• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

I just spent a whole hour grinding alonne knights for blacksteel katana and it never dropped... Was wearing prisoners clothes, jester hat, and covetous gold serpent ring +1 too =/. Anyone have good drop grinding areas for this weapon? I was just going back and forth between the first bonfire in iron keep and the keep first 2 rooms.

That katana is pretty rare, I dunno why the game nature is about grinding enemies that stop respawning.

That katana is pretty rare, I dunno why the game nature is about grinding enemies that stop respawning.

They did the enemies stop respawning for two reasons. One, make it easier for getting to bosses, if you kill the enemy 15 times, or how ever many times you need to for them to stop spawning, you can defeat them, no need to keep having them come. One of the most annoying things about Dark Souls for me was the path to the boss fights, it wasn't difficult just time consuming and tedious. The other reason, which I think was the main one was because people farmed everything almost. Humanity wasn't very rare because you could just farm rats for it, I ended up with 198 humanity by farming for a couple hours. You never needed to use souls for titinite since you could just farm them. One funny thing though is Slabs are supposed to be the rarest and most expensive martial but you can farm them from the stone soldiers which never stop respawning heh.

Dekanach

I just spent a whole hour grinding alonne knights for blacksteel katana and it never dropped... Was wearing prisoners clothes, jester hat, and covetous gold serpent ring +1 too =/. Anyone have good drop grinding areas for this weapon? I was just going back and forth between the first bonfire in iron keep and the keep first 2 rooms.

Seriously? wow. I collected 10 Blacksteel Katanas and all of them in my first playthrough. I feel lucky in a some way.

PranooY

Congratz!! now you can rest, for now
Thanks.
Yea, i need some rest. Spent a lot of time getting summoned to get 30 sunlight medals and did 30+ invasions for Bell-Bro rank 2.

Why are you fixated on Blacksteel Katana? Manslayer, Uchigatana and Berserker blade are other excellent katanas, which are easier to find.
BTW..i didn't get the blacksteel katana on my first playthrough. But did on my second.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't Manslayer or Uchigatana almost same or slightly better?

Depends what you mean by "better". Personally, I much prefer the Quick Draw focused move set on the Blacksteel than the Uchi. There's also a little trick where you can chain 2 x 2H Strong Attacks after a running attack surprisingly quickly, which I think only the Darkdrift can match. Won quite a few PvPs like that.

The Manslayer is excellent when poison-imbued and in combination with another Manslayer or a poison-imbued Spotted Whip. It can really panic people. I just much prefer the more gentlemanly Blacksteel approach.

Ruuppa

what would be best? Considering most stuff got nerfed hard.

Lightning got nerfed in casts and in damage (buggy patch) so not that. But with enough Attunement, it's still "ok".
Dark is fine, and he seems to have less resistance towards it. About 20 GRS casts should be fine-ish. Dark Fog can poison him as well, but that does negligible damage on later +'s.
Sorcery has some good spells: Soul Shower, Focus Souls (haven't tried on him but is neato), Crystal Soul Spear. You can also bump your damage with Unleash Magic to kill him faster. I'd probably use Sorcery now that Miracles are meh. Most of the Sorceries only take one slot as well, so you can have a lot of spells. If you have multiple Crystal Soul Spears, he's pretty much cake.

Raxious

Lightning got nerfed in casts and in damage (buggy patch) so not that. But with enough Attunement, it's still "ok".
Dark is fine, and he seems to have less resistance towards it. About 20 GRS casts should be fine-ish. Dark Fog can poison him as well, but that does negligible damage on later +'s.
Sorcery has some good spells: Soul Shower, Focus Souls (haven't tried on him but is neato), Crystal Soul Spear. You can also bump your damage with Unleash Magic to kill him faster. I'd probably use Sorcery now that Miracles are meh.

I'll try Hexes then, downside is I gotta lvl up both Faith and Int to 99 I'm guessing.

Well I used up all my giant souls.....is Vendrick still doable?

Also I remember before people used to be able to get 3000+ HP

I'm at 50 VIG, life ring +2, third dragon ring and lvl 150 and am only at 2300 HP. Nerfs?

Raxious

I'm at 50 VIG, life ring +2, third dragon ring and lvl 150 and am only at 2300 HP. Nerfs?

no, but you can use bonfire ascetic to respawn the giants.

Ruuppa

He is doable. But it takes a LONG time. Someone posted a vid of one player taking him down with a Bleed dagger with no Giant Souls. That was about half an hour or so.

You can use Resonant Flesh to jump to 3000+, or overcharge your Vigor to over 80.
Edit: My bad, even at 99 Vig you're still under 3000. You need to be very near max level with 99 Vig to get to over 3000 with the rings.

Raxious

almost done with my NG+ run, then I need to get 3 milion souls in NG++ so I can get to drangleic and get my platinum trophy :D

neoism

its really not worth it... I got one some how but I cleared out every enemy in the first bonfire area and the second one just after semlter is a really good souls grinding spot....go with the manslayer..
For 40/50 DEX the blacksteel is the strongest katana.

damn really im not a str build though only got 20 didnt know that....i have a +5 poison manslayer... it does feel a little weak...my main weap though is a +10 Black Lighting Murakumo which is amazing is got like 266+(38) 266+(49)
They did the enemies stop respawning for two reasons. One, make it easier for getting to bosses, if you kill the enemy 15 times, or how ever many times you need to for them to stop spawning, you can defeat them, no need to keep having them come. One of the most annoying things about Dark Souls for me was the path to the boss fights, it wasn't difficult just time consuming and tedious. The other reason, which I think was the main one was because people farmed everything almost. Humanity wasn't very rare because you could just farm rats for it, I ended up with 198 humanity by farming for a couple hours. You never needed to use souls for titinite since you could just farm them. One funny thing though is Slabs are supposed to be the rarest and most expensive martial but you can farm them from the stone soldiers which never stop respawning heh.

yeah I fucking love this system I'm sure most dont though, but they give the player the control over the enemy spawns.... it got a little old in DS1 just running past enemies all the time... I loove the bonfire bonfire ascetic system... really hope its in DS3

What the, I got Lingering Dragon Crest Ring +1 from a Desert Sorceress in Earthen Peak and then I got the Desert Sorceress Top from the very next one! With zero item find gear on!

Across five characters with three of them in NG+ I have never seen even one of those drops, and now I get both? The drop rates in DS2 are so weird.

Edit: phantomrange.webm

http://a.pomf.se/nkplif.webm

neoism

What the, I got Lingering Dragon Crest Ring +1 from a Desert Sorceress in Earthen Peak and then I got the Desert Sorceress Top from the very next one! With zero item find gear on!

Across five characters with three of them in NG+ I have never seen even one of those drops, and now I get both? The drop rates in DS2 are so weird.

Edit: phantomrange.webm

http://a.pomf.se/nkplif.webm

whaaa ;o didnt even know the new rings had +1's cool need to got their anyway to farming ambers :p lol never mind thought that was that new lighting dam ring...... imstupid :p
soo goose my character is basically fucked for pvp right I'm really never been that interested because I suck a geems but Im only sl240 but my SM is 13 million :(

whaaa ;o didnt even know the new rings had +1's cool need to got their anyway to farming ambers :p lol never mind thought that was that new lighting dam ring...... imstupid :p
soo goose my character is basically fucked for pvp right I'm really never been that interested because I suck a geems but Im only sl240 but my SM is 13 million :(

Are you concerned about not being able to find other players at that Soul Memory? I don't think you'll have any trouble, especially in hot areas like the Iron Keep bridge, Heide's Tower, and Huntsman's Copse.

Dem katanas mang. Stab to win. They seem to have at least two times the range on that stab attack, even to the sides of the blade.

What are you using to make your .webms?

I know, right? Any poking weapon has this crazy cone of damage which looks totally ridiculous when you're hit by it.

For webms I use this script and Shadowplay to record the original footage.

neoism

Are you concerned about not being able to find other players at that Soul Memory? I don't think you'll have any trouble, especially in hot areas like the Iron Keep bridge, Heide's Tower, and Huntsman's Copse.

I know, right? Any poking weapon has this crazy cone of damage which looks totally ridiculous when you're hit by it.

For webms I use this script and Shadowplay to record the original footage.

nah its probably because I just SUCK :p I only have like a 10% win % most ppl just rekt me lol but like I said I'm really just a PVE player... but it would be nice to win a little more...

nah its probably because I just SUCK :p I only have like a 10% win % most ppl just rekt me lol but like I said I'm really just a PVE player... but it would be nice to win a little more...

I think the best tip I could give you is to be cautious, especially now that poise was patched and is more effective. With three weapon slots in each hand and powerstance there's no reason to not have several different weapon types on you for PVP, this way you can adapt to your opponent and also change things up on the fly if they're not working. Also, remember that any weapon type is viable for PVP; I've played a lot of PVP and have been killed by everything. Certain weapon types are considered to be better than most (greatswords, katanas, straightswords) but that shouldn't stop you from experimenting to see what you like.

Trakan

Wow, they nerfed Hexes to the point where they're not even usable anymore. Resonant Weapon now does roughly the same damage as Dark Weapon and doesn't last anywhere near as long. Resonant Soul does comparable damage to Dark Orb, which has more castings and takes less slots to attune. Great Resonant Soul's damage is way lower and so are the castings.

I don't know what From was thinking.

Pooya

DLC:

I got the crown... now what? stats are shit :\

Are any of those items hanging in middle section of moving pillars worth the trouble of getting them?

neoism

Woo ow summoning at the frog boss for sunlight medals is sooo easy lol thought it would take a long time to get 30 already half way

Does the medals I offer to the covenant reset on a new play through I offered like 5 medals invNG but the cat said I had 0. Does it reset if you change covenant?

Mendrox

Anyone knows where I can get a cheap EU Key? Or are the RU keys not that bad at all? Maybe somebody can sell me one? :)

Already played the game on PS3 but I am hyped for 1080p and 60fps

PranooY

Woo ow summoning at the frog boss for sunlight medals is sooo easy lol thought it would take a long time to get 30 already half way

Does the medals I offer to the covenant reset on a new play through I offered like 5 medals invNG but the cat said I had 0. Does it reset if you change covenant?
No, it does not.

Question: Most of the PVP takes place at the first bonfire of Iron Keep. I am using the dragon remnants sign to let them invade me. But as soon as they feel they'd loose, they run towards the castle and I can't chase coz I have not cleared the castle. Any way to close the castle door? :) Any other suggestions to get around this?

Mistel

Banned
Does it reset if you change covenant?
Covenant progress is kept if you swap covenants.
damn really im not a str build though only got 20 didnt know that....i have a +5 poison manslayer... it does feel a little weak...my main weap though is a +10 Black Lighting Murakumo which is amazing is got like 266+(38) 266+(49)
Although you aren't a STR build a greatsword has lower base requirements than the Murakumo and has far more favorable STR scaling. That once infused with lighting at max has 280/280 damage with A/E/B scaling. Something to bare in mind maybe.

Using the same DEX weapons in two hands is not worth, instead try to keep one main weapon and one secondary weapon which works in power stance.

Also you could try using 'Warped Sword' and check if you like its unique strong attack (especially when in power stance, with certain other DEX based weapons)

Went back to the Warped sword and I'm going to stick with it. I really like it with a katana in my offhand.

Anyone have a recommendation for leg armor? I have the Llewellyn armor, shadow gloves (not sure they are even worth the bleed), and no helm for now. I've been going with black leather boots, but I thought I'd ask Fashion Souls GAF if you have a suggestion.

Mistel

Banned
Question: Most of the PVP takes place at the first bonfire of Iron Keep. I am using the dragon remnants sign to let them invade me. But as soon as they feel they'd loose, they run towards the castle and I can't chase coz I have not cleared the castle. Any way to close the castle door? :) Any other suggestions to get around this?
Seed of the giants they run in and the Alonne guys take care of them for you. Or you can at least catch up and finish them off.
Anyone have a recommendation for leg armor? I have the Llewellyn armor, shadow gloves (not sure they are even worth the bleed), and no helm for now. I've been going with black leather boots, but I thought I'd ask Fashion Souls GAF if you have a suggestion.
Llewellyn shoes, Drakekeeper boots, and Imperious leggings. The Shadow gaunlets only work on something that has bleed either naturally or infused onto it.

Khronico

Thanks.
Yea, i need some rest. Spent a lot of time getting summoned to get 30 sunlight medals and did 30+ invasions for Bell-Bro rank 2.

Why are you fixated on Blacksteel Katana? Manslayer, Uchigatana and Berserker blade are other excellent katanas, which are easier to find.
BTW..i didn't get the blacksteel katana on my first playthrough. But did on my second.

I really like the look and moveset of the blacksteel katana... It's a pretty weak motive I know.

I guess once I exhaust the spawns of katana knights I'll just move on to farming mad warrior until I get his stuff. Doesn't seem like the rng is with me this run.

PranooY

I really like the look and moveset of the blacksteel katana... It's a pretty weak motive I know.

I guess once I exhaust the spawns of katana knights I'll just move on to farming mad warrior until I get his stuff. Doesn't seem like the rng is with me this run.
If you love the moveset, then go for it. Try bonfire ascetic, if u exhaust all the spawns.

Quickly switch to a bow or greatbow and hope you can let off a shot before they get around a corner.

I hate people that do that when it's 1v1! In Earthen Peak I had a guy who accidentally (I'm guessing) switched his main weapon during the fight and his buff went out. He switched back to the weapon and then stood there momentarily before sprinting around the corner into some enemies so he could re-cast Flame Weapon. Instead of following him I just timed a Curved Dragon Greatsword R2 perfectly for when he poked his head back in the hallway. Knocked him on his arse and then finished him off with an arrow as he got back up.

Edit: Speaking of RNG, this NG+ run has been unbelievable for me in terms of drops. So far every Alonne Knight has dropped something for me, along with most other enemies in the game so far. No farming gear either, so I don't know what's going on.

Ruuppa

I have never found one. Is it supposed to be at tree of giants, right? Wikidot says chances of it spawning is 10% with each invasion. :(

It's a bit better than 10%, I think. You can farm them easily if you leave the dark spirit
Aslatiel of Mirrah
alive. Just run past him up the stairs and he should get unsummoned, with a chance of spawning a seed. If you do it a couple of times in a row, you'll up your chances of getting one.

PranooY

Quickly switch to a bow or greatbow and hope you can let off a shot before they get around a corner.

I hate people that do that when it's 1v1! In Earthen Peak I had a guy who accidentally (I'm guessing) switched his main weapon during the fight and his buff went out. He switched back to the weapon and then stood there momentarily before sprinting around the corner into some enemies so he could re-cast Flame Weapon. Instead of following him I just timed a Curved Dragon Greatsword R2 perfectly for when he poked his head back in the hallway. Knocked him on his arse and then finished him off with an arrow as he got back up.

I went to Undead Purgatory to participate in some duels. Its really fun and there is no need to worry about any external interruptions. Only thing unfair here is miracle users healing themselves, whereas we pure strength build guys cannot.

Mistel

Banned
I have never found one. Is it supposed to be at tree of giants, right? Wikidot says chances of it spawning is 10% with each invasion. :(
Yep it is the tree of giants that gives you them.
I'll check if I have the llewellyn shoes. The others are heavier than I would like.
How heavy would you like them to be then?
The Alonne Captain's also drop the blacksteel katana if you start to run out of the Knights so they're worth farming too.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I regret killing Lucatiel of Mirrah this time. Made it till the Iron Keep with SM around 172K and I can't find any summons for the first boss
Smelter Demon

How heavy would you like them to be then?

Similar to the Llewellyn shoes ~3 or less.

Actually, while I'm saying that, do many people keep their weight low? I was thinking of trying to go light, but with the Flynn ring and carrying a few weapons, it is difficult to get much below 50 without going naked.

Ruuppa

Similar to the Llewellyn shoes ~3 or less.

Actually, while I'm saying that, do many people keep their weight low? I was thinking of trying to go light, but with the Flynn ring and carrying a few weapons, it is difficult to get much below 50 without going naked.

I like keeping low weight, since being heavy usually translates to using a shield for me. I've never liked using one, so low weight suits me. I usually go bare-headed as well, so that helps with the weight as well.

I like keeping low weight, since being heavy usually translates to using a shield for me. I've never liked using one, so low weight suits me. I usually go bare-headed as well, so that helps with the weight as well.

Same. I was using the mad warrior armor and staying just under 70% because of the poise and high physical defense, but I kind of like being lighter with Llewellyn.

Same, I never use helmets, but that's for aesthetic reasons. Wish there was a hidden helmets option.

I regret killing Lucatiel of Mirrah this time. Made it till the Iron Keep with SM around 172K and I can't find any summons for the first boss
Smelter Demon

Allies just make that fight harder, IMO.

neoism

Covenant progress is kept if you swap covenants.

Although you aren't a STR build a greatsword has lower base requirements than the Murakumo and has far more favorable STR scaling. That once infused with lighting at max has 280/280 damage with A/E/B scaling. Something to bare in mind maybe.

I have to say the A, B, C, D, E shit is really annoying seeing how sometimes it will say A but it will really be more like C I wish they used 1-100 scale or something... I do love curved greatswords though shame there is only like 3 or 4 in the game :/
but I my vessal to str for a bit and see...

Top Bottom