• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Throne Duo was a fun fight. One of the better ones in the game :D, best boss music for sure.

Really? I think it's awful. A lot of circling and waiting for your chance to get in 1 or 2 attacks before running away again, and the music has no build up. It's just kind of dull and goes on and on. I think best theme is between Old Not-Ornstein and Veldstadt.

neoism

Really? I think it's awful. A lot of circling and waiting for your chance to get in 1 or 2 attacks before running away again, and the music has no build up. It's just kind of dull and goes on and on. I think best theme is between Old Not-Ornstein and Veldstadt.
lol its funny to me almost every boss music sounds to same.. the best songs in both games are the character selection music lol
after playing for soo long I have the music down to almost off... and its weird this game everytime I play it I have to play it without other music and have the ingame sound effects on... not sure how some people play "souls" games while listening to music... just takes me out of the universe completely. Its not at all like say D3 which I cant even play without music.

lol its funny to me almost every boss music sounds to same.. the best songs in both games are the character selection music lol
after playing for soo long I have the music down to almost off... and its weird this game everytime I play it I have to play it without other music and have the ingame sound effects on... not sure how some people play "souls" games while listening to music... just takes me out of the universe completely. Its not at all like say D3 which I cant even play without music.

Skeleton lord and nashandra are the best songs IMO but you kill them so fast you can heard them. veldstak and the ol dragonslayer more recognizable becuase their strong instruments in the beginning.

Davenday

I'm having a caestus issue at the moment - in videos it shows quick left and right swings when dual wielding both caestuses. But when I do it, I start off with a right/left hand swing first, and it just uppercuts on the other opposite hand after.

What I am doing wrong? Is it a timing issue?

EDIT: I just realize I was completing the whole entire game without knowing about power-stancing. :(

SoldnerKei

I'm NG++, short of 5 sunlight medals to get Soothing Sunlight. Places to get summoned easily?

do you have trouble getting summoned on DLC maps? (assuming you have it) people has been summoning me like crazy

other place is the Dragon Riders duo right? I get plenty of summons there, dunno why

BeeDog

I'm NG++, short of 5 sunlight medals to get Soothing Sunlight. Places to get summoned easily?

As was suggested to me earlier, Twin Dragonriders proved to be very successful (Soul lvl ~225, don't know my Soul Memory). Obviously, the DLC bosses are also excellent summoning spots, but the problem there is that the bosses are so hard and will almost undoubtedly get the master killed.

BeeDog

Double-post time!

On my way to the Platinum, I realized I never even tried power stancing, so since I'm overloaded with upgrade stones and almost all the weapons available in the game, I figured, why not try it.

Can someone give me some suggestions on fun and kick-ass power stancing setups? I value weapons that provide higher damage output over quickness, since I'm usually quite mobile.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Double-post time!

On my way to the Platinum, I realized I never even tried power stancing, so since I'm overloaded with upgrade stones and almost all the weapons available in the game, I figured, why not try it.

Can someone give me some suggestions on fun and kick-ass power stancing setups? I value weapons that provide higher damage output over quickness, since I'm usually quite mobile.

Dual wield; Two pure physical damage items with the highest base damage per single hit and strike damage on top if it can help in the initial stages of with any NG+'s iteration every time.

.Large Clubs
.Great Clubs
.Giant Warrior Clubs (90STR for dual wielding these)
.Sanctum Maces (with high poison resistance gear)

.Then buff the right hand weapon with any spell (magic weapon and its upgraded versions, sunlight blade, dark weapon buff and its upgraded version), for high backstab damage if necessary.

.Use strong attacks only; while dual wielding any of the above in combination or clones of the same weapon
..character will do a swirling animation of the weapon in each hand and hit with both the weapons at the same time

Mistel

Banned
Dual greatswords, kings ultra greatswords, archdrake maces, drakekeeper warpick, and malformed skull.

Those are fun and still high damage.

PranooY

I keep getting "summoning Canceled, Unable to join Multiplayer" today (PS3). Usually this happens very rarely. Any suggestions/solutions?

I have a similar question, but for Dex weapons. I've been going back and forth between power stancing katanas and two handing murakumo. I tried PSing bleed flamberges but I'm just not a big fan. Anyone have any other recommendations?

Mistel

Banned
I have a similar question, but for Dex weapons. I've been going back and forth between power stancing katanas and two handing murakumo. I tried PSing bleed flamberges but I'm just not a big fan. Anyone have any other recommendations?
Un infused flamberge's have S DEX scaling so that's going to give more damage. Dual mirrah greatswords or a majority of spears (especially Pate's) would work well.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

Using the same DEX weapons in two hands is not worth, instead try to keep one main weapon and one secondary weapon which works in power stance.

Also you could try using 'Warped Sword' and check if you like its unique strong attack (especially when in power stance, with certain other DEX based weapons)

Easy_D

never left the stone age

I keep hearing this, but Ornstein was dumb as bricks when I fought him. Maybe his AI is buggy or something because when I did some co op after I beat him, I saw him use all kinds of crazy attacks he never tried against me.

As for Throne Bros, I didn't circle at all, I used rolls and jump attacks mostly, if you time it right, you can land the strike on the Watcher just before s/he does a stab and avoid it :D

Mistel

Banned
Also you could try using 'Warped Sword' and check if you like its unique strong attack (especially when in power stance, with certain other DEX based weapons)
That also works with several STR weapons in the straight sword and curved sword categories. If you are going to use a warped sword a spider silk or a drake keeper sword work well with it as the provide a bit of a range increase due to their size.

BeeDog

Thanks guys for the suggestions, will try them to see how it feels! If I flip around the question a bit and become a bit more specific, the weapons I mainly use now are Black Knight Halberd, Old Whip and Red Iron Twinblade, with the occasional blade, e.g. Berserker Blade. If I prefer those types of weapons, what could potentially suit me when it comes to power-stancing? Sorry if it's a bit too specific.

Mistel

Banned
Thanks guys for the suggestions, will try them to see how it feels! If I flip around the question a bit and become a bit more specific, the weapons I mainly use now are Black Knight Halberd, Old Whip and Red Iron Twinblade, with the occasional blade, e.g. Berserker Blade. If I prefer those types of weapons, what could potentially suit me when it comes to power-stancing? Sorry if it's a bit too specific.
A pair of red iron twinblades or stone twinblades powerstanced. Ideally the red iron ones as that will give you the best results. The moveset for twinblades when powerstanced isn't that great though so bare that in mind.

As for halberds a pair of mastodon halberds if you can carry them gives good results same with a pair of luercene's or a typical halberd it depends what sort of way your character is orientated in terms of STR or DEX to which will offer better results for you. I'd even recommend the dragon rider halberds if you were STR/INT build.

PranooY

Is there any way to know how many invasions I've completed successfully for Bell Keeper covenant? I wish to know how long I have to keep going for rank 3.
I've been killing of invaders rather than invading. That is ok too, right? For bellkeeper rank I mean.

Also does dried fingers and that thread help me get invaded more for bell keeper covenant rank?

Un infused flamberge's have S DEX scaling so that's going to give more damage. Dual mirrah greatswords or a majority of spears (especially Pate's) would work well.

Using the same DEX weapons in two hands is not worth, instead try to keep one main weapon and one secondary weapon which works in power stance.

Thanks. I have tried warped sword and like it except for the range. I'll check into the mirrah greatsword.

test_account

XP-39C²
I finished the DLC today. I somewhat painted myself into a corner when i played Dark Souls 2 (before any DLC was released). I was surprised over the higher difficulty level when i started playing the DLC, then i later on remembered and saw that i'm at NG+++++. I like to try to beat the game (and DLC) solo, but being on NG+++++, i couldnt beat
Elana on soly, so i had to summon help. The summoning of Velstadt was too hard for me. After that i also summoned help on the dragon boss. Maybe i could have beaten it solo, but since i already had cooped Elana, it didnt matter that much.
. I probably wouldnt have gone that many NG+ if i had kept the DLC in mind.

I still listen to the soundtrack in the car every once in a while.
I shower to Dark Souls music (okay, video game music in general). The Ancient Dragon is probably my favorite track from II.

My sister has commented that my music freaks her out, haha. I blast that shit. I'm sure the chanting doesn't help, but I'm positive she was referring to Resident Evil 4 music when she said it (Bitores Mendez, specifically).

Mistel

Banned
Thanks. I have tried warped sword and like it except for the range. I'll check into the mirrah greatsword.
If you have a pair of drangleic sword they will be superior to the mirrah swords in terms of damage so they will be better to use 270 C/A scaling for drangleic to 250 C/A for the Mirrah's. Mirrah's are just easier to obtain multiples of them since you can get a pair or use the identical old Mirrah greatswords instead.

How does the Thorn Greatsword stack up to the Defender Greatsword for Str/Faith users? Faith scaling pales in comparison but is the special attack worth it?

Mistel

Banned
How does the Thorn Greatsword stack up to the Defender Greatsword for Str/Faith users? Faith scaling pales in comparison but is the special attack worth it?
Thorned greatsword is stronger of the pair at max 210/80 with C/C/C scaling to 200/80 with C/D/C scailng uninfused. Unlike the defender great sword it doesn't gain much in the scaling department once infused but is still stronger in terms of damage with 197/112 to 192/115.

The special attack is useful in PvP and the moveset itself is pretty good too.

Ruuppa

Just started with the DLC, loving it so far. It's a damn lot more oppressive and difficult than the other parts of the game, that's for sure.

The normal Sanctum Soldiers aren't too hard, but there's lots and lots of them. Those archers are consistently ruining my day. Really easy to parry though.

I was really surprised by the amount of secrets they put into it. Lots of hidden nooks and crannies, and stuff that makes it easier to kill the things in Shulva. Still missing the last bonfire from the first area, and the first and last from the second area. Haven't seen any bosses yet.

Is there any way to get the item on one of the rising pillars outside the second bonfire of the first area? It's on a tight shelf, and even after 5 tries of jumping, rolling and dashing I couldn't get it.

Met Thomas. Cool guy, weird animation recoveries. He's dead now.

Looking forward to finishing it. It's a huge improvement over the other areas of the game, and not just because of the punishing difficulty.
The singing priestesses were a nice touch. The imperfect dragons right next to a bonfire were not..

Is there any way to get the item on one of the rising pillars outside the second bonfire of the first area? It's on a tight shelf, and even after 5 tries of jumping, rolling and dashing I couldn't get it.

Look for two extra switches next to the pit only reachable by long range attacks and a hidden one behind of those orange statues.

PranooY

Finally.

3Hv9QEn.png

Walked into Belfry Luna last night, dispatched two invaders simultaneously, challenged the Gargoyles and beat them without using a single Estus. I was quite pleased since that area usually gives me so much trouble.

ExVicis

Walked into Belfry Luna last night, dispatched two invaders simultaneously, challenged the Gargoyles and beat them without using a single Estus. I was quite pleased since that area usually gives me so much trouble.

You've done friend, you've gotten "gud". No longer will the term "git gud" apply to you ever again.

Congratz!! now you can rest, for now

Look for the key in the next area, it would help you to unlock some special door and the sinner if you not already killed her.

I finished the DLC today. I somewhat painted myself into a corner when i played Dark Souls 2 (before any DLC was released). I was surprised over the higher difficulty level when i started playing the DLC, then i later on remembered and saw that i'm at NG+++++. I like to try to beat the game (and DLC) solo, but being on NG+++++, i couldnt beat
Elana on soly, so i had to summon help. The summoning of Velstadt was too hard for me. After that i also summoned help on the dragon boss. Maybe i could have beaten it solo, but since i already had cooped Elana, it didnt matter that much.
. I probably wouldnt have gone that many NG+ if i had kept the DLC in mind.

Honestly I think
Elana
might be the hardest boss in the game now on + ranked difficulties. It used to be Lost Sinner with those 2 pyro phantoms but now I think we have a new #1.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Honestly I think
Elana
might be the hardest boss in the game now on + ranked difficulties. It used to be Lost Sinner with those 2 pyro phantoms but now I think we have a new #1.
I agree, though I'd go with the
three assholes
probably. Though I guess they can sorta be cheesed with toxic mist...

Throne Duo was a fun fight. One of the better ones in the game :D, best boss music for sure.

Eh, that fight is a love/hate relationship with me. On one hand they pose a significant challenge, on the other hand their challenge mainly comes from you being outnumbered, and a few of their move sets being unpredictable at times. However, being a ranged class makes the fight hilariously easy, having 50 faith, a Dragon Chime, and Sunlight Spear you can down them with 4 of them. Pre-patch you could easily have 6 Sunlight Spears, but now you get like 4, and have to sacrifice health for more casts, which in that fight is really risky. So you can down one, but the other is alive and kicking. Although, they still fall rather quickly using GLS which you can get three stacks of per playthrough, but also got their number of casts nerfed drastically. I really hate how lots of bosses in Dark Souls 2 are difficult because the boss outnumbers you, which is quiet irritating. Dark Souls had only one boss fight like that, technically two, but that's only if you took too long. I personally love the Executioners Chariot music, that one is really tense and dark in my opinion. My favourite fight overall would have to go to Smelter Demon, if you have enough health, he kinda reminds me of Artorias heh. Mirror Knight(I hate how they changed him to Looking Glass Knight) is another of my favourites. Potential spoiler, I think? Correct me if I'm wrong:
Old Iron King was annoying because of that tiny platform you have to fight him on, and the fact that your character is about as light as a feather when he hits you makes it even more annoying.

Favorite boss in the Pursuer.

Not the most challenging boss (challenge doesn't make a good boss anyway), but the guy hates you SOOOO much that he forgets how bad you beat him last time and keeps coming for more. His theme is atmospheric as hell and his first appearance was terrifying.

Mistel

Banned
Kinda random but can you survive the hippo grab animation?

They can be poisoned? Woot.
You should be able to with high enough health or that faster escape thingy that worked on mimics in the first one if it's still there.

I didn't tell you that when we talked about it?

You should be able to with high enough health or that faster escape thingy that worked on mimics in the first one if it's still there.

The reduced damage/faster release thing by button mashing doesn't work in DS2 as far as I know. You can survive the hippo grab with enough health, i think I had roughly 2k health and survived. As for the boss fights, I really used to like The Last Giant, before they nerfed him :(. Pursuer is funny since you can parry him then use the cross bolt cannons to take 90% of his health away.

I am curious since I always die before the hippo does the toss animation.

I dont remember such flawless design.

Khronico

I just spent a whole hour grinding alonne knights for blacksteel katana and it never dropped... Was wearing prisoners clothes, jester hat, and covetous gold serpent ring +1 too =/. Anyone have good drop grinding areas for this weapon? I was just going back and forth between the first bonfire in iron keep and the keep first 2 rooms.

I just spent a whole hour grinding alonne knights for blacksteel katana and it never dropped... Was wearing prisoners clothes, jester hat, and covetous gold serpent ring +1 too =/. Anyone have good drop grinding areas for this weapon? I was just going back and forth between the first bonfire in iron keep and the keep first 2 rooms.

I don't think there's any place where there's a higher chance. You can try using a bonfire aesthetic to get Golden Serpent Ring +2 since it gives a 100% luck increase, also use rusted coins as they boost luck. Other than that, no idea.

I hate hearing this because every playthrough I'll usually get 2-3 without even trying, and frankly I have no interest in them. I got 2 within 5 minutes of each other on my current playthrough.

Top Bottom