• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Yeah, I only saw it once but I thought it was a dagger at first and only really noticed what the weapon was when the R2 attack was used. Doesn't help that when a player becomes a phantom its distinctive green glow disappears.

Yeah, it can definitely catch you off guard, which is why it's been pretty effective currently. Eventually I'm sure people will wise up to it, though, and get the timing right for dodging it. The damage output is pretty low.

NEO0MJ

That is literally less than a single trip to the Giant Lord memory, and it also provides an ascetic and two twinkling titanites per ascetic. Takes less than three minutes.

Don't worry about it =D

It's more about not wanting to raise my Soul Memory without use.

Essay

It's more about not wanting to raise my Soul Memory without use.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't SM raise itself when you collect the souls, not when you spend them? If so, why not just blow your stockpile on upgrading everything you can use to +9, and maxing out your ammo and consumables supply from vendors?

v1perz53

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't SM raise itself when you collect the souls, not when you spend them? If so, why not just blow your stockpile on upgrading everything you can use to +9, and maxing out your ammo and consumables supply from vendors?

He means he doesn't want to lose the souls without using them, because then he would have increased his SM for no reason since he got no levels out of it. But he doesn't want to level up quite yet, so wanted to "bank" the souls to keep them safe without using them or risking them in the world. Wants to use them to level eventually, just not right now it seems, unless I misunderstood "don't want to level up now" when actually meant "don't want to level up anymore".

NEO0MJ

I guess I don't want any buyers remorse. It's a good thing we can now change our build but with items and equipment I would hate wasting souls, though with most of them I don't think it matters much. With the standard weapons and armor it only costs something like 50k to fully upgrade them, right?

Essay

With the standard weapons and armor it only costs something like 50k to fully upgrade them, right?

There abouts, I think, or a bit more when you factor in the blacksmith's varying charges.

EDIT: 57k for buying upgrade materials before blacksmith fees, assuming you're farming the slab.

I guess I don't want any buyers remorse. It's a good thing we can now change our build but with items and equipment I would hate wasting souls, though with most of them I don't think it matters much. With the standard weapons and armor it only costs something like 50k to fully upgrade them, right?

You could always put on a ring of life protection, it only costs 3k souls to fix. Unless you need all 4 ring slots, then I have no idea. Buy a crazy amount of consumables I guess lol. I ended up buying 999 arrows, 99 life gems, and a bunch of other things once.

v1perz53

You could always put on a ring of life protection, it only costs 3k souls to fix. Unless you need all 4 ring slots, then I have no idea. Buy a crazy amount of consumables I guess lol. I ended up buying 999 arrows, 99 life gems, and a bunch of other things once.

Hah yea, I always buy 999 of my main arrow/bolt, 999 poison arrows and 99 lifegems before moving on to NG+ from NG. I used a shit ton of all of those things during my "no resting at bonfires" run I did in NG+ because I didn't want to do no death and no bonfire in the same run. Didn't help that I used an Avelyn with its 3x ammo per shot.

GorillaJu

So wait, I can make the black cryptsword EVEN STRONGER? Sweeeeeeet. That weapon is really OP, lol.

Also, just beat Sir Alonne. Was the best boss in the DLC, second comes second form Fume Knight, and third is Smelter blue. Actually, Fume Knight may be the hardest souls boss I fought against.

Sir Alonne was not as hard as Fume Knight, but the battle itself was better.

Alonne was absolute cake compared to Fume Knight. Alonne reminds me of a slightly easier Old King Allant. It was fun but I had no problem beating him on the second try.

Fume Knight was the hardest Souls boss I've ever fought. He just has so. many. fucking. moves. I died probably 15 times to him, maybe more.

Alonne was absolute cake compared to Fume Knight. Alonne reminds me of a slightly easier Old King Allant. It was fun but I had no problem beating him on the second try.

Fume Knight was the hardest Souls boss I've ever fought. He just has so. many. fucking. moves. I died probably 15 times to him, maybe more.

At least they were nice enough to put a bonfire really close to him. From loves us in a sadistic way :3.

Just thinking... Why hasn't there been a boss that requires basic parrying? It's a great mechanic and very satisfying to use. A humanoid boss that blocks everything, but falls on its ass after a parry could be interesting.

Anyway, just a thought.

I've also been trying to get my parry on in PvP, but man, it's just such a finicky goddamn thing. I can't see myself ever getting a feel for it.

Just thinking... Why hasn't there been a boss that requires basic parrying? It's a great mechanic and very satisfying to use. A humanoid boss that blocks everything, but falls on its ass after a parry could be interesting.

Anyway, just a thought.

I've also been trying to get my parry on in PvP, but man, it's just such a finicky goddamn thing. I can't see myself ever getting a feel for it.

Because it would be a repeat of
Gwyn
lol. Although, parrying is harder in DS2, so it may work better.

Anyway, just a thought.

I would involves using the player brain.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You mean the False King, right? Or Old King Doran? He's nothing like either Allant. :p

I think Alonne is harder than those two by far, anyway. He's way faster, you need twitch reflexes. He might be easier with a tank though, haven't tried it on my greatshield user yet.

Ditto.

Gwyn? xD

ElTopo

Banned
God the 2nd DLC is so bad. NG++ there's even MORE phantoms this time. Goodie...

Genuinely curious about this: has anyone figured out the ideal way to open that locked door in that area where you drop down and there's an idol in the far right corner and at least 3-4 grunts and a giant dude?

I'm really curious as to how dudes dealt with that situation. The only ways I can see one getting through this area unscathed are:

Going down, running back up the ladder and sniping.

Going down and somehow take all of them on.

Dropping down and running all the way to the idol and bait them to get near it and then rush to the lever and open the door and then run out.

God the 2nd DLC is shit...

Genuinely curious about this: has anyone figured out the ideal way to open that locked door in that area where you drop down and there's an idol in the far right corner and at least 3-4 grunts and a giant dude?

I'm really curious as to how dudes dealt with that situation. The only ways I can see one getting through this area unscathed are:

Dropping down and running all the way to the idol and bait them to get near it and then rush to the lever and open the door and then run out.

That part is kind of annoying, I just went part way down the ladder to bait some over. Go up and kill them with magic/arrows. Rinse and Repeat until it is managable down there. I don't think it's reasonable at all to go down there solo melee.

ElTopo

Banned
That part is kind of annoying, I just went part way down the ladder to bait some over. Go up and kill them with magic/arrows. Rinse and Repeat until it is managable down there. I don't think it's reasonable at all to go down there solo melee.

That's what I figured. Of course the 4th option there would be summoning. That whole area just feels incredibly lazy and not tested very well. I wouldn't be surprised to see a patch down the line that addresses the many problems of the 2nd DLC.

I never encountered phantoms yet, maybe it's a NG++ thing and not a NG+ thing. As for that area, what I did was go to where the door says "Cannot be opened from this side" And attack the door, there's a bunch of explosive barrels blocking the door(you might die, so there's that) then you can take the guy that throws firebombs at you on. You can then snipe one of the dudes and I think the giant Smelter Hammer wielding dude through the opening of the gate. What I did the first time was what you just said, except I killed the dudes with arrows, got the idol, then ran and pulled the lever. Yeah I find the 2nd DLC to be highly disappointing level design wise. The bosses aren't too bad imo.

ElTopo

Banned
I never encountered phantoms yet, maybe it's a NG++ thing and not a NG+ thing. As for that area, what I did was go to where the door says "Cannot be opened from this side" And attack the door, there's a bunch of explosive barrels blocking the door(you might die, so there's that) then you can take the guy that throws firebombs at you on. You can then snipe one of the dudes and I think the giant Smelter Hammer wielding dude through the opening of the gate. What I did the first time was what you just said, except I killed the dudes with arrows, got the idol, then ran and pulled the lever. Yeah I find the 2nd DLC to be highly disappointing level design wise. The bosses aren't too bad imo.

I figured there was a trick for that door. Still terrible though.

Yeah, there's definitely more phantoms in NG++ versus NG+ for some reason. I believe it;s the one of the very few areas of the game that has more phantoms in NG++.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Cool. I wonder if
Raime
can parry too, when he's in that defensive stance. I know it annoyed the shit out of me when they take those stances while I have a buff active, because I know it's pointless to attack. :p

Question about the [2nd DLC spoilers]
Prowlers BPs. Can they be farmed for the berserker blades? Say, kill a bunch except one, suicide (not much choice since you can't use the feather or bonfires while an invasion is active), repeat invasions? Or do the individual BPs you killed before dying not respawn? I never died to them yet, so I wonder. My dual whip users got two berserker blade drops, but my faith build got zero. I hope my dex gets them. They're better than the uchi, right?

Yeah I find the 2nd DLC to be highly disappointing level design wise. The bosses aren't too bad imo.
Really? I found
Smelter 2.0
to be the most disappointing things about all the DLCs combined. I really liked the exploration and level design of the 2nd DLC, but that boss really left a sour taste.

Wow,
Elanas Forbidden Sun on NG+ can bite me. That shit takes half of my health(I have 2528 health mind you). I guess I sohuld get armour that ups my fire def, I started using the Fire Quartz ring +3, and Smelter Helm, so I sohuld take less damage, assuming it deals 100% fire damage.

Prowlers BPs. Can they be farmed for the berserker blades? Say, kill a bunch except one, suicide (not much choice since you can't use the feather or bonfires while an invasion is active), repeat invasions? Or do the individual BPs you killed before dying not respawn? I never died to them yet, so I wonder. My dual whip users got two berserker blade drops, but my faith build got zero. I hope my dex gets them. They're better than the uchi, right?

You can but they only spawns once so you have to use ascetics.

Wow,
Elanas Forbidden Sun on NG+ can bite me. That shit takes half of my health(I have 2528 health mind you). I guess I sohuld get armour that ups my fire def, I started using the Fire Quartz ring +3, and Smelter Helm, so I sohuld take less damage, assuming it deals 100% fire damage.

Wow, Elanas Forbidden Sun on NG+ can bite me. That shit takes half of my health(I have 2528 health mind you). I guess I sohuld get armour that ups my fire def, I started using the Fire Quartz ring +3, and Smelter Helm, so I sohuld take less damage, assuming it deals 100% fire damage.

It can be easily avoidable since she does a gesture before casting it in front of her

Cool. I wonder if
Raime
can parry too, when he's in that defensive stance. I know it annoyed the shit out of me when they take those stances while I have a buff active, because I know it's pointless to attack. :p

Really? I found
Smelter 2.0
to be the most disappointing things about all the DLCs combined. I really liked the exploration and level design of the 2nd DLC, but that boss really left a sour taste.

Well, he's not too bad. It's just the run to him that's extremely obnoxious.

So... you mean you can't. :p I was asking if it was possible to do without ascetics, using the method I described.

It's the fact that it's a reskin that pisses me off.

Well, he's optional.
Yeah it sucks that it's just a complete reskin, but I rather a colour change rather than them adding bullshit mechanics to make him different. *cough* Elana *cough*

I never encountered phantoms yet, maybe it's a NG++ thing and not a NG+ thing. As for that area, what I did was go to where the door says "Cannot be opened from this side" And attack the door, there's a bunch of explosive barrels blocking the door(you might die, so there's that) then you can take the guy that throws firebombs at you on. You can then snipe one of the dudes and I think the giant Smelter Hammer wielding dude through the opening of the gate.

You can also get the explodemon guys in both of the adjacent upper floor rooms to fall. They'll path through most enemies in the lower floor. Go to the room that is acessible after you blow up the barrels blocking the door, then use fire arrows to blow up one of the explodemons near the giant. Should be all it takes to kill it. Use other kablooeys to take out the rest. You'll only have to deal with a couple regular enemies then.

After i cleared that room and got the door open, dashed through it every single time. Fuck the delayed spawn right after it, tho.

Ruuppa

You can also get the explodemon guys in both of the adjacent upper floor rooms to fall. They'll path through most enemies in the lower floor. Go to the room that is acessible after you blow up the barrels blocking the door, then use fire arrows to blow up one of the explodemons near the giant. Should be all it takes to kill it. Use other kablooeys to take out the rest. You'll only have to deal with a couple regular enemies then.

After i cleared that room and got the door open, dashed through it every single time. Fuck the delayed spawn right after it, tho.

The Barrelbros are super helpful in the DLC. They help you get secret loot, kill your enemies, don't even try to hurt you.. The true good guys of Iron Keep.

Now, the floaty archer bastards.. Now those guys can go to hell.

Wow, Elanas Forbidden Sun on NG+ can bite me. That shit takes half of my health(I have 2528 health mind you). I guess I sohuld get armour that ups my fire def, I started using the Fire Quartz ring +3, and Smelter Helm, so I sohuld take less damage, assuming it deals 100% fire damage.

It can be easily avoidable since she does a gesture before casting it in front of her

If you want to be a cool guy, use a spell parry shield to parry it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The Barrelbros are super helpful in the DLC. They help you get secret loot, kill your enemies, don't even try to hurt you.. The true good guys of Iron Keep.
And you murder them for all that good stuff!

Now, the floaty archer bastards.. Now those guys can go to hell.
Them and the mages that slow you down and cast Profound Still.... asfsdghdrfyhurtfju

Smelter 2.0
was a pain with my sorceress on NG+. Every phantom I summoned (I'm done solo'ing for now, two characters is enough XD) died in the gauntlet, and I couldn't climb back for more signs. So I solo'ed the boss, and I did such pitiful damage anyway. MLGS was weak as shit, so melee backup wasn't much of an option. I whittled down his health with Toxic Mist every time he did the
plunging attack + AOE charge
, and had to really find long openings to cast Soul Vortex and Soul Geyser, which weren't even that strong, and also long openings to use amber herbs because that animation is slow. Used all my Estus and some lifegems because I can't dodge consistently enough (I blocked some but of course dark damage goes through my poor kite shield).

Still, somehow, he was harder on NG in the Company of Champions with my faith, than with her. Or at least I took way fewer tries. Either I got gud or my defense is better and I could take hits more, not sure... or it helps to use ranged instead of close-ranged melee since his aura won't hurt me as much? Anyway, that guy is down. I'm totally summoning for the other bosses though. I don't want to imagine how weak I'll be against NG+
Raime
. >_<

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Smelter 2.0
was a pain with my sorceress on NG+. Every phantom I summoned (I'm done solo'ing for now, two characters is enough XD) died in the gauntlet, and I couldn't climb back for more signs. So I solo'ed the boss, and I did such pitiful damage anyway..

I never helped anyone for that specific fight till date, but helped a friend yesterday. Havel's shield, the new ring and Strong Magic Shield will make that enemy feel like a baby with a toy.

Edit
*New Meta*

.start a new game
.go to DLC_2
.get that ring (which helps with blocking)
.get Havel's shield from the gutter
.Game = Easy Mode

Smelter 2.0
was a pain with my sorceress on NG+. Every phantom I summoned (I'm done solo'ing for now, two characters is enough XD) died in the gauntlet, and I couldn't climb back for more signs. So I solo'ed the boss, and I did such pitiful damage anyway. MLGS was weak as shit, so melee backup wasn't much of an option. I whittled down his health with Toxic Mist every time he did the
plunging attack + AOE charge
, and had to really find long openings to cast Soul Vortex and Soul Geyser, which weren't even that strong, and also long openings to use amber herbs because that animation is slow. Used all my Estus and some lifegems because I can't dodge consistently enough (I blocked some but of course dark damage goes through my poor kite shield).

Ahm..you kinda did the equivalent of trying to kill smelter 1.0 with fire attacks, mate =/

Dont worry, the other bosses will take more damage from sorceries.

Also might wanna look into popping an ascetic in lower tseldora and killing the spider for crystal soul spear.

Haunted

Wait, why would I want to farm Berserker Blades?

I got 2 regularly going through Brume Tower, but when I peeked at their stats, they looked like mediocre katanas to me, nothing special. Did I overlook something?

edit: if for completionist/aesthetic reasons, fair enough.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, why would I want to farm Berserker Blades?

I got 2 regularly going through Brume Tower, but when I peeked at their stats, they looked like mediocre katanas to me, nothing special. Did I overlook something?

edit: if for completionist/aesthetic reasons, fair enough.

It's basically a very short Washing Pole with 150 Crit Damage and a very slow heavy attack.

takriel

Both Dark Souls 2 DLC's have been excellent so far. I really like their ideas and level design. It seems they learned quite a lot since Dark Souls 2's inception. Bring on Dark Souls 3!

They really cheaped out on the memory of the old iron king. Just a gauntlet of large flat square rooms.

Eh, first dlc was even heavier on the large flat square rooms. What made it so nice were all the hidden switches and passages, and being able to modify the environment as you advanced.

Dyno

I am really enjoying the second DLC. Part of that might be that the enemies seem less resistant to magic and a few quick GH Soul Arrows take them out. I've found five of the six bonfires but haven't taken out any of the bosses yet, just helped people out.

It's a dungeon comprised of a number of small, densely packed routes or extensions. If you take your time you can do them in a single go and not have to repeat. It was really satisfying to do the tower with the Fiery Scepter thing in a single go. This kind of play however takes a lot of concentration and can get me quite anxious. That's why I play a bit, make some progress, and then stop for the night.

The gauntlets are fun to me. I did the gauntlet to the Brume Knight once to get all the treasures but then ran it two other times until I found the nearby bonfire. That's a crazy run through the holes! I'm at the Smelter Gauntlet and it seems even tougher but everybody is summoning there and so it's been enjoyable.

And the Clutch Rings are great! That Sorcery Clutch Ring powered up my Sorceror. The damage boost is so great that I respec'ed by character from Mundane to pure sorcery to maximize the boost.

Mistel

Banned
Thinking of trying out magic pilgrim's spontoon (lol) with sorcery clutch ring/CMW. Anyone like that thing?
It works with both sorcires and hexes; does both dark and magic damage with no physical damage at all. It's got a cast speed of 100 and the 130 counter damage applies to stuff you cast with it. I think it would be better of with hexes than sorceries.

Thinking of trying out magic pilgrim's spontoon (lol) with sorcery clutch ring/CMW. Anyone like that thing?

Only for hibrird sorcery hexes builds. There is already a black witch staff that can makes even cast miracles alonside hexes and sorceries

Addind more data, it would be great to get it early for sorcering because you can mix it with dark fog and kill groups of enemies using one spell and save the important one for danger situations

zewone

I use the spontoon for it's weapon capabilities, since I use the black witch staff as my catalyst.

I run 50INT/50FTH so the fact the weapon does strictly dark and magic damage is nice. Really hoping to see a Dark Clutch ring in the next DLC.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Guys what's some good gear for me to pop on before Nashandra? I'm not very into getting cursed left and right and I really wanna get into NG+ :D.

Edit: I feel kind of dumb for completely forgetting about the ring of binding.

Top Bottom