• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
Similar to the Llewellyn shoes ~3 or less.

Actually, while I'm saying that, do many people keep their weight low? I was thinking of trying to go light, but with the Flynn ring and carrying a few weapons, it is difficult to get much below 50 without going naked.
The best things I can thing of below that are the chaos boots, black boots, tights of judgement, and blood stained skirt. As for equip percentage it depends what I'm using really.

Khronico

HAHA so I ditched grinding for blacksteel katana and went to the belfry to hopefully get berserk blade and the FIRST run through mad warrior spawns and drops berserker blade. Oh man.

That katana is pretty rare, I dunno why the game nature is about grinding enemies that stop respawning.

I hate hearing this because every playthrough I'll usually get 2-3 without even trying, and frankly I have no interest in them. I got 2 within 5 minutes of each other on my current playthrough.

Well I used up all my giant souls.....is Vendrick still doable?

Also I remember before people used to be able to get 3000+ HP

I'm at 50 VIG, life ring +2, third dragon ring and lvl 150 and am only at 2300 HP. Nerfs?
I'm pretty sure the Giant Souls just lower his physical defense. Therefore using Sorcery/Miracles wouldn't need Giant Souls. An easy way to beat him is hugging his left leg and strafing around with him, all his attacks will go over your head. Using Sunlight Spear, Dragon Chime, and with 50 FTH I was able to take him down in like a minute. If you have 99 in all stats, Third Dragon Ring, Life Ring +2 and the Blue Seal on you get around 3100 HP. If you use Resonant Flesh you can get to nearly 3800 HP.

We don't get souls for winning Duels, right? Perfect, I don't have to worry about my soul memory.

I kinda like Soul Memory, for Co-Op, that is. After you reach 15million SM you are at the highest tier, and can Co-Op with people that have up to 99 million SM, if that's even reachable heh.

PranooY

Sweet, after Demon Souls and Dark Souls, I now also have Platinum trophy for Dark Souls 2 :D
Congrats.
Dark Souls and Demon Souls are kinda hard, coz u need max reinforcement of all the different weapon infusement and acquiring all the miracles, magic is time consuming.

Raxious

Congrats.
Dark Souls and Demon Souls are kinda hard, coz u need max reinforcement of all the different weapon infusement and acquiring all the miracles, magic is time consuming.

Yea, for Demon Souls I needed like a handful of trophies so I ended up using the dupe hack cause I didn't feel like playing for the 10000x time. Dark Souls took me about 90 hours.

Congrats.

I found it to be easier. In DaS2 I had to wait till NG++ to get all Miracles and Pyromancies.
Also till NG+ on one character because I messed up and released Navlaan even after like 50+ messages said turn back, don't you dare, etc.
The one thing that did annoy me was that you had to get all the boss weapons, so that took till NG++ since one boss had three possible weapons. So I guess it's about the same. I first had DaS on Xbox, and maxed it out. Then I got it on Steam and maxed it out again. Cool thing is since DaS used GFWL I got the same game completed twice.

PranooY

lol Im on NG+
and was thinking about releasing him does he invade you no stop if you do???
?
He does, about 4-5 times. He isn't too challenging. Issue is we will loose the ability to acquire spells/miracles by doing his "assassination" missions.

v1perz53

dmDIHmW.jpg
Sorry about the potato photo, had no way that I could think of to get a direct image.

My god, after about two weeks of trying I finally got the 0 deaths ring, so satisfying. Though doing this only served to show me how OP lightning spear really is for PvE, even after the nerf. My first character through used post nerf faith build and lightning spears killed all of the later bosses so much more quickly than melee. This character was a dex/pyro hybrid and I know dex isn't the best, but my spears would do easily 6-7x the damage of a melee swing.

Also interesting is how the entire challenge of a no death run to me was in the early parts of the game. Before I had enough souls to level up and customize my character, I had to be a lot more careful. As I said before, lost many attempts at pursuer (well, because I tried to parry but still). Once I got to Iron Keep, I was never even in danger of dying aside from one scare in the gutter where an enemy knocked me off a ladder (I had never seen those guys use the ladders) and left me with 10 HP.

Very fun challenge overall, now to get no bonfires on NG+ to have dual invisible weapons. Seems a lot easier since unlike no deaths, you can technically keep trying forever, nothing will remove your eligibility for no bonfire run.

Sorry about the potato photo, had no way that I could think of to get a direct image.

My god, after about two weeks of trying I finally got the 0 deaths ring, so satisfying. Though doing this only served to show me how OP lightning spear really is for PvE, even after the nerf. My first character through used post nerf faith build and lightning spears killed all of the later bosses so much more quickly than melee. This character was a dex/pyro hybrid and I know dex isn't the best, but my spears would do easily 6-7x the damage of a melee swing.

Also interesting is how the entire challenge of a no death run to me was in the early parts of the game. Before I had enough souls to level up and customize my character, I had to be a lot more careful. As I said before, lost many attempts at pursuer (well, because I tried to parry but still). Once I got to Iron Keep, I was never even in danger of dying aside from one scare in the gutter where an enemy knocked me off a ladder (I had never seen those guys use the ladders) and left me with 10 HP.

Very fun challenge overall, now to get no bonfires on NG+ to have dual invisible weapons. Seems a lot easier since unlike no deaths, you can technically keep trying forever, nothing will remove your eligibility for no bonfire run.

You can skip pursuer if I recall. Plus, you could always summon two phantoms and have them be meatshields while you launch the ballistas. I haven't bothered with either, I know for a fact I will never get the no death one since I always decide to be ballsy and risk everything heh. That and I don't PvP If one reallllllly wants it with almost no effort, they can grind for the 1million souls and get through Shrine of Winter without really doing any bosses. With the no bonfire one, you're still allowed to light bonfires, just you can't rest at them and when you light them you spawn back at them, which doesn't break the challenge, only problem would be having to run back to level up.

v1perz53

You can skip pursuer if I recall. Plus, you could always summon two phantoms and have them be meatshields while you launch the ballistas. I haven't bothered with either, I know for a fact I will never get the no death one since I always decide to be ballsy and risk everything heh. That and I don't PvP If one reallllllly wants it with almost no effort, they can grind for the 1million souls and get through Shrine of Winter without really doing any bosses. With the no bonfire one, you're still allowed to light bonfires, just you can't rest at them and when you light them you spawn back at them, which doesn't break the challenge, only problem would be having to run back to level up.

Yea, you can skip pursuer. I only ever did it because I wanted the antiquated key to skip Ruin Sentinels (before I started running it I thought it would be the harder fight) and I figured I couldn't possibly die again to Pursuer. What phantoms can you summon for that fight? I played offline because I couldn't get effigies to work correctly to prevent invasions, and I didn't want to lose a run that way.

And the funny thing is the bosses were almost never the issue, besides pursuer I was never close to death during a boss. It was always small mistakes during random fights with regular enemies that came close to killing me. Honestly not sure if grinding 1 million souls and skipping to Drangleic Castle would make the run that much easier, you'd be at the castle with no chunks to get your weapon upgraded.

Yea, you can skip pursuer. I only ever did it because I wanted the antiquated key to skip Ruin Sentinels (before I started running it I thought it would be the harder fight) and I figured I couldn't possibly die again to Pursuer. What phantoms can you summon for that fight? I played offline because I couldn't get effigies to work correctly to prevent invasions, and I didn't want to lose a run that way.

And the funny thing is the bosses were almost never the issue, besides pursuer I was never close to death during a boss. It was always small mistakes during random fights with regular enemies that came close to killing me. Honestly not sure if grinding 1 million souls and skipping to Drangleic Castle would make the run that much easier, you'd be at the castle with no chunks to get your weapon upgraded.

There are no NPCs you can summon for him, to reduce invasions you burn the effigy at the bonfire, however, it limits all engagement with players co-op included, if I'm not mistaken. That's true, weapon upgrades are extremely important, so ignore that bit of terrible advice heh.

Mistel

Banned
There are no NPCs you can summon for him, to reduce invasions you burn the effigy at the bonfire, however, it limits all engagement with players co-op included, if I'm not mistaken. That's true, weapon upgrades are extremely important, so ignore that bit of terrible advice heh.
Weapons can still be upgraded to maximum without the dull ember only not infused.

Weapons can still be upgraded to maximum without the dull ember only not infused.

Yeah I know. Just it would be harder to get chunks and shards
(which you can get from hand tentacle rapists in the gulch)
if you were to grind 1 million souls and go through Shrine of Winter. Plus you also lose out on on the sublime bone dust and estus shards.

Mistel

Banned
Yeah I know. Just it would be harder to get chunks and shards
(which you can get from hand tentacle rapists in the gulch)
if you were to grind 1 million souls and go through Shrine of Winter. Plus you also lose out on on the sublime bone dust and estus shards.
You aren't going to get anywhere without a branch of yore anyhow. There's more to farm for chunks than just coal tars easier to get too as well.
You can use the bastard sword/heide sword and practically takes you to the end with ease.
There's also the Mace that's quite lethal too.

v1perz53

You aren't going to get anywhere without a branch of yore anyhow. There's more to farm for chunks than just coal tars easier to get too as well.

If there is a better place to farm chunks before Drangleic Castle (aka not counting Dragon Aerie) besides coal tar please god let me know. Tseldora is garbage and Doors of Pharos Gyrm are garbage too. I farmed those three places up to bonfire level 4 fully through and coal tar was notably higher in chunks. On my first playthrough I wanted to try a bunch of different weapons so I needed a ton of chunks, was an absolute chore. Kind of funny when you think about it, since in Dark Souls 1 Chunks were the easiest of all the materials to get. I would have actually broken slabs down into chunks in Dark Souls II if I was able to.

Unless you just mean easier to physically get to, which I would actually argue as well. If you know the zipline trick in the gutter, you can get from Majula to Gulch in about 10 minutes.

Yea I decided on no co-op for the no death run as well. Too risky and felt a little cheap. A good phantom would help too much and a bad phantom could end the run right there.

Thats kinda funny to be an early weapon considering it can destroy the bosses so fast and be the starter weapon for priests since they cant weild it properly but still is the starter weapon because you dont have enough spells to survive.

Mistel

Banned
If there is a better place to farm chunks before Drangleic Castle (aka not counting Dragon Aerie) besides coal tar please god let me know. Tseldora is garbage and Doors of Pharos Gyrm are garbage too. I farmed those three places up to bonfire level 4 fully through and coal tar was notably higher in chunks.
I was going to say Pharros with item boosting discovery gear is one of the better places to farm considering that the Gyrm warriors are easy to kill. But the other place is the Belfry Luna and Sol if you kill trespassers which isn't too hard most of the time. Coal tar's only drop chunks or large shards so it luck of the draw really.
Thats kinda funny to be an early weapon considering it can destroy the bosses so fast and be the starter weapon for priests since they cant weild it properly but still is the starter weapon because you dont have enough spells to survive.
Is funny that ain't it? Can't even one hand their own starting weapon but as far as the starters go it's pretty excellent in the whole grand scheme of things.

v1perz53

I was going to say Pharros with item boosting discovery gear is one of the better places to farm considering that the Gyrm warriors are easy to kill. But the other place is the Belfry Luna and Sol if you kill trespassers which isn't too hard most of the time. Coal tar's only drop chunks or large shards so it luck of the draw really.

Is funny that ain't it? Can't even one hand their own starting weapon but as far as the starters go it's pretty excellent in the whole grand scheme of things.

Well, the key to the coal tar area is twofold. One, once you kill the poison statues they don't come back after resting at a bonfire unless you leave the area. And two, you can light the tar on fire with fire arrows/bolts and the hand thing never comes out and just eventually dies. I can do a full clear of coal tars in under 2 minutes (I timed it to know how often to use more rusted coins heh) and because you never actually fight them, you can get your bonfire intensity up to 99 and still farm them just as easily. Only thing you actually fight is the worm guys, and they literally are unable to hit you if you position correctly.

But you are right in that Belfry Luna and Sol are the best bet for chunks, though I did have some long wait times between invasions/invaders when playing off peak hours. The issue with that is we were specifically talking about chunks in a no death playthrough, which kind of eliminates taking a chance with Luna and Sol, as invasion and invader deaths count.

As far as Pharos, the gyrm are pretty easy to kill, but the drop chance was a little lower than tars. Benefit to gyrm is tons of other drops you can sell to gavlan for extra souls.

So I lost a line with Vendrik, How in the hell
Vendrik knows exactly about manus fragments,Manus himself the abyss and detailed stuff of 1000 years or more but in Dark Souls 1 no one have any idea of what happened to oolacile.

sin+palabras.gif

That's because Clerics are a melee hybrid, and from what people tell me they want you to two hand the mace for some time, till you add the point in STR and can then one hand it, and then see the dmg difference between two handing and one handing. My friend keeps getting mad at me when I say I never melee with my cleric because he's like they were supposed to be a caster and melee hybrid! I ended up having over 100 GLS and used them to kill mobs. Drives him insane when I say I used them for mobs heh.

I can't get over how flawless the summoning is now, it makes me feel so happy inside to place my sign down and be summoned within seconds. Also Soul Memory allows me to co-op forever basically, so long as people want to co-op.

Decided to play around with the Crypt Blacksword a bit and am starting to like it. Got it up to +5, but can't decide if I should infuse it with Dark or keep it vanilla. Buffing with resonant soul gives it a pretty good boost.

Ruuppa

So I lost a line with Vendrik, How in the hell
Vendrik knows exactly about manus fragments,Manus himself the abyss and detailed stuff of 1000 years or more but in Dark Souls 1 no one have any idea of what happened to oolacile.

Since it's implied that Vendrick was one of the Chosen Undead (but decided to leave Anor Londo instead of doing either of the endings), we could assume that he used the portal to access ancient Oolacile, and learned of Manus there. That would be one explanation.

Or someone wrote that stuff down somewhere.

2AdEPT

I regret killing Lucatiel of Mirrah this time. Made it till the Iron Keep with SM around 172K and I can't find any summons for the first boss
Smelter Demon

try going solo? You can use a fireresistant shield etc, but he's a fun boss to two hand!

Mistel

Banned
Decided to play around with the Crypt Blacksword a bit and am starting to like it. Got it up to +5, but can't decide if I should infuse it with Dark or keep it vanilla. Buffing with resonant soul gives it a pretty good boost.
It gives a dark scaling boost so if you've got the stats it's worth it. Goes to D/D/S from D/D/A. Until you find something with dark resistance.

I keep getting invaded by the laggiest blues in the Iron Keep -_- I can plant my weapon a hair from their foot and miss and yet they're wagging their swords in the air ten metres away and I'm taking a hit for 1500 damage.

And then this shit happened:
http://a.pomf.se/hnuefx.webm

I've done this boss so many times and I've never seen that before!

It hasn't been the best evening for Dark Souls, though I did manage to lead one invader onto the hanging platforms above the lava in Iron Keep and then dunk him in. That was a satisfying win after he landed an incredible lagstab on me before that.

Yeah, it's MetaCap. I got sick of being matched up with people above level 400 and facing nothing but terrible Havel monsters. It's done a pretty great job at keeping the playing field even since I started using it.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it's MetaCap. I got sick of being matched up with people above level 400 and facing nothing but terrible Havel monsters. It's done a pretty great job at keeping the playing field even since I started using it.

How does MetaCap work in the game? The explanation on the NEXUS site is a bit ambiguous or confusing for me.

Sullichin

How does MetaCap work in the game? The explanation on the NEXUS site is a bit ambiguous or confusing for me.
It locks your soul memory based on your level. At SL150 your SM is locked at 3 million, which is fair (takes less than that to make a SL150 character), but what is unfair is that you are locked at that SM while "legitimate" players inch ever closer to fighting nothing but monsters every time they get souls.

The best things I can thing of below that are the chaos boots, black boots, tights of judgement, and blood stained skirt. As for equip percentage it depends what I'm using really.

*giggle*

Didn't know it showed win/loss, is that for arena duels?

EDIT: how did I manage to double post.

Mistel

Banned
Also Soul Memory allows me to co-op forever basically, so long as people want to co-op.
I'm afraid that due to the nature of soul memory itself that is not really true.
Fear the almighty tights of judgement lol.
Thought I'd ask; any info on Crown of The Old Iron King? According to the DS2 wiki it's releasing August 26th http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Crown+of+the+Old+Iron+King
It works like the previous DLC with a portal from the old iron kings primal bonfire. Those without the dlc will be able to be summoned to a harder most likely optional area.

Spoilers obviously.

ElTopo

Banned
Whelp, I just saw a random PVP vid of a dude using Forbidden Sun and I was thinking "Wow, that looks awesome! How have I not found that yet?" and I looked it up. I had no idea that that NPC in Aldia has a quest line and the instant you free him you can't do it. That sucks hard. At least I have an excuse to try NG++ I guess (that and getting Great Chaos Fireball).

ElTopo

Banned
Only thing that pisses me off in PVP is when the connection is really bad. I.E. they land a backstab 20 feet away and they taunt.

That and getting invaded when I'm just about leave an area or get to a boss. Had it happen twice where I wanted to warp to Marjula because I had to take a piss and got invaded.

Top Bottom