• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Jaeger

No healing in PVP!?

praise-god.gif

NBtoaster

Now.. Does that mean that if someone invades you, it disables your ability to heal as well?

That's a pretty major clincher for me.

Might just mean the arenas. Somebody invading you but being halfway across the level and you having to deal with enemies already attacking you without healing would be bullshit.

Minamu

Most excellent patch from the looks of things. My Sun Sword got nothing though :( But I haven't touched the game in weeks, pvp got boring with the Halberds after already collecting my 100th Belfry Luna kill.

Altazor

that's some bigass patch notes.

A lot of it seems good... sadly, they're gonna nerf mah Great Club's strong attack ;_;

(no, I don't really do PvP so rest assured, I'm not a typical "spammer")

Newboi

Man, I really wish the Sun Sword got buffed as well, it's such an awesome weapon that is just less viable because it doesn't have high enough base damage. At least I hope that dex scaling in general has been improved.

Looks like I might pick up katanas with this new patch. I also saw that the Handmaid's Ladle was buffed and given a status effect...I might be rocking a Mundane Ladle soon lol.

Mistel

Banned
That's what I took it for. But it could also mean the period of time you're stunned after getting heavily hit when you have no stamina..?
Maybe it is the second one considering makes poise pointless if you get a respite from stunlocked after a period of time.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That patch is insane. They've redone so much, it'll almost be a different game? Well, guess we'll have to play and see.

I hope you can still heal while being invaded though, otherwise that's insane. I hope it's just for red sign summons and arenas.

So the Defender Greatsword got nerfed, but can now be buffed (with something other its auto-buff)? Interesting.

Havel got nerfed. Good.

Still wish they'd just remove Soul Memory though...

Xeroblade

That patch is insane. They've redone so much, it'll almost be a different game? Well, guess we'll have to play and see.

I hope you can still heal while being invaded though, otherwise that's insane. I hope it's just for red sign summons and arenas.

I am sure that its only the arena but would be awesome for red signs. What scares me is that since this patch is so big, I am sure they fucked up somewhere and one of those weapons that they buffed they buffed too much.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I am sure that its only the arena but would be awesome for red signs. What scares me is that since this patch is so big, I am sure they fucked up somewhere and one of those weapons that they buffed they buffed too much.
Yeah, that patch is big, I wonder how much they really tested everything. When you adjust the values on so many weapons, something's bound to break... then again, there's so many of them so maybe it'll all be balanced out in the end. XD

Santier's Spear maybe?
I doubt it. It was piss-weak after the nerf, so if they boosted it a bit it'll do it some good. It doesn't need to be as OP as before, but it definitely needed some increase back. My mundane build went from very strong to my weakest toon. :(

Soulhouf

I doubt it. It was piss-weak after the nerf, so if they boosted it a bit it'll do it some good. It doesn't need to be as OP as before, but it definitely needed some increase back. My mundane build went from very strong to my weakest toon. :(

Hmm? I just tried my raw santier spear and it's still pretty powerful. I didn't upgrade it but I can see it has potential.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It wrecked shit up before the patch, even in NG+, but now it's pretty weak. Backstabs and ripostes do pathetic damage even in PvE. The most generous I'll be is to call it "decent". But with the Avelyn nerf, my Mundane went from my strongest toon to my weakest, so that was pretty disappointing. If Santier gets its damage back (or at least a slight increase), and Avelyn remains nerfed, then my Mundane will not be as OP as before, but it might actually be balanced, which would make me happy enough.

Ruuppa

Check out Chaos Blade. It's ripping through people even in it's current state, and it's only getting buffed. Sure, it's damage to user is also getting buffed, but that doesn't matter when it kills people in 3-6 hits.

Wish Dagger/Shadow Dagger critical damage was reduced. One backstab and you're dead or near enough, no matter how well you did before.

Mistel

Banned
Wish Dagger/Shadow Dagger critical damage was reduced. One backstab and you're dead or near enough, no matter how well you did before.
Not using the backstab negating stuff?

Hopefully with this buff Gyrm greataxes might be actually useful and not outshone by the Gyrm axe.

Ruuppa

Not using the backstab negating stuff?

Hopefully with this buff Gyrm greataxes might be actually useful and not outshone by the Gyrm axe.

And waste a ringslot? Forshame! The two tops just look *hideous*, utterly unfashionable. I'd rather take the deaths than wear that junk.

I get the point though, I guess I'll have to bend a bit and keep a Gower's in reserve.

That upcoming patch's looking good for the PVP department. Anything to shore up the current ~10k playerbase on Steam is a good thing.

On the flipside, get your caster/Miracle runs done before it lol, can't do anymore braindead GLS/LS runs once the patch hits.

feel

This cute little fella is misunderstood, we were nice to him and rubbed his belly and he just refused to attack us.. aaaawww

screenshot_2014-07-1169u7a.png

jsrv

What does 'status values' ("ステータス補正値"?) mean from the official english translation patch? Are they referring to weapon scaling, poise damage or something else?

Mistel

Banned
What does 'status values' ("ステータス補正値"?) mean from the official english translation patch? Are they referring to weapon scaling, poise damage or something else?
Status values is applied to weapons, armor, and miracles so I assume it is damage and stuff like that maybe.

After a couple dark souls run throughs, I'm going to do another DS2 run. Any word on pure sorc builds? Are they viable?

DS1 Sorcerer 2.0, can play without a shied now, game changer. Caster rings are easy to get now and your starter gear is OP for elemental resistance.

Soul spear and homing souls mass (their crystal versions are only available in NG+) have been slightly nerfed so you practically play with your arrows now, catalyst can be upgraded (thank god) and there are more caster sets with interesting bonus with no negative impact like the dusk crown.

Soul Geyser is the new Boss killer spell this time but its late game and the Soul sword is the new Homing soulmass. Outside them the new spells are situational and not good good damage.

This cute little fella is misunderstood, we were nice to him and rubbed his belly and he just refused to attack us.. aaaawww

screenshot_2014-07-1169u7a.png

It can also sings if you are far enough.

Arcayne

those patch notes are glorious!

edit: is there another forum or the like where the ds2 pvp community hangs out? I feel like everytime I come across a player with a potential "cheese" build (dual Avelyns, Havelyns, MastoHelix Havels, currently dual straight sword), a day or two later passes and everyone in Arenas or outdoor pvp adopts the same exact build. I'd like to be in the know of any pvp discoveries :)

Ruuppa

those patch notes are glorious!

edit: is there another forum or the like where the ds2 pvp community hangs out? I feel like everytime I come across a player with a potential "cheese" build (dual Avelyns, Havelyns, MastoHelix Havels, currently dual straight sword), a day or two later passes and everyone in Arenas or outdoor pvp adopts the same exact build. I'd like to be in the know of any pvp discoveries :)

4chan's /dsg/ is one of the bigger ones. They're sharing builds, cheese and CE codes like crazy down there.

"Ah, I see you are using my fire infused Malformed Skull build. Good choice."

Edit: They have some pretty fun fightclubs down there too. The newest one people are preparing for there is a Wizard Tournament.

Arcayne

4chan's /dsg/ is one of the bigger ones. They're sharing builds, cheese and CE codes like crazy down there.

"Ah, I see you are using my fire infused Malformed Skull build. Good choice."

Edit: They have some pretty fun fightclubs down there too. The newest one people are preparing for there is a Wizard Tournament.

Ahh thank you! I appreciate the quick response!

edit: Navigating 4chan is... quite interesting.

Ruuppa

Ahh thank you! I appreciate the quick response!

edit: Navigating 4chan is... quite interesting.

Try the Catalog -view (in videogame generals, /vg/). It helps a lot.

Usually there are lots of links to stuff and things in the opening post, with everything else being quite ah. Random.

It's not the easiest place to pick stuff up, but it picks up the new cheeses and things like that pretty damn fast. Old stuff gets lost just as fast though.

Nordicus

Damn, Shaded Woods is not a fun area as a pure sorcery spellcaster. First you're forced to survive an ambush of melee poisoners, then go through a section where you can't lock on, and then finally arrive at a place where everyone is incredibly magic resistant

I hadn't come across a cheater in ages but I found one just now Huntsman's Copse using infinite HP + Scraps of Life spam. Thankfully I had just rebuilt my character to include a +10 Alonne Greatbow and I was able to blast him off a cliff. Got 77,875 souls for the kill which is definitely the most I've ever received from a single PVP fight.

Edit: The very next invasion was against a guy with a speed cheat! That was absolutely crazy looking.

Mistel

Banned
Damn, Shaded Woods is not a fun area as a pure sorcery spellcaster. First you're forced to survive an ambush of melee poisoners, then go through a section where you can't lock on, and then finally arrive at a place where everyone is incredibly magic resistant
The lion cult warrior are resistant to lots of different things. It's easier to run around them then fight them, as the fog gate is pretty much easy to get to.

DS1 Sorcerer 2.0, can play without a shied now, game changer. Caster rings are easy to get now and your starter gear is OP for elemental resistance.

Soul spear and homing souls mass (their crystal versions are only available in NG+) have been slightly nerfed so you practically play with your arrows now, catalyst can be upgraded (thank god) and there are more caster sets with interesting bonus with no negative impact like the dusk crown.

Soul Geyser is the new Boss killer spell this time but its late game and the Soul sword is the new Homing soulmass. Outside them the new spells are situational and not good good damage.

It can also sings if you are far enough.

Thanks. Are spells overall more powerful this time? It looks like there are less casts available.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
- Fixed bug in Undead Purgatory where after being defeated in the arena the game would be stuck in loading forever.

So they did not fix it for the Cathedral of Blue? That's what happened to me and broke my save. A pretty fucking stupid bug to leave in the game until now

Dont remind me of that, I didnt got the chance to meet the scorpion guy at first. I had to stuck them un a wall and kill them one by one nearly depleting all my spells.

Thanks. Are spells overall more powerful this time? It looks like there are less casts available.

Yes, Spells are more powerful than DS1 (and there is a new spell aura that can double its damage) but in coop are high capped ath the beginning.

You have more casts per spell in standard spells, special spells like soul spear, homing soulmass and the new ones have limited uses like always but there gear and rings that can give you more spells.

Top Bottom