• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

From and Namco are missing a huge opportunity here. The game could have so much more PC activity if they supported Steamworks and aesthetic mods for the game. So many games are doing well with skin mods that add a huge new community aspect to keep people around.

Also, where the hell are Cards. Dark Souls 1 and 2 are the biggest games I know that don't have Steam Cards. It may not be a ton of money in the grand scheme of things but it is something.

Mmm yeah but FROM have to support mods and the community and I dont think FROM have steamworks support there, they just published the game and thats all

zkylon

zkylewd
you mean
Fume Knight
? if so, you get one
by killing him too

i don't mean for completition's sake, just because the warmth thing makes the fight really hard

i'll prolly just bonfire ascetic the beginning to get a couple more wedges. does that work?

SoldnerKei

i don't mean for completition's sake, just because the warmth thing makes the fight really hard

i'll prolly just bonfire ascetic the beginning to get a couple more wedges. does that work?

oh yeah, I forgot that he drops the soul fragment, not a wedge, sorry about that, then you should have 10 so far right? but Orochinagis says there's another, I don't recall picking that up, that makes
Sir Alonne
totally optional then

I don't think the company gets money from the cards. I think only Steam gets a cut with each card bough/sold. Which is weird since the company has to make the cards. I could be wrong, they might get a cut, but if they don't they would not benefit from making the cards. I would lvoe cards for both tbh, I'd buy the cards till lvl 5, and HOPEFULLY an Artorias background would be made.

I think the publisher does get money for cards. I might be remembering wrong but when you sell a card it shows two "fees" paid for the transaction. One to the publisher and a smaller one to Valve. In the case of Dota or CSGO items Valve gets both.

zkylon

zkylewd
There is an extra one in a upper room using the elevators inside the tower
oh yeah, I forgot that he drops the soul fragment, not a wedge, sorry about that, then you should have 10 so far right? but Orochinagis says there's another, I don't recall picking that up, that makes
Sir Alonne
totally optional then
i already used my ten and like i deal a lot of damage to
fume knight
but he heals it back up so fast even when he's not all that close to the statue

where exactly would that extra one be? i know there are some things i'm missing

i'm kinda tired of my ng++ character by now tbh heh

I think the publisher does get money for cards. I might be remembering wrong but when you sell a card it shows two "fees" paid for the transaction. One to the publisher and a smaller one to Valve. In the case of Dota or CSGO items Valve gets both.

I looked it up. You're right there's two fees, a 10% and a 5%, for the developers and Valve respectively. So they could end up making more money, if they do make the cards.

I looked it up. You're right there's two fees, a 10% and a 5%, for the developers and Valve respectively. So they could end up making more money, if they do make the cards.

Yep they would but they don't seem very interested. They don't even utilize cloud saves. They gave us such a great port the fact that they left out something so useful is beyond me.

Yep they would but they don't seem very interested. They don't even utilize cloud saves. They gave us such a great port the fact that they left out something so useful is beyond me.

I actually like the no cloud save. That way if a hacker ruins your character or you kill an NPC or something you can move an older backup into the folder.

I actually like the no cloud save. That way if a hacker ruins your character or you kill an NPC or something you can move an older backup into the folder.

That's a good point, but I would imagine they could create some sort of system to detect that and prevent exchanging hacked items.

I guess there are a lot of things they could do to make the game better, but we should just be grateful of the progress they did make on the PC port from the first game to the 2nd. They may be way behind many other developers in this regard, but they at least listened to fans enough to make a port in the first place and showed they could improve in the next iteration. I hope their progress continues.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah i guess i'm running into the fun that is soul memory

very hard to find summons (i was thinking of just using ascetics after getting the last smelter wedge to solo
fume knight
), specially in the
smelter demon
area.

very bummed about this, between soul memory and this smelter wedge thing i feel like i've gotten a taste of the nasty of from's design.

i guess i'll just keep leveling my axe dude...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
i already used my ten and like i deal a lot of damage to
fume knight
but he heals it back up so fast even when he's not all that close to the statue

where exactly would that extra one be? i know there are some things i'm missing

i'm kinda tired of my ng++ character by now tbh heh

Yeah it's annoying. There are 10 wedges pre-last boss, and 1 after defeating the optional boss that's only available after he last boss but then it's useless. WTF?

You can still win if there's one Warmth around though. Just make sure to fight in a section of the room opposite to where the statue is. I had the same problem, I found all the ashen idols and destroyed them all but was missing 1 wedge so the leftmost idol was still active. I had to lure the boss in the right side of the arena at all times. It's doable, since he rarely retreats very far from you. Just a bit annoying. By sticking to that side of the arena, he didn't get healed at all.

Sucks how From punishes you for exploring properly and finding all the ashen idols though... -_- my friend was fine simply because he actually missed one of the idols prior to the boss.

zkylon

zkylewd
exactly

like always keeping one i can understand, but how are you supposed to know you should keep 4 fucking wedges for the final boss

i probably not even gonna bother with
smelter mk2
since reaching him is a bitch and there are no summons on like 12m soul memory

i like to do as much as i can solo but this healing thing frustrates me to no end cos i feel like from's being unfair to me, which is totally unlike them

exactly

like always keeping one i can understand, but how are you supposed to know you should keep 4 fucking wedges for the final boss

smelter mk2

i like to do as much as i can solo but this healing thing frustrates me to no end cos i feel like from's being unfair to me, which is totally unlike them

I guess it depends on each players playthrough. I got to Fume Knight with 6 wedges left and had to go find the rest afterwards.

I also found plenty of summons at 12M SM, but I guess it could have just been because it was the first day of the DLC when everyone was back online. I'm now at nearly 14M SM, and I get summoned pretty quickly for all the bosses.

zkylon

zkylewd
You'll miss out on
Pharros Mask
, though.
yea that's a bummer

I guess it depends on each players playthrough. I got to Fume Knight with 6 wedges left and had to go find the rest afterwards.

I also found plenty of summons at 12M SM, but I guess it could have just been because it was the first day of the DLC when everyone was back online. I'm now at nearly 14M SM, and I get summoned pretty quickly for all the bosses.
yea for
fume knight
there's lots of people but for iron passage it's pretty deserted and the one time i got someone she just died on the way there

tbh i didn't have much trouble against the boss himself but my upgraded moonlight greatsword is useless against him so i gotta use a weaker weapon and you know, retries are pretty painful since getting there is kind of brutal, even through the "shortcut" (specially through the shortcut lol)

ilium

Finally started the 2nd DLC today but i'm not really "feeling" it tbh...
I am only at 2nd or 3rd bonfire but so far i like the first DLC a lot more. Was so excited to play after my vacation, i'll play some more tonight, maybe i'm just not in the right mood.

Playing at NG+++ with a sorcery build 99int 75att...
Was wondering how far in the sorcery clutch ring is located?

i'm scared of smelter 2.0 D:

ElFly

You're better than the Dark Souls wiki. I really hate how they made binoculars a weapon. would have been nice if it remained where it was.

The way I see it, binoculars being a weapon is a plus cause it allows you to easily aim spells, when in DS1 -IIRC- you had to stop looking through the bins to fire your spell.

On the other hand I am told that in the beta, two handing wands or chimes made them aimable so it's a shame we lost that. Maybe they decided to put that function in the binoculars for balance.

ElFly

He only got his big fire/dark sword after
getting beaten by Velstadt with his longsword/greatshield combo, and losing his greatshield in the part of FOFG that looks like Iron Keep for some reason.

Also Velstadt was presumably stronger before he decided to sit around in the Crypt with a hollowing kingcorpse for a few hundred/thousand years.

Dunno about the last part; obvs Velstadt becomes stronger in his fight when he calls for the help of the dark.

CentroXer

Banned
Do you have numbers? Interested to know if Resonant Weapon got a stealthy un-nerfing. But I feel like we would have heard about that by now. Last I tried it there was no reason to go resonant over Dark Weapon. It was definitely the way to go when the game was released though.

video coming up tonight.

gamefaqs forum (yes I know, but they are pretty rabbid about this game) also says resonant weapon is stronger, higher dark damage.

exactly

smelter mk2

Hmm. I have around 12M SM. If you're on PC I could try and help you with Smelter Demon. What I ended up doing to make the path easier was use Froms "shortcut" stop the spawning of all the enemies(way less enemies here than the other way). After the enemies are gone forever, it becomes easy to get through the gate, just roll as the firebomb goes off near you.

Eusis

yeah i guess i'm running into the fun that is soul memory

very hard to find summons (i was thinking of just using ascetics after getting the last smelter wedge to solo
fume knight
), specially in the
smelter demon
area.

very bummed about this, between soul memory and this smelter wedge thing i feel like i've gotten a taste of the nasty of from's design.

i guess i'll just keep leveling my axe dude...
I was lucky to have missed a somewhat out of the way Ashen Idol so I found four and used all four up on that bottom floor. Still had to get further in NG++ to properly beat the DLC but at least I got it mostly cleared out without an overtly irritating boss.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So guys, can we just get it on record how
Sir Alonne's
boss music is probably the best boss theme in all Souls games combined?

yea that's a bummer

yea for
fume knight
there's lots of people but for iron passage it's pretty deserted and the one time i got someone she just died on the way there

tbh i didn't have much trouble against the boss himself but my upgraded moonlight greatsword is useless against him so i gotta use a weaker weapon and you know, retries are pretty painful since getting there is kind of brutal, even through the "shortcut" (specially through the shortcut lol)

I think I am in your range I usually put my summon sign in the tombs.

You should really look for the elevator in the middle section after the second bonfire you will reach a circle esque corridor with two elevators after you placed the key to make them functional.

One takes you to another elevator and leads to another bonfire and the iron king's memory. The second one will take you to a upper section with a smal room being guarded by a minotaur knight, kill him and you will find another wedge

v1perz53

video coming up tonight.

gamefaqs forum (yes I know, but they are pretty rabbid about this game) also says resonant weapon is stronger, higher dark damage.

Even if Resonant Weapon does more damage, by your own numbers it still ends up fairly pointless. You were saying earlier you did 890 damage with resonant, and 845 with dark. That is a 5% damage increase at the cost of one attunement slot (resonant is 2 vs 1 slot for dark), 4 casts for dark vs 2 casts for resonant, a 2000 soul cost per cast of resonant, and higher stat requirements to use resonant weapon. All those tradeoffs for a 5% damage increase. I guess if you purely use chime hexes it could be useful since you just don't have a staff to use for dark weapon?

And sure, high attunement means the extra spell slots aren't a big deal, but if you are using weapon buffs you have some kind of caster/melee build and likely wont have 70+ attunement of pure casters. Just too many downsides to Resonant Weapon to ever have me consider using it, even if it does ever so slightly more damage.

BY2K

Membero Americo
How the fuck is the Iron Keep on top of Harvest Valley!? That doesn't make any goddamn sense!

MY MIND IS FULL OF FUCK.

Mistel

Banned
How the fuck is the Iron Keep on top of Harvest Valley!? That doesn't make any goddamn sense!

MY MIND IS FULL OF FUCK.
None of the geography really makes sense distances compared to the map are far shorter trips. You can even see it if you look at majula obelisk from heide the short little tunnel and you're far along the coast.

MY MIND IS FULL OF FUCK.

Drunk arquitechs strkes again, perspective is really bad in DS2 you can go to the other side of the continent in 20 mins without fast travel

I'm trying to picture it in my mind, and it makes some sense considering Iron Keep isn't directly above Harvest Valley, if I remember correctly. After you fight Medusa and go up the Elevator, you're going straight, which is above an area you have never been to yet. Hard to explain. But basically imagine it as you have the valley, then an entrance to a volcano, then you go up. You also have to remember there wasn't always lava, it used to be a nice kingdom then some weird shit happened.

Mistel

Banned
Not sure how accurate the dlc locations are but here's a map:
drangleic_map_dlcybrqa.jpg

I really wish Brightstone cove Tseldora second bonfire was the PvP spot. Has the little courtyard right next to the church and a bonfire close by. The bridge just bothers me visually. So tired of seeing that damn lava.

Wait how is Iron Keep lower than Earthen peak in that map?

Edit: I'm an idiot. I was looking at it as a completely flat surface rather that factoring in the fact that there's such thing as elevations.

I'm trying to picture it in my mind, and it makes some sense considering Iron Keep isn't directly above Harvest Valley, if I remember correctly. After you fight Medusa and go up the Elevator, you're going straight, which is above an area you have never been to yet. Hard to explain. But basically imagine it as you have the valley, then an entrance to a volcano, then you go up. You also have to remember there wasn't always lava, it used to be a nice kingdom then some weird shit happened.

The overused of the black iron material in the kingdom made it sunken above the lava surface. meawhile in drangelic castle .......

Wait how is Iron Keep lower than Earthen peak in that map?

Edit: I'm an idiot. I was looking at it as a completely flat surface rather that factoring in the fact that there's such thing as elevations.

Yet Earthen peak ingame is just glued to Ironkeep, the distances are so wrong in game.

The overused of the black iron material in the kingdom made it sunken above the lava surface. meawhile in drangelic castle .......

Yet Earthen peak ingame is just glued to Ironkeep, the distances are so wrong in game.

Yeah, distances make very little sense. Which is why the first DLC was so impressive, they improved on the layout significantly.

Yeah, distances make very little sense. Which is why the first DLC was so impressive, they improved on the layout significantly.

Mmm I beg to differ, pure melee classes cant access most of the switches, if you active one and go down there is dont have a way to get back forcing you to use a boneward, aged feather or simply commit suicide all that trouble for a random consumable, high resistance/zero poise enemies in NG, still relying on corridors with a bunch of enemies to punish you.

You can say "use an bow" or "go ranged" but even ranged classes cant deal with some mobs using melee to do certain things and use switches too. I was blown away when I coulnt reach the tree area and asked Storm for advice since normal arrows cant break the statues to get the switch and dont have spells to break them.

And there are some Legend of Zelda moments where the devs helps you giving you a item (normally upgraded) right next to the area where is designed to use your brain and solve the puzzle breaking the puzzle itself.

Mmm I beg to differ, pure melee classes cant access most of the switches, if you active one and go down there is dont have a way to get back forcing you to use a boneward, aged feather or simply commit suicide all that trouble for a random consumable, high resistance/zero poise enemies in NG, still relying on corridors with a bunch of enemies to punish you.

You can say "use an bow" or "go ranged" but even ranged classes cant deal with some mobs using melee to do certain things and use switches too. I was blown away when I coulnt reach the tree area and asked Storm for advice since normal arrows cant break the statues to get the switch and dont have spells to break them.

And there are some Legend of Zelda moments where the devs helps you giving you a item (normally upgraded) right next to the area where is designed to use your brain and solve the puzzle breaking the puzzle itself.

The enemies I will admit piss the living hell out of me. They have infinite stamina, and I take three quarters of their health away, using the LT of power-stanced kings ultra greatsword and no poise break. The corridors I lead them out of it, or use the vertical strike of weapons, which sucks when a player has a weapon that can't do that. For a game that tries to get you to roll more, putting tight corridors seems counterintuitive. All the switches and such can be used with a bow, I don't think you even have to meet the requirements of the bow to activate the switch. As for those statues I ended up using
A Greatbow, figured their huge arrows would be enough to obliterate them, and I was right. It does suck for people who don't have ranged weapons or any attunment though. Other than that the puzzles were a pretty nice touch at times.

The enemies I will admit piss the living hell out of me. They have infinite stamina, and I take three quarters of their health away, using the LT of power-stanced kings ultra greatsword and no poise break. The corridors I lead them out of it, or use the vertical strike of weapons, which sucks when a player has a weapon that can't do that. For a game that tries to get you to roll more, putting tight corridors seems counterintuitive. All the switches and such can be used with a bow, I don't think you even have to meet the requirements of the bow to activate the switch. As for those statues I ended up using
A Greatbow, figured their huge arrows would be enough to obliterate them, and I was right. It does suck for people who don't have ranged weapons or any attunment though. Other than that the puzzles were a pretty nice touch at times.

Yep, bows no longer have hipfire if you dont meet the requirements like DS1, Just never bothered or have the luck to get a great bow so I hit the brickwall hard. The same happened in Iron King's my mage just hit the wall with the smelter demon 2.0

zkylon

zkylewd
Hmm. I have around 12M SM. If you're on PC I could try and help you with Smelter Demon. What I ended up doing to make the path easier was use Froms "shortcut" stop the spawning of all the enemies(way less enemies here than the other way). After the enemies are gone forever, it becomes easy to get through the gate, just roll as the firebomb goes off near you.
that's not a bad idea, i may try it

I think I am in your range I usually put my summon sign in the tombs.

You should really look for the elevator in the middle section after the second bonfire you will reach a circle esque corridor with two elevators after you placed the key to make them functional.

One takes you to another elevator and leads to another bonfire and the iron king's memory. The second one will take you to a upper section with a smal room being guarded by a minotaur knight, kill him and you will find another wedge
i'll look for this, tho are you sure you don't mean the
alonne dude
wedge?

thanks for the encouragement, i might give it another try, i'm not usually one to give up on souls games but some random things frustrate me to the point i stop enjoying the game so u know, might as well just get it over with :I

I was lucky to have missed a somewhat out of the way Ashen Idol so I found four and used all four up on that bottom floor. Still had to get further in NG++ to properly beat the DLC but at least I got it mostly cleared out without an overtly irritating boss.
yeah what's strange is that previous to the boss there's this area with respawning revived armors that makes me think there's yet another nadalia statue i'm missing. but i already have 10 soul pieces.

very weird

that's not a bad idea, i may try it

i'll look for this, tho are you sure you don't mean the
alonne dude
wedge?

thanks for the encouragement, i might give it another try, i'm not usually one to give up on souls games but some random things frustrate me to the point i stop enjoying the game so u know, might as well just get it over with :I

Maybe you missed this one too?

Top Bottom