• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Got back into this game over the weekend(about halfway through my first run), have a few questions.

-I just completed the Iron Keep and gave the Dull Ember to the smith, but am really unsure what element to imbue on my falchion+10 (doing a dex build). Since there really is no way to anticipate what affinities future enemies have and resources are completely sparse, I hate thinking that I will end up never bothering with adding any affinity at all. :( Any tips or recommendations?

-Snagged both DLC episodes and have access to both, but have not yet come close to finishing the game(Have 3 of the Prime Fire's lit). Wait to play them until I do? Or just jump in freely?

-Is there something I am missing on how to get the various treasure on the lava in Iron Keep? I equip as much Fire Res stuff as possible, but still impossible. Maybe some spell?

Got back into this game over the weekend(about halfway through my first run), have a few questions.

-I just completed the Iron Keep and gave the Dull Ember to the smith, but am really unsure what element to imbue on my falchion+10 (doing a dex build). Since there really is no way to anticipate what affinities future enemies have and resources are completely sparse, I hate thinking that I will end up never bothering with adding any affinity at all. :( Any tips or recommendations?

-Snagged both DLC episodes and have access to both, but have not yet come close to finishing the game(Have 3 of the Prime Fire's lit). Wait to play them until I do? Or just jump in freely?

-Is there something I am missing on how to get the various treasure on the lava in Iron Keep? I equip as much Fire Res stuff as possible, but still impossible. Maybe some spell?

First one I'm not too sure about, however, Stormtrooper is an expert in that kind of thing, so hopefully they can answer that for you.

Up to you really, if you feel comfortable jumping into it, you can go ahead and do it. There's not much reason not to jump into it, other than being underleveled I guess, but if you can dodge effectively enough it shouldn't be a problem.

To get those items get as much fire resist armour as possible, put on flash sweat, roll in those jugs that have the Minotaurs face on it (it has water that makes you take significantly less fire damage) and equip the fire resist ring+2, I'm not sure if the small orange burr stacks with flash sweat, but you can try just to make sure. Also, putting on ring of life protection could help if you have a lot of souls, as you may not survive the trip back.

ElTopo

Banned
Beat DLC 1 again. On retrospect I'm not sure if I like the Nashandra 2.0 fight or not. I feel like Velstadt was a late addition and was thrown in during testing and the fear that general response would be "They just re-skinned the final boss and she's still too easy. 2/10 IGN."It makes the fight interesting and I'm not saying it's the worst boss fight or anything. I've fought her at least 30-50 times altogether and I've never once seen her summon pigs.

Finally figured out the easy way to kill Kalameet 2.0. At least I think this is easy. Last time I beat him I did it in a more traditional way (I.E. get behind him and stay behind him) but I think this method is the best:

After he flies away and then lands, stay away from him and bait him to do either of his flame attacks. You want to stay at a certain distance where you can still run in on him if need be. He does 3 different ranged attacks from what I've seen: the left to right fire attack (in which you can whale on him and not worry about a quick claw attack or something equally random). The straight forward fire attack where he spews fire in a straight line (you can at least get 1 hit on him, but he might do the claw attack or something random). And the head swing and the followup (where he winds up and tries to hit you with his face/neck with a tracking stomp followup) in which you can roll behind him and score a few hits but beware of a random claw attack or him jumping or whatever.

Doing that, Just getting him to do those 3 attacks seems to be the best possible strategy.

BeeDog

Completely lost my DkSII mojo since I can't for the life of me beat Sir Alonne. I always screw up and end on his blade when he does the drain attack, or I get caught by his jumping downwards attack.

Is he extra vulnerable to any specific resin?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The game is pretty clear the giants become trees when they die. The one weird tree that does not have memories associated just says "A giant rests in piece", and after an invasion it may give you "a seed of a tree of giants". Feel that's p clear. The description of this seed is

"When the giants fell, they grew into great trees.
Death is not the end, for anything that has ever
once lived remains a part of a great cycle of
regeneration."

So dead or not, separated from the soul or not, the trees are still the giants, and it is not crazy that they still have memories of their past life as a giant.

When you defeat Freya, the dragon is dropping a liquid but there's nothing but a pool of it. When you come back with the Ashen Mist, a crystal has formed under the dragon.

Besides, the whole crux of the series is people dying and coming back as soulless zombies, who try to gather other people's souls to regain sanity. Hell, Vendrick
is still kicking around and he left his soul voluntarily.

The game shows that memories can be stored in a corpse, as long as the brain or whatever medium is relatively intact, or be stored in objects with profound meaning, like with Vendrick's and Alonne's armor.

Sorry, there seems to be some confusion here. I'm not suggested that the Giants as Trees can't have lingering memories, I'm saying that their memories are of a time when they were already dead (the Giant corpse in the past memory, the Ancient Dragon corpse in the past memory). It's not how the Giant Tree can be remembering stuff now that bothers me, just how it can have a memories from a time when it was dead.

"Hey, remember when we were dead?"

"No. I was dead at the time."

That's why (amongst other reasons I've already mentioned) that I think that we are only using their powerful residual memories as portals and not actually reliving their memories, because you can't have a memory of a time when you were dead, you see? Memories lingering from before you were dead (like Vendrik or Sir Alonne), sure, but not from after.

Completely lost my DkSII mojo since I can't for the life of me beat Sir Alonne. I always screw up and end on his blade when he does the drain attack, or I get caught by his jumping downwards attack.

Strike attacks can still inflict great damage to him, outside that lightning element can hurt him more than other elements

Mistel

Banned

It would be best left uninfused if you're pure DEX other than poison which a falchion is fast enough for.

If you were doing DEX/FTH, DEX/INT/FTH or DEX/INT then the infusions allow you to make better use of your stats. At the cost of split damage.

PranooY

ElTopo

Banned
I felt Kalameet was tougher to fight than
Sinh
Sinh
is super easy for melee characters.

Kalameet was the only boss I skipped in DS1 so I can't really say but I did watch Slowbeef's LP of DS and saw his fight with Kalameet and from what I can tell the patterns are pretty much the same. Sinh seems more random than Kalameet.

Unless of course Sinh has a more exploitable pattern -such as the one I just posted above- then Kalameet.

BeeDog

Strike attacks can still inflict great damage to him, outside that lightning element can hurt him more than other elements

Thanks for the suggestion! Though I just realized I've never used a Strike weapon during my runs at all.. Any good suggestions on Strike-based weapons?

Mistel

Banned
Thanks for the suggestion! Though I just realized I've never used a Strike weapon during my runs at all.. Any good suggestions on Strike-based weapons?
Mace, gargoyle bident, kings ultra greatsword, archdrake mace, malformed skull, and a dragon tooth. To name a few of them.

PranooY

That is very impressive. Isn't that the guy who beat dual persuers bare fists? I love the Easter egg death animation seppuku. I will probably never trigger it myself, but it is cool that From adds things like that.
He also beat
Fume Knight
, the same way.

2AdEPT

Another poster basically explained it for you but if you wish you can see how I did it here.

I'm trying to edit the Darkdrift's blade texture so it's more visible but it seems to always have transparency on it no matter what you change the texture to.

Ce-Lin

any news regarding the guy killing McDuff through hacks ? any way to avoid it without resorting to ALT+F4 ? what was his name again ?

Haunted

This. The run to the boss and the boss itself is challenging. Any shortcuts to smelter?
Did you see the switch that opens up a couple of barred gates with enemies inside at the start of the Iron Passage?

That's your shortcut.

TnK

No Alonne is in a separate area after smelter is a dead end.
Where is alonne then? I beat smelter blue.
Did you see the switch that opens up a couple of barred gates with enemies inside at the start of the Iron Passage?

That's your shortcut.

Took the other path, and it isn't too hard once you know what to do. Are there good items when opening the gates?

Also, I take back on what I said about the smelter demon. He is actually much easier compared to Fume Knight. At least dark weapon works on him, and with both hands+black crypt sword I could do 870 something damage to the boss.

Ruuppa

any news regarding the guy killing McDuff through hacks ? any way to avoid it without resorting to ALT+F4 ? what was his name again ?

Most NPCs spawn a gravestone after a certain time after they're killed, McDuff being one of them. If it happens to you, just wait it out and you can resurrect him. Unless the hacks break him completely.

Where is alonne then? I beat smelter blue.

Took the other path, and it isn't too hard once you know what to do. Are there good items when opening the gates?

Also, I take back on what I said about the smelter demon. He is actually much easier compared to Fume Knight. At least dark weapon works on him, and with both hands+black crypt sword I could do 870 something damage to the boss.

Last bonfire of the first area of the DLC. There's a big set of armor that you can interact with if you have killed Fume and are in possession of the Ashen Mist Heart.

There are no good items in the shortcut, some spices IIRC. You can kill the Fume Sorcerers and the mages for loot, but that's about it.

TnK

Last bonfire of the first area of the DLC. There's a big set of armor that you can interact with if you have killed Fume and are in possession of the Ashen Mist Heart.

There are no good items in the shortcut, some spices IIRC. You can kill the Fume Sorcerers and the mages for loot, but that's about it.
I actually did not reach the last bonefire in the DLC and have no idea on where it is. Last bonefire I reached was Fume Knight's bonefire.

Ruuppa

I actually did not reach the last bonefire in the DLC and have no idea on where it is. Last bonefire I reached was Fume Knight's bonefire.

Take the elevator up from the 3rd bonfire, circle around the chamber and take the elevator up that's in a kind of caged alcove. Ride that up, and open the locked door you find there and you're on the path to the last bonfire.

TnK

Take the elevator up from the 3rd bonfire, circle around the chamber and take the elevator up that's in a kind of caged alcove. Ride that up, and open the locked door you find there and you're on the path to the last bonfire.

Found it, thanks. Somehow I missed this, and went to all the other doors.

I hopped back into the BoB arena to see how things were going and I had two people do ~1100 damage to me with single regular hits from their rapiers.

I think I'll just go back to the bridge for PVP...

onken

OK so I'm not really sure what to do with my char at this point. I'm about 1/3 way of the way through NG+ and at SL192. I've been doing a strength build and my stats are 28/40/33/4/70/20/26/12/12. My main weapon is a fire black knight greatsword, but for backup I use a lightning mastodon and I break out a stock greatsword when I want to have some fun (all are maxed out).

I think I've hit some sort of cap because I put 5 levels into STR and my main weapon damage went up 1 point lol. I'm just trying to do as much damage as possible - what should I put my points in? I still have about 5 soul vessels so re-rolling not an issue.

OK so I'm not really sure what to do with my char at this point. I'm about 1/3 way of the way through NG+ and at SL192. I've been doing a strength build and my stats are 28/40/33/4/70/20/26/12/12. My main weapon is a fire black knight greatsword, but for backup I use a lightning mastodon and I break out a stock greatsword when I want to have some fun (all are maxed out).

I think I've hit some sort of cap because I put 5 levels into STR and my main weapon damage went up 1 point lol. I'm just trying to do as much damage as possible - what should I put my points in? I still have about 5 soul vessels so re-rolling not an issue.

If you like fire infusion, need to get your fire bonus up by increasing int and fth or just fth for lightning bonus too. No need to have str that high. Depending on other weapons you like to use, I would drop str to 40 or 50. Increase atn and some int/fth and use some utility spells.

Ruuppa

I say this to all who're asking about melee builds: Bump up your Vigor to 40/50! You're gonna get hit anyway, so why not survive the hit?

With your main being a Fire BKG, you might want to put points into Int/Fai to improve your Fire bonus, since the softcap for Str is 40/50.

Mistel

Banned

You've hit the cap a while ago for STR you can use a smelter hammer one handed now if you raise it to 99 you could power stance a pair. To maximize your damage with the weapons you've got un infusuing them will mean that those without elements naturally will not have split damage.

Raise your VIG, END, and VIT and get a strike weapon like the kings ultra greatsword for example that will make best use of your stats if you want to stay pure melee.

Braag

Goddamn I hate these new red enemies in NG+, they're in such annoying places too. And I keep getting invaded ALL the time.

onken

OK rerolled to 35/40/34/16/42/20/22/12/24

Got a higher damage output now and I was able to bust out some miracles I had picked up in my last playthrough. Neat!

Mistel

Banned
OK rerolled to 35/40/34/16/42/20/22/12/24

Got a higher damage output now and I was able to bust out some miracles I had picked up in my last playthrough. Neat!
You still will get more damage output if you raise both your FTH/INT for the weapons that have things like fire and lightning either naturally or infused on as you've get a bigger scaling bonus. Therefore gaining more damage from them.
Goddamn I hate these new red enemies in NG+, they're in such annoying places too. And I keep getting invaded ALL the time.
Invasions increase a fair bit as red eye orbs are available in infinite numbers once in NG+ so its more common to be invaded unlike in the first playthrough.

TnK

30/30 for INT and FTH is the soft cap correct? As of now, my stats are:
VGR 39
END 42
VIT 36
ATN 10 (lol)
DEX 16
STR 48
ADP 20
INT 30
FTH 30

Do I need to level up anything else here?

chunk3rvd

What's the best use of Soul of Nashandra on my HEX/DEX character? I currently have 25 DEX, 30 FAI and 30 INT. I plan on taking DEX to 40 through NG+ if that makes a difference. Is the chime of want any good or should I just go with a dark infused bow of want w/dark arrows?

v1perz53

What's the best use of Soul of Nashandra on my HEX/DEX character? I currently have 25 DEX, 30 FAI and 30 INT. I plan on taking DEX to 40 through NG+ if that makes a difference. Is the chime of want any good or should I just go with a dark infused bow of want w/dark arrows?

Bow of Want has lightning damage by default, so a Dark Infused bow would suffer the same problem as other triple damage type weapons (it would be pierce i think, lightning and dark) in that damage would have to go through three defenses. That said, because a bow can use dark arrows, that would mitigate a lot of the problem, so it might still be very strong.

I use lightning Bow of Want on my 50 faith 40 dex character, and it is a beast. Lightning arrows can hit for 500+ damage and I get 4 relatively quick shots off with 25 end and 3rd dragon ring amount of stamina. No experience with Chime of Want though to compare.

Don't bother with chime of want unless you are a hex build. Bow of Want is a decent bow when upgraded and probably the only Soul item really worth getting.

Ruuppa

The bow is the best Nashandra's Soul offers. The Chime offers the best Dark Damage, but loses out in terms of casting speed when compared to Caitha's Chime. The scythe is, like all scythes, more for coolness than usability.

Mistel

Banned
30/30 for INT and FTH is the soft cap correct? As of now, my stats are:
VGR 39
END 42
VIT 36
ATN 10 (lol)
DEX 16
STR 48
ADP 20
INT 30
FTH 30

Do I need to level up anything else here?
40/40 is the soft cap for INT FTH. 50/50 if you want magic and lightning bonuses taken into account. You could level VGR to the 50 hard cap along with VIT to the final hard cap of 70 if you're in the mood. 49 is the next soft cap for VIT. ADP has 15 or so till the agility hard cap.

Calzone

Neo Member

Like other people said, get yourself a strike weapon. I recommend going basic Mace up to +10, since it's quick and it hits hard.

If you're not too proud for it, summon a bro AND one of the NPC summons. Getting him to swap his attention between you, the NPC, and your bro gives both humans a good gap to recoup while he's wailing on the NPC.

As far as I can tell, his drain attack is the only one that can go through shields. Something to keep in mind if you aren't too good at rolling. Watch out for the drain attack and roll to the side to avoid it. Otherwise you can just block most of his stuff.

Holy shit the Smelter Redux and the run up to him suuuuuuuuck.

God yeah, Smelter 2 Electric Boogaloo is the most disappointing part of the DLC. I've found it's easier to just get naked and run through the fireball hallways than to bother with the "proper" way of doing things. Since his stage 3 sword goes through shields you have pretty much no choice but to git gud at rolling.

The chime is good for cast all hexes and miracles yet its casts speed is not worth it, maybe for hibrids builds.

Like everyone says the bow is the good choice, the scythe is more for fashion souls

TnK

40/40 is the soft cap for INT FTH. 50/50 if you want magic and lightning bonuses taken into account. You could level VGR to the 50 hard cap along with VIT to the final hard cap of 70 if you're in the mood. 49 is the next soft cap for VIT. ADP has 15 or so till the agility hard cap.

So wait, I can make the black cryptsword EVEN STRONGER? Sweeeeeeet. That weapon is really OP, lol.

Also, just beat Sir Alonne. Was the best boss in the DLC, second comes second form Fume Knight, and third is Smelter blue. Actually, Fume Knight may be the hardest souls boss I fought against.

Sir Alonne was not as hard as Fume Knight, but the battle itself was better.

Some people can be so dense. Just did a battle with Fume Knight and the host had all the Ashen Idols taken care of thankfully, but the other summon put down Warmth in the corner, which is fine, but the host then thinks it's a good idea to try and crowd Fume in the corner and let him heal. Really!?!? He didn't get a clue that we were both backed off and not engaging? I had to go somewhere else afterwards because he kept summoning me just to get rekt.

Top Bottom