• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Jaeger

Random thought, but I really want to see the Land to the East where possibly both Sir Alonne and Shiva of the East come from.

Now that would be sweet. Keep it horror-fantasy, but less Western Medieval design and more Ancient Japan and China.

And how do you explain the memory of the ancient dragon? he's already dead and there are no witnesses around him... except you.

The whole "memory of the old iron king" doesn't make much sense unless it was the "memory of Sir Alonne"... but that could've ruined the surprise to fight him.

The same applies with other characters was well like Lycia and Nashandra.

How much is the dlc on 360?

It was around 850 mb for the Iron King

The one in the actual memory is dead. How does that work?

Would be the spiders who lived in its body and stayed dormant until the Duke awoke them.

Drangleic IS Lordran, but you have to remember that DS1 takes place around Anor Londo's castle, in a very confined place, and DS2 takes place along a whole country.

So it is completely possible Vinheim was a small part of the land called now Drangleic.

That's a good possibility but all those lands and kingdoms we heard about in DS one seem to exist pretty far away from Lordran. All those characters from Catarina and Vinheim and Astora and Carim and Thorolund and others went to Lordran in pilgrimage, they were outcasts with nothing no gain staying in their lands, in the only human cities close to Anor Londo (Undead Burg, New Londo and Oolacille) there are no survivors at all, just hollows and other creatures. This is mere speculation but I'd say being close to the first flame made things actually worse for the undead, it's more likely that all those other regions were established far away to keep humans safe from the curse.

ElFly

There's only one indicator that the memories are time travel. Getting items out of there it's not it, though. The memories are used by Vendrick and the Ancient Dragon to hide from Nashandra the final piece of the puzzle, the Giant Kinship. Nashandra has visited the Ancient Dragon and she did not get the Ashen Mist Heart.

The part that indicates time travel is that Vendrick gets weaker and weaker with every Giant Soul you get. Three of them are in memories, and it could be that once you take them, Vendrick is retroactively robbed of them. Chances are the Giant Souls are what are powering Giant Zombie Vendrick -since his own souls is elsewhere-.

That's a good possibility but all those lands and kingdoms we heard about in DS one seem to exist pretty far away from Lordran. All those characters from Catarina and Vinheim and Astora and Carim and Thorolund and others went to Lordran in pilgrimage, they were outcasts with nothing no gain staying in their lands, in the only human cities close to Anor Londo (Undead Burg, New Londo and Oolacille) there are no survivors at all, just hollows and other creatures. This is mere speculation but I'd say being close to the first flame made things actually worse for the undead, it's more likely that all those other regions were established far away to keep humans safe from the curse.

That's fair, but remember that the same pilgrimage thing keeps happening in DS2. Carhillion of the Weaksauce and his apprentice came "through the mountains", which I take to be the mountains that are east of Aldia's Keep.

Also remember that the farthest you are from Lordran is in the Assylum, which you fly to via dark crow. In DS2 you do a similar travel, but turns out the Assylum in DS2 -admittedly not necessarily the same- isn't that far away in the context of the distances travelled in DS2. So maybe even the Assylum in DS1 wasn't that far away.

So I think that it is completely possible that some -not necessarily all- of the places mentioned in DS1 were visited in DS2.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Now I gotta find the shortest route to the Door of Pharros to get the Santier's Spear. These ordinary spears are nowhere near stylish enough. I'm thinking fragrant branch of yore in Sinner's Rise and then off to the Shaded Woods.

Tseldora robe should fit him quite well yeah.
I think the Fragrant Branch in the Gutter might be faster? To reach Sinner's Rise you need to beat the Sentinels (or use a Pharros Lockstone to use the elevator shortcut I guess, but then you still need to beat No Man's Wharf and Flexile Sentry) and the Sinner, but you can reach that other branch without killing a single boss. I can understand wanting to avoid the Gutter though. xD

Jaeger

There's only one indicator that the memories are time travel. Getting items out of there it's not it, though. The memories are used by Vendrick and the Ancient Dragon to hide from Nashandra the final piece of the puzzle, the Giant Kinship. Nashandra has visited the Ancient Dragon and she did not get the Ashen Mist Heart.

The part that indicates time travel is that Vendrick gets weaker and weaker with every Giant Soul you get. Three of them are in memories, and it could be that once you take them, Vendrick is retroactively robbed of them. Chances are the Giant Souls are what are powering Giant Zombie Vendrick -since his own souls is elsewhere-.

Pow! Nice.

ugoo18

I think my game might have glitched out on me.

My inventory says i have only
11 pieces of Nadalia's soul
yet i've cleared every
Ashen Idol
. I've also retraced my steps to each of the
Ashen idol locations
in case i didn't pick up the
soul
including retracing my steps to each
Smelter wedge giving location
within the DLC.

I've collected all the
wedges
and used all of them, i have also collected all the
souls dropped
or at least there was no
dropped soul at any of the ashen idol locations
that i forgot to pick up.

These are all their locations right?

1. Just after the Throne Floor bonfire.

2. In a room full of Ashen Warriors soon after the Throne Floor bonfire.

3. In the room with an Iron Warrior, surrounded by Ashen Warriors. (Before this room there are a few Cask Runners)

4. Inside the tower where Maldron the Assassin invades.

5. Near / on the way to the Smelter Throne bonfire.

6. Behind the locked door by the Foyer bonfire.

7. In the room with an Iron Warrior and four doors, behind one of the doors. After activating the elevators, head out to the elevator room after the Foyer bonfire. Go right; you'll see a platform moving up and down and a door across from it.

8 to 11. Four enclosing the Fume Knight boss arena.

I've retraced my steps to each of those locations.

I've also defeated the
Fume knight
and collected the
soul piece
there but my inventory still isn't complete.

The lands in DS2 are still pretty far away from drangelic too, they come to drangelic as mercenaries or running away from their respective kingdoms. And taking in mind there are other continents out there and a land where everyone ran away after falling to the dark.

Well, yes the memories are from the past of the last memory of the owner, In Vendrink's he is about to get hollowed.

So every time we retrieved a Giant Soul he was getting closer to hollowing?

That's both brilliant (in terms of the lore) and terrifying.

I wonder if we would fight him again after the the third DLC and just finish the job (triggering the events that lead him to go hollow).

ElFly

I think my game might have glitched out on me.

My inventory says i have only
11 pieces of Nadalia's soul
yet i've cleared every
Ashen Idol
. I've also retraced my steps to each of the
Ashen idol locations
in case i didn't pick up the
soul
including retracing my steps to each
Smelter wedge giving location
within the DLC.

I've collected all the
wedges
and used all of them, i have also collected all the
souls dropped
or at least there was no
dropped soul at any of the ashen idol locations
that i forgot to pick up.

These are all their locations right?

1. Just after the Throne Floor bonfire.

2. In a room full of Ashen Warriors soon after the Throne Floor bonfire.

3. In the room with an Iron Warrior, surrounded by Ashen Warriors. (Before this room there are a few Cask Runners)

4. Inside the tower where Maldron the Assassin invades.

5. Near / on the way to the Smelter Throne bonfire.

6. Behind the locked door by the Foyer bonfire.

7. In the room with an Iron Warrior and four doors, behind one of the doors. After activating the elevators, head out to the elevator room after the Foyer bonfire. Go right; you'll see a platform moving up and down and a door across from it.

8 to 11. Four enclosing the Fume Knight boss arena.

I've retraced my steps to each of those locations.

I've also defeated the
Fume knight
and collected the
soul piece
there but my inventory still isn't complete.

There's a 12th one.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Would be the spiders who lived in its body and stayed dormant until the Duke awoke them.

I'm talking about the dragon that is dead in the memory, not the hollowed out corpse. How can a dead thing remember anything after being dead? Like I said earlier, I think the memories act as portals that physically transport the player to the place, rather than actually play out the memory of something. Nothing else makes sense of all the facts to me.

Well, yes the memories are from the past of the last memory of the owner, In Vendrink's he is about to get hollowed.

I think the dead Ancient Dragon's memory refutes this though (see above).

That it's a replica? Not really no other than the fact he left at the height of the iron kings reign with no mention of him ever coming back.

Maybe, but that kind reads like a sweet way to describe someone dying to me. Coupled with the fact that we canonically kill him and that we see a kind of memorial to his armour... I dunno; it just seems the obvious answer to me.

ElTopo

Banned
Going through the first DLC again is bringing back bad memories. Mobs with tons of poise and unparryable attacks? My favorite! Why not give them a good chunk of HP and make them come in large groups too! Oh you did? Excellent.

Their A.I. is very easily exploitable. You didn't notice that? They're kinda' like the Knights guarding Velstadt and Vendrick, strafe around them or roll behind them and score a free backstab. You can take out every single one of them one at a time too. So the whining is baffling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAlTOfl9F2w

So every time we retrieved a Giant Soul he was getting closer to hollowing?

That's both brilliant (in terms of the lore) and terrifying.

I wonder if we would fight him again after the the third DLC and just finish the job (triggering the events that lead him to go hollow).

Mmmm no, He was about getting hollowed since there were no more giants to feed himself to battle the curse, his great soul was enough to keep him human for a while but after feeling his humanity was coming to and end and didn find any other great soul to convince to sacrifice his life to relink the fire, he just ran away from nashandra to avoid his soul being harvested by her and take the throne.

I'm talking about the dragon that is dead in the memory, not the hollowed out corpse. How can a dead thing remember anything after being dead? Like I said earlier, I think the memories act as portals that physically transport the player to the place, rather than actually play out the memory of something. Nothing else makes sense of all the facts to me.

I agree with this explanation. It makes more sense. They are not exactly "memories", and since "the flow of time is convoluted" Vendrick and his people found a way to travel exactly to the point of time they desired.

Mistel

Banned
Maybe, but that kind reads like a sweet way to describe someone dying to me. Coupled with the fact that we canonically kill him and that we see a kind of memorial to his armour... I dunno; it just seems the obvious answer to me.
It's not his memory though that's the issue with saying that I think personally.
The Prowlers one is the one before the Sir Alonne memory right?

I've got that one as well.
Then the one you've not got is from Fume if you've got that one. That's the only place that I can think it being.

The corpse and the dead dragon are the same, Maybe someone put spider eggs there or the spiders just lived in his agonizing body and stayed there for 1000 years after Duke dig there and awoke them.

ElFly

I think the dead Ancient Dragon's memory refutes this though (see above).

No I don't think so.

The three Giant memories and the Dragon Memory fit a single pattern; you touch the remnants of a dead giant / dragon, go inside the memory, maybe have some adventures and then grab the corresponding soul from a giant corpse / dragon.

Memory of the Old Iron King may work if the OIK left enough of a memory of Alonne in Alonne's armor; inside you kill Sir Alonne and you retrieve his soul. I mentioned how could this work, but it is clearly a weird case.

Memory of the King is interesting.

For one, as I said, Vendrick's Soul isn't there. Second, Vendrick there is alone, while obviously he had Velstadt by his side since he got to the Crypt.If you go out, you will not see Velstadt in the boss area, and you are in fact kicked out of the memory.

So my theory is that Memory of the King is actually Velstadt's memories of sitting next to Vendrick before he got completely hollowed. The name "of the king" may mean the memories that Vendrick had, or memories that someone else had of Vendrick.

That doesn't explain why a dead dragon can have memories of when it was dead earlier. That makes zero sense.

The Dragon, like the giants, is not dead. He is slowly rebuilding the immortality crystal that Seath had.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The corpse and the dead dragon are the same, Maybe someone put spider eggs there or the spiders just lived in his agonizing body and stayed there for 1000 years after Duke dig there and awoke them.

That doesn't explain why a dead dragon can have memories of when it was dead earlier. That makes zero sense.

v1perz53

Their A.I. is very easily exploitable. You didn't notice that? They're kinda' like the Knights guarding Velstadt and Vendrick, strafe around them or roll behind them and score a free backstab. You can take out every single one of them one at a time too. So the whining is baffling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAlTOfl9F2w

What good is a backstab when there are 4-5 other enemies hitting me during the backstab animation? What good is a backstab when there are 3 other guys firing arrows at me as I circle around one? The reason the Syan knights are fine is that they don't have ranged options, and that they come at a max of 2 at a time, so you can bait a double attack and backstab one in the meantime. But in this DLC, besides the first lone dude, the first group is three guys, and the second group is four/five (depending if the platform is up or down). You certainly cannot get these one at a time, I have no idea what you are talking about. You cannot tell me you seriously think going for backstabs is useful against five enemies?

Anyway, it isn't a matter of being hard, it is a matter of being annoying. Souls design is best when you have to go slow when you don't know an area, but can go fast once you know what you are doing. Enemies that have infinity poise (hyperbole) and gang up on you unless you slowly snipe them with a bow are just annoying, and make the beginning of the DLC very tedious.

ugoo18

It's not his memory though that's the issue with saying that I think personally.

Then the one you've not got is from Fume if you've got that one. That's the only place that I can think it being.

Got that one as well, it's the one in the room that opens up after you defeat him on that statue/chair looking thing that's white right?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The three Giant memories and the Dragon Memory fit a single pattern; you touch the remnants of a dead giant / dragon, go inside the memory, maybe have some adventures and then grab the corresponding soul from a giant corpse / dragon.

How can the Ancient Dragon have memories of being dead?

It can be The Old Iron King's memory of Sir Alonne's last days. This is the guy who gave him his kingdom; I think the day Sir Alonne died would be significant to him, hence the memorial display of his armour.

Mistel

Banned
Got that one as well, it's the one in the room that opens up after you defeat him on that statue/chair looking thing that's white right?
Yeah that's it. Can't think of which one you've not got as that's all 12 of them accounted for based on that and your list.

NEO0MJ

Darlurkers "armor" is her skin ....that could have high resistance to curse and dark but lower your lighting defenses.

By armor I meant clothes. The wings and crossed arms won't translate well into wearable equipment.

And I see that some people are assigning gender to it, which I think is too early. I hope they provide more info on what the Darklurker in the third DLC, it's one of the games biggest mysteries.

Speaking of mysteries, do think any of the current ones will be used in the third DLC? The first dealt with the
slumbering dragon
, the second dealt with
Alva and Alonne
. Think the third will deal with
Aldia?

I remembered it being a lot more white than that. My bad.

There are actually black and white variants of that armor. Still, the design of the cloth is pretty different from what the Darklurker wears.

ElTopo

Banned
What good is a backstab when there are 4-5 other enemies hitting me during the backstab animation? What good is a backstab when there are 3 other guys firing arrows at me as I circle around one? The reason the Syan knights are fine is that they don't have ranged options, and that they come at a max of 2 at a time, so you can bait a double attack and backstab one in the meantime. But in this DLC, besides the first lone dude, the first group is three guys, and the second group is four/five (depending if the platform is up or down). You certainly cannot get these one at a time, I have no idea what you are talking about. You cannot tell me you seriously think going for backstabs is useful against five enemies?

Anyway, it isn't a matter of being hard, it is a matter of being annoying. Souls design is best when you have to go slow when you don't know an area, but can go fast once you know what you are doing. Enemies that have infinity poise (hyperbole) and gang up on you unless you slowly snipe them with a bow are just annoying, and make the beginning of the DLC very tedious.

You have invincibility when you backstab... Also you can lead one away to a pillar, block/attack/backstab and you're safe from the archers.

Another option is to use arrows or magic. If you found that to be annoying or hard then buddy let me tell you something, you're going to LOVE the 2nd DLC.

Ruuppa

Yep 0 wedges left, defeated all the bosses in the DLC.

Cleared all the Wedge giving locations as well.

Okay, the only thing I can think of is that you broke all of them, but didn't pick up the piece of Soul. You should check them all again.

There are actually black and white variants of that armor. Still, the design of the cloth is pretty different from what the Darklurker wears.

It's the hood that does it for me. The top for Darklurker has a cool feathery motif going on, and I like it.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The Dragon, like the giants, is not dead. He is slowly rebuilding the immortality crystal that Seath had.

The dragon you see in the past is dead, I think. Every boss' death is signified by the player getting their soul. Another way to put it is that the after every boss dies, their soul is "separated" from their physical form. So I think it's significant that their souls are on the floor in front of them.

Again, the same thing happens in the three memories of the giants. You recover a Soul of the Giant from a giant corpse that is lying around.

Which is what I'm saying, they are not actual memories.

ElFly

By armor I meant clothes. The wings and crossed arms won't translate well into wearable equipment.

And I see that some people are assigning gender to it, which I think is too early. I hope they provide more info on what the Darklurker in the third DLC, it's one of the games biggest mysteries.

Speaking of mysteries, do think any of the current ones will be used in the third DLC? The first dealt with the
slumbering dragon
, the second dealt with
Alva and Alonne
. Think the third will deal with
Aldia?

Would not rise my expectatives about Aldia; Ivory King? Does anybody have a hint of where the entrance to that area will be? The big candidates are after Lost Sinner or after Freya, and neither seem like areas Aldia would have relation to.

My theory about Darklurker is
remnants of the Four Kings. Think about it. Access to it is gated by the Dark Diver, while the four kings were protected by the ring of the Abyss Walker

Also DS2 conveniently forgot about the four kings, even though they were one of the souls required to fill the LordVessel.

Okay, the only thing I can think of is that you broke all of them, but didn't pick up the piece of Soul. You should check them all again.

This must be it. I was killed in the cursed tower just after destroying the idol, and went back, and the soul was lying on the floor.

Ruuppa

Would not rise my expectatives about Aldia; Ivory King? Does anybody have a hint of where the entrance to that area will be? The big candidates are after Lost Sinner or after Freya, and neither seem like areas Aldia would have relation to.

remnants of the Four Kings. Think about it. Access to it is gated by the Dark Diver, while the four kings were protected by the ring of the Abyss Walker

Also DS2 conveniently forgot about the four kings, even though they were one of the souls required to fill the LordVessel.

Ivory King, snowy trailer and pictures. What place do we have that has a snowy name?

Shrine of Winter.

It even has the teleport-a-majiggy fountain.

Mistel

Banned
It can be The Old Iron King's memory of Sir Alonne's last days. This is the guy who gave him his kingdom; I think the day Sir Alonne died would be significant to him, hence the memorial display of his armour.
The display could just be a memorial to him after he left using the same justification except swapping died for left.

v1perz53

You have invincibility when you backstab... Also you can lead one away to a pillar, block/attack/backstab and you're safe from the archers.

Another option is to use arrows or magic. If you found that to be annoying or hard then buddy let me tell you something, you're going to LOVE the 2nd DLC.

You most certainly do not have immunity for the entirety of the backstab animation in Dark Souls 2, you are vulnerable both at the beginning and the end while having no control of your character in both cases. This is well tested and documented.

Anyway, I understand you can do the things you described, but exactly what I meant is this causes all fights to be tedious and boring. Sure I can take out every archer with a bow, but what is fun about shooting twice, sidestepping to avoid their arrow, and continuing ad infinitum. Same thing with drawing an enemy back. Why is attack block attack different from attack attack where I staggered the enemy due to poise breaking? One of my favorite parts of Dark Souls 2 combat was getting good enough to know enemy swing timings to know if you had to block or could attack instead to poise break them. These DLC enemies remove that added combat mechanic, making combat a slog of sameness.

Mogwai

Dang it,
Fume Knight
down after one million attempts. Was on NG+2 so he hit like a truck. Used Velstadt's helmet and went 100% with his enraged state. Was actually easier than adjusting between the two states.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The display could just be a memorial to him after he left using the same justification except swapping died for left.

If it weren't for the wording on the armour about him EDIT: and, of course, us killing him, I'd agree with you. Compared with most of the other characters, his lore seems deliberately stunted to me.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Its bad implemented but is the last moments of the owner.

But...

fb0.jpg

ugoo18

Yeah that's it. Can't think of which one you've not got as that's all 12 of them accounted for based on that and your list.

Oh well, the exchanges for them aren't really useful to me anyway but that 11 will annoy me lol.

I thought that as well and retraced my steps to each of them to see if i hadn't picked them up but there was nothing at any of them.

ElFly

The dragon you see in the past is dead, I think. Every boss' death is signified by the player getting their soul. Another way to put it is that the after every boss dies, their soul is "separated" from their physical form. So I think it's significant that their souls are on the floor in front of them.

Which is what I'm saying, they are not actual memories.

The memories don't stop working after you get the souls, though. Vendrick's memory is always accessible and you get nothing out of it.

As I said it is possible they are time travel, but then again, it is more probable they are just memories. It's just that Vendrick and the Ancient Dragon used them to hide stuff in them, but the hiding stuff part is just incidental.

The giants/dragon memories are memories of immortal beings. The giants become trees, the dragons are slowly regenerating their crystal. It is also possible you fuck up the immortality part by taking the souls out of there. Ancient Dragon gave you the Ashen Mist Heart so you could grab the Giant Kinship, but when he did so, he didn't expect you to go take the Ancient Dragon Memory. He didn't even know the real, dead Dragon had remade its crystal. Because if Aldia and Vendrick had know they could revive a Dragon with a real Dragon soul inside, maybe they would have done that, instead of concocting one with a Giant Soul. Then again, maybe they wanted a Giant Soul Dragon so they could control it.

Ivory King, snowy trailer and pictures. What place do we have that has a snowy name?

Shrine of Winter.

It even has the teleport-a-majiggy fountain.

Wonder if you are right. Would make a lot of sense.

So it's not a real memory because they are dead already.

Again, the giants are not dead. They become trees. The Dragon is not dead, it is rebuilding Seath's crystal.

NEO0MJ

He doesn't have to be the Ivory King for it to work, there could be some more info about him in the new place or some leftover experiments. I mean, who would have expected
Alva
to show up in the Iron King's place?

It does seem to have a slight resemblance to the four kings.
As for why the Four Kings weren't mentioned, they didn't have a unique soul. Instead they used the fragment of the Lord Vessel Gwyn gave to them for safekeeping.

ElFly

He doesn't have to be the Ivory King for it to work, there could be some more info about him in the new place or some leftover experiments. I mean, who would have expected
Alva
to show up in the Iron King's place?

It does seem to have a slight resemblance to the four kings.
As for why the Four Kings weren't mentioned, they didn't have a unique soul. Instead they used the fragment of the Lord Vessel Gwyn gave to them for safekeeping.

IIRC thesame happens with Seath Soul. He and the Four Kings both drop a Bequeathed Lord Soul Shard.

Top Bottom