• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

So that last Majula chest item is a week today, hope it's something fun or unusual.

Has anyone kept up with all that stuff? I couldn't be bothered since I haven't really played in a while and there wasn't really anything you couldn't get elsewhere.

June 5, 2:00 pm: Petrified Something x3 (for Dyna & Tillo trading)
June 11, 2:00 pm: Twinkling Titanite x2 (for weapon upgrading)
June 18, 2:00 pm: Cracked Red Eye Orb x5 (for invading)
June 25, 2:00 pm: Bonfire Acsetic x4 (for increasing Bonfire level)
July 1, 2:00 pm: Poison Stone x1, Bleed Stone x1 (for weapon infusion)
July 8, 2:00 pm: Elizabeth Mushroom x3, Withered Dusk Herb x3 (for healing/spell cast replenishment)
July 15, 2:00 pm: Smooth and Silky Stone x5 (for Dyna & Tillo trading)
July 22, 2:00 pm: A Secret Item! (probably a Pendant)

Outside the first two rewards the rest are meh.

Looks like the DLC one have
two bosses
and you can summon non dlc players to play the DLC

For the dlc is it likely all bonfires will be set at level 1? I only have 1 character and it's deep into NG++.
If DS1 is anything to go by, if you're in NG++ the DLC will be too.

edit - beat!

Looks like the DLC one have
two bosses
and you can summon non dlc players to play the DLC
I was reading the newest info about it on IGN, and I'll definately be waiting for the whole thing to be out before buying. Might even wait for the inevitable disc version - it doesn't sound all that great tbh - or that long, so I'm happy to wait until it's on sale or something.

I was reading the newest info about it on IGN, and I'll definately be waiting for the whole thing to be out before buying. Might even wait for the inevitable disc version - it doesn't sound all that great tbh - or that long, so I'm happy to wait until it's on sale or something.

Me too
and more since they are just reworked DS1 models at least in this first DLC
, I can wait till all the dlc is available or someone shared me the license.

Mistel

Banned
It says you can be summoned to it without having it yourself. So is it similar to the last game where its already on disc and its the key thingy you buy?

Welp New game + dlc it is

image.gif

Ruuppa

I don't know what to do with this game. The weapons just don't feel very satisfying. There aren't any weapons that I'm excited to make a new character specifically to use or anything.

Try the Butcher's Knife. It's got a nice moveset, and it's up for a big buff on the 18th.

A dedicated spearman is also pretty fun to roll around as.

GorillaJu

You're right the Butcher's Knife is looking nice. AR increase, scaling increase and weight decrease. My old discarded character, Sexual Mildred, is making a return.

Can someone help me understand how to dump textures?

I'd like to try my hand at making my own, however I can't understand how I dump them.

I have the GeDoSaTo mod installed which is the main ENB made by Durante is my understanding...I think.

Anyway it allows me to textures dump by chaning an ini file however I have no idea where the fuck the Dumped Textures save?

Can anyone help here or point to a tutorial, I have googled and youtubed for an answer and can't find one.

Nordicus

I like how Souls games kinda circumvent the whole "hide helmet" thing by making everything weigh something so you can balance out your missing headgear by saving points in Vitality, getting slightly better rolls, speed and stamina regen, saving a ring slot or equipping other heavier gear. My sorcerer has been running helmetless for the whole game as I'm thinking about doing a bit of fashion souls and I honestly don't think I've been missing out much.

Granted, I am not upgrading any of my armor because I'm likely to change any and every piece of gear if I find something prettier (still extremely likely at this point), so I'm a bit squishier than I'd otherwise be.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I like how Souls games kinda circumvent the whole "hide helmet" thing by making everything weigh something so you can balance out your missing headgear by saving points in Vitality, getting slightly better rolls, speed and stamina regen, saving a ring slot or equipping other heavier gear. My sorcerer has been running helmetless for the whole game as I'm thinking about doing a bit of fashion souls and I honestly don't think I've been missing out much.

Granted, I am not upgrading any of my armor because I'm likely to change any and every piece of gear if I find something prettier (still extremely likely at this point), so I'm a bit squishier than I'd otherwise be.

The intent to get around the 'Hide Helmet' might not have been though about, its only possible as the character armor is being split into separate head, torso, hands and leg slots. But yes, its great..that players can somehow adjust the helmet's stats by using another piece of armor at another location. (aka..mix and match)

Note: I always play Demon/Dark Souls games without a helmet, or with a Bone Crown in Dark Souls 2.

NBtoaster

The intent to get around the 'Hide Helmet' might not have been though about, its only possible as the character armor is being split into separate head, torso, hands and leg slots. But yes, its great..that players can somehow adjust the helmet's stats by using another piece of armor at another location. (aka..mix and match)

Note: I always play Demon/Dark Souls games without a helmet, or with a Bone Crown in Dark Souls 2.

yup, bone crown goes with everything.

After finishing with my katana build, I restarted as a sorceress. Interesting how different the game is, which enemies are scary, etc. Also, it is amazing how much easier NG is the second time.

I also started looking at speedruns, but it looks like there is still a lot to be settled about categories, etc. Does anyone know if the parry glitch still works on the latest versions?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Silver Coronet for me in Demon's. Crown of Dusk on female mage-types (otherwise nothing), and crowns or (at the most) wanderer/rogue hoods, but usually I prefer no helmet too. I want to see my character's face!

Ruuppa

Silver Coronet for me in Demon's. Crown of Dusk on female mage-types (otherwise nothing), and crowns or (at the most) wanderer/rogue hoods, but usually I prefer no helmet too. I want to see my character's face!

My characters end up butt-ugly, so I use Sack in DkS1 and Prisoner's Hood in DkS2.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Heh, I spend enough time getting the faces right, so I don't want my efforts to go to waste. :)

Making a handsome male is nigh impossible in Dark Souls though. I managed it in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls II only.

neoism

I always use the hexer hood lol I even forgot what I look like..
anyone know if there be a mod so you can change yo character again?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ewww... what's with the extreme amounts of blur/DOF/Vaseline in your shots?
PS3 version, taken by a friend with a capture card (I don't have one myself) who was using the binoculars, which add that blurring effect. Sorry about that. :| When I get the PC version I'll be able to take my own screenshots!

'Dragon's Sanctum - Its flooded lower regions are patrolled by immense saurian beasts, while the vast tower rising from the shallow lake is guarded by agile and powerful Black Knights, among the quickest common enemies in Dark Souls 2'.

Really?

GorillaJu

'Dragon's Sanctum - Its flooded lower regions are patrolled by immense saurian beasts, while the vast tower rising from the shallow lake is guarded by agile and powerful Black Knights, among the quickest common enemies in Dark Souls 2'.

Really?

Nice. Such a shame their weapons are shitty in this game.

Nice. Such a shame their weapons are shitty in this game.

Is it nice, though? I feel like DS2 relies too heavily on the rose-tinted memory of DS1. I mean, the occasional obscure throwback is nice, but some of the inclusions seem far too on the nose.

That being said, Black Knight armour set? Yes, please.

Afrocious

Trying to beat this game again but pushing through it. The problem here is I'm uninterested. I got the platinum trophy on the PS3 version weeks before the PC game came out. Took me about 3 or 4 playthroughs to get everything sans the two invisible weapon rings. As you can tell, I'm wore out.

I don't mind how I can beat the game in a day without trying on a weekend. However, and this may be me beating the snot out of DS2, are the areas too easy to breeze past enemies? Perhaps the bosses are too close to where you can reach them. Sure, in all the Souls games, a player got good at beelining past traps, enemies, etc. However in DS2, I felt it took less time to do so with or without shortcuts and definitely ignoring how enemies can stop spawning. This is an odd complaint because I think the enemy combat in DS2 is the best in the series with how aggressive foes are. Again, I can marathon DS2 even after putting the game down for a few months. The areas doesn't put a lot in your path to try and stop you.

Another letdown I have is how the game never nests me in Drangelic. I never felt I was learning about the land and the world's origins throughout the game itself except for when I read item descriptions. This isn't as big of a criticism as how easy it is to skip enemies, but for as much as the Drangelic is subtly hinted at being Lordran (or across the sea or something from it), the closest I ever felt like I was a stranger venturing in a strange land or feeling small in the world was when I went into the big well in Majula or visited the Dragon Shrine. In the previous Souls games, visiting the areas linked to the Nexus succeeded in showing me I'm in the arguably safest area in the world. For Dark Souls 1, key moments were discovering Ash Lake and the everlasting dragon, going into the painted world, descending to kill the Bed of Chaos, and finally encountering the final boss.

Despite all this, I do think DS2 is just as good as its predecessors and I think everyone should play it who's even slightly interested. Though, I may end up getting the dlc on the ps3 and call it a day. I'm pissed there's no PS3 save file converter.

Yes, the game fails to deliver its own lore's awareness and just throw the enemies and bosses (some are not even boss quality at all) without taking consideration of the game owns design which makes you question why it was designed that way and getting that emptyness.

Take in mind this is not the same studio who make Dark Souls interconnected world/lore/bosses design and you can easily feel this after feeling the game is pushing you to finish it and less reward in exploration or getting out of the road.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Can someone help me understand how to dump textures?

I'd like to try my hand at making my own, however I can't understand how I dump them.

I have the GeDoSaTo mod installed which is the main ENB made by Durante is my understanding...I think.

Anyway it allows me to textures dump by chaning an ini file however I have no idea where the fuck the Dumped Textures save?

Can anyone help here or point to a tutorial, I have googled and youtubed for an answer and can't find one.

Enable texture dumping in the INI file, then the textures will be at

Code:
*GeDoSaTo*\textures\DarkSoulsII\dump

Edit them with photoshop and then save as PNG.

ElTopo

Banned
I'm on NG+ and I have my Strength/Melee build (with Pyromancy) and I just took out The Lost Sinner.

Man, those 2 Pyromancers were a bitch. Yeah, they had low health and poor A.I. but you just cannot take your eyes off the Sinner or he'll nail you.

Took me about 10 tries. It's funny, I beat the game 2 or maybe 2 and a half months ago and I've forgotten how to get to a lot of places.

I have such a love/hate relationship with the Zweihander; I think it's an incredible weapon but I often find myself on the business end of a backstab (or lagstab, rather) trying to use it online. However, when I do get into a groove with it it's so fun to use and quite versatile.

While farming Soul Vessels in the crypt I had two separate blue invasions go like this: Invader finds me, taunts me, I run at them and get some hits in, they retreat into a pack of enemies and refuse to come out, eventually I die due to impatience/frustration.

One ran aaaaaaaaaall the way over to Velstadt's place for a nice little heal after I had hit him once. So annoying.
screenshot_2014_07_18_00_30_44_by_realghostvids-d7r2npv.jpg

On the bright side though, I managed to land a big fat parry while two-handing the Zweihander! Lag be damned, I still prevailed and it looked absolutely ridiculous.

Mistel

Banned
I have such a love/hate relationship with the Zweihander; I think it's an incredible weapon but I often find myself on the business end of a backstab (or lagstab, rather) trying to use it online. However, when I do get into a groove with it it's so fun to use and quite versatile.
It's rather good two handed but you have to play very aggressively. Doing the staggering moves whilst using it and keep pressing the attack on them so they can't kill you. Hopefully.

Enable texture dumping in the INI file, then the textures will be at

Code:
*GeDoSaTo*\textures\DarkSoulsII\dump

Edit them with photoshop and then save as PNG.

Can I have custom textures enabled at the same time or is that a no no?

EDIT: I just did exactly what you said, only had texture dump enabled and tried it with dump and texture mark enabled and both did nothing.

As in the DUMP folder is still empty, I also had to create the dump folder myself.

ElTopo

Banned
I like the Claymore the most. I leveled it up all the way to Raw status at 333 damage and it does a good job. Great wide swings and a stab while not leaving me open for a century. Coupled with my Flame Weapon Pyromancy I feel pretty confident with it. I also have +2Drangelic sword as a backup because of the increased Durability fatigue in NG+.

I want to get the Pursuer's Greatsword as I keep hearing it's the best Boss Soul Weapon but I might hold off until all the DLC is out first.

Soulhouf

Zwei is a fantastic weapon for PvP. It seems it will get a buff in the next patch/calibration so it'll be even more so.
I just hope it won't become over used.

Congratulation for the parry BTW. I never managed to trigger it while 2H that weapon.

ElTopo

Banned
Man, The Rotten was a pushover in NG+.

I was expecting phantoms and poison statues but nope. He just had slightly higher health.

Also.

What is the purpose of the giant Ant in The Gulch?

Mistel

Banned
Zwei is a fantastic weapon for PvP. It seems it will get a buff in the next patch/calibration so it'll be even more so.
I just hope it won't become over used.
What will you do if it does? It's already good for pvp won't the upcoming improvements encourage more to use it?
What is the purpose of the giant Ant in The Gulch?
The giant ant cures poison with those clouds.

ElTopo

Banned
What will you do if it does? It's already good for pvp won't the upcoming improvements encourage more to use it?

The giant ant cures poison with those clouds.

Makes sense.

Of course by that point you're too far away to make it to the ant in time to cure the poison and makes more sense to use the Poison Moss on the fly.

Top Bottom