• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
So wait, I can make the black cryptsword EVEN STRONGER? Sweeeeeeet. That weapon is really OP, lol.
I'm surprised you've not infused it with dark for the S scaling and gone to 60/60 INT/FTH. That is where the dark bonus starts to really drop of it's at 185 by then. There's only a 15 increase to 99/99 where it's 200.

CentroXer

Banned
I am really disappointed by the DLC weapons and armor so far. Bewitched Alonne sword which looks awesome is not as good as chaos blade and there is no new armor that rival havels.

Also the new rings kinda suck.

TnK

I'm surprised you've not infused it with dark for the S scaling and gone to 60/60 INT/FTH. That is where the dark bonus starts to really drop of it's at 185 by then. There's only a 15 increase to 99/99 where it's 200.

Actually, the weapon is dark infused, which is why I leveled up both INT and FTH. I thought 30 was the soft cap. Also, not enough souls to level up both INT/FTH even higher.

I have been leveling up INT and FTH mostly, with some ADP and VGR from time to time, but still not at the same rate as normal NG.

I just realized that I am having a hard time acquiring souls in NG+. Any help with getting souls?

EDIT: Just increased INT and FTH to 31 and the damage is still at 774. Does the dark weapon hex become stronger and not the weapon itself?

I am really disappointed by the DLC weapons and armor so far. Bewitched Alonne sword which looks awesome is not as good as chaos blade and there is no new armor that rival havels.

Drakeblood armor is awesome and the Alonne armor is a good mid-weight armor I find. Weapons are a bit lacking but the Smelter Hammer is fun for a novelty build, especially if you dual wield and powerstance.

CentroXer

Banned
Not enough souls to level up. I have been leveling up INT and FTH mostly, with some ADP and VGR from time to time.

I just realized that I am having a hard time acquiring souls in NG+. Any help with getting souls?

I farm my souls on Giant Lord. With right equipment you get over 550K souls per kill. Basically you can rack up millions of souls in 15 minutes.

I am level 600 myself.

TnK

I farm my souls on Giant Lord. With right equipment you get over 550K souls per kill. Basically you can rack up millions of souls in 15 minutes.

I am level 600 myself.
He is dead in my play through though, or do you mean use a bonefire aesthetic?

Essay

I might just be nostalgic for a certain weapon from Demon's Souls, but the
Dragon Bone Smasher-esque Fume Ultra Greatsword
from the DLC is my new favourite weapon. It has a 2HL2 attack that pancakes, which, along with its 1HR2, guards attacks on startup. (I <3 guard points.) Heck, it blocks better than anything else that isn't a shield too, boasting 60 Stability and 80 physical resist moves.

CentroXer

Banned
from the DLC is my new favourite weapon. It has a 2HL2 attack that pancakes, which, along with its 1HR2, guards attacks on startup. (I <3 guard points.) Heck, it blocks better than anything else that isn't a shield too, boasting 60 Stability and 80 physical resist moves.

I dislike the ultra weapons because of the weight and clunkiness. I prefer katanas due to their quickness and high counter damage. I tried all of the katanas, but basically I always come back to the Dark Chaos Blade. Slices like butter, especially in PvP.

Mistel

Banned
Heck, it blocks better than anything else that isn't a shield too, boasting 60 Stability and 80 physical resist moves.
The only weapon that block better than that excluding Orma and Revee is a enchanted moonlight greats sword which gets 90 physical reduction it's only got 40 stability though.

ElTopo

Banned
So, beat Sinh/Kalameet 2.0 again. There's a definite pattern you can exploit a bit to get him. I'd still say he's a hard boss though.

Trying to get the Dark Lurker again. Beat the zone in Drangelic last night, tried the zone in Shaded Woods and that spectre that fires lightning followed me a bit. I was waiting for him then I was going to lure out the phantoms one by one. The spectre was at the entrance of the tunnel, he winds up an attack, I back off and hide behind some cover and his lightning goes through the wall and pushes me down a chasm and I die.

Today I beat the other two zones and fought Dark Lurker once but kinda' forgot his pattern and lost. Warped to the Drangelic zone, died once to the first phantom. On my 2nd attempt I killed the phantom and as I was attacking the 2nd phantom I was invaded...

First reaction: You gotta' be fucking kidding me? You can be invaded here? A zone that doesn't give you any healing items and has some of the hardest phantoms in the game. A zone that costs an Effigy every fucking time I want to fight the Darklurker. They made it possible to be invaded? WTF?

CentroXer

Banned
So, beat Sinh/Kalameet 2.0 again. There's a definite pattern you can exploit a bit to get him. I'd still say he's a hard boss though.

Trying to get the Dark Lurker again. Beat the zone in Drangelic last night, tried the zone in Shaded Woods and that spectre that fires lightning followed me a bit. I was waiting for him then I was going to lure out the phantoms one by one. The spectre was at the entrance of the tunnel, he winds up an attack, I back off and hide behind some cover and his lightning goes through the wall and pushes me down a chasm and I die.

Today I beat the other two zones and fought Dark Lurker once but kinda' forgot his pattern and lost. Warped to the Drangelic zone, died once to the first phantom. On my 2nd attempt I killed the phantom and as I was attacking the 2nd phantom I was invaded...

First reaction: You gotta' be fucking kidding me? You can be invaded here? A zone that doesn't give you any healing items and has some of the hardest phantoms in the game. A zone that costs an Effigy every fucking time I want to fight the Darklurker. They made it possible to be invaded? WTF?

Dark Lurker is easy. Cast Profound still and then smash him with CSS.

Not if you're melee. And he's not the problem, the problem was getting invaded.

Equip pyromancy flame.

Spam Flame Swathe.

/lol

You can farm more swathes in one of the belfrys. Same one you can use to farm simpleton's spice. Also does double damage once he splits.

But yes, it is kinda bullshit that you can get invaded there. Just go offline for that bit, i guess.

never been invaded there. And If you're invaded, you just gotta be prepared. buff stack immediately

Didn't the last patch eliminate buff stacking?

Mistel

Banned
Not if you're melee. And he's not the problem, the problem was getting invaded.
In the chasm invaders are targeted by the black phantoms as well. So it's not as easy as invading in other places. Killing players there is a reliable source of ascetics as long as you land the killing blow as an invader.

ElTopo

Banned
In the chasm invaders are targeted by the black phantoms as well. So it's not as easy as invading in other places. Killing players there is a reliable source of ascetics as long as you land the killing blow as an invader.

That's interesting. But in Drangelic there's only 4 enemies and by the time I was invaded I had already killed the Havel-looking dude. The other 2 are pushovers and the last 1 is a moderate challenge.

yatesl

So I was doing my NG+ in an effort to get the rest of the Steam achievements (just a few spells left, need NG++), and I'm in the crypt. All of a sudden, an NPC invader (I assume) spawns and absolutely wrecks me. Hex magic, lightening spear, sword, bow, and super fast. I Google her, and nothing pops up - at all!

The next time she spawns much later (as I'm about to go through the fog door to the second bonfire, vs almost straight away) and kills me again. The third time I sprint past the two guards through the fog door, but she doesn't.

kZqgxiI.jpg

Could this be a person with the name "Black Witch Talia", or is it an NPC? I'm playing on the PC, so no idea what crazy mods are out there

Edit: In fact, I realised ShadowPlay was still running. Alt+F10 and just recorded, and it looks like it says "Invaded by dark spirit Black Witch Talia". Person?

Gurrry

So the last time I really sat down and played DS2 was when they nerfed the Shrine of Amana.

I bought the DLC last night and.. wow.. things have def changed. I have 2 questions though.

1) What is the best Strength Faith weapon?

2) Is the DLC really this hard? I do zero damage to the first boss ive encountered. This shit seems like its either scaling to my level, or they gave these bosses an extreme amount of health.

TnK

DBS is in DS2? Time to try and make it. I need to use the Fume Knight's shield with ornifix to make, correct?
Use an ascetic on the place unbeknownst bonfire and giant lord respawns along with the ascetic in the memory so you can keep going indefinitely.

Will try it later on when I can.

Was summoned against Fume Knight boss with someone that had no armor, and only a great shield with the Greatsword. The guy had some really good skills and Fume Knight was down fast.

Mistel

Banned
What is the best Strength Faith weapon?
Either a smelter hammer, red iron twinblade, kings ultra greatsword, archdrake mace, drakekeepers warpick, and a mastodon greatsword are pretty much the better options.
DBS is in DS2? Time to try and make it. I need to use the Fume Knight's shield with ornifix to make, correct?
Not exactly it's similar in appearance though. Yes Ornifex is who you trade the soul with.

Sullichin

I want to like this but it has a pretty terrible moveset from what I tried. I couldn't land anything in PVP. Even more difficult than other UGSs

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Did you see the switch that opens up a couple of barred gates with enemies inside at the start of the Iron Passage?

That's your shortcut.
More like "shortcut". It's more annoying than the actual level, to be honest.

Yeah, I thought the first DLC had better loot too. Drakeblood armour, Sanctum guardian armour, the neat crossbows... Though I have to say, Alonne's armour is sweeeeet. Finally a proper samurai armour!

Are you kidding me with Fume Knight? HOW THE FUCK HE MANAGED TO LOSE TO
Velstadt
?

Guy is fucking relentless.
Haha, seriously!

UrbanRats

Gave it a couple of more tries and finally killed
Fume Knight

Tried
Smelter
once, but it killed me at about 50% health... doesn't seem too tough, just a regular
smelter
with buffed up stats, kind of a disappointment, really.

Even
the queen
in the previous DLC, was a better reskin than this, c'mon FROM...

Anyway, the way to get there seems more annoying than the boss itself, even if you can run through most of it, as long as you don't take the "shortcut".

tcrunch

Are you kidding me with Fume Knight? HOW THE FUCK HE MANAGED TO LOSE TO
Velstadt
?

Guy is fucking relentless.

He only got his big fire/dark sword after
getting beaten by Velstadt with his longsword/greatshield combo, and losing his greatshield in the part of FOFG that looks like Iron Keep for some reason.

Also Velstadt was presumably stronger before he decided to sit around in the Crypt with a hollowing kingcorpse for a few hundred/thousand years.

v1perz53

Oh, I just read on fextralife that Ring of Blades +50 bonus is reduced by a percentage if your weapon is imbued such that it does split damage, is that really how it works? Also, if you take a weapon like Black Knight Halberd or Crypt Blacksword that already does part elemental damage and imbue it with that element, does it reduce Ring of Blades bonus even further?

Reconsidering my Ring of Blades/Flynn's Ring setup for my faith build if so.

Jaeger

Been playing the DLC (Old Iron King) for the first time with my secondary character who is still in NG. Enemies fall much faster for me. My original run was with a character in NG+++.
I'll go through the Sunken King DLC after this with her.

Mistel

Banned
Oh, I just read on fextralife that Ring of Blades +50 bonus is reduced by a percentage if your weapon is imbued such that it does split damage, is that really how it works? Also, if you take a weapon like Black Knight Halberd or Crypt Blacksword that already does part elemental damage and imbue it with that element, does it reduce Ring of Blades bonus even further?

Reconsidering my Ring of Blades/Flynn's Ring setup for my faith build if so.
When a weapon is infused it will only gain 50% of the bonus if its a weapon on the normal upgrade path. Those on twinkling and petrified dragon bone paths will gain 80% if infused. I assume it works the same for natural elemental weapons so with your examples they'd get 80% bonus. As far as I can tell it treats natural the same as infused I could be wrong though.

v1perz53

When a weapon is infused it will only gain 50% of the bonus if its a weapon on the normal upgrade path. Those on twinkling and petrified dragon bone paths will gain 80% if infused. I assume it works the same for natural elemental weapons so with your examples they'd get 80% bonus.

My major question is actually if natural elemental weapons that are also infused go even further below 50%, or if they hit the same 50% as regular infused weapons. I guess I could test myself when I get home without too much difficulty.

TnK

Well, something really strange just happened. Was summoned as a phantom to help, and all of a sudden, the other summoned players attacked me and we started fighting while the host just watched.

How is this even possible? lol.

2) Is the DLC really this hard? I do zero damage to the first boss ive encountered. This shit seems like its either scaling to my level, or they gave these bosses an extreme amount of health.

Dont use npc summons, they reduce your damage by a ton and, depending on boss, are worthless.

I was hitting Fume for 600 with 1h red iron+10, 350-400ish with raw santier+5, so ymmv. Those are with flynn's and RoB+2, tho.

Mistel

Banned
Well, something really strange just happened. Was summoned as a phantom to help, and all of a sudden, the other summoned players attacked me and we started fighting while the host just watched.

How is this even possible? lol.
The phantoms were wearing the white ring probably and were invaders/red soap stone summoned most likely.

TnK

The phantoms were wearing the white ring probably and were invaders/red soap stone summoned most likely.

So the person that summoned them knew about this? Wow lol, that is some grade A trolling. I was about to win against both of them too. Too bad I lost the 2v1 battle.

Gave it a couple of more tries and finally killed
Fume Knight

Tried
Smelter
once, but it killed me at about 50% health... doesn't seem too tough, just a regular
smelter
with buffed up stats, kind of a disappointment, really.

Even
the queen
in the previous DLC, was a better reskin than this, c'mon FROM...

Anyway, the way to get there seems more annoying than the boss itself, even if you can run through most of it, as long as you don't take the "shortcut".

I find the shortcut a lot easier;
less enemies to to kill repeatedly and stop them from spawning. Then you just run along the left side and roll to dodge the fireballs. I like it more because I can just kite the Smelter dude outside the boss fog to where i am, then run past him. Leave it to From to make a shortcut more difficult the first few times you attempt using it.

Mistel

Banned
So the person that summoned them knew about this? Wow lol, that is some grade A trolling. I was about to win against both of them too. Too bad I lost the 2v1 battle.
Most likely they planned it. Some hide the via silver taslismans then once you're with the host will backs stab you with a mail breaker when they pop up behind you.

UrbanRats

I find the shortcut a lot easier;
less enemies to to kill repeatedly and stop them from spawning. Then you just run along the left side and roll to dodge the fireballs. I like it more because I can just kite the Smelter dude outside the boss fog to where i am, then run past him. Leave it to From to make a shortcut more difficult the first few times you attempt using it.

Anything requiring me to kill those fuckers 15 times ain't worth my time. :p

onken

You still will get more damage output if you raise both your FTH/INT for the weapons that have things like fire and lightning either naturally or infused on as you've get a bigger scaling bonus. Therefore gaining more damage from them.
Yeah I'll be putting my points from here on into INT (at least until it matches FTH)

neoism

I am level 600 myself.

:O damn like I've kill him like 20 times but yeah I only get about 350+k but I tend to waste my souls on other things...

ALSO HOLY SHIAAT I just got a 46inch 1080p LED :O man this game looks sooo fucking good. I've been using my 24inch monitor for like 180 hours. Cant wait to play Destiny on it.

I've had a lot of luck with the Puzzling Stone Sword in PVP. People don't really seem to know how to dodge the R2 yet. They try and roll expecting a typical sword move, but by the time their iframes are finished the final sweep comes down and nicks them.

NEO0MJ

I really wish there was some way to store souls in a bank or something. I don't want to level up now but I have like 400k souls!

I've had a lot of luck with the Puzzling Stone Sword in PVP. People don't really seem to know how to dodge the R2 yet. They try and roll expecting a typical sword move, but by the time their iframes are finished the final sweep comes down and nicks them.

Yeah, I only saw it once but I thought it was a dagger at first and only really noticed what the weapon was when the R2 attack was used. Doesn't help that when a player becomes a phantom its distinctive green glow disappears.

I really wish there was some way to store souls in a bank or something. I don't want to level up now but I have like 400k souls!

That is literally less than a single trip to the Giant Lord memory, and it also provides an ascetic and two twinkling titanites per ascetic. Takes less than three minutes.

Don't worry about it =D

Top Bottom