• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Hey guys, I have a question. Do you think I should get Dark Souls II this late into its life? I initially wanted it at release but for some reason I held off from getting it. Then the initial backlash against the lighting downgrades happened and the "failure" to live up to Dark Souls. So I was scared off for months. It's $40 bucks on PSN and with BloodBorne relatively close to release, I want to play this. So will I get wrecked online and have to git gud?

NEO0MJ

IIRC thesame happens with Seath Soul. He and the Four Kings both drop a Bequeathed Lord Soul Shard.

Yeah, Gwyn split his part of the Lord Soul among those two. Though Seath was already a being with a powerful soul so that explains why its shows up again.

Hey guys, I have a question. Do you think I should get Dark Souls II this late into its life? I initially wanted it at release but for some reason I held off from getting it. Then the initial backlash against the lighting downgrades happened and the "failure" to live up to Dark Souls. So I was scared off for months. It's $40 bucks on PSN and with BloodBorne relatively close to release, I want to play this. So will I get wrecked online and have to git gud?

I think the game is well worth playing, and most blew its flaws out f proportion. I'd recommend boosting adaptability from the start, as it's related to agility and improves your rolling and item using speed.

As for online, I don't know. I think most people who are good are probably in NG+ and beyond, though a few do restart.
Also, how good is your PC? Might be better than playing on PS3. The game isn't really that demanding, I think.

I think the game is well worth playing, and most blew its flaws out f proportion. I'd recommend boosting adaptability from the start, as it's related to agility and improves your rolling and item using speed.

As for online, I don't know. I think most people who are good are probably in NG+ and beyond, though a few do restart.
Also, how good is your PC? Might be better than playing on PS3. The game isn't really that demanding, I think.

Thanks, I figured that. I should've added that I played Dark Souls 1 and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I am familiar with the series. So in addition with adaptability, can I boost Strength and dexterity for a good build in PvE? You can recommend some builds if you want.

My PC is horrendous. I have attempted to play many games on it but I just can't run them properly. I use a computer purchased from Walmart at a sale. It's more for home use than gaming. I actually want a new one but I am a freshman at college so I don't have funds currently.

ElFly

It is a good moment to get it, as the dlc brought some people back online and you will be able to catch up to the end game by the time the third dlc releases, and by that point you can decide whether to buy the dlc too.

Mistel

Banned
Thanks, I figured that. I should've added that I played Dark Souls 1 and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I am familiar with the series. So in addition with adaptability, can I boost Strength and dexterity for a good build in PvE? You can recommend some builds if you want.
You can STR is best for PvE this time around. If you're not going DEX it's best to get that a minimum requirements or power stance requirements and leave it.

Ruuppa

PC is definitely the way to go, if you can endure some weirdness due to FPS calculations. There are some definite flaws in the game, but it's still a really good purchase.

Like NEO0MJ said, boost Adaptability! Almost all the starting classes start with a roll that is slightly worse than DkS1's medium roll, making the hitboxes of enemy attacks seem humongous (and some are), but after you raise Adaptability enough, you'll be able to sail smoothly through most attacks.

Getting gud is just about practice. You will get wrecked quite a many times, but every time that happens, you'll just do better next time. Trial and error, man, that's the way to go.

My PC is horrendous. I have attempted to play many games on it but I just can't run them properly. I use a computer purchased from Walmart at a sale. It's more for home use than gaming. I actually want a new year but I am a freshman at college so I don't have funds currently.

Straight Swords are one of the more powerful weapons in the game, which makes a straight-up Quality build mixing Str and Dex extremely viable. You also get access to them really fast, so you can get used to the movesets.

Katanas and Greatswords mostly use Str/Dex as well, so those benefit from a Quality build as well.

NEO0MJ

You can recommend some builds if you want.

My PC is horrendous.

If you can't buy the PC version than the PS3 one is good enough. As for builds like Stormtrooper said build strength seem to be the best, just raise dexterity high enough to wield whatever weapon you like and a bow, though not all dex weapons are useless.
And it might be best to choose deprived for class, as there's now an item that lets you respec your character in case you wanted to change your build in the future.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The memories don't stop working after you get the souls, though. Vendrick's memory is always accessible and you get nothing out of it.

The significance I was referring to is them being dead.

As I said it is possible they are time travel, but then again, it is more probable they are just memories.

It's just that Vendrick and the Ancient Dragon used them to hide stuff in them, but the hiding stuff part is just incidental.

I don't see why, especially given the series already establishes time travel as a "thing" in AotA.

The player is shown physically entering "memories" and interacting with them on various levels. In them, we retrieve objects from the memories of creatures that are already dead and bring them back to our time. We use up stuff in there, too, and can die in there.

The fact that most of the creatures are remembering a time when they were clearly dead should preclude them from being able to have memories of that time (cos they were dead) and of being immortal (cos they were dead).

Again, the giants are not dead. They become trees. The Dragon is not dead, it is rebuilding Seath's crystal.

Is there anything to support that? Otherwise, I think its fair to say that if they're souls are separate from their body, they're dead.

PC is definitely the way to go, if you can endure some weirdness due to FPS calculations. There are some definite flaws in the game, but it's still a really good purchase.

Like NEO0MJ said, boost Adaptability! Almost all the starting classes start with a roll that is slightly worse than DkS1's medium roll, making the hitboxes of enemy attacks seem humongous (and some are), but after you raise Adaptability enough, you'll be able to sail smoothly through most attacks.

Getting gud is just about practice. You will get wrecked quite a many times, but every time that happens, you'll just do better next time. Trial and error, man, that's the way to go.

Straight Swords are one of the more powerful weapons in the game, which makes a straight-up Quality build mixing Str and Dex extremely viable. You also get access to them really fast, so you can get used to the movesets.

Katanas and Greatswords mostly use Str/Dex as well, so those benefit from a Quality build as well.

Yeah, like I said in my earlier post, my PC sucks so I can't play on that. I plan on rectifying that in the future though. So I definitely will be getting this game, mostly likely tonight. I also know about the difficulties. Actually didn't find DS1 that difficult aside from learning the basics.

Using straight/Greatsword swords sounds amazing since that was my build in DS1. As well as katanas. So that will be my first build. However, I got owned many times online in DS1 with that build against magic builds. So will I need a new build for PvP?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What bothers me about the names of Jeigh, Orro and Vammar is that they exist in a vacuum. We know nothing else about these figures. Are they the dudes who killed these giants we see and access, or are they the Giants?

Probably the latter. Urgh. This game needs a loreguide.

I just had a thought. What if "Memory of X" doesn't signify whose memory it is, but rather who the memory is about? The lore says the giants hold a grudge even in death. The memories of the dead giants might be their memory of their particular killer?

In the same way, Memory of The King might be Velstadt's memory of Vendrick. Going by that principle, Memory of the Old Iron King might be Sir Alonne's memory of the OIK. I dunno.

Ruuppa

Yeah, like I said in my earlier post, my PC sucks so I can't play on that. I plan on rectifying that in the future though. So I definitely will be getting this game, mostly likely tonight. I also know about the difficulties. Actually didn't find DS1 that difficult aside from learning the basics.

Using straight/Greatsword swords sounds amazing since that was my build in DS1. As well as katanas. So that will be my first build. However, I got owned many times online in DS1 with that build against magic builds. So will I need a new build for PvP?

You can roll through most if not all spells in the game, some are extremely easy while some require practice. You also have shields that can be used to parry all projectile spells, and they are quite easy to use as well, so a sword & board is very viable against mages.

Latency can still screw you over, of course. From isn't great with their netcode.

I just had a thought. What if "Memory of X" doesn't signify whose memory it is, but rather who the memory is about? The lore says the giants hold a grudge even in death. The memories of the dead giants might be their memory of their particular killer?

In the same way, Memory of The King might be Velstadt's memory of Vendrick. Going by that principle, Memory of the Old Iron King might be Sir Alonne's memory of the OIK. I dunno.

I think someone went on with that theory a bit earlier in the thread, it's 1am now and I CBA to read back, but it's there.

It's a good theory, but the names of the memories are inconsistent. Worst offender being The Memory of the Iron King, which doesn't jive with the theory at all.

Edit:
Unless it's like with Vendrick, and the location of his soul. "Each King has his rightful throne. And when he sits upon it, he sees what he chooses to see.", so maybe the throne you find after Alonso houses the true soul and memories of the Iron King, just like the wooden throne in Amana housed Vendrick's? Awgh. My head hurts, time to sleep on it.

neoism

its the best in the series.....

I don't see why, especially given the series already establishes time travel as a "thing" in AotA.

The player is shown physically entering "memories" and interacting with them on various levels. In them, we retrieve objects from the memories of creatures that are already dead and bring them back to our time. We use up stuff in there, too, and can die in there.

The fact that most of the creatures are remembering a time when they were clearly dead should preclude them from being able to have memories of that time (cos they were dead) and of being immortal (cos they were dead).

Let's not forget that when we find Drummond's corpse we find his armor set with the exception of his helmet that's nowhere to be found. Why is that?, because we retrieved it from the "memories" a long time ago, so it's impossible to find it in the present. If we are entering just a mere memory, then we could've found his helmet together with the rest of his armor. There's also a description that says that a mysterious warrior (the chosen undead) appeared and defeated the King of the Giants a long time ago.

We experienced time travel, guys.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The soul was still in its body, it fells of his mouth after you killed the spiders

Did it? I don't remember seeing that.

Let's not forget that when we find Drummond's corpse we find his armor set with the exception of his helmet that's nowhere to be found. Why is that?, because we retrieved it from the "memories" a long time ago, so it's impossible to find it in the present. If we are entering just a mere memory, then we could've found his helmet together with the rest of his armor. There's also a description that says that a mysterious warrior (the chosen undead) appeared and defeated the King of the Giants a long time ago.

Good shout that man! What's the source of that last bit?

tumblr_ln85qgWyTI1qinu3g.gif

You can roll through most if not all spells in the game, some are extremely easy while some require practice. You also have shields that can be used to parry all projectile spells, and they are quite easy to use as well, so a sword & board is very viable against mages.

Latency can still screw you over, of course. From isn't great with their netcode.
Yes, the deaths were often tied to rubberbanding or attacks I thought I dodged rolled. Doesn't DS II have better netcode? My connection may play a role in that as well :p

TnK

He's resistant to dark, fire, lightning and magic so pure melee would be a better choice.

You just roll through it.

Yes. ;_; My company of champions toon can't beat him whatsoever. It doesn't help that he's a faith build, which got massively nerfed. Pre-nerfs I might have done it...

You must roll through it, towards the left, but the timing is fairly precise, so it sucks. One small mistimed roll and you're fucked. :(

And fume knight is down, hooray =D. Once you time the roll right, it is hard to get hit wiutht he giant fire sword attack. Thanks a lot for the help you guys. Funny thing is, I beat him with my dark build :lol
With dark weapon, I did 617 damage, and without, I did something about 576. Not the best, but it did the job. Greatsword+10 with all the added fluff only did 517.

This boss was immensely fun (unlike smelter demon which is also similar to it), and especially in second form. I actually found his second form to be easier than the first. It gives you more time to attack.

Other than blue smelter demon, are there any other bosses in the DLC? That area is some serious bullshit lol. Any tips on the best route to simply run to the boss and skip all the other enemies?

Mistel

Banned
Oh really? Nice one.
As far as lore goes Lord squished Drummond you "killed" it then it was captured imprisoned at the bottom of the fort. That's why it's a bit miffed when you turn up and tries to bludgeon you to death it's its arm.
Other than blue smelter demon, are there any other bosses in the DLC? That area is some serious bullshit lol. Any tips on the best route to simply run to the boss and skip all the other enemies?
Sir Alonne is the last boss left for you.

ElFly

Is there anything to support that? Otherwise, I think its fair to say that if they're souls are separate from their body, they're dead.

The game is pretty clear the giants become trees when they die. The one weird tree that does not have memories associated just says "A giant rests in piece", and after an invasion it may give you "a seed of a tree of giants". Feel that's p clear. The description of this seed is

"When the giants fell, they grew into great trees.
Death is not the end, for anything that has ever
once lived remains a part of a great cycle of
regeneration."

So dead or not, separated from the soul or not, the trees are still the giants, and it is not crazy that they still have memories of their past life as a giant.

When you defeat Freya, the dragon is dropping a liquid but there's nothing but a pool of it. When you come back with the Ashen Mist, a crystal has formed under the dragon.

Besides, the whole crux of the series is people dying and coming back as soulless zombies, who try to gather other people's souls to regain sanity. Hell, Vendrick
is still kicking around and he left his soul voluntarily.

The game shows that memories can be stored in a corpse, as long as the brain or whatever medium is relatively intact, or be stored in objects with profound meaning, like with Vendrick's and Alonne's armor.

Omg I love power-stancing the Smelter Hammer. I do nearly 1,300 dmg on the headless Smelter Hammer wielding dudes on NG+. Only problem is, it uses around 80% of my stamina ;~;.

Omg I love power-stancing the Smelter Hammer. I do nearly 1,300 dmg on the headless Smelter Hammer wielding dudes on NG+. Only problem is, it uses around 80% of my stamina ;~;.

That should wreck everything. Put on the stone ring and anything that doesn't die should stagger and you hit again so stamina shouldn't matter as much.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Gotta love this. I decided to use Denial, but it wasn't of any help, I'd crack it and then still die later. Still I persisted.
Fume Knight
had to go down at the Champion's hands, dammit!

But when I finally won... Denial didn't even crack. xD Let's assume it helped me by making me feel less panicky if at low health, and therefore less prone to mistakes? I dunno.

Only
Ser Alonne
left now. I went cowardly and poison/toxified
Smelter 2.0
because I was doing bad garbage damage and his hitboxes are annoying and well I didn't feel like meleeing him again. I still almost died, had a sliver left but the toxic got him min-lunge haha.

Can
Sir Alonne
be poisoned? >_> He's probably too fast to stay still long enough inside the mist, but I wonder. I tried on
Fume
, but no luck.

I now see why everyone to ever play the second DLC
HATES THE FOOKING BLUE SMELTER DEMON! He in himself isn't to difficult(I got him down a quarter pretty quickly, he might get harder unno. But the goddamn path to him? Come on From...
Fuck Dark Souls and their invisible wall bullshit. I was trying to get through the gate that shoots fireballs at you, and I try rolling in and apparently there was an invisible wall that existed between my roll and like 3 inches above me.

Time paradox, you are supposed to get there representing "the hero" who got Drummonds helmet in that time still is unclear if you are in fact the Hero since Yugo dont recognize you inside the memory and the canciller dont recognized you but remembers someone killed the giant king and think you are that hero but quickly snaps out and dont recognized you in the present time.

Holy shit the Smelter Redux and the run up to him suuuuuuuuck.

I now see why everyone to ever play the second DLC
HATES THE FOOKING BLUE SMELTER DEMON! He in himself isn't to difficult(I got him down a quarter pretty quickly, he might get harder unno. But the goddamn path to him? Come on From...
Fuck Dark Souls and their invisible wall bullshit. I was trying to get through the gate that shoots fireballs at you, and I try rolling in and apparently there was an invisible wall that existed between my roll and like 3 inches above me.

I just simple exhausted the enemies spawns way better than waste my efigies and get empty spell before the boss

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
A bow works wonders for that area. Even a crossbow with manual aiming isn't as good, but poison arrows against the mages makes a huge difference. Too bad the archers can't be poisoned, but sometimes they come down and can be meleed, at least.

ElTopo

Banned
Re-playing the 1st DLC. Managed to one-shot the Trio this time. Feels good man.

Couldn't one-shot Nashandra 2.0. I took her down to about 80% and she immediately summoned Velstadt, tried to take him out and ate several dark magic shots from her.

Only complaint I have about the 1st DLC is that really pointless bonfire near those dinosaur looking things.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
After hearing good things about both DLC's i decided to buy the Season pass on Steam and give it a go.

Sunken King so far is great, level design is really good but the monochromatic visual of the area is a bummer.

Re-playing the 1st DLC. Managed to one-shot the Trio this time. Feels good man.

Couldn't one-shot Nashandra 2.0. I took her down to about 80% and she immediately summoned Velstadt, tried to take him out and ate several dark magic shots from her.

Only complaint I have about the 1st DLC is that really pointless bonfire near those dinosaur looking things.

It's not pointless.
They have good chance to drop Petrified Dragon Bones(I got 5 the first time I killed em all), the bonfire is there so you can essentially farm them, I suppose. I don't think there's a boss tied to it, so you can just keeping using BA and farm the Petrified Dragon Bones.

ElTopo

Banned
It's not pointless.
They have good chance to drop Petrified Dragon Bones(I got 5 the first time I killed em all), the bonfire is there so you can essentially farm them, I suppose. I don't think there's a boss tied to it, so you can just keeping using BA and farm the Petrified Dragon Bones.

That's still pretty lame. And first time going through that area you're just thinking "Please let there be a bonfire soon!"
Unless you found the secret one.
And it doesn't lead to anywhere so it's pretty pointless.

Eusis

I view it as something akin to Bioshock 2; it's a highly iterative sequel from the "B-Team", but it's building off of a fantastic base (or at least if you loved Bioshock 1 gameplay-wise it did) and while it has flaws they're not actively game ruining. It even makes some arguable improvements along the way.

Hopefully that doesn't mean Bloodborne will be the Bioshock Infinite of the franchise, but the fact it was announced less than a year before release (even before delays Bioshock Infinite was slated for AT LEAST a year after announcement, announced in late 2010 for release in 2012) and the fact it already has a firm release date probably means it IS basically the exact opposite.

Time paradox, you are supposed to get there representing "the hero" who got Drummonds helmet in that time still is unclear if you are in fact the Hero since Yugo dont recognize you inside the memory and the canciller dont recognized you but remembers someone killed the giant king and think you are that hero but quickly snaps out and dont recognized you in the present time.

You mean Benhart of Jugo? He actually calls you "Old friend" while in the Memory of Orro. And as far as we know, Chancellor Welager wasn't even there (which makes sense, he's a chancellor not a soldier).

Is it the "shortcut". I hate that route, I only have about 25% success getting through it. Much better odds just blowing past all the mobs.

If you kill all the enemies in the gates, it becomes really easy. You just gotta roll a couple times to dodge. I find you have to kill way less enemies using it.

BTW guys, can someone tell me what poise in Dark Souls 2 is for? I know it had a use in DS1, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it does in DS2.

If you kill all the enemies in the gates, it becomes really easy. You just gotta roll a couple times to dodge. I find you have to kill way less enemies using it.

BTW guys, can someone tell me what poise in Dark Souls 2 is for? I know it had a use in DS1, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it does in DS2.

Did you kill them to extinction or have a way to get them before opening?

On another note, had a blast Sunbroing Fume Knight today. A lot more success and I have my strat down pretty well. Less than 50% equip load and just dodge rolling is the only way to go, tanking won't cut it. Feel like I have the fight mostly mastered since I don't take much damage anymore. Quite the reversal of opinion after a couple days.

You mean Benhart of Jugo? He actually calls you "Old friend" while in the Memory of Orro. And as far as we know, Chancellor Welager wasn't even there (which makes sense, he's a chancellor not a soldier).

Yes but he doesnt recognized you first or maybe he was using the ashen mist too?

Did you kill them to extinction or have a way to get them before opening?

On another note, had a blast Sunbroing Fume Knight today. A lot more success and I have my strat down pretty well. Less than 50% equip load and just dodge rolling is the only way to go, tanking won't cut it. Feel like I have the fight mostly mastered since I don't take much damage anymore. Quite the reversal of opinion after a couple days.

To extinction. I'd pull the lever, kill em all, and then feather, rinse and repeat. The second set of guys I ran past though.

Yes but he doesnt recognized you first or maybe he was using the ashen mist too?

I think he's using the ashen mist too, according to wikidot his dialog in the memory of Orro:

Oh! Look at you! Old friend!
I see yer travels weigh upon you yet.
Just remember, I'm always ready to help.

He does recognize you. He was like the equivalent to Solaire in DS2, I mean he's doing the same thing you're doing; I don't like him much though.

I view it as something akin to Bioshock 2; it's a highly iterative sequel from the "B-Team", but it's building off of a fantastic base (or at least if you loved Bioshock 1 gameplay-wise it did) and while it has flaws they're not actively game ruining. It even makes some arguable improvements along the way.

Hopefully that doesn't mean Bloodborne will be the Bioshock Infinite of the franchise, but the fact it was announced less than a year before release (even before delays Bioshock Infinite was slated for AT LEAST a year after announcement, announced in late 2010 for release in 2012) and the fact it already has a firm release date probably means it IS basically the exact opposite.

It's interesting that you use Bioshock 2 as an example. I really liked it and had more fun with it than Infinite which bored me to tears. Hopefully, BloodBorne is another excellent FROM title. So after the replies from this thread, I'm getting Dark Souls II on PS3. Thanks everyone

It's interesting that you use Bioshock 2 as an example. I really liked it and had more fun with it than Infinite which bored me to tears. Hopefully, BloodBorne is another excellent FROM title. So after the replies from this thread, I'm getting Dark Souls II on PS3. Thanks everyone

Miyazaki has never failed us, so I don't think there is any reason to doubt the quality of Bloodborne at this point.

KingKong

Is there any reason (outside of the obvious) to beat the first dlc? The last boss is really kicking my ass, and it seems like that's the last thing in DLC1 so I can just move on DLC2 right?

Is there any reason (outside of the obvious) to beat the first dlc? The last boss is really kicking my ass, and it seems like that's the last thing in DLC1 so I can just move on DLC2 right?

If you want to know, here:
You need to kill the last boss because after he dies you retrieve the crown of the sunken king. Aside from the bonuses it negatives and gives, as well as the additional dialogue you get from Vendrick when you enter his memory, the point of getting the crowns is unknown.

Top Bottom