• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

FloatOn

Closer to 200, I think. To be honest it's much of a muchness. Your SM will still increase and you'll eventually end up being matched against folk who haven't stopped levelling.

yeah, I feel pretty underleveled in some ways.

I understand the "git gud" thing but some of these encounters in the old iron king are just brutal.

This is cool!

download_by_realghostvids-d7xwi9r.png

fashion

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Engraved Gauntlets and Agydane's armour has decent curse resistance. Add a Cursebite Ring and you should be good.

Keep it handy for the 2nd DLC. You may need it there too.

You expect me to murder Agadyne? He's just doing his job! Grave Wardens are cool (despite from being dumb and putting them on Earthern Peak for no good reason)

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
You expect me to murder Agadyne? He's just doing his job! Grave Wardens are cool (despite from being dumb and putting them on Earthern Peak for no good reason)

You can get them without killing Agadyne, just
summon him for the boss fight and make sure he survives

Is there a list anywhere of enemy respawn numbers?

Just out of curiosity, since different enemies seem to have different spawn counts, wondered if anyone had compiled a list anywhere, googling isn't helping much.

Jaeger

Good points on the irratical enemy movements and the crappiness of the supposedly "coop areas".

Smelter 2.0
deserved some more criticism, though.

Interestingly enough, he doesn't bother me that much. It is lazy, but being it's a super optional area, I don't mind. I can simply ignore it (aside from getting the Pharros Mask after beating him).

What's the release date for the third DLC?

I'm hyped.
September 24, 2014

:)

Dyno

I was helping people with Smelter Blue last night. Lots of summoning and I learned about the boss.

He is super-resistant to magic. I'm a sorcerer and I was getting the smallest damage numbers of any boss I have fought. So I switched my gear to a more weapony build. I had the most success with a fire weapon and was able to contribute to the summoner in this way.

I think he has one of the simplest move-sets of any boss too. I got very competent at rolling to his left on the first swing, and then rolling again behind him on the second swing. Then you hit him once or twice and prepare to do it again.

By the time I had the nerve to try him myself I was tired. Tonight though.

Mogwai

Interestingly enough, he doesn't bother me that much. It is lazy, but being it's a super optional area, I don't mind. I can simply ignore it (aside from getting the Pharros Mask after beating him).

I agree to some extend. It's just that we got to fight the 3x Ruin Sentinels and then they are added as a standard enemy later in the game. Then we get 5x Bell Gargoyles. Then we get Nashandra 2.0 including Velstadt and the skeletons.Finally that blue bastard also? I enjoy the game but it feels like the developers are running on fumes (no pun) when it comes to boss design.

The difficulty for bosses is fine, but where is the creativity?

Mistel

Banned
Having a muck around with the fashion souls thingy these two look quite nice:
Royal soldier helm goes with lots of stuff.
Is there a list anywhere of enemy respawn numbers?

Just out of curiosity, since different enemies seem to have different spawn counts, wondered if anyone had compiled a list anywhere, googling isn't helping much.
I don't know of a list myself most seem to stick between 10-15 respawns before they don't spawn.

v1perz53

So I was pretty nervous about fighting
Elana
alone in the first DLC because so many people posted here about how hard the fight was (first time I beat her was on NG+ with 2 human phantoms that destroyed her). But when I finally went in and did it, it was.. incredibly easy. Might be my build?

I was on my 50 faith 40 dex character with very low other stats on regular NG, using a 2H lightning Blue Knight Halberd +5 buffed with Sunlight Blade. I mean, I got the boss to around 70% in that little intro bit before the HP bar appeared. She
summoned Velstadt
, but he died in three hits from the halberd and was basically a non factor. She used
flame swathe, a dark machine gun attack, and pursuers
, but nothing hit for more than around half my HP, and she had such long pauses between attacks that I could always heal. Took her down well before Sunlight Blade duration ended.

I guess she might just be
weak to lightning
, and
Velstadt is too
? I didn't even have to use any Sunlight Spears. Or might just get much harder on NG+, that will be interesting.

Lame havel/sword/greatbow trio
wasn't too bad solo either, but I just ran around like an idiot and jumped down into the water and tossed lightning spears at them in the water abusing wet=lightning destroys you mechanic, so I feel like I cheated a bit there.

Mistel

Banned
weak to lightning
, and
Velstadt is too
? I didn't even have to use any Sunlight Spears. Or might just get much harder on NG+, that will be interesting.
No actually it's the opposite she's very resistant to lightning. Velstadt on the other hand is pretty weak to it.

v1perz53

No actually it's the opposite she's very resistant to lightning. Velstadt on the other hand is pretty weak to it.

Huh, that's really odd, she literally melted away when using my lightning infused weapon and Sunlight Blade. Maybe she just doesn't have that much HP at all on NG with no phantoms.

Mistel

Banned
Huh, that's really odd, she literally melted away when using my lightning infused weapon and Sunlight Blade. Maybe she just doesn't have that much HP at all on NG with no phantoms.
She's very vulnerable to physical. The blue knight halberd still does a lot more physical damage than elemental once infused a 343/146 split a max. That vulnerability is probably what did it.

So I was pretty nervous about fighting
Elana
alone in the first DLC because so many people posted here about how hard the fight was (first time I beat her was on NG+ with 2 human phantoms that destroyed her). But when I finally went in and did it, it was.. incredibly easy. Might be my build?

I was on my 50 faith 40 dex character with very low other stats on regular NG, using a 2H lightning Blue Knight Halberd +5 buffed with Sunlight Blade. I mean, I got the boss to around 70% in that little intro bit before the HP bar appeared. She
summoned Velstadt
, but he died in three hits from the halberd and was basically a non factor. She used
flame swathe, a dark machine gun attack, and pursuers
, but nothing hit for more than around half my HP, and she had such long pauses between attacks that I could always heal. Took her down well before Sunlight Blade duration ended.

weak to lightning
, and
Velstadt is too

Lame havel/sword/greatbow trio
wasn't too bad solo either, but I just ran around like an idiot and jumped down into the water and tossed lightning spears at them in the water abusing wet=lightning destroys you mechanic, so I feel like I cheated a bit there.

The trick with DLC bosses is not using phantoms or using only one but tanky

CentroXer

Banned
What is the difference between Dark Weapon and Resonant Weapon? The wiki says they both give +50 Dark damage and +30% dark element damage yet Resonant Weapon takes 2 slots and costs 2000 souls to use. What gives?

Resonant Weapon is more powerful. Go with that.

I tried resonant on giant lord got 890 damage, then tried dark weapon and got 845.

Just use resin.

cant buff already infused weapons with resin.

Mistel

Banned
Resonant Weapon is more powerful. Go with that.
No it is not both of them are calculated in the same way via (weapons original dark damage+50) X 1.3. Dark weapon last longer has more casts and takes up less slots. Pre patch you would of been right at it being superior.

CentroXer

Banned
No it is not both of them are calculated in the same way via (weapons original dark damage+50) X 1.3. Dark weapon last longer has more casts and takes up less slots. Pre patch you would of been right at it being superior.

you are wrong. resonant does more damage. It's been tested and all.

I don't know of a list myself most seem to stick between 10-15 respawns before they don't spawn.
Yeah, there's definately a few exceptions - I lost count but I'm almost certain the dogs in Aldia's Keep are something like 20 and some of the bigger enemies like the hippos seem more 8 (or maybe 10 yeah).

Wish I'd decided on total world depopulation earlier in this run and kept a list myself actually since there doesn't seem to be one elsewhere.

Mistel

Banned
you are wrong. resonant does more damage. It's been tested and all.
Dark and resonant are calculated the same way.
Yeah, there's definately a few exceptions - I lost count but I'm almost certain the dogs in Aldia's Keep are something like 20 and some of the bigger enemies like the hippos seem more 8 (or maybe 10 yeah).

Wish I'd decided on total world depopulation earlier in this run and kept a list myself actually since there doesn't seem to be one elsewhere.
You could ascetic previous areas if you were interested in collating a complete list.

I can understand the need to nerf Resonant from the 50% bonus, but to make them the same makes zero sense. Why even have Resonant weapon at all when it costs so much more to use and lasts less time. From is losing it here.

ElTopo

Banned
What is the best armor-to-weight-ratio? My VIT is all the way up to 49 and I was previously at the 64% Equip Load with the Alone Knight Captain set maxed out. Dark Armor seems okay but I want to get it in the 40's and curious if there's better sets than Dark Armor.

What is the best armor-to-weight-ratio? My VIT is all the way up to 49 and I was previously at the 64% Equip Load with the Alone Knight Captain set maxed out. Dark Armor seems okay but I want to get it in the 40's and curious if there's better sets than Dark Armor.

Drakekeeper armor for tanky gameplay, Alva is super light and have good defense but bad at elemental damage, Havels is still the king with great element resistance and high defense but super tanly as hell.

Sir Alonnes armor is the new super light armor with great defense and make less noise than alva, great for dex builds

Mistel

Banned
I can understand the need to nerf Resonant from the 50% bonus, but to make them the same makes zero sense. Why even have Resonant weapon at all when it costs so much more to use and lasts less time. From is losing it here.
Beats me it could be the duality between staff and charm hexes but the black witch staff and sanctum shield kinda nixes that. I've got nothing really.
Probably Llewellyn or Alva maybe a mix between the two. Just by themselves at 49 VIT dark set is 24.7%, Alva is 20.2%, and Llewellyn is 12.7%. With equip load boosting rings you can get them even lower than that.

I think they did it as a drastic measure until they find a more suitable percent it should be. They will probably buff it later, or make it one slot or something.

CentroXer

Banned
Dark and resonant are calculated the same way.

No they're not.

Dark weapon (Adds 50 damage to weapon and increases overall dark damage by 30%)
ex. Weapon has 250 dark damage. Dark weapon adds 50 dark damage (300) then increases all dark damage by 30% for a grand total of 390 dark damage.

Resonant Weapon (adds 50 dark damage and inceases overall dark damage by 50%)
ex. Weapon deals 250 dark damage. Resonant weapon increases by 50 dmg (300) then increases overall dark damage by 50%, for a grand total of 450 dark damage.

if you need video proof I can happily upload to youtube.

No they're not.

Dark weapon (Adds 50 damage to weapon and increases overall dark damage by 30%)
ex. Weapon has 250 dark damage. Dark weapon adds 50 dark damage (300) then increases all dark damage by 30% for a grand total of 390 dark damage.

Resonant Weapon (adds 50 dark damage and inceases overall dark damage by 50%)
ex. Weapon deals 250 dark damage. Resonant weapon increases by 50 dmg (300) then increases overall dark damage by 50%, for a grand total of 450 dark damage.

if you need video proof I can happily upload to youtube.

It used to be 50%, it got nerfed to 30%. Unless you didn't download the patch, it should be a 30% increase.

It used to be 50%, it got nerfed to 30%. Unless you didn't download the patch, it should be a 30% increase.

Either way, I think this is embarrassing for From. They have always done a great job of presenting a spectrum of cost/benefit options in weapons, gear and spells where there isn't always a best, but maybe something that is great in one aspect, but has a drawback or high cost in another area.

Hopefully they correct this soon. Either buff the scaling or raise the stat requirements. Maybe do something a little different and keep the stats the same but make it do something extra like make a Normal damage type weapon act like a Dark infused weapon for its buff duration.

Soulhouf

I didn't touch the game since the first DLC* but when I launched it it downloaded a huge patch which is the 2nd DLC I guess.
Also there is a message that tells me that the current character isn't compatible with any previous version of the game.
Did they make some big game changes lately to justify that?

* I was completely out of the loop of the recent events...

Either way, I think this is embarrassing for From. They have always done a great job of presenting a spectrum of cost/benefit options in weapons, gear and spells where there isn't always a best, but maybe something that is great in one aspect, but has a drawback or high cost in another area.

Hopefully they correct this soon. Either buff the scaling or raise the stat requirements. Maybe do something a little different and keep the stats the same but make it do something extra like make a Normal damage type weapon act like a Dark infused weapon for its buff duration.

or make the duration and power directly based on the stats so you have to invest more points in those stats to get an optimal output of damage.

Resonant Weapon has not been nerfed. I just today tested this by killing giant lord. I have the latest patch and DLC.

why dont you guys believe me?

The wikis say otherwise, and I think there was a patch that stated it got lowered. You could take a video I guess. Plus doesn't weapon damage change based on what part of the weapon hits?

Can't stack self buffs along with other spell based changes that were pretty major that might be it.

Patch 1.06 was the one that changed how it worked.

O ty. Also, If I remember correctly there was mention relating to that issue when they fixed either the Airwalking issue or the binocular backstab thing.

ElTopo

Banned
Beat Alone Knight again and this time on my first try. Though, I did die at least 3-4 times from the Gauntlet. Even with my lighter armor set (at 49% equip load this time) I still found it difficult to roll through his lunging attack.

Top Bottom