• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

The movement is different, it's a new engine, but you get used to it. Put some points into ADP to raise your agility and that will make the i-frames of rolling a little closer to the feel of DS1. With low agility it can feel quite frustrating coming straight from DS1 because you dodge but still get hit and think "wtf, I dodged that!" Agility will solve that. 15 ADP is my sweet spot but I think the received wisdom is 20, attunement also raising agility a little bit this time.

Soulhouf

The movement is different, it's a new engine, but you get used to it. Put some points into ADP to raise your agility and that will make the i-frames of rolling a little closer to the feel of DS1. With low agility it can feel quite frustrating coming straight from DS1 because you dodge but still get hit and think "wtf, I dodged that!" Agility will solve that. 15 ADP is my sweet spot but I think the received wisdom is 20, attunement also raising agility a little bit this time.

Better think Agility instead of Adaptability since the former is also affected by Attunment.
Typically you want to aim for 95 or 100 agility.

That's what I said "attunement also raising agility a little bit this time." :)

What changed my mind with agility was my second playthrough, as a cleric, and I didn't raise ADP at all on that or my first (mage) character - so it was the base 3 or 4 whatever it is, and I had so much trouble dodging Vendrick's horizontal swipes (before I knew you just stuck to his back left leg). I always try to maximize damage output, so HP and defense stuff is always lower or leveled last - well, once I raised agility it felt like the old Dark Souls, I could roll dodge far more effectively.

Nothing can help the ice-skating walking animation though! :p

Ruuppa

I'll second that, 100 feels like I can roll from most PVE attacks even with sloppy timing.

There are a couple of charts that correlate different Agility levels to the number of iframes you get, with comparisons to DkS1 iframes.

95 Agi = 10 frames
100 Agi = 12 frames
105 Agi = 13 frames
115 Agi = 15 frames

DkS1 Fast roll is 13 frames, with medium roll being 11 frames.
The sweet spot in DkS2 is the 100 - 105 space, which is more than enough to dodge anything in PvE, and most things in PVP as well.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Note that in DS2, rolling distance is also a dynamic factor with respect to encumbrance.

Note: Having more AGI (iframes) and rolling shorter distance is actually more rewarding.

Edit
Which is really goddamn counter-intuitive! A fat roll that has 15 iframes? Gah, crazy!

Fat roll only starts after 70%(or nearby), so if you have equipment less than 70%..its actually very very useful in general. As you aren't getting very far from the target(s) who is/are attacking, since you don't roll very far and its easy to land a strike with some turn adjustment after the roll. (since half the meele weapons in the game have low reach)

Also with 70% (or 50%) encumbrance budget, you got a bit more items/equipment on yourself.

Ruuppa

Note that in DS2, rolling distance is also a dynamic factor with respect to encumbrance.

Note: Having more AGI (iframes) and rolling shorter distance is actually more rewarding.

Which is really goddamn counter-intuitive! A fat roll that has 15 iframes? Gah, crazy!

Edit!
Fat roll only starts after 70%(or nearby), so if you have equipment less than 70%..its actually very very useful in general. As you aren't getting very far from the target(s) who is/are attacking, since you don't roll very far and its easy to land a strike with some turn adjustment after the roll. (since half the meele weapons in the game have low reach)

Also with 70% (or 50%) encumbrance budget, you got a bit more items/equipment on yourself.

It just strikes me as very strange, considering that in DkS1 the length of the roll was directly tied to your encumberance, and thus, the iframes you gain. Whereas now you can have 15 iframes (Dark Wood Grain Ring flip in DkS1) on a full Havel doing near-fat rolls.
The slow, invincible, roll just highlights the iframes themselves, which were sort of camouflaged by the fast jumps you got in DkS1 with DWGR and Fast Roll.

Combat-wise, having a lot of iframes and a near-fat roll is actually really beneficial in many situations, where low encumberance rolls can really screw you over by rolling too far. Just another reason to not play a light armor build I suppose.

Entered the Forest of Fallen Giants. Climbed up a ladder to a platform where a giant bird dropped off a big armoured dude. His attack patterns are pretty easy to read but my straight sword doesn't do much damage, so battling him is going to be a rather drawn out affair.

Also, those little piggies in Majula are dicks.

Entered the Forest of Fallen Giants. Climbed up a ladder to a platform where a giant bird dropped off a big armoured dude. His attack patterns are pretty easy to read but my straight sword doesn't do much damage, so battling him is going to be a rather drawn out affair.

Also, those little piggies in Majula are dicks.

Died against him the first time? He won't be there again in the playthrough, he's moved to another portion of the stage.

Mistel

Banned
Is there any ninja type Armor in this? DS had some, but so far in 2 I haven't found any and I am 20 something hours in.
There's the shadow set:
QNwWRwB.png

But you need to be at bonfire intensity two in no mans wharf and they only spawn in a certain place.

Wolff

I don't know whats going on. I'm trying to max out the covenants, but the weird thing is i killed over a hundred invaders yet the Way of the Blue covenant is at level 1, and if i join it and talk to Saulden nothing happens. Same for the Bell covenant in which i'm pretty sure i killed over 100 players protecting the bell from them, yet it still says i'm level 1 and if i talk to the npc nothing happens. Am i doing something wrong? Someone had a similar problem here?

I just maxed rat covenant and gained a level on the BoB at least, but still, the other ones i'm just not getting ranked up.

Edit:

Killed two invaders and for some reason now the covenant of blue ranked me to lvl 2. Guess the game didn't process lot of what i did. Gonna keep going then.

Ruuppa

I don't know whats going on. I'm trying to max out the covenants, but the weird thing is i killed over a hundred invaders yet the Way of the Blue covenant is at level 1, and if i join it and talk to Saulden nothing happens. Same for the Bell covenant in which i'm pretty sure i killed over 100 players protecting the bell from them, yet it still says i'm level 1 and if i talk to the npc nothing happens. Am i doing something wrong? Someone had a similar problem here?

I just maxed rat covenant and gained a level on the BoB at least, but still, the other ones i'm just not getting ranked up.

Edit:

Killed two invaders and for some reason now the covenant of blue ranked me to lvl 2. Guess the game didn't process lot of what i did. Gonna keep going then.

You need to be in the requisite covenants when you do the things they require. Like you only get Awestones while you're in the Champions.

Not sure about the Bellbongers, I never had the patience to keep doing it. The amount of makework you have to do to max out some covenants is ludicrous, especially considering the paltry rewards. BoB is anti-fun incarnate.

This fucking bird mask thing is the only option? Really? Fuck. Is there anything samurai-like in the game?

Mad Warrior Helmet, I guess, but it makes you look more like a Predator than anything else.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Best is to mix and match the sets..

.Thief Mask/Imported Hood
.No Man's Warf shadow armor
.Imported Manchettes
.Wanderers Boots

Altazor

But the homing arrows sucks in PVE =(

as in the homing arrows you can get as spells? Because if so, yeah, I agree.

During my ranged runs, I think I've cleared that particular area so many times as I'm heading downwards that spellscoping them has become second nature to me.

Oh, absolutely. A small issue with my caster is that he was mainly a hexer, so I HAD to attune GHSArrows just to clear that part, 'cause Dark Orbs have bad range. With my first, melee, character... I resorted to using a crossbow. Did the job, though it was annoying anyway.

Holy shit, I love this game but I think I just quit for good. The hit detection is god damn terrible. I was so far from the Throne Defender's sword I was in the next fucking township, I had to change my legal address, yet I teleport over to his sword like fucking Spock.

Altazor

Yeah, hit detection is definitely worse in this game. I was replaying DS1 earlier (NG+ baby!) and I was somehow expecting some enemies to hit me a la DS2... but nope. Safe from harm. Feels good man.

PranooY

Is there any other way to get Great Demon Hammer other than from Dyna and Tilo's randow drop?

Also suggest some really good strength weapons. I'm on my NG+ btw.
My STR=55-60, I think.

Is there any other way to get Great Demon Hammer other than from Dyna and Tilo's randow drop?

My STR=55-60, I think.

I think is exclusive of them, my priest got it but I dont think I will use it.

Beat the Last Giant and Pursuer. The former wasn't too bad but the latter gave me some trouble as parrying was important in order to beat him and up until then I hadn't trained myself well in that regard (almost never parried in the original Dark Souls). I appreciate the game forcing me out of my comfort zone early on so that hopefully I won't get burned too bad once I get further in.

PranooY

Beat the Last Giant and Pursuer. The former wasn't too bad but the latter gave me some trouble as parrying was important in order to beat him and up until then I hadn't trained myself well in that regard (almost never parried in the original Dark Souls). I appreciate the game forcing me out of my comfort zone early on so that hopefully I don't get burned too bad further in.
I never bothered parrying pursuer, rolling was my main thing for that boss battle.

Altazor

Completely unrelated: I knew Peter Serafinowicz was the voice of Pate in this game, but I didn't know HOW obsessed he was with Dark Souls and the fact that he approached Namco-Bandai with the idea of acting in the game. Such a great video.

I just love Peter's voice.

EDIT:

My STR=55-60, I think.

Great Club is beastly. Absolutely recommended.

Mistel

Banned
My STR=55-60, I think.
Gyrm great hammer, gyrm axe, giant warrior club, pursuer ultra greatsword, mastodon halberd, mastodon greatsword, and kings ultra greatsword.
Haha Alonne set isn't very samurai-like (I wore it for entirety of NG), if anything it really makes you look skinny.
It's the closest thing there is to it other than captains set within the base game.

PranooY

I farmed 3 petrified something from Earthen peak using Bonfire ascentic and beating queen Mytha 3 times. Is there any trick like quitting game or something after checking the Dyna and tylo item, so that I get Demon Great Hammer, guaranteed?

I mean any tricks similar to Demon Souls's Colourless demon soul farming from Sparkly the crow?

charsace

I mentioned that set in an earlier post along being mentioned by others.

You could of used a soul vessel instead of starting again if you don't want to loose your progress.

I know. I feel like having the second character though. Paladin on a mission to save souls is now on the island

Mistel

Banned
I farmed 3 petrified something from Earthen peak using Bonfire ascentic and beating queen Mytha 3 times. Is there any trick like quitting game or something after checking the Dyna and tylo item, so that I get Demon Great Hammer, guaranteed?

I mean any tricks similar to Demon Souls's Colourless demon soul farming from Sparkly the crow?
No there's not smooth and silky stones are easier to get and you can get a demon great hammer with them.

Soulhouf

Found this ripoff dark souls helmet in a UFO catcher?
http://i.imgur.com/RM0Hlqn.jpg

Hahaha. Did you manage to grab one?

Ascetic the Giant Lord bonfire to get every time 1 petrified something and 5 smooth stones in the first memory where Captain Drummod is.
The chance to get a Demon Great Hammer with these items is pretty high.

PranooY

Finally got the Demon Great Hammer.

Btw, I fought the pursuer after beating Smelter Demon. During the fight, I backed away to the staircase to heal which caused him to despawn.
Will he not come back?

Also Avelyn crossbow is amazing..

Ruuppa

Finally got the Demon Great Hammer.

Btw, I fought the pursuer after beating Smelter Demon. During the fight, I backed away to the staircase to heal which caused him to despawn.
Will he not come back?

Also Avelyn crossbow is amazing..

He respawns. Just use the bonfire and go back.

You should have used the Avelyn before the nerf, it was OP as hell.

Myomoto

On the PC you can copy your save game before you drop the item for the crows, and then overwrite your current save game with the old if you don't like the item they give you, to try again. It's also kind of cheating.

Manu

Two quick questions.

How far am I into the game once I reach Drangleic Castle?

And also, where is the Ember I need to upgrade my weapons? I haven't found it yet...

Top Bottom