, etc..Might try something like that.

I'm level 115-120 and I still haven't attained the ability to infuse weapons, is that normal or should I have found it by now?

Depends on how far you've gotten..You can miss it pretty easily, you may have already passed it.

I'm level 115-120 and I still haven't attained the ability to infuse weapons, is that normal or should I have found it by now?
You definately should've found it by now unless you're super-overleveled. You might've already picked up the item but not given it to McDuff?

Dull Ember is a treasure in Iron Keep, the item that needs a jump very close to the chest that contains the Zweihander

Manu

So after the Last Giant and the Pursuer, is the next boss the triple fight? Because it looks way too hard for my current level.

Mogwai

Wrecked Pursuer on the platform with Lightning Spears..I think I'm going to find a more challenging build for my second playthrough ;p.

Heard that many people choose themes for their playthroughs..Boxer using only fists, Dominatrix using only whips, etc..Might try something like that.

My go-to theme is HULK SMASH. I don't really bother with DEX weapons in DkS2. The only thing that works is strike damage, no contest :S

I wonder if STR and strike damage was that powerful in DkS1? I never really played anything but katana builds for that game.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Is there* a mod to get rid of 'Bearer of the curse...' dialog, I think I hit my tolerance level in the game when ever I want to either use Estus Flask Shard or level up.

Its approaching 'I Took an Arrow in the Knee' levels, I really want to get rid of that damn voice dialog and text caption.

Edit: Unrelated to the above; Yesterday I was playing in
The Black Gulch
with a summon and encountered 3 (instead of 2)
Giants
..did anyone notice this?

Firebrand

So after the Last Giant and the Pursuer, is the next boss the triple fight? Because it looks way too hard for my current level.
There's other areas to explore and bosses to fight if you want to postpone it.

You can also bypass that boss entirely but I wouldn't recommend it

To be honest, while it's a fair challenge it's not really as awful as it sounds. I found Pursuer to be much, much harder on my first playthrough as that guy really don't give you much room to breathe.

You definately should've found it by now unless you're super-overleveled. You might've already picked up the item but not given it to McDuff

Dull Ember is a treasure in Iron Keep, the item that needs a jump very close to the chest that contains the Zweihander

Depends on how far you've gotten..You can miss it pretty easily, you may have already passed it.

Yeah weird, I haven't been to Iron Keep yet because I've just know discovered how to get to Huntsman('s ?) Copse.

Is Iron Keep adjacent to Harvest Valley?

Soulhouf

Is there* a mod to get rid of 'Bearer of the curse...' dialog, I think I hit my tolerance level in the game when ever I want to either use Estus Flask Shard or level up.

Its approaching 'I Took an Arrow in the Knee' levels, I really want to get rid of that damn voice dialog and text caption.

Easy. Don't level up.

More serious: yeah that's only one aspect that shows how the B-team don't know what they're doing.
Most of the time they were copying/pasting ideas from Demon's Souls without understanding why they were good in the first place. These concepts/ideas completely lost their souls in DS2 because they were poorly implemented.

Take the example of the Maiden in Black in Demon's Souls. She repeats the same sentence every time you go to her for level up and yet it never becomes irritating like DS2 does. The fact the the phrase was so catchy and fades in the background without interrupting the player was brilliant. DS2 designers completely skipped that small but very important detail and here is the result.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Edit: Unrelated to the above; Yesterday I was playing in
The Black Gulch
with a summon and encountered 3 (instead of 2)
Giants
..did anyone notice this?
Yep, it seems to happen consistently with a phantom.

Take the example of the Maiden in Black in Demon's Souls. She repeats the same sentence every time you go to her for level up and yet it never becomes irritating like DS2 does.
Oh sorry but that is some serious bullshit. She was so annoying I wanted to gag the dumb bitch.
Edit:
I'd say Emerald Herald and Maiden in Black are equally annoying.
Yep.

Top Bottom