• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Ruuppa

In the Iron Keep after killing the
Smelter demon, a pursuer shows up in the room
. Are there any other instances of this?

Yes,
in NG+ Drangleic Castle throne room.

It's a shame there's no more of him, since I remember some interview where he was talked about "Hounding the player through the whole game". And he is a somewhat interesting fight as well.
Until you find out he has a crippling weakness to circle-strafing right.

Great patch, it nerfs everything I was using through ng++ which was honestly too easy. However, I worry the DLC may be bit too tough on my ng++ toon now. Don't want to have to start a new char for it, so I will see how it goes. At least it shakes things up now.

Yes,
in NG+ Drangleic Castle throne room.

It's a shame there's no more of him, since I remember some interview where he was talked about "Hounding the player through the whole game". And he is a somewhat interesting fight as well.
Until you find out he has a crippling weakness to circle-strafing right.

Feels like you are fighting a promethean knight but you can assassinate this one. The Pursuer was meant to chase you right? I love how he drops the first time.

I wish FROM focused more on him using the eagle to drop him ala RE3's Nemesis to stop you in key points. Because the pursuer never stop to from advancing but is placed in soft places to battle him.

Damn, Shaded Woods is not a fun area as a pure sorcery spellcaster. First you're forced to survive an ambush of melee poisoners, then go through a section where you can't lock on, and then finally arrive at a place where everyone is incredibly magic resistant

As a pure caster, the only way to easily take 'em down is by backstabbing them. The Dagger is incredibly useful for that section.

The Lion warriors are slow, and provide ample opportunities for backstabs between each attack animation.

They are incredibly weak to physical damage, and nothing else.

As for the section you can't lock on, that's what your binoculars are for. I comb that area using spell scoping and it hasn't failed me once.

Mistel

Banned
Feels like you are fighting a promethean knight but you can assassinate this one. The Pursuer was meant to chase you right? I love how he drops the first time.

I wish FROM focused more on him using the eagle to drop him ala RE3's Nemesis to stop you in key points. Because the pursuer never stop to from advancing but is placed in soft places to battle him.
The Pursuer kinda attempts to follow you just not that often and turns up late. I thing it could of been better placed in more areas or different places. Like maybe on the beams at iron keep or in the misty area of shaded woods.

Nordicus

As a pure caster, the only way to easily take 'em down is by backstabbing them. The Dagger is incredibly useful for that section.

The Lion warriors are slow, and provide ample opportunities for backstabs between each attack animation.
Hah, never thought about backstabs. I think it's because so many Dark Souls 2 enemies turn so fast compared to the first game that I just quit trying except when Syan Knights use their lightning attack.

I mainly stabbed, then backstepped when the lion warrior attacked. They really buffed the backstep in DkS 2, haven't used that so often since Demon's Souls. In DkS I usually punished whiffs with jump attacks.

As for the section you can't lock on, that's what your binoculars are for. I comb that area using spell scoping and it hasn't failed me once.
I just straight up don't like the idea of spell scoping, I refuse to use it. If they ever meant for spells to be carefully aimed like that, they would have added a "Hold down R1 to aim manually" or something. Bows are cheesy enough on their own.

Ruuppa

I just straight up don't like the idea of spell scoping, I refuse to use it. If they ever meant for spells to be carefully aimed like that, they would have added a "Hold down R1 to aim manually" or something. Bows are cheesy enough on their own.

Wait until you get to Brightstone Cove Tseldora. You might want to spellscope just a little bit in there.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
FUCK YES. I managed to fix my corrupted save! 60 hours of playtime rescued by playing 10!

Basically the trick is to just walk around for a few minutes in the area your save got corrupted, quit to the title screen and load your save a few times. It'll eventually sort itself out. It didn't work for me the first few times but I made the error to quit the game entirely.

Tried the main menu way twice and it worked on the second go. So fucking happy, now I can go get murdered by Velstadt again! And now that horrible arena load bug is fixed. (At least for Blood bros? What about bluebros?)

It's a huge relief it was the Chapel of Blue arena at least, it was easy to get back there.

Don't forget the superspeed Alonne Knights. Although I've kinda gotten used to them already, their sonic stab is still annoying.

That's a bug?

I thought it was a legitimate ability that they had lol, they're clearly modelled after and moving about like samurai, so the quick step and the lightning thrust technique/quick sheath technique (like the dudes from Kenshin) is a part of it.

Guess I was wrong.

Ruuppa

That's a bug?

I thought it was a legitimate ability that they had lol, they're clearly modelled after and moving about like samurai, so the quick step and the lightning thrust technique/quick sheath technique (like the dudes from Kenshin) is a part of it.

Guess I was wrong.

Check out the Alonne Captain quickdraw charge. More than once I've seen them use that to teleport 5m off a ledge, just to fall into the lava.

I kind of like the superspeed for the extra challenge, but it's total Benny Hill crap when you actually look at their animations.

Edit: Here's the FPS -test video that was making rounds sometime ago, at the point where he's testing the animations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=EVrlwnYkRMI#t=95

That's a bug?

Guess I was wrong.

Feels like the model didnt was intented to move at that speed and they rarely do it unless you provoque them.

neoism

Great patch, it nerfs everything I was using through ng++ which was honestly too easy. However, I worry the DLC may be bit too tough on my ng++ toon now. Don't want to have to start a new char for it, so I will see how it goes. At least it shakes things up now.

nah at worst you'll have to soul vessel lol I'm almost a faith only character all meh GLS :*(. I'd like to get to sl300 before the dlc... Man I really hope its not just 2 hours and 1 boss :/

neoism

yeah losing saves is the worst if it happen to me with this game I probably.. wouldnt play anymore... not sure why but this game doesn't have the (startallover) replayablity like it does for some people I can play for awhile though just got alittle over 100 hours so far will probably go for another once all the dlc is out... but starting all over not sure.... I do wish they would let you make your character over again once you start NG+

Trakan

What were you using?

What were you using?

nah at worst you'll have to soul vessel lol I'm almost a faith only character all meh GLS :*(. I'd like to get to sl300 before the dlc... Man I really hope its not just 2 hours and 1 boss :/

Yeah, Soul Vessel for sure, except my +5, +10 investments may now be worthless and farming is already nerfed or at least more difficult with bonfire ascetics.

My goto weapons are Defender Greatsword, Greatsword, Great Club and Gyrm Greathammer. Also used GLS as backup.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

I was hoping that The Pursuer would chase a player like the Dahaka in Warriors Within, that would have been just awesome..

Nordicus

So on my sorcerer, I managed to beat Mytha without clearing out the poison though it cost me a rough ~25k in life gems and those were largely wasted because my final try didn't use any.

I'm almost convinced that pure sorcerers can't beat this fight without a massive amount of luck. I tried again and again but sorcerer's cautious playstyle and Mytha's unpredictable calm behaviour at range made it so that she either regenerated all the damage I did, or she'd hit me right as I was using a health item or casting a spell.

What method did I then use to get through the fight, you may ask. 2-handing a Magic Mace +6 with Great Magic Weapon cast on it. The windows of opportunity were much clearer, my DPS was higher, my attacks generally faster hence safer, and she'd often get stunned thanks to my poise damage.

I'd really like to hear how people beat her without clearing the poison with ranged sorceries, if anyone has.

So on my sorcerer, I managed to beat Mytha without clearing out the poison though it cost me a rough ~25k in life gems and those were largely wasted because my final try didn't use any.

I'm almost convinced that pure sorcerers can't beat this fight without a massive amount of luck. I tried again and again but sorcerer's cautious playstyle and Mytha's unpredictable calm behaviour at range made it so that she either regenerated all the damage I did, or she'd hit me right as I was using a health item or casting a spell.

What method did I then use to get through the fight, you may ask. 2-handing a Magic Mace +6 with Great Magic Weapon cast on it. The windows of opportunity were much clearer, my DPS was higher, my attacks generally faster hence safer, and she'd often get stunned thanks to my poise damage.

I'd really like to hear how people beat her without clearing the poison with ranged sorceries, if anyone has.

Melee sorcerer with the priest weapons that have insane strike lulz, Its not imposible to kill her as a pure sorcerer but its nearly imposible to kill her in your first run without draining the poision..

Question about the final boss:
what happens when you kill the watcher and defender without first getting the giant's kinship? Does she just not show up? Does any NPC say anything to you?

Does anyone know where to get the season pass for cheaper than what its selling at now? any luck?

Greenman gaming has 25% off but you might need to sign up for their emails.

Question about the final boss:
what happens when you kill the watcher and defender without first getting the giant's kinship? Does she just not show up? Does any NPC say anything to you?

Nothing further happens. In fact, it's the safest way to go about it unless you wish to fight all of them back to back for an additional challenge.

Nothing further happens. In fact, it's the safest way to go about it unless you wish to fight all of them back to back for an additional challenge.

I didn't realize how it worked so she showed up, but I just feathered away.

Finished the game for the first time with my katana build. It was so annoying not being able to get a katana for so long, but I managed to beat the game two handing the whole way, no shield.

I didn't realize how it worked so she showed up, but I just feathered away.

Finished the game for the first time with my katana build. It was so annoying not being able to get a katana for so long, but I managed to beat the game two handing the whole way, no shield.

The first katana drops in Iron Keep right? Never see it drop from alonne knights

My opponent and the Blue that came to assist...

ugh_by_realghostvids-d7qrmk4.jpg

One-shotted by dual Helix Halberds, ugh.

So that last Majula chest item is a week today, hope it's something fun or unusual.

Has anyone kept up with all that stuff? I couldn't be bothered since I haven't really played in a while and there wasn't really anything you couldn't get elsewhere.

Top Bottom