• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Two quick questions.

How far am I into the game once I reach Drangleic Castle?

And also, where is the Ember I need to upgrade my weapons? I haven't found it yet...

You're now past the halfway point of the game, roughly.

The Dull Ember is in the Iron Keep, past the Earthen Peak (the Mytha boss).

Ruuppa

Oh wow, I completed Iron Keep but never found the Smelter Demon.

Gotta get on that right away.

I missed it the first time around too; Just ran straight forward. I only doubled back after killing the big bad of Iron Keep.

At the time I didn't know you could roll down and continue from the Belfy Sol bonfire, so the run from Bridge to the Switch-room was .. Interesting.

Sami+

So I'm in the stat reallocation menu and completely at a loss as to what I actually want to do. Never really got into PvP (I've played a few matches but never got technical about it) and I'm interested in learning.

53b895d4da01a.png

I'd like to use a Claymore. Maybe dual wield two of them, each with a different infusion, but I don't know if that's actually worth it or not. Should I have higher DEX or STR? I know it scales evenly between the two, but I was looking at a build listed on the Wikidot that had STR at 20 and DEX at 25 and got confused.

Does the above look like a decent Claymore set (obviously not complete)? If so, where should I take it from here? Any help would be hugely appreciated - all the technicalities of PvP are hard to wrap my head around haha.

Mistel

Banned
I'd like to use a Claymore. Maybe dual wield two of them, each with a different infusion, but I don't know if that's actually worth it or not. Should I have higher DEX or STR? I know it scales evenly between the two, but I was looking at a build listed on the Wikidot that had STR at 20 and DEX at 25 and got confused.

Does the above look like a decent Claymore set (obviously not complete)? If so, where should I take it from here? Any help would be hugely appreciated - all the technicalities of PvP are hard to wrap my head around haha.
To dual wield a pair of claymores you will need one and a half times the required stats so 30STR and 20DEX. DEX scaling is awful compared to STR so just get it to minimum requirements and raise STR instead.

Once infused they gain split damage and have to go through multiple defenses. So if you can try to get them to be either normal or poison if you can attack fast enough in PvP.

It looks alright so far just change the stuff I mentioned and it should be alright.

Sami+

To dual wield a pair of claymores you will need one and a half times the required stats so 30STR and 20DEX. DEX scaling is awful compared to STR so just get it to minimum requirements and raise STR instead.

Once infused they gain split damage and have to go through multiple defenses. So if you can try to get them to be either normal or poison if you can attack fast enough in PvP.

It looks alright so far just change the stuff I mentioned and it should be alright.

Thanks. :)

So once I get up to 30 DEX I'll just focus on VIT, END, and VGR?

PranooY

Sentinels weren't so bad but those bellfry gargoyles are giving me a shitty time.
Its very easy, if you are a mage. Else keep running and hit when u get a chance.
They are very weak to magic and lightning, so use gold pine resin or magic resin. -(For melee)

Trying for Platinum:
Need 25 more sunlight medals for some miracles. What are the more easier methods than getting summoned for boss battles?
I got summoned 5 times for chariot boss by the same person. My summoner keeps dying and I'm getting pissed. That guy/gal doesn't have any patience.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Is the
toe glitch
only possible way to kill the
Ancient
Dragon?

I tried the fight like for 15-20 times and failed at every attempt, until a gold phantom summon Aggroed the beast using the above method.

Its very easy, if you are a mage. Else keep running and hit when u get a chance.
They are very weak to magic and lightning, so use gold pine resin or magic resin. -(For melee)

Trying for Platinum:
Need 25 more sunlight medals for some miracles. What are the more easier methods than getting summoned for boss battles?
I got summoned 5 times for chariot boss by the same person. My summoner keeps dying and I'm getting pissed. That guy/gal doesn't have any patience.

They're a rare drop from the dark riders on Earthen Peak. I grinded through the same thing. I ultimately just went back to being summoned since the drop rate from the riders is really low. :(

Is the
toe glitch
only possible way to kill the
Ancient
Dragon?

I tried the fight like for 15-20 times and failed at every attempt, until a gold phantom summon Aggroed the beast using the above method.

Nope. If you're in NG+ and beyond you can use the Gower Ring of Protection for complete immunity against its fire breath attacks from behind. Which makes it cake.

Just bring loads of Repair Powder (the ring takes 5 breaths and then shatters, so repair when necessary), and you're good to go.

Easiest boss ever.

NBtoaster

I've beat him twice without phantoms, gltiches or Gower's.

The legit way is to bait out the front breath attack, hack at him while he does that, quickly run back in front of him and hopefully he does the front attack again. You can't be greedy and need perfect timing.

Ruuppa

Trying for Platinum:

The best place to get summoned is at Prowling Magus. Easy and fast fight, low soul-reward.

Soul Memory allowing, that is. The Chariot is annoying to get summoned to, since the fight can be really hard. If you really want to do the Chariot, pack some Alluring Skulls.

PranooY

The best place to get summoned is at Prowling Magus. Easy and fast fight, low soul-reward.

Soul Memory allowing, that is. The Chariot is annoying to get summoned to, since the fight can be really hard. If you really want to do the Chariot, pack some Alluring Skulls.
Thanks. Yes, Prowling Magus is the best. Very less reward and very easy battle. Got about 6 medals in an hour. I place the summon sign and am watching some TV shows. Goes back whenever I'm summoned.

3DShovel

I've beat him twice without phantoms, gltiches or Gower's.

The legit way is to bait out the front breath attack, hack at him while he does that, quickly run back in front of him and hopefully he does the front attack again. You can't be greedy and need perfect timing.

I thought it was pretty legit when I baited his breath attack and then hacked at his feet while alternating when he tried to stomp at me.

it was legit because i beat him okay

Ruuppa

I thought it was pretty legit when I baited his breath attack and then hacked at his feet while alternating when he tried to stomp at me.

it was legit because i beat him okay

Any strategy is legit against the overgrown lizard.

I'd say he's the Bed of Chaos of DkS2, but that would be overkill. How From could top that, I don't know. At least this guy's optional.

Manu

Sentinels weren't so bad but those bellfry gargoyles are giving me a shitty time.

Focus on one at a time. Whenever a gargoyle is at 50% health another one spawns, so focusing on one at a time you'll never have to fight more than two or three at the same time.

Ruuppa

Focus on one at a time. Whenever a gargoyle is at 50% health another one spawns, so focusing on one at a time you'll never have to fight more than two or three at the same time.

You shouldn't fight near any of the inactive ones either, since accidentally hitting one instantly activates it.

grimmiq

I thought Lost Sinner was supposed to have adds in NG+? Was waiting for a summon sign to pop up to get help but gave up and went in myself..no adds ever turned up, was constantly trying to switch targets as the bastard jumps around too much to watch any direction for more than 2 seconds. I ascetic'd the bonfire, so maybe has to be proper NG+?

spliced

I finally beat the Ancient Dragon and Vendrick for the first time even though I've beaten the game a few times already. I died to the AD the first few times because I couldn't figure out how to bait his attacks so he stayed on the ground, and when he went up for firebreath I wasn't even close to avoiding it. Finally I looked at the battle area and thought From must be telling me something by making it so huge. So what I did was lightning spear him once while he was doing a ground based attack, then run full blast toward one end so I was out of the way of his flying fire breath. Then as soon as the fire disappeared I'd repeat it going the other way. Even with great lightning spears it took a long time. I thought both the AD fight and the Vendrick fight were pretty poor.

For getting summoned to get sun medals I found the Ruin Sentinels to be the quickest, but Magus would be even better although pretty boring. I never thought to try that boss much because I didn't think people would need much help with that one.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Nope. If you're in NG+ and beyond you can use the Gower Ring of Protection for complete immunity against its fire breath attacks from behind. Which makes it cake.

Just bring loads of Repair Powder (the ring takes 5 breaths and then shatters, so repair when necessary), and you're good to go.

Easiest boss ever.

Hey thats cheating...and lazier than the foot loop.

Myomoto

I thought Lost Sinner was supposed to have adds in NG+? Was waiting for a summon sign to pop up to get help but gave up and went in myself..no adds ever turned up, was constantly trying to switch targets as the bastard jumps around too much to watch any direction for more than 2 seconds. I ascetic'd the bonfire, so maybe has to be proper NG+?

The 2 pyromancers don't spawn from using just an ascetic.

Sullichin

Well, dex scaling might not be very good but I was able to get to rank 1 in BoB from SL130-150 with my dex character pretty fast. Powerstanced katanas.. yeah, I know. Beserker blade w/ poison resin + poison manslayer in offhand. Sometimes switching offhand weapon for estoc or small shield to parry. There's way more to katanas than their overused sprinting R1 attacks, and there's a lot of diversity when dual wielding them.
After getting rank 1 I switched to dual poison spotted whips and poison manslayer for kicks, and kind of feel like a piece of shit for using them, but I think I will continue to do so. It's so easy to poison with the powerstanced L2. Poison is great for those battles of attrition against chugging havel monsters.

Run. Stay mobile. Even if it takes 20 minutes to beat them, stay moving.

Got em. Using magic resin definitely helped. Thanks for the advice guys.

At the part where you climb down the ladder and there's like 10 dogs. Killed the dark spirit but it's a dead end. I assume there's an illusory wall but I've whacked at every square inch with my sword and nothing.

Altazor

Got em. Using magic resin definitely helped. Thanks for the advice guys.

At the part where you climb down the ladder and there's like 10 dogs. Killed the dark spirit but it's a dead end. I assume there's an illusory wall but I've whacked at every square inch with my sword and nothing.

no illusory wall, there's a
weapon in a corpse and, under the arch, a key that may be really useful when traversing Sinner's Rise

EDIT: Also, I'm sure that whole room is a homage to Capra Demon.

Beat the Lost Sinner. His move-set was fairly simplistic so he didn't give me too much trouble. I'm assuming he's the final boss of this area as the next room led me to a bonfire that warped me directly back to Majula.

Headed to Heide's Tower of Flame and beat the Dragon Rider and Old Dragon Slayer (Ornstein?!) as well. Went into the depths of the cathedral and found a cave with a bonfire in it so I guess that'll be the next area I explore.

PranooY

Finished my NG+ play through using melee alone. Now going to collect all miracles and sorceries. Looking to use soul vessel to make a miracle-sorcery build. Going to switch gender too using boat trick.

Beat the Lost Sinner. His move-set was fairly simplistic so he didn't give me too much trouble. I'm assuming he's the final boss of this area as the next room led me to a bonfire that warped me directly back to Majula.

Headed to Heide's Tower of Flame and beat the Dragon Rider and Old Dragon Slayer (Ornstein?!) as well. Went into the depths of the cathedral and found a cave with a bonfire in it so I guess that'll be the next area I explore.

The real Lost Sinner encounter exists in NG+ and beyond. Also, the Lost Sinner's a she.

Frankly speaking I think FROM made NG to be a tutorial playthrough of sorts. You can see it with quite a few of the boss encounters and level mobs.

E.g. In NG+:-

The Lost Sinner has two Pyro companions who appear when she drops down to 60% health, making it a legit challenge. They evade spells constantly and therefore have to be dealt with upclose and personal.

The Flexile Sentry has two fast and deadly companions who appear at the start. They deal mega melee damage and can stunlock you to death.

The Undead Crypt probably illustrates the gulf in difficulty the best. The first encounter with the Black Leydia Witches is now made exceedingly difficult due to those Double Shield Bearers blocking the only pathway through and you have to poke them repeatedly to get them to move.

Heide's Tower of Flame is now alive and much more densely populated with tough as nails red phantoms and an extra mace dude in the central circular platform, making it 4.

Ruuppa

The Undead Crypt probably illustrates the gulf in difficulty the best. The first encounter with the Black Leydia Witches is now made exceedingly difficult due to those Double Shield Bearers blocking the only pathway through and you have to poke them repeatedly to get them to move.

This one was fun to notice, since I was really used to just rushing through that area. NOPE!

I really love the Butcher's Knife, the moveset is so sweet, if a bit slow. The one-handed heavy attack is really nice to catch people who're rolling away, and it combos really well. Even managed to whoop some Haveltanks with my Maneater -cosplay. Not so much luck with the Turtletanks though..

Sami+

You don't need 30 DEX to dual wield claymores put it in strength keep DEX at minimum requirements. Then you can raise other stats.

Oh, shit. Just reread your post. Don't know how I missed you explicitly saying exactly that, haha. Sorry 'bout that. Thanks for the help.

I am have been out of the loop for a while. Do we have any news on how much the DLC will cost ? I am also wondering how we will get to access it.

Did the No Man's Wharf. Wasted a Pharros' Lockstone lighting up the place even though I was perfectly fine using a torch but not a big deal. Ghost ship just took me back to Lost Bastille and not sure where to go next.

I am have been out of the loop for a while. Do we have any news on how much the DLC will cost ? I am also wondering how we will get to access it.

Still not confirmation about the price in consoles but there is a season pass for the pc version and no confirmation of how do you enter the DLC
The first one you enter via The rotten's primal bonfire using the now placed three snakes statue.

Did the No Man's Wharf. Wasted a Pharros' Lockstone lighting up the place even though I was perfectly fine using a torch but not a big deal. Ghost ship just took me back to Lost Bastille and not sure where to go next.

It depends, if you enter that area early. You dont have enough torches to survive all the run and you have like 3 pharros lock at that time so why not.
After the bastille you can go to the shaded woods via majula using the unpretified branch or hunstman via majula too talking to lycia

Completely unrelated: I knew Peter Serafinowicz was the voice of Pate in this game, but I didn't know HOW obsessed he was with Dark Souls and the fact that he approached Namco-Bandai with the idea of acting in the game. Such a great video.

I just love Peter's voice.

Anyone else wanna go down a weird rabbit hole with me?

Is it Mild Mannered Pate because in Shaun of the Dead he's Quick Tempered Pete?
and with Simon Pegg's accent, it often sounds like Pate and not Pete...

grimmiq

Well looks like I'm done with DS2 til DLC comes out..Was planning to go for all achievments, but it's stupid that they put some behind PVP covenants..Out of about 30-40 attempts at Co-Op and PVP, I've had 2 sessions where I wasn't lagging to hell. 100mbps in AUS..god I hate my country sometimes.

Well looks like I'm done with DS2 til DLC comes out..Was planning to go for all achievments, but it's stupid that they put some behind PVP covenants..Out of about 30-40 attempts at Co-Op and PVP, I've had 2 sessions where I wasn't lagging to hell. 100mbps in AUS..god I hate my country sometimes.

you can get those spell in NG+++ but the sunbro spell is still exclusive to that covenant

What about the Bell Covenant? Need rank 2 for that, right? 30 winning PVP fights where sometimes I see the guy drop through a hole in the floor, I step back and watch the top of the stairs, then get backstabbed by the same guy without seeing him again.

all Covenant spells are available to buy in NG+++

grimmiq

you can get those spell in NG+++ but the sunbro spell is still exclusive to that covenant

What about the Bell Covenant? Need rank 2 for hidden weapon, right? 30 winning PVP fights where sometimes I see the guy drop through a hole in the floor, I step back and watch the top of the stairs, then get backstabbed by the same guy without seeing him again.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
any word on the DLCs, at least the first?

Top Bottom